• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortest Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, but I believe the OP was asking for the shortest end-to-end journey point of a train, whereas that is part of a longer-distance train.

If we were talking about distance between stations, trains between Stratford and Maryland are timed for 1 minute, and between Prestwick International Airport and Prestwick town, must be similar like that, as you can see Prestwick Town station from the Airport station.

ChristopherJ

If it hadn't of ceased in 1959 due to low usage, the Mill Hill Park (now Acton Town) - South Acton branch of the District Line would win as the shortest service on the London Underground network.

It was nicknamed the 'The Tea Run' as it was so short that you could start boiling a kettle just before departure from Acton Town and it would have just finished boiling on arrival back.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Yorkie,

Surely the Blackfriars thing isnt the shortest between stops, i still think it would be the Newhaven Marine branch, check your atlas!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What exactly is the point of the Stourbridge Jn to Town service if it is so short? :?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
heart-of-wessex said:
Yorkie,

Surely the Blackfriars thing isnt the shortest between stops, i still think it would be the Newhaven Marine branch, check your atlas!
I cannot find any trains using Newhaven Marine. My NRT is from last year but does not have Newhaven Marine in the index.

If no trains use it (as appears to be the case - can anyone clarify the situation) then it should be discounted IMO ;)

Also, it depends how you measure it. I'd be shocked if anything was less than the distance between the north end of the platform at City Thameslink and the south end of the platform at Blackfriars. They are long platforms, especially City Thameslink!

The length of the platform at City Thameslink is longer than the distance between it and Blackfriars.

But, as the platform is so long, the distance between stations is rounded up to half a mile in the NRT, but it's effectively less than that.

joy54.gen

There is a train around 21:30 from Seaford- ECS to Newhaven Marine then in service. Its not in the NRT but in the PSUL.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
yorkie said:
heart-of-wessex said:
Yorkie,

I cannot find any trains using Newhaven Marine. My NRT is from last year but does not have Newhaven Marine in the index.

If no trains use it (as appears to be the case - can anyone clarify the situation) then it should be discounted IMO ;)

Also, it depends how you measure it. I'd be shocked if anything was less than the distance between the north end of the platform at City Thameslink and the south end of the platform at Blackfriars. They are long platforms, especially City Thameslink!

The length of the platform at City Thameslink is longer than the distance between it and Blackfriars.

But, as the platform is so long, the distance between stations is rounded up to half a mile in the NRT, but it's effectively less than that.

Sorry Yorkie, I was actually on about distance wise, as i thought you were saying earlier, sorry

Nick W

Established Member
laverack222 said:
What exactly is the point of the Stourbridge Jn to Town service if it is so short? :?

I agree, it looks silly as many people in that area live futher from any station than the distance between both stations.

AlexS

Established Member
It serves it's purpose well actually. It's designed so that people from the stations on the Stourbridge to Snow Hill line, and the line from Kidderminster to Stourbridge, can get to the Stourbridge town centre, as well as the main Stourbridge bus station. It is well used, Centro like it, and it's just a 153 tootling around backwards and forwards (And it actually failed last month!). It is not designed as a service to serve any residential area (directly).

what about:

Anniesland - Kelvindale less than half a mile

Also
Dalreoch - Dumbarton Central
Dumbarton Central - Dumbarton East

Quite a few short distance stations in my area

Status
Not open for further replies.