• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should bus windows be locked open to improve ventilation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

Having almost argued with a fellow passenger about keeping the windows open, I wonder whether bus companies should take the choice out of the passengers' hands and just lock them open?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Having almost argued with a fellow passenger about keeping the windows open, I wonder whether bus companies should take the choice out of the passengers' hands and just lock them open?

I assume you mean during COVID? I don't think it's possible, however you certainly could have something like the French sometimes have, namely signage stating (the opposite of normal) "If there is a dispute about the window position, it must be open".

AnkleBoots

I assume you mean during COVID? I don't think it's possible, however you certainly could have something like the French sometimes have, namely signage stating (the opposite of normal) "If there is a dispute about the window position, it must be open".
That's right. As winter approaches, people will be worried about being cold, but maximum ventilation seems more important.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I don't think it's necessary to have every window open - two or three should suffice to aid with ventilation. I do expect a few more of these "disputes" as winter approaches.

At least passengers might be able to see out of the windows if some are kept open in the winter, mind!

westv

Established Member
Why not just remove all the glass? Would save any arguments. Job done.

johnnychips

Established Member
It is absolutely irrelevant as people wearing masks on the bus will stop the spread of the virus. ;)

102 fan

I don't know if you're serious or not, it's such a ludicrous statement.

ASharpe

A positive pressure environment that can push out pathogens is very logical - but I don't think a few small windows down the side of a bus provide that.

The door kept open and back window removed and I think we might have a solution - might get a bit cold though.

I'm all for marginal gains like a few side windows open or just consistency between different scenarios. But if they lead to confrontation and arguments then they are not worth it.

Freightmaster

Established Member
The door kept open and back window removed and I think we might have a solution - might get a bit cold though.
Would also need to travel 50mph+ at all times... ;)

d01g1lline22-19p6-x-17lines.jpg

(still from the movie 'Speed')

MARK

radamfi

Established Member
Even in the middle of winter there is always someone who wants the window open. This is one of the reasons why I stopped travelling by bus. Trains are still usable because they have air conditioning, at least on most modern trains. I guess this is one way of stopping transmission by bus travel - by making sure nobody uses the bus because it is too cold.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Even in the middle of winter there is always someone who wants the window open. This is one of the reasons why I stopped travelling by bus. Trains are still usable because they have air conditioning, at least on most modern trains. I guess this is one way of stopping transmission by bus travel - by making sure nobody uses the bus because it is too cold.

Its also a very good way of making public transport unsustainable, because empty buses and trains do not pay for themselves.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I think we’ve gone far enough now to appease the coronaphobes. Masks on buses are understandable. But if they truly do prevent the virus escaping, why do we need ventilation via open windows? If masks don’t work, a cold breeze down the bus will aid the spread! I don’t like the idea of being forced to freeze inside the bus, if the weather is bad. Those who are that afraid of the virus who aren’t satisfied with masks alone as mitigation really ought to stay home or find some other mode of transport.

Never thought I’d say anything positive about the Class 700 units on the railway. Yes, the seats might not be comfortable, but at least they are sealed units so that windows cannot be opened. In my experience of older stock, the person opening a window next to them gets little or no benefit. The people further down the carriage do, however, get a draught on them, whether they want it or not !

Andy Pacer

Established Member
In fairness where I work the drivers have been told on their first use inspection to open the windows, but I suppose they can't control if a passenger closes them.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
In fairness where I work the drivers have been told on their first use inspection to open the windows, but I suppose they can't control if a passenger closes them.
Has anyone in your bus company come up with any explanation of why they feel this is necessary?

class17

.......... In my experience of older stock, the person opening a window next to them gets little or no benefit. The people further down the carriage do, however, get a draught on them, whether they want it or not !

Exactly. True of all busses, especially small busses. If you sit at the back on single decker's, (higher up and closer to the windows that do not deflect the draught from the open window) then it is very uncomfortable if you are sat further back from an open window.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Exactly. True of all busses, especially small busses. If you sit at the back on single decker's, (higher up and closer to the windows that do not deflect the draught from the open window) then it is very uncomfortable if you are sat further back from an open window.
Agreed. It often amuses me to see people board a bus and close the window directly above where they choose to sit. Won't make a difference to them if others remain open.

102 fan

It wasn't a wind up? Management are ordering windows opened in colder Autumnal weather. Words fail me. People are loosing any wit they have due to Covid.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
It wasn't a wind up? Management are ordering windows opened in colder Autumnal weather. Words fail me. People are loosing any wit they have due to Covid.
No, although this was part of the Covid arrangements so was spring/summer rather than autumn.

radamfi

Established Member

I guess they don't want anyone to travel on their buses, so that they can get government bailout as long as possible.

radamfi

Established Member
Perhaps they really do think ventilation is helpful under the circumstances?

A cold bus is basically the same as no bus. Bus travel is unattractive as it is, but who's going to use a cold bus when they have a car with heating?

Richard Scott

Established Member
A cold bus is basically the same as no bus. Bus travel is unattractive as it is, but who's going to use a cold bus when they have a car with heating?
Exactly, another industry that will see a fall in income then drivers will lose jobs, fewer new buses will be needed (many of which are still built in UK) so even more job losses. Stupid rules with little or no benefit are going to cost this country dearly.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
In fairness people can always close them. The issue is if they are locked open which is the purpose of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.