• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should drugs be legalised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chz

Show me the evidence which you based your claim that no people in the USA died of cannabis in 2008. Or were you making it up?

I would prefer to base legal decisions on more than a 'feeling'. Remember, "the law is reason free from passion".

The LD50 of THC is so ridiculously high that you'd die of carbon monoxide inhalation long before the active ingredients of cannabis killed you if you tried to smoke that much (see below). In reality you'd be passed out on the couch before you did yourself any serious harm. In contrast, it's not extremely difficult to actually drink yourself to death. The long term effects of excessive drinking are more significant, as well. Not to let weed off - it's worse for the lungs than tobacco, but at least very few stoners smoke as much as a hardcore nicotine addict.

I find the zero death statistic quite suspect though. I'm sure more than one stoner passed out and burned the house down or drove off the road.

Obligatory wikipedia quote:
One estimate of THC's LD50 for humans indicates that about 1500 pounds (680 kilograms) of cannabis would have to be smoked within 14 minutes. This estimate is supported by studies which indicate that the effective dose of THC is at least 1000 times lower than the estimated lethal dose (a "therapeutic ratio" of 1000:1). This is much higher than alcohol (therapeutic ratio 10:1), cocaine (15:1), or heroin (6:1).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Nope drugs and alcohol only. Some people who use drugs know that if they OD etc, they will always be helped, and it must cost this country millions every year. In most cases, there is little you can do to prevent car crashes/tool injuries, whereas with drugs/alcohol, 100% of the time it is about self control.

So if someone comes into casualty with an overdose they shouldn't be helped? OK.

A small child swallows a load of pills by mistake - what do you suggest we do?

Freakofnature

So if someone comes into casualty with an overdose they shouldn't be helped? OK.

A small child swallows a load of pills by mistake - what do you suggest we do?

I think the point he is getting at is that you can purposely overdose (suicide, just wanting to get high etc)

But then you can accidentally overdose etc as in your example with the child.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
And how do you assess whether it was deliberate or not? There will be vases where the doctor won't know (and doesn't need to either).

Perhaps you will ask all od's to pay for their treatment? Some of them won't be in a condition to pay or won't be able to. So, do you treat them on the hope that when they recover they will pay, or do you not do anything until they pay?

I think it's evident that this would never work.

me123

Established Member
You're absolutely right. In many cases of overdose, it's impossible to tell what happened right away. Indeed, it may be the case that someone's had their drink "spiked" with a drug. How do you differentiate them from someone who's deliberately and knowingly taken the drug?

This would not be dissimilar to telling a victim of rape that it's "their fault".

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Take the argument further and refuse treatment to anyone who has contributed to their medical problem. This will include overweight people, smokers, drinkers, people who don;t eat five protions of fruit and veg a day, those who don;t clean their teeth twice day, anyone who goes walking in the mountains in bad weather, people who play contact sports, the list could go on and on. We would end up with a lot of money saved because hardly anyone would be classed as deserving free treatment.

me123

Established Member
I'm a medical student, and at one point some students chose to undertake a project in which they should "practice what they preach"; ie, to not smoke, eat a healthy balanced diet including your five portions of fruit and veg, drink only within the recommended limits, undertake the recommended amount of physical activity each day, etc, etc...

Needless to say it was an eye opening experience for them! It's not impossible, but it is very difficult to live exactly by the recommended guidelines. Some are easier than others; not smoking is an easy thing to do (although obviously smokers need motivation and support to quit), but finding the time to exercise 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, at a moderate intensity can be quite difficult depending on the person.

It's a slight deviation. But the point is, if you're going to make people pay for healthcare unless they're adhering to the guidelines, then most if not all of us will be paying.

mumrar

Established Member
This debate has derailed slightly into an argument for the legalisation of cannabis. Nobody seems willing to address the question which is about the legalisation of all outlawed drugs.

Do you think we'd be better of with legalised heroin, cocaine, LSD, crystal methadone, meow meow etc.

My personal view is not. You cannot use the argument of self control, just walk up any high street on a Fri or Sat night to see too many people have no self control. Also, these drugs are far more addictive than alcohol or tobacco and the problems associated with an increased need for the 'next hit' are where the biggest crime figures come from. I don't believe that would change if the drugs were legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.