• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I try Microsoft Train Simulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
I've been playing Trainz for a number of years. I've had 2006, TSMac 1 & 2, Trainz 12 and T:ANE. I do still enjoy playing it and am not looking to abandon it but noticed that Microsoft Train Sim 2018 is on sale on Steam, and I understand there is a fair bit of content, albeit payware, available for that game that isn't available in Trainz.

I'm only really into the UK rail scene, and my main focus is steam. Is it worth it, or will I be wasting my hard-earned?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Do you mean Dovetail games Train Simulator 2018?

If so, yes it's worth getting in a sale if your PC can run it comfortably. Some routes are better than others and it's a bit buggy sometimes.

Best British steam routes: Western Lines of Scotland, Riviera Lines in the 1950's, Maerdy, Weardale & Teasdale network. The locos that come as standard with those routes are average, but if you want an in depth steam experience there are many more advanced options available as separate DLC that can be very interesting and rewarding to drive once you get the hang of it. There are many extra free scenarios online on the steam workshop.

alexl92

Established Member
Do you mean Dovetail games Train Simulator 2018?

If so, yes it's worth getting in a sale if your PC can run it comfortably. Some routes are better than others and it's a bit buggy sometimes.

Best British steam routes: Western Lines of Scotland, Riviera Lines in the 1950's, Maerdy, Weardale & Teasdale network. The locos that come as standard with those routes are average, but if you want an in depth steam experience there are many more advanced options available as separate DLC that can be very interesting and rewarding to drive once you get the hang of it. There are many extra free scenarios online on the steam workshop.

Yes, I do mean that one, thanks. Is there much free content available? I have to say, I was looking down the list of additional content available and was put off by the fact that you have to literally fork out for everything - you can end up paying an extra fiver for a loco you already have but in a different livery. I feel like you could easily end up spending a huge amount on extra content. The pricing also seems inconsistent - a pack with a route and some locos and stock could be £4.99, or a single loco could be £7.99? Whilst there is paid DLC in Trainz, there is also a lot of high-quality freeware.

What do you get with the actual game on it's own, before buying extra DLC?

Cheers

Iskra

Established Member
The only free content is scenarios and routes available via the Steam Workshop or whatever can be found on UKTS or on reskin sites such as DPsimulation.

Yes, you do have to shop sensibly. Try only buy in the sales and read the descriptions carefully. The pricing tends to reflect the age and quality. This sim has been going for a long time now and some of the early releases aren't up to todays standards, hence why they are cheaper many of these DLCs are advertised as 'TS Classics.' This sim is a step-up from Trainz in terms of quality and realism, I'm led to believe.

In the current incarnation of the base game, you get: 3 modern well-detailed routes, one US, one German, one UK which is the North Wales Coast set in the modern period and comes with 3x modern DMU's.
Alternatively, there is this:

'Buy TS UK Classics Edition
Includes 4 items: Train Simulator, Train Simulator: Great Western Main Line Route Add-On, Train Simulator: Liverpool-Manchester Route Add-On, Train Simulator: Portsmouth Direct Line Route Add-On'

Neither of which are entirely your thing as there is no steam included, be also aware that the GWML and PDL are both quite dated routes in the sim.

In terms of the Steam Routes that I mentioned here is a brief assessment:

Western Lines of Scotland: Long, excellent route with mainline-running, secondary main line and branch line running. Very nicely detailed. Comes with a Black 5 and lots of rolling stock.
Riviera in the 50's: Medium sized well-detailed route. Includes mainline and branch line running. Comes with 5 different steam engines and lots of stock.
J94/Maerdy Route: Comes with advanced quality J94 and a short but interesting colliery route.
Weardale & Diesel Route: Comes with 200 miles of mainline and branch lines. Reasonably detailed. Mainly a diesel route but can be convincingly operated with steam. Comes with class 08, 25, 37, 101 plus rolling stock.
Netherfield: Nottingham Network Route. Reasonably detailed but modest selection of routes around Nottingham mainly focused on freight and local operations. Comes with 5 different classes of steam loco plus rolling stock.

There are a few others: Falmouth Branch, Woodhead, Corris branch, West Somerset Railway, Somerset & Dorset Railway. There is a lot more modern/diesel/electric DLC, but there's nothing to stop you running steam specials on those.

If you would like an honest review of any DLC that I own, I'm happy to help.

Bill EWS

You get a few routes with the game that will get you started. There are free routes etc. but in general you will require a purchased game that is used by the free stuff. In general TS 2018 is very good but you soon find it's downfalls but that doesn't really spoil running the routes. It can become expensive as there are so much "Add-Ons" available which you have to purchase to get the best out of the routes and locomotives you already have.

Have you tried the totally "Free" OpenBVE train driving simulator, that is also very good but a little dated in comparison with TS 2018 but nevertheless offers a lot of good content. It's certainly not dead and new stuff and programme updates do appear from time to time.

DasLunatic

http://www.lincs-train-sim.co.uk/index.html

If you're looking for something route wise, I cannot recommend this enough. I think there's something like 400 route miles of track and about 100 stations on this route, and it's smashing. It's also surprisingly light on the requirements front - if you get the UK Classics edition, I think it covers all the requirements the route needs. It's also updated every few months, so the network continues to grow.

Crossover

Established Member
Unfortunately you've just missed a Steam Sale I think, where both the game and some DLC's are available at a discount (it is generally the only time I buy DLC)

Wivenswold

Established Member
I decided to take a dip last year and was lucky enough to be able to buy about £400 worth of DLC in one hit which provided me with more than enough to get going.

On a smaller (some would say more sensible) budget my advice would be to concentrate on one area of the UK that interests you, buy the official routes around that and also look at 3rd party purchases such as Just Trains and Armstrong Powerhouse, the latter sells some impressive upgrades for existing DLC that make the game really immersive.

There will be a summer sale but there's never been a better time to start in my opinion, the UK coverage of the Train Sim platform is excellent now and there are still a number of new routes including freeware routes in development. The icing on the cake for me is Just Trains Metropolitan Line with S8 stock, which I can't wait to get my hands on.

A good idea would be to watch a few You Tube videos by Matt Peddlesden (who works for DTG) and Alan Thomson, both do drives that will give you an idea of the sim.

Status
Not open for further replies.