• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should restrictions be eased fully if Indian Variant case rates do not decline before June 21st?

If case rates do not decline before June 21st, what do you think should happen with the roadmap?

• Go ahead with easing of all Covid restrictions on June 21st, assuming vaccinations are ramped up

Votes: 174 52.9%
  • Go ahead with stage 4 of easing restrictions on June 21st, but keep masks and WFH guidance

Votes: 29 8.8%
  • Ease some stage 4 restrictions on June 21st, but keep others for longer

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • Postpone stage 4 easing to a later date in the worst affected hotspots

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • Postpone stage 4 easing to a later date everywhere

Votes: 47 14.3%
  • Impose new localised restrictions in the worst affected hotspots

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Impose new national restrictions

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

londonteacher

Have they? I work in IT. The longer this goes on the more people want back in the office. 10% said full time. 50% said part time. So 60% of our company don’t want the current situation to continue. Missing speaking to real people is the biggest reason.
I can completely understand that in some industries. But, that is not the case in all industries.

https://globalworkplaceanalytics.com/global-work-from-home-experience-survey
Here are the top findings from the survey:

1) 73% say they are very successful working from home (68% globally).

2) 97% of North American office workers worked from home >1 day/week during the pandemic (88% globally); 67% had not worked remotely on a regular basis before COVID-19 (69% globally).

3) People feel they perform equally well at home as they do in the office (70% are satisfied in both places) in both solo and group work, but they are more satisfied collaborating in person.

4) 78% North American office workers say they have the resources they need to be successful at home (72% globally). They are most successful when they have the tools, skills, and resources they need and they have a good place to work at home.

5) Managers are just as satisfied with work performance as employees (70% report the same or better results), but remote management and collaboration skills should be a focus for improvement.

6) Only 19% in North America want to say goodbye to the office forever (16% globally), with most preferring a bit of both. Half of the time in each place seems to be the sweet spot in the U.S. and slightly less in Europe.

7) 86% of respondents feel fully productive at home (77% globally). They gain back 35 minutes a day due to fewer unwanted interruptions (43 minutes/day at home vs 78 minutes/day in the office both globally and in N.A.).

8) When working alone, which accounts for 58% of an average worker’s day (57% globally), employees say they are productive 75% of the time at home, compared to only 62% of the time at the office.

9) When working with others, which accounts for 43% of a worker’s day, employees say they are equally productive at home versus in the office (61% vs. 60% of the time respectively), but they are more satisfied when collaborating in person (63% satisfied with collaborating at home vs. 90% at the office). (60% vs 87% globally).

10) 77% are satisfied with the flexibility they have working at home; 69% are satisfied with their well-being.

11) 76% of global employees want to continue working from home. On average their preference is for 2.5 days a week in the U.S. (2 days/week globally).

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy...22/most-workers-want-work-home-after-covid-19
most (57%) of those who were working before the outbreak and who intend to stay part of the workforce say they want to be able to continue working from home.

I want to make it clear, I am not advocating WFH. But, there is definitely the argument for it continuing in some industries either fully, on a mixed basis e.g. 3 days in, 2 from home, or always in. Even the government understands that from the planned changes to season tickets with greater flexibility.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I think it'll vary quite a lot. Most people my age (who generally haven't really started on their careers so value different things to more veteran workers) hate the thought of permanent working from home. Indeed quite a few of us would explicitly look to work somewhere which generally encouraged working in the office, and would not apply to a job if it was massively pro-WFH. In larger industries, I expect there will be a mixture and those seeking work will tend to apply to firms which had a similar philosophy to them.

And yet the more junior people where I work are just as for wanting the option of working from bome as the rest of us are. I suspect what you are saying will be true for new starters, and at least where I work we are putting measures in to make sure those people are able to and still get the support they need. But for people who have settled into their role, again at least for where I work, people don't want to be forced back into the office. Again maybe this will change based on industry and indeed workplace. But any company where employees have power (so a lot of the tech industry as an example) who thinks they can force staff back into the office full time will find out pretty quickly what that will cost (likely it will cost them some of their best employees).

philosopher

Established Member
Yes, I have thought about that. But, I fail to see how governments can force people to work in an office if they have been able to do the same job from home for the last year? Companies will simply move out of the areas if they are mandated to force their staff to return to in-person working. I do have sympathy for baristas and other people employed by affected services and I do see the link between fewer people working in cities to the number of jobs saved.

Maybe the government could tax businesses more that have less than a certain percentage of staff working from home - but that is another thread.
They should not and can’t force people back to offices. However they can and should stop telling people that they should not be working in offices. While WFH is popular, not all those WFH’ing like it so when the WFH advice goes, at least some of the workers will return.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I think all industries will find their own balance. I think the personal touch is important between teams. How often is a different question.

They should not and can’t force people back to offices. However they can and should stop telling people that they should not be working in offices. While WFH is popular, not all those WFH’ing like it so when the WFH advice goes, at least some of the workers will return.
But is it unreasonable to have all staff in once a month to have a team meeting? Do you want to work with people that refuse to speak to you face to face? Balance is key but I wouldn’t want to work with people that refuse to speak to me in person.

londonteacher

I agree!

philosopher

Established Member
I think all industries will find their own balance. I think the personal touch is important between teams. How often is a different question.

But is it unreasonable to have all staff in once a month to have a team meeting? Do you want to work with people that refuse to speak to you face to face? Balance is key but I wouldn’t want to work with people that refuse to speak to me in person.
Employers and employees should agree amongst themselves how often people should work in office and at home based on employer and employee needs. The point is the government should not be telling workers where they should be working.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Employers and employees should agree amongst themselves how often people should work in office and at home based on employer and employee needs. The point is the government should not be telling workers where they should be working.
Absolutely agree. The government should have no input.

duncanp

Established Member
We've put up with all this nonsense for far too long now. This is bloody ridiculous, it really is. Every day I check the news websites there's headlines such as "Far too early to release restriction, say top experts", "21st June easing must be delayed by a few months, say top scientists.". Absolute nutters these people are with the nonsense they come up with. I'm absolutely sick to the back teeth of the lot of them. And shame on the press and media for keep airing/publishing their nonsense every day.

We'll put up with this until 21st June. But that must really be it. Then it is time to get rid of ALL of this stupid nonsense. Social distancing, face mask wearing, "the rule of six", track and trace, self-isolate, etc, etc. The lot of it must go.

If Johnson gives into these nutters and delays it by a month or two, when it nears the end of that period they'll then go and come up with more reasons/excuses as to why it must be delayed, such as "We need a few more weeks to see the data", "Another variant of concern has arrived", etc. We just can't go on like this. 21st Just get rid of all this nonsense once and for all, and back to normal.

Some advisers are singing from a different hymn sheet, and I just hope that the government take account of their views.

Unlock and let us live with Covid, Boris Johnson urged by advisor on eve of crucial June 21 decision​

PM warned that any delay to easing restrictions could be ‘extremely damaging’ to mental health and economy

Boris Johnson has been warned by one of the Government’s own advisers that a delay to lifting Covid-19 restrictions will have an "extremely damaging" effect on the economy and mental health.

Prof Robert Dingwall, who sits on a series of coronavirus advisory committees, including the New and Emerging Respiratory Threats Advisory Group and the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, urged the Prime Minister to press ahead with his original roadmap that should have seen "all legal limits on social contact" removed on June 21.

Prof Dingwall said on Sunday: “It is extremely damaging to business confidence, the economy, morale - especially since there isn’t really a clear justification for it. What we are seeing is the beginning of what endemic Covid looks like and we should be unlocking and living with that.

“I have been saying for 10 days now the only thing that would persuade me [not to lift restrictions] is a significant increase in intensive care admissions, and that is not happening.”

Instead, it is likely that - apart from some possible tinkering at the margins - there will be no further easing despite the success of the vaccination programme.

That is likely to mean pubs will be restricted to table service, and theatres and other indoor venues restricted to 50 per cent capacity. Nightclubs are expected to remain closed. The guidance that "everyone who can work from home must do so" will also remain in place, it is understood.

'Risk of catastrophic collapse'​

Prof Dingwall's concerns echo those across the hospitality and entertainment sectors, which have all warned of the dire consequences of sticking with social distancing restrictions.

Britain’s hospitality industry said on Sunday that 300,000 jobs were now being put at risk by any delay in an industry that estimates a loss of £87billion in sales since the start of the pandemic. The trade body UKHospitality said a further month’s delay would wipe an extra £3billion off the industry

Even Sadiq Khan, London’s mayor and a vocal advocate for lockdowns, has written to Mr Johnson warning the capital is "at risk of catastrophic collapse" and of the "severe consequences for businesses who have suffered so much already".

Mr Khan said: "As long as social distancing is in place, London’s hospitality, nightlife and cultural sectors, which have been hardest hit by the pandemic, will remain unable to reopen or fully reopen in an economically viable way."

Councillor Rachael Robathan, the leader of Tory-run Westminster City Council, also warned Mr Johnson of the "devastating" consequences of any delay and called for financial support.

She said on Sunday: "Central London cannot afford any slippage in the fight to revive our economy. Footfall numbers are still down, office workers are staying away in significant numbers and central areas of the City are hurting.

"These are desperate times for theatre owners and the creative industries, and some have made it clear to me their businesses are just not viable unless social distancing is lifted soon."

Kate Nicholls, the chief executive of UKHospitality, said: "A full and final ending of restrictions is the only way to ensure that businesses in this sector can trade profitably. If Government decides it has to keep some restrictions in place after June 21, then it must prioritise those that do the least damage to business and commit to further supporting the sector.

"Hospitality is desperate to get back to what it does best and can play a key role in the economic recovery of the UK - but only if it is given permission to trade and proper support."

The article then goes on to detail the issues facing pubs and restaurants, weddings, theatre, live concerts, sports arenas and working from home.

It is good to see some pushback from official advisers against the received wisdom that we have got to delay easing restrictions.

bramling

Veteran Member
So 90% have said they so not want to be in the office full time and yet you spin that in favour of forcing people back to the office??

I also work in the industry (software development). The vast majority of my colleagues have said they want to work from home most of the time. Quite a few have said they will quit if they do not get to choose how often or not they are in the office.

The bit about people threatening to quit would be interesting to put to the test, i.e. see if they would *really* quit.

There’s for sure some rude awakenings awaiting some people.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
The bit about people threatening to quit would be interesting to put to the test, i.e. see if they would *really* quit.

To be clear - I am talking about mid level to senior software developers who will have no trouble walking into any similar job. For some other industries I agree with you, but for those where highly skilled staff are in high demand, then employee power is a real thing.

Sleepy

Established Member
Well judging by the reports coming in of large amounts of younger people travelling on board without wearing masks or distancing this evening I'm sure Euro games & excess alcohol combo are going to do wonders for transmission of the Delta variant !!

102 fan

Well judging by the reports coming in of large amounts of younger people travelling on board without wearing masks or distancing this evening I'm sure Euro games & excess alcohol combo are going to do wonders for transmission of the Delta variant !!

A varient with the same survival rate as the original virus.

I never thought I'd see the day when young people enjoying themselves, especially when the Home team won, would be frowned upon.

Jonny

Established Member
I'm still not sure what you are saying.
In those pictures they are following the rules.
Unless you are saying because they are in the public eye they should follow some other rules that aren't defined anywhere.
It's not about what the rules are in some situations, it's about consistency across situations that would at least be seen to be equivalent. Trust me, a lot of people are getting annoyed about what they see as different rules in situations that are, or at least appear to be, the same.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Some advisers are singing from a different hymn sheet, and I just hope that the government take account of their views.

The article then goes on to detail the issues facing pubs and restaurants, weddings, theatre, live concerts, sports arenas and working from home.

It is good to see some pushback from official advisers against the received wisdom that we have got to delay easing restrictions.
BoJo won't take a blind bit of notice of this. He will goto Doom & Gloom and say if i go for step 4 what the risk of having to reverse it later. They will say we are not sure but best to be cautious if you really want to avoid that scenario. BoJo well im told everyone it has to be irreversible so im not going to inflict damage on myself.

Next call will be to Rishi to tell him to bung a bit more of our cash to keep people quiet them a Zoom call with the cabinet to get them all on message.

No ones going to stop this delay and despite my view the data is a lot better my view is he won't run it for longer than four weeks because the data will prove them wrong but they will just say we were better to be cautious than make the mistake we made last Autumn (well they will never admit they got it wrong publicly but my view in private they know that was the case and thats influencing them)

Mintona

Established Member
It’s late on a Sunday evening and Laura Kuenssberg (right time and journalist) has tweeted that a four week delay will be announced tomorrow.

*pretends to be shocked*

I’d say that pretty much guarantees restrictions until spring of next year.

Govt source says ministers have agreed to delay lifting of covid regulations for 4 weeks - but, not clear if what caveats or exceptions may apply and no official confirmation tonight - PM will announce final decision early evening tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
It’s late on a Sunday evening and Laura Kuenssberg (right time and journalist) has tweeted that a four week delay will be announced tomorrow.

*pretends to be shocked*

I’d say that pretty much guarantees restrictions until spring of next year.

Yes and these same politicians are basically having a lavish weekend in Cornwall with leaders from other countries, who no doubt didn't self quarantine.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yes and these same politicians are basically having a lavish weekend in Cornwall with leaders from other countries, who no doubt didn't self quarantine.
Indeed, the sheer contempt shown was shocking but not surprising. I only hope that enough people join the dots to make this a very difficult 5 weeks for the government. Heads need to roll (metaphorically speaking), starting from the top.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

If they find (and are recruited for) a better job with better flexibility, they certainly will.

londonteacher

Indeed, the sheer contempt shown was shocking but not surprising. I only hope that enough people join the dots to make this a very difficult 5 weeks for the government. Heads need to roll (metaphorically speaking), starting from the top.
Everything they did was in the rules though.

I would argue that them coming in person was wrong as we are banned from entering their countries. But, an in person meeting for this reason is definitely better than over Zoom.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I would argue that them coming in person was wrong as we are banned from entering their countries. But, an in person meeting for this reason is definitely better than over Zoom.
Dominic Raab made it clear yesterday, it was within their rules not those that govern the rest of us. It's not exactly a good look flaunting the differences days before they decide to extend restrictions, and has angered a lot of people this weekend. Government officials can go to a gathering of more than 30, in full public view, but their citizens cannot. Expect a lot more fallout today.

philosopher

Established Member
Agreed, I hope it is a difficult few weeks for the government too. For example Cabinet ministers or MPs resigning over the issue, effected businesses clubbing together making it clear to the government in well publicised statement that this must be the only delay, media becoming increasingly critical of the measures, etc.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Well we can start by not wearing masks after next Monday. Even if we're still compelled to do table service in bars and keep 1m apart from those not in our social bubbles.

Apparently, weddings and funerals will still be raised to pre-COVID levels, i.e. no restrictions on the number of attendees.

big_rig

If everything was 'in the rules' then why did they continue to put up ridiculous official pictures of them wearing masks, 'elbow bumping' and the rest of all this crap, instead of the real photos of them completely ignoring all the theatre? It's almost like there's one set of activities done for show for the proles, then they get back to living normally?

Bantamzen

Established Member
It's also being reported this morning that the Chancellor will not be looking to extend the furlough scheme, meaning that from the 1st July they will cover only 70% of wages, a further pay cut for potentially millions. Strangely enough the BBC is yet to pick up on this potentially fiery political situation.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It's also being reported this morning that the Chancellor will not be looking to extend the furlough scheme, meaning that from the 1st July they will cover only 70% of wages, a further pay cut for potentially millions. Strangely enough the BBC is yet to pick up on this potentially fiery political situation.

Good - where are we getting this money from? Some magical trees in a Swedish forest?!

nlogax

Established Member

We should take that as a hugely positive sign. Incoming four week extension aside, further restrictions are not on the cards if people and employers will be encouraged to resume normality without a safety net.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm not going to have my second part of the Vaccination. It has been absolutely pointless if stuff doesn't get eased. I will resume my treatment when it unlocks freedom. Right now, I cannot do anything that an un-vaccinated can't do. First it was the Vulnerable. Then over 60. Then over 50. Then over 40. See the pattern? Lied to.
Have you ever considered the recent reported cases where people are adamant that full or part vaccination is not for them and cite personal freedom. The trouble with that reasoning is that it completely overlooks the chance that should these people become carriers, they have the ability to infect other people.

Remember the 1906 case in New York of Mary Mallon, aka "Typhoid Mary" to see how an infected person can pass the virus onto other people, which in some cases resulted in deaths.

Good - where are we getting this money from? Some magical trees in a Swedish forest?!
You need to ask the Labour Party that question as they have always believed in magical money trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.