• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortest Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
What is the shortest journey on the Uk rail network, from start to finish. I.E 18.58 from Hove to Brighton. So the shortest journey with the SAME headcode?

Jim

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
How many miles?

IIRC Hove - Brigton is 5 mins & less than 2 miles

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's got to be Stourbridge Jn to Stourbridge Town. It's about half the distance of Hove-Brighton.

Jim

Established Member
Forgot about that

I wonder how many headcodes are used on that a day :shock:

devon_metro

Established Member
Can we count non-national rail?

As im sure on the P&DSR Paignton to Goodrington must be less than a mile?

Julian G

Established Member
Southern's Sunday services
Clapham Junction-Kensington Olympia

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What about Wakefield Westgate to Wakefield Kirkgate, or Manchester Oxford Road to Deansgate?

T

Tom

I presume we're talking whole journey turns, like Brockenhurst - Lymington Pier, rather than Lymington Town - Lymington Pier?

If we were on LUL, I vote Waterloo - Bank :D, closely followed by Chalfont & Latimer - Chesham. :D

Jim

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
I presume we're talking whole journey turns, like Brockenhurst - Lymington Pier, rather than Lymington Town - Lymington Pier?

Correct TC

If we were on LUL, I vote Waterloo - Bank :D, closely followed by Chalfont & Latimer - Chesham. :D

I won't diagree there either

Guinness

Established Member
If I was on the LU it would be Lancaster Gate - Marble Arch, seriously!

Stood there for 15 minutes waiting for either the 94, 148 or 274 - None of them turned up during the day plus I fancied a trip on the Tube. ;)

Jim

Established Member
laverack222 said:
What about Wakefield Westgate to Wakefield Kirkgate, or Manchester Oxford Road to Deansgate?

TBH, I think Yorkie has got it. I can't really see anything shorter than the Stourbridge Shuttle.About 2 mins going at 20 MPH MAX :shock:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Westgate-Kirkgate is about 0.8 miles but it's part of the Wakefield to Westgate to Selby via all of West Yorkshire route. (Which is, effectively Wakefield-Huddersfield, Huddersfield-Bradford, Bradford-Selby services bolted together and run as one service)

tramboy

If we're going stop to stop on Light Rail, then my votes for shortest journeys would be:

MetroLink: Picadilly Gardens to either Mosley Street or Market Street (so close that you walk two minutes and are there!)

Sheffield: Fitzalan Square to Castle Square to Cathedral is short in my books.

Croydon: Church St-Reeves Corner seems close (but I've not been on Tramlink yet, so can't really comment)

DLR: Canary Wharf-Heron Quays or West India Quays is dead short...the walk is longer cos of the docks though!

There's also Covent Garden to Leicester Square on LU if i recall!

Regards

Dave

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1288gaje said:
and Embankment to Charing Cross on the northern line

Yes that's a very short one, is about 3-4 mins walk between if I remember correctly.

Guinness

Established Member
Jim said:
How many miles?

IIRC Hove - Brigton is 5 mins & less than 2 miles

Wigton - Carlisle isn't my shortest sorry. It was a branch line somwhere in the South I rode on a fair few years ago. Journey took 5 - 10 minutes.

T

Tom

May I remind everyone we're working on termini - termini journey, not stop - stop journey.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Covent Garden - Holborn isnt it? no Leicester square may be right indeed

If there was the shortest distance between stops on the NR network, maybe Newhaven marine branch will win hands down! lol, its two dots together in the atlas with a line in between of like a millometer

T

Tom

Certainly wasn't the shortest, was a minute and a bit ride, Leicester Square - Covent Garden is the smallest stop - stop ride on LU (being only 32 seconds from doors close to doors open).

ChrisM

Stop to stop (mainline) i would say Snow Hill to Moor St :?:
As for whole journey then the Stourbridge would be the shortest,and having been on it recently i would say it should be quicker to walk. :lol:

Jim

Established Member
ChrisM said:
As for whole journey then the Stourbridge would be the shortest,and having been on it recently i would say it should be quicker to walk. :lol:

I agree there Chris

steve158

Jim said:
ChrisM said:

I agree there Chris

it depends on how quick you walk and if you know any short cuts :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
Dalgety Bay-Inverkeithing on the Fife Circle is 1.6 miles.
Is that a service in it's own right? I didn't know about that, I'll look it up when I get home in the NRT.

But even at 1.6 miles that's 3 times the distance of Stourbridge Town-Jn!

AJP

yorkie said:
AJP said:
Dalgety Bay-Inverkeithing on the Fife Circle is 1.6 miles.
Is that a service in it's own right? I didn't know about that, I'll look it up when I get home in the NRT.

But even at 1.6 miles that's 3 times the distance of Stourbridge Town-Jn!

Of course it is :? Every Half an hour on stopper Fife Circle stopper service. ;) I used to use it all the time when I lived in Fife :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
Of course it is :? Every Half an hour on stopper Fife Circle stopper service. ;) I used to use it all the time when I lived in Fife :D
I've looked it up, and the only trains that I can find between those stations are Markinch to Edinburgh or Edinburgh to Edinburgh (cicular route) trains, which cover a vastly higher distance than Stourbridge Town to Stourbridge Junction.

There does not appear to be a Dalgety Bay-Inverkeithing service in it's own right. I can't find any that terminate at either station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ChrisM said:
The question is the shortest service, and it can't possibly be anything other than Stourbridge Town-Jn.

But if you were to ask for the shortest distance between stations then there is absolutely no doubt: City Thameslink to Blackfriars. Nothing comes close!

By the way Stourbridge Jn to Town is timed at 3 mins for half a mile. There's no way I could run it in 3 mins!

Status
Not open for further replies.