• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I have a day rail trip for pleasure on my conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
From home, since the end of March I've not been further than Longridge - by car. I feel it's now time to get my leisure time back, and have a train ride to the Lakes for a walk and a few beers. I know that people have been slated for going to the seaside, some by train no doubt. But we can't stay put for ever, and summer's quickly turning to autumn. And l;ocal businesses need my custom.

What are the feelings about this? After all early next month I'm going to Brighton for a break, but is me going on a train for pleasure stillmorally wrong??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
Thanks - is this the feeling amongst the majority of rail staff? Will do me the world of good, I remember when caring I was allowed one day off per month and it was a godsend. One thing I won't do is have a beer on the train - keep the mask on and as a nod to my fellow passengers.

Non Multi

Go, it's fine. The trains outside rush hour are mainly carting around fresh air. I'd visit quieter, less well known coastal resorts for a day out to the seaside, or wait till the school kids go back in September.

Established Member
Thanks - is this the feeling amongst the majority of rail staff? Will do me the world of good, I remember when caring I was allowed one day off per month and it was a godsend. One thing I won't do is have a beer on the train - keep the mask on and as a nod to my fellow passengers.

Do it, do it, do it. Most staff members (at least the sensible ones) want to see passengers returning. There’s something dystopian - and clearly unsustainable - about operating ECS everywhere.

Have a beer on the train, by all means!

BJames

Established Member
To be honest it doesn't matter what the majority of rail staff think. You're allowed to go on a journey, there's a new campaign launching to attract people back to the railway. Please go. It will do you good. But if you are that concerned, let me just say that all the TOC staff I've come across so far have been great.

Howardh

Established Member
Great, a pleasure trip, not a guilt trip! That should be a slogan!!

al78

Established Member
Yes. I travelled from Horsham to Hassocks for leisure and no-one batted an eyelid.

Non Multi

A real problem you may encounter is the fact that some councils still haven't reopened all their public toilets. So if you find one open, use it!

LowLevel

Established Member
Go, it's fine. The trains outside rush hour are mainly carting around fresh air. I'd visit quieter, less well known coastal resorts for a day out to the seaside, or wait till the school kids go back in September.

Our leisure/off peak trains are very much busier than our peak ones at the minute but regardless of that - crack on I say. It is nice to see people out and about again.

Howardh

Established Member
A real problem you may encounter is the fact that some councils still haven't reopened all their public toilets. So if you find one open, use it!
No worries, out in the country and then inside the pub! In the past the key for the toilet at Windermere station gets handed over by the ticket staff, I hope that still applies. Although no doubt I'll be popping into Booths for some mint cake and they have excellent facilities.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Do it!

Just of course maintain social distancing, wear a face covering and ideally travel off peak. Enjoy it whilst it lasts - I'm currently on my way home from work at rush hour with an entire carriage to myself!!

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm considering a trip along the West Highland Line at some point, but Scotrail are really laying it on thick with essential travel only warnings right now. Anyone know what WHL loadings are like at the minute?

Howardh

Established Member
I'm considering a trip along the West Highland Line at some point, but Scotrail are really laying it on thick with essential travel only warnings right now. Anyone know what WHL loadings are like at the minute?
Just as a Covid aside, I notived the map of current CV levels put the highlands into the red territory, a staggering 200% increase in cases.

It's doubled from one to two.

6Gman

Established Member

Isn't The Jacobite running?

How is that "essential" travel?

Journeyman

Established Member
Just as a Covid aside, I notived the map of current CV levels put the highlands into the red territory, a staggering 200% increase in cases.

It's doubled from one to two.

I think I can cope with that. :)

Weekender

I have booked an off peak day return from Gloucester to Bath this Saturday, if my face covering causes problems with my asthma, i would consider breaking the journey at Bristol. Can anyone tell me, would I be able to leave the station for some fresh air and then continue the journey on a later train. Would that be allowed on an off peak day return ticket?

Fisherman80

Go for it Howard! I've just bought a freedom of the north country rover and I intend to get as many trips in!

route101

Established Member
Isn't The Jacobite running?

How is that "essential" travel?

Yeah , Alex Hyne was retweeting the Jacobite starting up, must be close to dropping the message.

Ive made a few leisure trips now. Enjoyed yesterdays , services still quiet.

route101

Established Member
I have booked an off peak day return from Gloucester to Bath this Saturday, if my face covering causes problems with my asthma, i would consider breaking the journey at Bristol. Can anyone tell me, would I be able to leave the station for some fresh air and then continue the journey on a later train. Would that be allowed on an off peak day return ticket?

Certianly you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.