• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortest journey on NR rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

causton

Established Member
I always thought it was Ryde to Ryde Pier and that was the journey people use to buy season tickets for just to get a Network Gold Card.

I think that's the shortest/cheapest one in the NSE area, the other shorter ones are outside the area and so you do not get a Gold Card with them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've done Birmingham New Street platform 10B to 10A before now...

Errrm, how? Care to explain? :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1N57 (13.25 Stansted - New Street) arrived into 10B to allow the 16.33 Voyager to Eastleigh (as it was then) to use 10A. Most passengers boarded it on 10B but it was then shunted up to 10A so it could depart as booked.

12CSVT

Established Member
1N57 (13.25 Stansted - New Street) arrived into 10B to allow the 16.33 Voyager to Eastleigh (as it was then) to use 10A. Most passengers boarded it on 10B but it was then shunted up to 10A so it could depart as booked.

Many years ago it was possible to make short journeys like this every night when coaches (in passenger service) were shunted on or off sleeper trains at numerous stations.

The rear coach of the down 'Night Riviera' was booked to be removed from the train and shunted into another platform with passengers on board until 2006.

W230

Established Member
But if Railmiles is correct, then we may have a new winner!

City Thameslink to Blackfriars: 14 chains :D
With the amount of signals through the core you can leave either station on greens and still not be in! :D

transmanche

Established Member
I always thought it was Ryde to Ryde Pier and that was the journey people use to buy season tickets for just to get a Network Gold Card.
But there's no direct correlation between a journey length and the fare. Exeter St David's to Exeter Central is further, but cheaper.

Ryde to Ryde Pier Head is 32 chains: 40 x £6 = £240 for a Gold Card
Exeter St David's to Exeter Central is 62 chains: 40 x £5:30 = £212 for a Gold Card​

Whilst City Thameslink to Blackfriars is shorter (14 chains) but more expensive: 40 x £15.90 = £636 for a Gold Card.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A Ryde St Johns Road - Ryde Esplanade annual season ticket is £156 which I understand represents the cheapest way of purchasing a season tickets with Gold Card benefits.

Annual seasons from Newhaven Harbour -Newhaven Town and Pevensey Bay - Pevensey & Westerham are also £156 and qualify for Gold Card benefits.

neilmc

How many other very short journeys are there that no-one would realistically make?

A couple of Local ones I can think of

Manchester Deansgate- Manchester Oxford Road 29 Chains
Manchester Oxford Road to Manchester Piccadilly 43 Chains
Manchester Victoria to Salford Central 59 Chains
Salford Crescent-Salford Central 80 Chains:D
Liverpool Central to Liverpool James Street 37 Chains

I do Piccadilly to Oxford Road quite often when arriving at Piccadilly, rather than walk to Piccadilly Gardens for a bus into South Manchester.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Are you sure? Starcross or Dawlish Warren certainly...

Starcross you can - you can't see Dawlish Warren station though as it's behind the Warren!

TBH in the summer it's quicker to walk to the Docks and catch the Ferry to Starcross

LWB

A Ryde St Johns Road - Ryde Esplanade annual season ticket is £156 which I understand represents the cheapest way of purchasing a season tickets with Gold Card benefits.

Annual seasons from Newhaven Harbour -Newhaven Town and Pevensey Bay - Pevensey & Westerham are also £156 and qualify for Gold Card benefits.

Pardon my ignorance but what are the 'Gold Card benefits'? I am minded of Pamela Stephenson's sketch in Not The Nine O'clock News;)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF-U9nL9Ios)

Topical ending too!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wasn't the main benefit of the 'Ryde season' that SWT also offered 6 free return tickets per year in addition to the general gold card benefits.

So it wasn't just the price that made it popular, as there are other seasons with the same basic cost. I might be out of date on this though...

Lincoln

How about Fisterton to Rolleston? I don't know the mileage but the journey seems very short!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How about Fisterton to Rolleston? I don't know the mileage but the journey seems very short!
It is short (yet crosses a fare boundary, as attendees of our Fares Workshops will know :lol:) but nowhere near as short as previous examples.
What is it?
Define the question precisely, then I'll answer. ;)

For example, is it simply a case of a National Rail train service, or do you mean Network Rail owned tracks? There is a huge difference between them, as National Rail services operate on track owned and/or maintained by other organisations such as London Underground, and an example of the inverse of that would be the Tyne & Wear Metro operating on Network Rail metals.

But it's also unclear how to actually measure the distance. Do you take the distance on foot, between the closest entrances? Or the distance between platforms, or the distance trains actually travel? Some of them are going to be so close that we cannot possibly reach a conclusion without knowing which definition to use ;)

It keeps cropping up, e.g. in 2009 (though the "on the same line" clause caused confusion), also in 2011, and more! Plus several related themes such as Stations that are too close together.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You can see Woking station from West Byfleet, but like many of the other suggestions, it's further than it looks!

Slightly off-topic, but I have a vague memory of two stations on the DLR (one being Canary Wharf which is obviously still open!) that seemed VERY close together.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That'll be Canary Wharf and West India, if I have the name right.

But seriously a lot of the DLR's central stations are within close range of each other.

Comstock

Hi, folks.

How far is Peartree to Derby main station? That's got to be pretty short.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
That'll be Canary Wharf and West India, if I have the name right.

But seriously a lot of the DLR's central stations are within close range of each other.

They are *very* close together.

Canary Wharf and Heron Quays are very close together - to the extent that passengers changing to Canary Wharf on the Jubilee line are advised to use one for Northbound Travel and the other for Southbound travel, but your two are only 71% of that distance apart.

Which does then raise the question of which 3 stations are closest together :p

Mike99

Hi,
As a schoolboy I used to travel from Penge East to Bromley South, from the southbound platform at Penge East squashed up against the fence and the tunnel end it was just possible to see the train at the platform at Sydenham Hill right the way through the tunnel.
Probably a lot of shorter ones but loads of stations around here that you can see the platform of the next station from:

Penge West - Anerley
Lewisham - St. John's
Lower Sydenham - New Beckenham
Worcester Park - Motspur Park
Sutton - Cheam

All spring to mind.

Established Member
It is short (yet crosses a fare boundary, as attendees of our Fares Workshops will know :lol:) but nowhere near as short as previous examples.

Define the question precisely, then I'll answer. ;)

For example, is it simply a case of a National Rail train service, or do you mean Network Rail owned tracks? There is a huge difference between them, as National Rail services operate on track owned and/or maintained by other organisations such as London Underground, and an example of the inverse of that would be the Tyne & Wear Metro operating on Network Rail metals.

But it's also unclear how to actually measure the distance. Do you take the distance on foot, between the closest entrances? Or the distance between platforms, or the distance trains actually travel? Some of them are going to be so close that we cannot possibly reach a conclusion without knowing which definition to use ;)

It keeps cropping up, e.g. in 2009 (though the "on the same line" clause caused confusion), also in 2011, and more! Plus several related themes such as Stations that are too close together.

I was thinking of Network Rail Owned lines and from Platform to Platform.

Eagle

Established Member
Hi,
As a schoolboy I used to travel from Penge East to Bromley South, from the southbound platform at Penge East squashed up against the fence and the tunnel end it was just possible to see the train at the platform at Sydenham Hill right the way through the tunnel.

One mile and 38 chains.

Established Member
G'day
And I'll challenge you :
Fishguard & Goodwick to Fishguard Harbour is 70p adult single :lol:

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Yes, but that is a 70p adult single, my ticket is an evening return :lol:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Guys talking about the fare... Sorry!

http://brfares.com/#fares?orig=LIC&dest=LTV&rlc=

Haven't you noticed that that's another un-answerable question? Keeps coming up again and again!

Although that child single for £0.25 is the cheapest I have, with my own eyes, ever seen.

The funniest thing about that is the weekly season! Hahah!

Status
Not open for further replies.