• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I continue my Conductor application in current climate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Yeoman

Hi everyone.

I currently have an open application for the conductor role. I'm working as a Police Officer which is a very stable job with pretty much 0% chance of being made redundant (cuts in the Police come from not replacing outgoing officers rather than redundancies).
Am I making a mistake? I'm not happy in my current role but it's secure whereas all I'm reading about conductor jobs online is that they are likely to be cut in the medium term...

Is it scaremongering or realistic ?

Thanks
Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RSrimbo

Depends on which toc you are going for I suppose in terms of what might happen with conductors. But if you’re not happy, then it’s a no brainer, and once you’re on the railway, there are plenty of options to progress in your career

The One

If you even apply and become successful and for some reason conductors are made redundant you will be offered another position within the railway certain of it you can either stay safe and be unhappy or you can take a little risk and progress different career you can always consider driving once foot in door

Firestarter

Depends on which toc you are going for I suppose in terms of what might happen with conductors. But if you’re not happy, then it’s a no brainer, and once you’re on the railway, there are plenty of options to progress in your career

What he says

Hi everyone.

I currently have an open application for the conductor role. I'm working as a Police Officer which is a very stable job with pretty much 0% chance of being made redundant (cuts in the Police come from not replacing outgoing officers rather than redundancies).
Am I making a mistake? I'm not happy in my current role but it's secure whereas all I'm reading about conductor jobs online is that they are likely to be cut in the medium term...

Is it scaremongering or realistic ?

Thanks
Paul

If you're unhappy and you can't improve that by changing your role where you are, then I'd say its time to move on. You should be waking up wanting to go to work and not dreading it and as others have said even if the Guards role changes at some point in your railway career, there will be other opportunities along the way.

Good luck!

Teddyward

Hanging on to a warrant card for all the years I was unhappy and stressed was the biggest mistake I ever made. Go for it.

Trico382

I left the police to driving and it was the best decision I ever made. If you are unhappy and aware of the jobs decline (it changed quite drastically in my 11 years) then I would go for it. There was conductors/guards on my intake for driving so it is quite a natural move to make and only enhances your chances of getting that role should you so wish. My advice....go for it

Numbnuts846

I've been a guard for near on 15 years . I would say for me the job has changed massively in that time , we have had small snippets removed from our role over the years . I would say depending what toc you are going for it's a no brainer . Join the railway .

The Ham

Established Member
It depends on what your concerns are.

Given that, as I understand it, the move to DOO has resulted in less guards needing to be recruited, but not less gaurds overall. As such I would side with what others have said and continue with your application.

Paul Yeoman

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm excited about the job so I'm happy to continue. I've completed the online assessment for Northern a couple of weeks ago, the application has changed from "assesment" to "in process"... Fingers crossed

The Ham

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm excited about the job so I'm happy to continue. I've completed the online assessment for Northern a couple of weeks ago, the application has changed from "assesment" to "in process"... Fingers crossed

Good luck.

Good luck ! Happy for you Very few make it.

GLENMAYE77

What’s the training and qualified salaries for a Guard with Northern?
Doesn’t list it on their job adverts anymore.

MikeB89

What’s the training and qualified salaries for a Guard with Northern?
Doesn’t list it on their job adverts anymore.

I start my conductor training on 4th March at Leeds. Training is 3 months and salary is around £21k whilst training and rises to £28,250 after training. I should imagine salaries are different at other depots though.

Status
Not open for further replies.