• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should railways be doing more to improve delivery of announcements by visual methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetjesus

Disclaimer: I am Deaf.

I take a train 3-5 times a week, about half of the trips being long distance and the other half being short distance.

In times of disruption, delays, etc I always inevitably end up somewhere else I don't want to be. Sometimes there aren't any disruptions, I still end up somewhere else I don't want to be anyway.

Sometimes the information isn't provided by the way of visual means in the first place at all or at a very short notice.

Example 1:

At Manchester Piccadilly, trains to Crewe and south-west England often depart from the same platform within 5 minutes of each other. The problem is that at the platform displays do not clearly state this fact. The display only state "Front train - Crewe" until it actually departs, and if you walk back to main displays in the concourse, re-check that your train to Southwest England departs from the same platform. At this point, no sense walking back to the platform as you'd already missed the train.

Obviously, it is easier to tell Northern and XC apart. What makes it even more complicated is that trains to Hadfield often leave from the same platform as trains to Crewe. They use the same rolling stock. At this point, you've no idea which one is yours.

Example 2:

I was on a long distance service from Birmingham New St. I wanted to go to Coventry, but ended up at Rugby, skipping Birmingham international and Coventry.

When the disruption occurred, it was between Coventry and Rugby only.

Had I been made aware, I would have simply got off the train and caught a local train.

Example 3:

I use local stations between Manchester Piccadilly and Stockport or Manchester Airport a lot.

In my experience, Northern does not inform passengers they are skipping local stations if you're already in a train. At stations, they simply remove the skipped stops from the display which I don't think is a good solution - but if you're already on the train - you won't be made aware.

I actually emailed Northern, they did not reply apart from acknowledgement.

Displays already exist why aren't they used more to inform passengers? I am sure non deaf passengers would also benefit from it as well. My experience with railways in West Europe tells me they do use their displays very effectively.

So, the question, should the railways be doing more to improve the way they make announcement via visual means? If so, how?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
I don't think the information at Piccadilly is good enough, even for those of us with hearing. For me, the most obvious solution would be to renumber the platforms, so that platform 1 is split into 1a and 1b, platform 2 into 2a and 2b, et cetera. Each of these new platforms should get their own departure screens. That way, it's clear which train you should be getting on.

As for skipped stations, I imagine they are announced over the PA (but obviously that's an unsuitable solution to you and others without hearing.) The unfortunate thing is that we are a long way behind the rest of Europe in fitting visual passenger information systems to trains in the UK.

I do think it should be a priority, and there is a huge amount of room for improvement.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
I actually emailed Northern, they ignored my reply.
I find I get a reply from this https://twitter.com/northernassist?lang=en and their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/northernassist/
I agree, even with good hearing I find announcements at stations and on trains totally unacceptable. There was one at Piccadilly with a heavy Scots accent (nothing wrong with that!) but he spoke so quickly he was unintelligible to those of us trying to listen...and to a Northern assistant too!! Screens should be used to display messages, after all, at Piccadilly they aren't shy from displaying ads on the big ones.
Also try your MP and the disability rights commission, however not all trains have adequate displays (??) and that's an area that should have priority. But when they have they should be used.

daveshah

It's also a benefit to those who don't know so much English - when travelling in Europe I've often found it easier to understand a foreign language on a screen, particularly when compared to a manual announcement or if looking out for a place name of unknown pronunciation.

Sweetjesus

I find I get a reply from this https://twitter.com/northernassist?lang=en and their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/northernassist/
I agree, even with good hearing I find announcements at stations and on trains totally unacceptable. There was one at Piccadilly with a heavy Scots accent (nothing wrong with that!) but he spoke so quickly he was unintelligible to those of us trying to listen...and to a Northern assistant too!! Screens should be used to display messages, after all, at Piccadilly they aren't shy from displaying ads on the big ones.
Also try your MP and the disability rights commission, however not all trains have adequate displays (??) and that's an area that should have priority. But when they have they should be used.

I try avoid using social media, I don't like making myself well-known unfortunately. I talk to companies a lot about their accessibility provisions, Northern is the only one who has not provided a response - every single companies has responded regardless whether I agreed with their response or not. This has really surprised me.

The technology is exists and displays are in use, what is the excuse not using them to their full potential?

My MP isn't helpful according to my past experiences with her. I'll contact disability rights organisations and see what they think of this issue. I'm sure this isn't the first time they've heard of.

jamesst

Disclaimer: I am Deaf.

I take a train 3-5 times a week, about half of the trips being long distance and the other half being short distance.

In times of disruption, delays, etc I always inevitably end up somewhere else I don't want to be. Sometimes there aren't any disruptions, I still end up somewhere else I don't want to be anyway.

Sometimes the information isn't provided by the way of visual means in the first place at all or at a very short notice.

Example 1:

At Manchester Piccadilly, trains to Crewe and south-west England often depart from the same platform within 5 minutes of each other. The problem is that at the platform displays do not clearly state this fact. The display only state "Front train - Crewe" until it actually departs, and if you walk back to main displays in the concourse, re-check that your train to Southwest England departs from the same platform. At this point, no sense walking back to the platform as you'd already missed the train.

Obviously, it is easier to tell Northern and XC apart. What makes it even more complicated is that trains to Hadfield often leave from the same platform as trains to Crewe. They use the same rolling stock. At this point, you've no idea which one is yours.

Example 2:

I was on a long distance service from Birmingham New St. I wanted to go to Coventry, but ended up at Rugby, skipping Birmingham international and Coventry.

When the disruption occurred, it was between Coventry and Rugby only.

Had I been made aware, I would have simply got off the train and caught a local train.

Example 3:

I use local stations between Manchester Piccadilly and Stockport or Manchester Airport a lot.

In my experience, Northern does not inform passengers they are skipping local stations if you're already in a train. At stations, they simply remove the skipped stops from the display which I don't think is a good solution - but if you're already on the train - you won't be made aware.

I actually emailed Northern, they did not reply apart from acknowledgement.

Displays already exist why aren't they used more to inform passengers? I am sure non deaf passengers would also benefit from it as well. My experience with railways in West Europe tells me they do use their displays very effectively.

So, the question, should the railways be doing more to improve the way they make announcement via visual means? If so, how?

Yes as a member of traincrew I fully agree with you. You will often find that it isnt possible with the software to get visual display screens to do certain things. However instead of working to overcome this the default option seems to be fall back on manual announcements.

Mintona

Established Member
On many trains there is no way of manually adding information to the internal or external screens.

ComUtoR

Established Member

They should always be doing more and making improvements.

You are best placed to decide and advise how that happens and what is needed. So I would flip it back to you. What do YOU need and think would be helpful. I'd be more interested to hear your perspective.

Sweetjesus

They should always be doing more and making improvements.

You are best placed to decide and advise how that happens and what is needed. So I would flip it back to you. What do YOU need and think would be helpful. I'd be more interested to hear your perspective.
Point taken.

My idea of accessible visual displays would be that:

In train:

1. Some of trains I use daily do not have displays (e.g. pacers). I do think it is reasonable for make this a requirement for all trains after certain date. Other trains, e.g. pendolinos and voyagers have insufficient display - tiny text and cramped interior which makes the display difficult to be viewed - did some TOCs consult with disability advocacy groups prior to ordering such trains?

2. I appreciate that it is difficult for staff members to manually input text under certain circumstances, with that considering, this functionality should still be made available so under certain situations (i.e. broken down train), this functionality is there to be used. Under other less serious situations such as disruption, a list of pre-inputted text should be made available and selected as appropriate. The list of selections could follow with voiced announcement - this is already the case in some Western European countries.

In stations:

1. Manchester Piccadilly being main contender for this issue - as explained earlier, displays do really need to be more informative or platforms need to be split into A and B as other user has suggested. Another suggestion is having one line on the display to state what will be the second train to depart from this platform.

2. I haven't seen any displays showing notices or information apart from scheduled trains. In times of disruption, people rely on voiced announcements. I feel it is certainly possible to have at least one display reserved for information and notices only.

3. In event of skipped stops, cancellations, etc - displays should state this instead of disappearing. I do recall the time I was running late for my usual train. I managed to get in the train with a minute to spare. I looked at the platform display from the window and noticed that the station I wanted to get off wasn't showing up on the display. This is very easily missable.

I have a few more ideas but these are more complicated. The five suggestions above are something that are simple to implement and IMO, very reasonable.

Although I didn't explain further as to how to implement them - this is something best left with TOCs to decide for themselves (preferably with a consultation from appropriate advocacy groups).

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
My idea of accessible visual displays would be that:

In train:

1. Some of trains I use daily do not have displays (e.g. pacers). .....

We have an aging rolling stock. I'm not sure that retrofitting displays are practical but I understand that sure displays would be beneficial. What I can say is that future rolling stock will be different and displays more integral to the design and requirements for accessibility.

2. I appreciate that it is difficult for staff members to manually input text under certain circumstances, with that considering, this functionality should still be made available so under certain situations (i.e. broken down train), this functionality is there to be used.

Again, following on from above if the function is not there then it can't be used. I drive 3 different traction and even the latest doesn't have any form of text input or even an ability to send visual messages that specific. It is certainly something that is possible and I would support. What needs to happen is that things like this need to be implemented at the design stage. Mostly the TOC takes things on spec and requests various options. If there was a decent off the shelf solution then I suspect they would take it.

In stations:

1. Manchester Piccadilly being main contender for this issue - as explained earlier, displays do really need to be more informative or platforms need to be split into A and B as other user has suggested.

My TOC is working on various solutions for the displays and is pushing more information onto them. They have introduced greater functionality and changed the visual displays away from the traditional dot matrix style displays. There is a forum member who is directly involved and I hope he reads this thread.

2. I haven't seen any displays showing notices or information apart from scheduled trains. In times of disruption, people rely on voiced announcements. I feel it is certainly possible to have at least one display reserved for information and notices only.

There is certainly scope for this. Pushing the TOCs into the future is to be supported.

Note I didn't explain further as to how to implement them - this is something best left with TOCs to decide for themselves (preferably with a consultation from appropriate advocacy groups).

Sometimes I feel that the TOCs make very poor decisions. They need to be pushed before decisions are made. I would hope and want, any advocacy or passenger group to be more involved in the design of new equipment before it gets stuck up on a station. Unfortunately I feel that both sides are more reactive than proactive. How this could change, I have no idea.

benbristow

An update to the official National Rail mobile applications would be a major step I think to get announcements straight to the passenger. Not that this should replace physical signage but as a welcomed addition.

Lots of third party applications available on iOS/Android app/play stores deal with disruptions and service announcements very well and are clean, well-designed, friendly & intuitive to use.

The National Rail (as in nationalrail.co.uk) apps, website & digital presences are frankly a disgrace in almost 2020. They're outdated, buggy, ugly and even have the knack to try and charge you to remove advertisements via in-app purchases! I know a lot of people moan about The TrainLine for example but their website & mobile apps are modern, fast and intuitive to use - a lot of people are happy to pay a fee to use them even when using official channels (e.g. NR website or direct through the TOC) are fee-free just for the user experience.

Since many people own smart devices with mobile data and WiFi in stations it should be a priority to keep the official channels modern.

Sweetjesus

We have an aging rolling stock. I'm not sure that retrofitting displays are practical but I understand that sure displays would be beneficial. What I can say is that future rolling stock will be different and displays more integral to the design and requirements for accessibility.

Which rolling stock that are still used in service that do not have displays?

Again, following on from above if the function is not there then it can't be used. I drive 3 different traction and even the latest doesn't have any form of text input or even an ability to send visual messages that specific. It is certainly something that is possible and I would support. What needs to happen is that things like this need to be implemented at the design stage. Mostly the TOC takes things on spec and requests various options. If there was a decent off the shelf solution then I suspect they would take it.

I do have one interesting question though, trains in Western Europe do have such feature and their trains are often manufactured by a selection of companies that also manufactures some of trains we have here in the UK. The question would be that - why is it available over there but not here?

Sometimes I feel that the TOCs make very poor decisions. They need to be pushed before decisions are made. I would hope and want, any advocacy or passenger group to be more involved in the design of new equipment before it gets stuck up on a station. Unfortunately I feel that both sides are more reactive than proactive. How this could change, I have no idea.

I'm going to have the disagree with the notion that TOCs have to be reactive in this area.

Equality Act 2010 quite clearly states that those stuff is something TOCs should investigate and ensure that all the bases are covered before providing a service to the public. The term being 'anticipatory duty'.

I appreciate that not all TOCs are aware of various disabilities and accommodations that need to be made for them, but that is why disability advocacy groups exist.

For me, I do remind a quite few companies of their duty to make reasonable adjustments under the law but it does get tiring after 100 times. This is something disabled people should not and will not be expected to do so.

Sweetjesus

An update to the official National Rail mobile applications would be a major step I think to get announcements straight to the passenger. Not that this should replace physical signage but as a welcomed addition.

Lots of third party applications available on iOS/Android app/play stores deal with disruptions and service announcements very well and are clean, well-designed, friendly & intuitive to use.

The National Rail (as in nationalrail.co.uk) apps, website & digital presences are frankly a disgrace in almost 2020. They're outdated, buggy, ugly and even have the knack to try and charge you to remove advertisements via in-app purchases! I know a lot of people moan about The TrainLine for example but their website & mobile apps are modern, fast and intuitive to use - a lot of people are happy to pay a fee to use them even when using official channels (e.g. NR website or direct through the TOC) are fee-free just for the user experience.

Since many people own smart devices with mobile data and WiFi in stations it should be a priority to keep the official channels modern.

Agreed.

Although I do suspect TOCs will use this excuse to avoid their responsibility to provide appropriate signage.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm going to have the disagree with the notion that TOCs have to be reactive in this area.

I stated that the problem is that they ARE reactive and should be proactive. I find that things get implemented, then the complaints and issues crop up. This is kinda backwards and accessibility should be built in beforehand.

Sweetjesus

Sorry I went on a rant having only half read your post.

Anyway, I was at New St. recently, they do have special notices display which was displaying LNWR strike information at that time. Although I am not sure if the display do change and provide useful information in a event of disruption however.

Which stations do have the 'special notices' display? Who updates these information on the display?

pinkmarie80

I agree totally. I am hard of hearing and if I’m on a train somewhere unfamiliar I really struggle without a display to follow to tell me where I am.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Sorry I went on a rant having only half read your post.

Wizards first rule : Passion rules reason...

Who updates these information on the display?

My TOC has a CIS department (Customer information service) They can send out the information to update the platform displays. I believe that various upgrades now allow them to update the information centrally and it will roll out the information along the entire route. There is still the problem of it still going through multiple departments so the information isn't as fast as it could be. CIS still need to be told to update and they may be the last people to get the information as the people on the ground are delaying with whatever changes there are to be made. Part of the problems with degraded working is that communication is still slow. This will always impact the passenger and needs to change. Internally we are always complaining about communication.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Many stations have displays with "special notices" but the problem is that they contain general information about an incident or engineering work rather than the specific information people might need. A few trains display this type of general information or other automated data such as platforms for connected trains and the TfL rainbow board, but on most it's confined to the next station and final destination plus assorted safety/security messages.

I suspect the root cause here is the same as with many other information issues: automated information works well when things are running smoothly but when things are going wrong manual intervention is needed and the people responsible tend to be dragged into dealing with the incident rather than informing passengers. The people with the time and incentive to keep passengers updated, such as train crew, often don't have enough information to do so. This is a wider problem than just visual information, but one symptom is that when there is some information to pass on it's a lot quicker just to say it into a mike and move onto the next urgent problem than to spend time typing it on a keyboard.

I wonder if part of the solution might be a version of the automated subtitles you see on the TV, which apart from the occasional howler do make a reasonable attempt to recognize the wide variety of accents and vocabulary that appear on a news programme for example. So any announcements made could also be displayed on some of the screens at a station or interrupt the normal sequence on train screens. They could also be stored up and perhaps an app could use geolocation or on-train wifi to work out where the user is, so they can get the text of recent announcements made on their train or station.

londonmidland

Established Member
Someone suggested a while ago that there should be an app which displays and announces platform alterations, delays, disruption etc.

With smartphones becoming ever more popular, I’m sure this could technically work.

How messages are displayed and announced is another question.

(Good for headphone users and phone zombies) :lol:

Bantamzen

Established Member
On the issue of at station displays, the question begs how many screens would any particular station need to adequately display changing train information. At my local station Baildon for example, the one display on the single platform can (and indeed sometimes is) used to display potential disruption information. But at a station like Manchester Piccadilly, just how many displays would be needed, and where would they be located to ensure that all passengers with functioning sight be able to quickly be updated? With a fairly complex station like that, where passengers congregate at a number of points, getting visual only information would be a challenge. Not impossible, but when asking the question one must also understand these challenges.

My personal inclination, given the vast variety of station layouts, TOCs etc would be a mobile app solution for the majority of passengers, especially those like the OP with no hearing. The obvious choice would be the National Rail app, although as others have pointed out this needs a lot of work. However what it does have (though I have personally never used it) is a notifications function that should be able to notify of at least delays and cancellations to trains, informing the user that they might need to seek further information at the station or through the TOC.

A fully redeveloped app could then feed more data such as change of platforms, short forms and even where trains are booked to skip stations. All fairly do-able with the right feeds. But as has been pointed out, this relies on the data being there in the first place. If things start to melt down because of, for example, bad weather conditions, the picture can change rather more rapidly than can be communicated through various channels. In such cases the updates might then have to be limited to something like "Seek advice from the train operator", not exactly very helpful but will likely be exactly the same advice people with no hearing difficulties are getting. At some stations it might be possible to push exceptional messages to the apps automatically as they were being announced, just as a generic message to all users at that station, assuming of course the app had access to the device's location. But there may be cases where multiple & changing messages are being made, which could rapidly get confusing with multiple push messages being received, especially if any lag resulted in them arriving out of sync.

benbristow

Someone suggested a while ago that there should be an app which displays and announces platform alterations, delays, disruption etc.

With smartphones becoming ever more popular, I’m sure this could technically work.

How messages are displayed and announced is another question.

(Good for headphone users and phone zombies) :lol:

There is meant to be. The National Rail app. And it sucks. And hasn't been updated since 7 Jun 2018.

Third-party apps like ByTrain on iOS are much better though.

Bantamzen

Established Member
There is meant to be. The National Rail app. And it sucks. And hasn't been updated since 7 Jun 2018.

Third-party apps like ByTrain on iOS are much better though.

The NR app certainly hasn't aged as well as it should have, that's for sure. However the Android version did get an update in September. As for ByTrain, sadly that's not available on Android so isn't a lot of use for a lot of passengers. And it doesn't seem to have a lot of coverage, so I can't comment on what it might even be like.

bigfoote

I would say, as others have, that in 2019, the NRE app could and should be much more "live". In this era of instant news/social media/always-on, to have the ability to enter your service in the app and have it notify you of any changes en route (disruption etc) needs to be a priority. As for CIS, I don't know how much joined-up-thinking the various TOCs and agencies can do. Not knowing the technical aspects of the system, some way to provide better quality information needs to be found.

Sweetjesus

On the issue of at station displays, the question begs how many screens would any particular station need to adequately display changing train information. At my local station Baildon for example, the one display on the single platform can (and indeed sometimes is) used to display potential disruption information. But at a station like Manchester Piccadilly, just how many displays would be needed, and where would they be located to ensure that all passengers with functioning sight be able to quickly be updated? With a fairly complex station like that, where passengers congregate at a number of points, getting visual only information would be a challenge. Not impossible, but when asking the question one must also understand these challenges.

My personal inclination, given the vast variety of station layouts, TOCs etc would be a mobile app solution for the majority of passengers, especially those like the OP with no hearing. The obvious choice would be the National Rail app, although as others have pointed out this needs a lot of work. However what it does have (though I have personally never used it) is a notifications function that should be able to notify of at least delays and cancellations to trains, informing the user that they might need to seek further information at the station or through the TOC.

A fully redeveloped app could then feed more data such as change of platforms, short forms and even where trains are booked to skip stations. All fairly do-able with the right feeds. But as has been pointed out, this relies on the data being there in the first place. If things start to melt down because of, for example, bad weather conditions, the picture can change rather more rapidly than can be communicated through various channels. In such cases the updates might then have to be limited to something like "Seek advice from the train operator", not exactly very helpful but will likely be exactly the same advice people with no hearing difficulties are getting. At some stations it might be possible to push exceptional messages to the apps automatically as they were being announced, just as a generic message to all users at that station, assuming of course the app had access to the device's location. But there may be cases where multiple & changing messages are being made, which could rapidly get confusing with multiple push messages being received, especially if any lag resulted in them arriving out of sync.

While improving the app is important, but I do not think discussing about adding a node where information can be disseminated as this implies this is a solution to deaf people issues. This can also reduce TOCs incentive to improve in station information displays citing National Rail app as 'good enough' replacement.

I mostly travel to and out of major stations. I've noticed that my mobile does not always successfully connect to the internet in these areas. I presume this is due to mobile networks in these areas being oversubscribed.

There is also an issue where not all train stations do have mobile network (e.g. Hampton in Arden) available.

From what I've seen at Manchester Piccadilly, I do not think there is a need for additional displays, at the most, a few displays may need to be moved but even then, I don't think that is necessary. I suspect this is also true for the most stations.

The problem is that the current displays are not being used to their full potential. This is the area with a plenty of good solutions and examples.

Bantamzen

Established Member
While improving the app is important, but I do not think discussing about adding a node where information can be disseminated as this implies this is a solution to deaf people issues. This can also reduce TOCs incentive to improve in station information displays citing National Rail app as 'good enough' replacement.

I mostly travel to and out of major stations. I've noticed that my mobile does not always successfully connect to the internet in these areas. I presume this is due to mobile networks in these areas being oversubscribed.

There is also an issue where not all train stations do have mobile network (e.g. Hampton in Arden) available.

From what I've seen at Manchester Piccadilly, I do not think there is a need for additional displays, at the most, a few displays may need to be moved but even then, I don't think that is necessary. I suspect this is also true for the most stations.

The problem is that the current displays are not being used to their full potential. This is the area with a plenty of good solutions and examples.

When you say that they are not being used to their full potential, what do you envisage? For the most part displays along concourses & major walking routes are configured to display the next series of departures, whilst platform side displays offer details on the next service(s) along that platform. Now whilst platform-side displays are specific to those next services, and could potentially be used to update passengers on platform changes (for example), in these cases they may also need to display details of another service scheduled to use that platform. So how would you envisage balancing the display in situations like these, keeping in mind that not all platform-side displays have only 3-4 lines of display unlike some of the larger ones at bigger stations. As for the departure screens on concourses etc, again these could be used to display changes, but they are also being used by passengers potentially not being disrupted, so again there needs to be some kind of balance struck. This is why I wondered if additional screens, dedicated to messages when disruptions take place might be used.

Getting constantly updating information to the passengers on what is a fairly limited medium is always going to be difficult. And at larger stations, with significant flows it simply might not be possible to cover all areas of those stations where people may not be able to receive audio updates using just existing screens. This is why I wondered about the use of mobile apps. How we as people receive our day to day information is changing rapidly, and that includes (or at least should) those with no hearing or hearing difficulties. Getting a push message to a mobile phone in the area needs negligible bandwidth, even at very busy stations there should be more than enough 3/4G bandwidth & WiFi coverage to get a message to all mobile apps in the case of disruption. I routinely travel through Leeds where there are some notorious blackspots (especially when a LNER service is alongside), and whilst basic net access is wobblily, app push messages still get through.

You've mentioned that there are examples of what you would like to see, could you share some of those perhaps? It would definitely help in the discussion.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Compared to fixed displays an app (assuming it works well and is freely distributed) would have two clear advantages:
  • It could produce a vibrate alert when a relevant new announcement came through, so the user wouldn't have to look at the app or the screen all the time.
  • It would allow scrolling back through previous announcements.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Pretty much all service information, and any other information which is judged critical by the company and the Department (this may include security information) needs to be displayed visually on trains and at stations, for those who will have difficulty hearing it, and made audibly for those who will have difficulty seeing it.

Other information such as the onboard catering service, reminders about buying a ticket, London Underground updates when you're not at a London Underground station, advertisements for cheap Advance ticket offers or announcements about WiFi Internet access or the media server may be useful but needs to be made tactfully to fit around the critical information.

There's not really any excuse for not having the critical information provided both audibly and visually 99% of the time, unfortunately this generally isn't the way the train companies work. London Buses and TfL Rail seem to have accurate, consice information almost perfectly done by audio-visual means.

Part of the problem is also that, occasionally, proper information relating to service disruption isn't provided at all. In this case, nearly everyone on the train will have that problem, not just people who either aren't able to see or aren't able to hear it.

Last edited:

Chris M

Part of the problem is also that, occasionally, proper information relating to service disruption isn't provided at all. In this case, nearly everyone on the train will have that problem, not just people who either aren't able to see or aren't able to hear it.
It's not discrimination if nobody is given the information they need!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
We have an aging rolling stock. I'm not sure that retrofitting displays are practical but I understand that sure displays would be beneficial.
A very large number of older trains have been retrofitted with information displays.

The problem is that a lot of them are the dim orange dot-matrix TrainFX ones which flicker terribly, and are difficult to read.

Sweetjesus

I took this picture on Monday.

As you may have already noticed, there is an XC train sitting on the platform on the left side of this picture. This train departs roughly 5 minutes after the Crewe train if I remember correctly.

The left side display has 1 line that is not used. The right side display, the same line is used for coach number/letters.

I do believe that one more line could be freed up by reducing the number of lines where it displays stations where the train stops at (currently 4 lines used for destination names).

Or the coach number/ letters could be moved to at the bottom of the display and placed to the right where time is displayed - as it stands, using the entire line to just to display time is a waste of space.

Just one line could be used to display "Next train: 17:06 to Bournemouth - please wait for further information" in a scrolling fashion.

Like I said, there are many more ways in which a display could be used more effectively.

I use Metrolink often and I am surprised at how well information is displayed on these displays despite it only having 3 lines. 3rd line is always used to display information regarding to its network status. The information provided is actually super useful. It's also updated rather quickly.

I do recall a time seeing a tram to break down and seeing the display to update within 5-10 minutes of the incident occurring.

Attachments

• IMG_20191125_175205.jpg
    IMG_20191125_175205.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.