• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortest station in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
i'd a hazard a guess it might be gilfach fargoed on the rhymney line in the cardiff valleys...

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
round here would be either Avoncliff or Dilton Marsh...there is the UKs shortest platform somewhere, I saw it in a picture...on a preserved line, was hardly 5 meters long!!

Coxster

Established Member
The UK's smallest station is Damems on the Keighly & Worth Valley Railway.

Tom B

Established Member
The platform at Damems is low too, so soap boxes are availible on the platform for passengers to board.

KevinR

Yea I was thinking Berney Arms on the Norwich - Great Yarmouth (via Reedham) line too...

bluecont

Ok... after some breif research I have the following platform lengths (in metres, listing the maximum length train that can use said platforms)

Organised by region we have:
Western
Dilton Marsh 15
Gilfach Fargoed 16

East Anglia
Berney Arms 18

London North Eastern
Havenhouse 34 48

Midlands
Llandanwg 23
Llandecwyn 22
Tygwyn 22

North West
Birkenhead North Platform 1 - 11 (125,128 others)
Aspartria 35 36 Additioal 137.8, 113.3 unlined
Llanfairpwll 36

Scotland
Duncraig 37
Attadale 40
Corrour 41

Southern
Battersea Pier Staff Halt 3
Durnsford Rd Staff Halt - Up Fast 27
Three Oaks 31

So the shortest mainline platform I could find would be Battersea Pier Staff Halt, with a length of 3m. The shortest passenger platform appears to be Birkenhead North, platform 1 with a length of 11m, and the shortest station appears to be Dilton Marsh at 15m

Ian

Jim

Established Member
There is somwhere in Scotland which was featured in an episode off "trainspotting" a whille back. This madfe mention that Dilton Marsh was not the longest.

bluecont

Tonfanau, claims here to be 92m. I see no shorter stations in Scotland.

For the record I have taken all this data from Network rail information.

Ian

Met Driver

Established Member
Sugar Loaf halt on the HoW also has a very short platform. To give you a rough idea of how short, only one of the two doors on a 153 can fit in the platform.

joy54.gen

The one he refers to in Scotland is Beauly, one stop past Inverness. It did strike me as being very short when I passed through it.

bluecont

Sugar Loaf comes in at 21m, and as I said before, for some reason Beauly doesn't appear on the information I have.

Sorry

Ian

evil_hippo

Passenger trains do not use platform 1 at Birkenhead north AFAIK, in which case it would in fact be Dilton Marsh.

T

Tom

On LUL, I'd say the smallest 'in service' platform is Canada Water on the ELL...

tramboy

On light rail, Queen's Road Depot staff halt on Metrolink has to be a contender for shortest platform...a high level platform the width of one of the double doors! Precise stopping is needed!

Cheers

Dave

Harold

I always thought it was Dilton Marsh as

A: It's a Request stop station
B: It's about a coach length long

what do you think?

HBA135

Lesjordans

isnt Falls of Cruachin (sp) quite short (on the oban line) because the guard only opens the back local door

Status
Not open for further replies.