• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

should i complain to Southern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Yesterday I tried to catch the Southern service (2049 i think) from Fareham, which was 7 mins late, and it was supposed to get there at 2108, and i wanted the 2112, last one to salisbury to get ot exeter, or go via Bristol, but either way it was the last one that i could get for a connection to Exeter or Taunton for my sleeper to Penzance.

So just before Southampton we are about 3 mins late or so, driver is picking up time, thumbs up to the driver, thumbs down to the guard!

I had to find him as he didnt do any checks, and asked if we'll be on time into Southampton as I needed to make the connection, and I believe the rules are is they should ensure that that connection is held (it would only be 1-2mins anyway!) but the guard said its probably behind us....erm no it starts at southampton, then I said can you hold the trian for me, and all he could come up with was 'well if the trains there, its there'

we came in at 2113, so missed the 2112 by 1 MINUTE! grr! so I had to take the 2222 to Westbury then go home or id be stuck and still didnt finish off my rover today thanks to that guard, if i made it id be in penzance nice and early but no if i went today would of got there alot later!

Is it worth comnplaining to Southern about this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Who was the connecting service operated by?

Wessex or South West Trains or Southern?

Met Driver

Established Member
It's unlikely that a four minute connection would count as an official connection. I advise you to find that out before taking your complaint any further.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So that's a 4 min connection at Southampton Central from an SN train to an SW train? If so, I am very sorry but that is not a valid connection, if I understand correctly.

Valid connections are 5 minutes, with some exceptions. Southampton Central has a connection time of 5 mins, except where you are changing from SN to SN, or from SW to SW. If your change involves VT or is from SN to SW, then the standard 5 minutes applies. (At least, this is how I understand it - I am prepared to be corrected if anyone knows any different).

It may be pedantic but if your connection was 5 rather than 4 minutes it would have been valid. That doesn't mean the train will be held but it means they do have to get you home.

T

Tom

Just looked into connection times, SWT recommend 5 minutes for connections at Southampton Central.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tubechallenger said:
Just looked into connection times, SWT recommend 5 minutes for connections at Southampton Central.
Just 4 mins if just between SWT services. Although that's the official minimum, I'd recommend more!

T

Tom

I'm afraid to say that it wouldn't be a valid connection then. Sorry. :(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
heart-of-wessex said:
GRR last time i try that service then!
Well, it's a risk, you're own risk to take. You have to be happy that if you miss it you can still get back. If you are prepared to do so then go for it. If not, don't ;)

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
well really i had no choice but to get that once, but the rails were too slippy for the 377 and didnt make it as it could of, iven th 2222 was late had a VERY hard time trying to get out of the stations!

joeholmes

I was planning to meet MOJO at Bristol on Saturday and FGW gave me a 30 sec connection from my 166 from MAI to the HST!! I was so furious...

(it was an hourly service)

Joe

Jim

Established Member
I think you should complain, not about missing it, but about the atitude of the Guard. Was he reading the paper?

ChrisM

Southern guards very rarely check tickets and i have never seen one walk through between Fareham and Southampton.
The Southern service into Southampton are normally always down by the time they reach Fareham and not alot the guard could have done anyway.

T

Tom

joeholmes said:
I was planning to meet MOJO at Bristol on Saturday and FGW gave me a 30 sec connection from my 166 from MAI to the HST!! I was so furious...

(it was an hourly service)

Joe

That won't be even an official connection...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The TT does not say that that time is a valid connection, but the online journey planner did.

Status
Not open for further replies.