• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should ČD/ÖBB Replace their 680s/4011s with Railjet?

Should ČD/ÖBB Replace their 680/4011s with Railjet?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
Started to wonder if ČD/ÖBB Replace their 680s/4011s with Railjet services in case availability of locomotives.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Haven't these trains run front line services for 15 years or more, on routes that benefit from tilt operation?
Why would either operator want to dump them?
I've been on both, and they are very comfortable trains (especially the ICE-T).

ÖBB will need more fast trains when the new tunnel routes open c2026, not sure about ČD.

Veteran Member
Started to wonder if ČD/ÖBB Replace their 680s/4011s with Railjet services in case availability of locomotives.....
You realise these are different trains?
4011 are 3 of the DB class 411 (ICE-T) fleet - despite Wikipedia calling them Pendolinos - which interwork on the Vienna-Passau-Frankfurt etc route and are sometimes coupled at Passau to a second unit.
The CD sets are early Pendolini but have plenty of life in them. I can't see CD being able to afford replacements, and there's nowhere obvious to cascade them to. Their core route is the unsubsidized Prague-Ostrava line.
However, I think you are right that Railjet sets could do the job - there's very little difference in timings.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You realise these are different trains?
4011 are 3 of the DB class 411 (ICE-T) fleet - despite Wikipedia calling them Pendolinos - which interwork on the Vienna-Passau-Frankfurt etc route and are sometimes coupled at Passau to a second unit.
The CD sets are early Pendolini but have plenty of life in them. I can't see CD being able to afford replacements, and there's nowhere obvious to cascade them to. Their core route is the unsubsidized Prague-Ostrava line.
However, I think you are right that Railjet sets could do the job - there's very little difference in timings.

DB/ÖBB's ICE-Ts use Fiat/Alstom tilt ("Pendolino") technology.
It has the maker's plate to prove it.

Established Member
I can't speak for the Czech units, but I've voted no as I find the ICE-Ts far more comfortable than the Railjets.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The 680s have their own sort of "premium" feeling as seating is 2+1 throughout (the first class is a similar black leather job to Railjet).

Granted they don't impact on journey times too much (and I'm sure that very occasionally a Railjet set does actually make it to Ostrava, booked or not- I know one is booked to make it to Ostrava Airport once a year)

Austriantrain

Established Member
I can't speak for the Czech units, but I've voted no as I find the ICE-Ts far more comfortable than the Railjets.

I agree.
Anyway, ÖBB 4011 run in a common fleet with DB 411 and their ability to tilt is necessary to keep to the timetable between Passau and Nürnberg.

As long as the ICE-T-fleet keeps on running, there is zero justification to replace ÖBB 4011 with Railjets (of which there are barely enough anyway and new RJ2 have only been ordered for the Brenner route until now).

Status
Not open for further replies.