Shortest timetabled standard class only service to include a first claas section?

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by infobleep, 24 May 2019.

1. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. AM9

AM9 Established Member

Probably one of the shortest regular service that is advertised as standard class only but frequently has a first class area is the LNR St Albans Abbey flyer. Frequently comprising a 319/2 EMU that has a good 2+1 seated first class area.
    Edit: It is just 6 miles 30 chains for the entire journey.

Last edited: 25 May 2019
  4. mm333

mm333 Member

LNER's Hull-Doncaster is 49 miles. Thameslink from Kings Cross-Letchworth is 34 miles.

TPX Leeds-Huddersfield stopper is 17 miles.

5. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

Thameslink:
    London Kings Cross to Welwyn Garden City (20 miles)

ScotRail:
    Glasgow Queen Street to Falkirk Grahamston via Cumbernauld (24 miles?)

6. bionic

bionic Member

7. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

8. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Brighton - Hove on Sundays when it is operated by a 377 will be hard to beat

9. bionic

bionic Member

Yes, I think you've trumped my Tonbridge - Tonbridge Wells here! :D

10. Clansman

Clansman Established Member

In terms of an actual first class, it surely has to be Aberdeen to Dyce, which is around 5 miles by train.

Prior to the timetable change, there was a diagram in which one of the refurbished HSTs would work this Class 2 service during peak time with first class advertised and the buffet open.

11. Whistler40145

Whistler40145 Established Member

Worcester Shrub Hill to Worcester Foregate Street is pretty short distance

12. trainmania100

trainmania100 Established Member

Brighton to Hove usually a 313 but sometimes a 377 that has a first class section and is only a mile or two?

13. bionic

bionic Member

I was also thinking Heathrow Central to Heathrow T4 shuttle but not sure if that has first class. HEX definitely does but think the shuttle is crossrail these days.

14. class387

class387 Established Member

Romford to Upminster is 3 miles 30 chains and can be operated with a 317.

15. 700007

700007 Member

2-car 165s that still have a 1st class area that do the Greenford Branch surely must be a contender? 2.75 miles, 10 minute journey.

Usually isn't these days as a 315 tends to be favoured as it is MTR Crossrail that partially operates the line internally, even if it is branded as Overground.

16. bionic

bionic Member

I think the deciding factors here must be:

Can you buy a first class ticket for this point to point journey?

And

Is first class provided on the train?

Using the above criteria Brighton to Hove seems to be in top spot. Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay, Heathrow Central to T4, Exeter Central to Exeter St David's and Stourbridge Town to Stourbridge Junction, Bromley North to Grove Park etc all seem to fall foul.

17. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

TPE have Manchester Piccadilly - Manchester Oxford Road.

18. wra_relay

wra_relay Member

You can buy Anytime 1s and 1r from Smethwick Rolfe Street to Smethwick Galton Bridge... the 350s are not formally declassified when working the Walsall-Wolverhampton locals!

19. Marton

Marton Member

Darlington Thornaby. One TPE daily with first but no fare shown.

20. thenorthern

thenorthern Established Member

Salford Crescent to Deansgate is possible with a First Class ticket and the journey is just over a mile. Since the electrification has now been completed however I don't think the Class 185s are used on services to Blackpool.

21. Dave91131

Dave91131 Member

Deansgate, I don't believe, is served by any rolling stock with first class accommodation any longer - apart from maybe 319/4's which I know Northern have a few of.

22. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was actually interested in only those services which are not shown in the timetable to have first class but actually use first class rolling stock on the service.

In terms of shortest I had meant in terms of carriage numbers and didn't make that clear enough. However I'm finding this actually rather interesting in itself.

Ans extending it to the shortest journey with advertised first class would also be interesting

23. Peter C

Peter C Member

I saw that a GWR 165 at Oxford (just finished a service from Didcot Parkway) had a 1st class area. Surely a 165 with a 1st class area on a DID - OXF service would be the shortest distance between, say, DID and the next stop, e.g. Appleford?

-Peter

24. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

When those units work local stoppers between Didcot & Oxford, the first class area is declassified.

25. Peter C

Peter C Member

Oh OK. Thanks! If only I'd known that when I did that journey on Saturday! :)
    -Peter

26. RailWonderer

RailWonderer Member

@infobleep
    Slough to Windsor and Eton sometimes runs 166 turbos with first. 6 or 7 min journey time

27. 53703

53703 Member

Do TPE still do a jounery on Cleethorpes to Barton line? Might be in with a shout something like Grimsby Docks to Grimsby Town

28. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

However whilst a 185 is used on the first/last train of the day, it is standard class only.

29. Wilts Wanderer

Wilts Wanderer Member

There’s a Frome-Westbury service late evening which regularly produces a 166 with declassified First. Journey time about 7 mins. In the past there was a similar working (advertising First Class) utilising a full HST...

Elsewhere there have been Paignton-Newton Abbot services using intercity rolling stock.

30. Max

Max Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This service isn't advertised as standard class only as far as I can tell. I recently took this on a First Advance as part of a Hull-London journey and there were several first class ticket holders sitting in first class; there were even some complimentary refreshments offered!

31. Dr Hoo

Dr Hoo Established Member

Back in BR days, when there was a degree of portion working between Carstairs and Edinburgh and a few odd ‘connections’ at peculiar times it wasn’t unknown for specials to be rustled up at short notice when things got out of kilter. A shabby Mark I ‘brake composite’, with four compartments - standard smoking and non-smoking plus first smoking and non smoking - was kept at Carstairs and was occasionally run on its own with any locomotive that happened to be around. This wasn’t very popular for brake force reasons but did happen apparently. (Not strictly relevant to this thread as on an ‘InterCity’ connection passengers might have either class of ticket.)