• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I have a day rail trip for pleasure on my conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I have booked an off peak day return from Gloucester to Bath this Saturday, if my face covering causes problems with my asthma, i would consider breaking the journey at Bristol. Can anyone tell me, would I be able to leave the station for some fresh air and then continue the journey on a later train. Would that be allowed on an off peak day return ticket?
Yep, Off-Peak Day Returns such as Gloucester to Bath allow break of journey. Whether it's to get some fresh air (bear in mind you only need to wear a face covering whilst on the train itself, not the station), to have a look at Bristol, get some food, whatever, it's permitted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Yep, Off-Peak Day Returns such as Gloucester to Bath allow break of journey. Whether it's to get some fresh air (bear in mind you only need to wear a face covering whilst on the train itself, not the station), to have a look at Bristol, get some food, whatever, it's permitted.

One might argue that with "avoid busy trains" being generally advised, break of journey restrictions should not be enforced so passengers can leave the station and return during a less busy period.

mmh

Established Member
Go for it Howard, I recall you've had a some big trials and tribulations in the recent past and you deserve to enjoy yourself!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One might argue that with "avoid busy trains" being generally advised, break of journey restrictions should not be enforced so passengers can leave the station and return during a less busy period.

Other than on Advances, my experience is that they aren't anyway, other than a couple of posts on here about the Clapham Junction barrier staff being silly and not allowing visits to M&S Food because it's technically off railway property, which TBH if I encountered that I'd tap my debit card on the barrier to get out and get the unresolved journey refunded, claiming to have done it by accident, then go back in on the other entrance.

mmh

Established Member
Other than on Advances, my experience is that they aren't anyway, other than a couple of posts on here about the Clapham Junction barrier staff being silly and not allowing visits to M&S Food because it's technically off railway property, which TBH if I encountered that I'd tap my debit card on the barrier to get out and get the unresolved journey refunded, claiming to have done it by accident, then go back in on the other entrance.

Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've never been refused to leave a station even on an advance ticket. "Just popping out for a cigarette" always works, I'd recommend it even to non-smokers. London, as ever, can be the exception to the rule, I've been refused entry on a perfectly valid off-peak ticket originating at that station because sadly some staff don't understand that time restrictions are based on your journey, not TFL's concept of it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You should have your leisure trip for the good of the railway, and society as a whole.

Howardh

Established Member
Wonderful replies! Totally relaxed about it all now, and the map shows me a little pub tucked away in the back streets of Windermere, hope to call in. Think the railways need to get pax onto trains, every pub landlord in my town has said that footfall is nowhere near what they expected (and they didn't expect much) and people are still if not scared, more cautious, maybe don't want to take an unnecessary risk. Understandable.

But if the CV figures stay stable, with the distancing requirements of bars and eateries, there's no reason for the majority to stay indoors in my opinion, and the transport industry needs to back that up with more normal timetables and publicity.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From home, since the end of March I've not been further than Longridge - by car. I feel it's now time to get my leisure time back, and have a train ride to the Lakes for a walk and a few beers. I know that people have been slated for going to the seaside, some by train no doubt. But we can't stay put for ever, and summer's quickly turning to autumn. And l;ocal businesses need my custom.

What are the feelings about this? After all early next month I'm going to Brighton for a break, but is me going on a train for pleasure stillmorally wrong??
It is absolutely the right thing to do.

I feel we owe it to people who work in the tourism & travel sector to support their jobs, and the use of public transport (if you're not walking/cycling) is the best way to do it for the environment.

The fact that some unscrupulous individuals try to suggest otherwise is unforgiveable and I'd like to have an argument with any such people (it'd be the full argument, not the 5 minute one ;))
But if the CV figures stay stable, with the distancing requirements of bars and eateries, there's no reason for the majority to stay indoors in my opinion, and the transport industry needs to back that up with more normal timetables and publicity.
I've been going outdoors as much as possible in recent months and I am still keeping up my good record when it comes to viruses. Had I remained indoors, I would have become ill. In fact I came very close to being very ill at certain points due to the lockdown situation. I know how to stay fit and healthy and staying at home is NOT the answer, never has been, and never will be.

Enjoy!

Freightmaster

Established Member
I know that people have been slated for going to the seaside, some by train no doubt.
That because tens of thousands of people all decided to visit the beach en masse over one 48 hour period,
and while most behaved themselves, a significant minority caused problems with littering, illegal parking, etc.

In comparison, nobody is going to bat an eyelid at one, respectful person going walking in the lakes by train.

MARK

142blue

On Moderation
Go out and enjoy yourself. Just think of others whatever you are doing

Howardh

Established Member
It is absolutely the right thing to do.

I feel we owe it to people who work in the tourism & travel sector to support their jobs, and the use of public transport (if you're not walking/cycling) is the best way to do it for the environment.

The fact that some unscrupulous individuals try to suggest otherwise is unforgiveable and I'd like to have an argument with any such people (it'd be the full argument, not the 5 minute one ;))

I've been going outdoors as much as possible in recent months and I am still keeping up my good record when it comes to viruses. Had I remained indoors, I would have become ill. In fact I came very close to being very ill at certain points due to the lockdown situation. I know how to stay fit and healthy and staying at home is NOT the answer, never has been, and never will be.

Enjoy!
In the early days I was acutely depressed, possibly clinically so, but like everyone else had to think "at least not fighting for life in a ventilator" and just had to carry on. The biggest issue was simply not being able to be face-to-face with anyone professional, not even a nurse or doctor, the surgery wasn't accepting anything other than telephone consultations; so for two months the only real people I saw were the assistants at Lidl. It's difficult to chat in a queue 2m apart, which was stringently enforced!

I think what caused the depression wasn't the acutal situation....but the (at the time) lack of a road-map out of it. How long...how long...how long, like being imprisoned without a release date. Psychologically a huge amount in the country must have suffered the same.

So glad we are now more-than-partially released. Its' the sword hanging over us that it may return in late autumn. And, of course, wasn't the weather typically brilliant?? Still, make up for it now, huh?

Fisherman80

In the early days I was acutely depressed, possibly clinically so, but like everyone else had to think "at least not fighting for life in a ventilator" and just had to carry on. The biggest issue was simply not being able to be face-to-face with anyone professional, not even a nurse or doctor, the surgery wasn't accepting anything other than telephone consultations; so for two months the only real people I saw were the assistants at Lidl. It's difficult to chat in a queue 2m apart, which was stringently enforced!

I think what caused the depression wasn't the acutal situation....but the (at the time) lack of a road-map out of it. How long...how long...how long, like being imprisoned without a release date. Psychologically a huge amount in the country must have suffered the same.

So glad we are now more-than-partially released. Its' the sword hanging over us that it may return in late autumn. And, of course, wasn't the weather typically brilliant?? Still, make up for it now, huh?
By the sounds of it Howard you need a bit of a break. I'm one of those who is totally dependent on public transport. As I'm writing this,I'm onboard the 2144 from Preston to Leeds. The passengers are mainly daytrippers who have had a day out in Blackpool I suspect. This is my 4th trip out in about 3 weeks and I do not feel uncomfortable whatsoever.

stevetay3

It is ok to now travel for leisure trips, I received a email from Great Western thanking me for using there service yesterday and thay look forward to me travelling with them again.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I type this on the last leg of a 500-mile day trip, including a cross-London connection.

Trains very quiet (enjoy it whilst it lasts!), and other passengers being generally considerate and sensible.

Some good value, last minute Advances starting to be released.

Go for it, relax and enjoy yourself.

Llandudno

Established Member
It is ok to now travel for leisure trips, I received a email from Great Western thanking me for using there service yesterday and thay look forward to me travelling with them again.
Presumably you are allowed to travel to and within Wales for leisure purposes on Great Western (and Avanti?) but not on TfW?

I have not risked it yet?

alex397

Established Member
As everyone else is saying, definitely go for it. I have felt much better mentally after travelling somewhere

I have been very cautious about everything, but have been travelling about this past week. Largely getting carriages to myself, and most people complying to rules. I feel rather safe, especially carrying hand sanitiser around with me.
It is very unlikely anyone will be questioning your reason for travel - how can people tell if your journey is ‘essential’ or not? Anyway, that ‘essential’ messaging doesn’t really apply any more. Your journey won’t be ‘morally wrong’ at all.

Just a warning though - some station toilets may be closed (all of the Southeastern toilets I have tried to use have been closed) and some public toilets in towns may be closed or with restricted opening hours.

I hope you have a relaxing day!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Presumably you are allowed to travel to and within Wales for leisure purposes on Great Western (and Avanti?) but not on TfW?

I have not risked it yet?
At the end of the day, regardless of what they say, you can travel for leisure purposes on TfW. There are no longer any legal travel restrictions applying in Wales. If you buy a ticket they must honour it and indeed there has been no indication they won't (with the exception of the Heart of Wales Line). There is nothing to "risk".

WesternLancer

Established Member
I have booked an off peak day return from Gloucester to Bath this Saturday, if my face covering causes problems with my asthma, i would consider breaking the journey at Bristol. Can anyone tell me, would I be able to leave the station for some fresh air and then continue the journey on a later train. Would that be allowed on an off peak day return ticket?
Certain conditions (and I feel sure asthma is one of them) mean face mask use is exempted for the people concerned on public transport. My local bus company were encouraging passengers to print off a little slip that they could show drivers if they met an exempt condition. Obv wearing the mask when you can is of help to staff and other passengers.

I see TfL have one

wording of official info here

Last edited:

james60059

Go ahead and do it and enjoy it, obviously remember your face covering.

I'm going for a train trip myself on Sunday, just doing the Nuneaton - Leamington run and back

Established Member
Go ahead and do it, even if you’re not wearing a face covering!

For all we know the OP may be exempt.

High Dyke

Established Member
Certain conditions (and I feel sure asthma is one of them) mean face mask use is exempted for the people concerned on public transport. My local bus company were encouraging passengers to print off a little slip that they could show drivers if they met an exempt condition. Obv wearing the mask when you can is of help to staff and other passengers.

I see TfL have one
This may also be of use to those that have a medical concern regarding face coverings.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Update government travel advice here doesn't explicitly say go on leisure journeys but they've removed all the advice to not use public transport other than consider other forms first if you can.

Established Member
Update government travel advice here doesn't explicitly say go on leisure journeys but they've removed all the advice to not use public transport other than consider other forms first if you can.

Is anyone still listening to what this government “advises”? They’re making it up as they go along.

People are entitled to make any kind of journey they wish, and should be encouraged to do so!

Established Member
Travelling by train is one thing - whether you’re allowed to go trainspotting is another thing. Anyone got any idea whether you will be told to leave the station or not?

I don’t see why not. Just apply the usual common sense rules.

LowLevel

Established Member
Travelling by train is one thing - whether you’re allowed to go trainspotting is another thing. Anyone got any idea whether you will be told to leave the station or not?

Trainspotting is different in that there is no implicit "right" to be allowed to hang around the station to carry out that activity.

However the common sense answer appears to be that provided you stay out of the way it isn't a problem - most places that evicted their spotters seem to have allowed them back now, with the somewhat obvious exception of Leicester.

Just follow the usual niceties of mentioning to someone that you're there and I'm sure you'll have no issue enjoying your hobby.

Howardh

Established Member
Just a few notes from a passenger from yesterday - gobsmacked how enpty (mid-day) the commuter car parks were, really just a handful @ Lostock and Horwich. However the train was well populated with holidaymakers + luggage going to Blackpool (first train) and then the Lakes (second) - felt like a normal Friday in that respect.

Also, other than toilets,no station facilities availabe, really wanted a tea at preston but everything shut. Gonna take convincing that is the right strategy, if cafes and shops are open elsewhere why is the railway an exception?

Finally, on return a section (30-odd seats) of the train was cordened off not to be used. If that were available, pax could spread themselves more evenly.

All in all the only downside was...the weather! Pubs are leaving their doors open, meaning it's like a fridge inside. Remind me, what month are we in again? Think the open-door policy will have to hit the dust in proper autumn if pubs want punters.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just a few notes from a passenger from yesterday - gobsmacked how enpty (mid-day) the commuter car parks were, really just a handful @ Lostock and Horwich. However the train was well populated with holidaymakers + luggage going to Blackpool (first train) and then the Lakes (second) - felt like a normal Friday in that respect.

Also, other than toilets,no station facilities availabe, really wanted a tea at preston but everything shut. Gonna take convincing that is the right strategy, if cafes and shops are open elsewhere why is the railway an exception?

Finally, on return a section (30-odd seats) of the train was cordened off not to be used. If that were available, pax could spread themselves more evenly.

All in all the only downside was...the weather! Pubs are leaving their doors open, meaning it's like a fridge inside. Remind me, what month are we in again? Think the open-door policy will have to hit the dust in proper autumn if pubs want punters.

I agree - the lack of anywhere to get a tea at Preston is annoying.

LowLevel

Established Member
The problem with the station facilities is they won't open unless they can turn a profit. Given the owner of most of them (SSP) had the initial reaction of laying off it's staff as soon as the crisis started this is unlikely to occur any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.