• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should table seats be abolished in quiet coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham43404

On the 13:45 East Coast HST from Leeds to KX at the moment. Yet again some business type blokes are at a table seat further down the coach having a loud chat.

At weekends its worse as groups tend to head to table seats like they are a magnet to them and make as much noise as they want without actually using mobiles, which a lot of the time would actually be quieter.

So are there people like me and my wife who think quiet coaches should be airline seats only due to groups making noise, or is that penalising the few groups that don't make loads of noise?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
I see your point and can understand arguments for and against. Perhaps the solution is to go down the XC route and only have 2 tables in the quite coach.

The worrying thing is, suggest this to TOCs and they'll do it straight away as it means more seats with less comfort for the tall (I'm 5' 10" and some seats are painful on the knees to sit in for a long time).

cuccir

Established Member
As has been mentioned before on this topic, a lot of booking engines will put people who request 'table' into the quiet coach if no other tables are left, without them realising/wanting it. I think it would be a good move, particularly if the loss was offset with a couple of extra tables elsewhere. But it wouldn't be worth the cost of refitting the trains!

4SRKT

Established Member
I have to say that I have never considered that I or anyone else I know talks more in the presence of a table ;)

Do any TOCs have a facility to choose not to be put in a quiet coach? EC only has the options of Quiet Coach or No Preference on its website, which is ridiculous as Noisy Coach is a perfectly obvious third option. If you want Noisy Coach and get put into the Quiet Coach when booking you have to go through the hassle of moving yourself (and more than likely your young family that is the reason you want Noisy Coach in the first place) on their seat diagrams (if you happen to spot that you have been allocated contrary to your wishes that is). This is a nuisance and could easily be resolved by a third choice in the drop-down.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
On the 13:45 East Coast HST from Leeds to KX at the moment. Yet again some business type blokes are at a table seat further down the coach having a loud chat.

At weekends its worse as groups tend to head to table seats like they are a magnet to them and make as much noise as they want without actually using mobiles, which a lot of the time would actually be quieter.

So are there people like me and my wife who think quiet coaches should be airline seats only due to groups making noise, or is that penalising the few groups that don't make loads of noise?

A quiet word with them to start with. If you don't want to do it yourself then tell the guard, if he/she ever appears. Some people might not realise that they are in the Quiet Coach/Zone.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Maybe have the option of quiet and lively like iDTGV (though all iDTGV services are reservation only)

graham43404

A quiet word with them to start with. If you don't want to do it yourself then tell the guard, if he/she ever appears. Some people might not realise that they are in the Quiet Coach/Zone.
They realise like most people exactly where they are I'm afraid, the guard even told them at Leeds as we got on the train about using a mobile. They are loud enough to be heard but not enough to go and have a word with if you know what I mean. At least they are not like the cackling 40 something year old women the other week going to KX.

As for table seats even though I am 6ft 4in I avoid them like the plauge as I hate playing foot tennis with someone facing, or heaven forbid getting a weirdo who wants to tell you there life story for two hours. Much better to put up with the limited legroom :lol:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
They realise like most people exactly where they are I'm afraid, the guard even told them at Leeds as we got on the train about using a mobile. They are loud enough to be heard but not enough to go and have a word with if you know what I mean. At least they are not like the cackling 40 something year old women the other week going to KX.

As for table seats even though I am 6ft 4in I avoid them like the plauge as I hate playing foot tennis with someone facing, or heaven forbid getting a weirdo who wants to tell you there life story for two hours. Much better to put up with the limited legroom :lol:

Last time I got the quiet coach from Shipley to Kings X there was a woman showing her companinons videos on her phone. Apparently with the volume on full. Fortunately they were only going to Leeds.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I think it's an excellent idea to remove tables in quiet coaches! I'm afraid that people who are gathered around tables do talk more, it's a natural thing when you are facing someone else.

Perhaps they could compensate by putting a few more tables in the rest of the train?

Even if it can't be done now it is something that should be done for all new rolling stock designs!

4SRKT

Established Member
Last time I got the quiet coach from Shipley to Kings X there was a woman showing her companinons videos on her phone. Apparently with the volume on full. Fortunately they were only going to Leeds.

Were they saucy videos? Was it anyone I know I wonder? ;)

coupwotcoup

I think it's an excellent idea to remove tables in quiet coaches! I'm afraid that people who are gathered around tables do talk more, it's a natural thing when you are facing someone else.

But surely being English, we don't start talking to strangers on a train unless something untoward happens or until ten minutes before the end of the journey when confidence is high.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
But surely being English, we don't start talking to strangers on a train unless something untoward happens or until ten minutes before the end of the journey when confidence is high.

That's very true! I was thinking more of Mrs Greenback rabbiting on when we sit across from each other on heritage lines! She is much quieter when we are adjacent!

Of course, it's a bit unfair to put all the balme on her, I'm probably a little bit more talkative myself!

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I think you mean "Southerners", not "English". Happens all the time in Yorkshire. Admittedly even more often on my 2318 ex Leeds on a Friday or Saturday...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Were they saucy videos? Was it anyone I know I wonder? ;)

I don't think they were saucy though they they did seem to be amusing them. I wasn't close enough to check for sure. Could well be someone you know. I'll be back on the train on Monday (though probably not in the quiet carriage)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Do FGW still have a "family" coach on their HSTs? This may have been weekends only, and not on the Oxford services?

coupwotcoup

So not all Yorkies are irascible then? I like to keep my head down
so as to avoid the train nutter or having to listen to some boring
fart's life story.
Getting back on track, most people - I think, gravitate towards a
table seat. It's kinda like your own personal space but again, one
has to be wary as to what sort of company it attracts seconds
before the doors close when one is trapped.
(Frantically searches for iphone)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Do FGW still have a "family" coach on their HSTs? This may have been weekends only, and not on the Oxford services?

They had them after the refurb for a while, but I'm not sure if they are still going. I believe they once advised that 'families could sit across from each other [in airline seats]' after they abolished all bar two tables!

stut

Established Member
I think you mean "Southerners", not "English". Happens all the time in Yorkshire. Admittedly even more often on my 2318 ex Leeds on a Friday or Saturday...

I think you mean "Londoners", not "Southerners"! The commuter trains on the GN route have always been pleasantly sociable affairs for me.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I think you mean "Londoners", not "Southerners"! The commuter trains on the GN route have always been pleasantly sociable affairs for me.

That wasn't my experience of 3 years' commuting from Hitchin! Although it's the only line I've come across people taking coke on the train.

stut

Established Member
That wasn't my experience of 3 years' commuting from Hitchin! Although it's the only line I've come across people taking coke on the train.

Ah, maybe it's just us simple country folk from the outer reaches of the line then! The joys of trains that whoosh through Hitchin...

(And the weirdness of the woman with the wheelie suitcase who has a ham sandwich and a diet coke... For breakfast. Every morning. There's no shortage of talking points on these trains.)

chrisg

In London, talking to other people on any form of public transport is strictly forbidden. In exceptional circumstances (delays of more than 1 hour), I feel comfortable enough with sharing any updates from my phone with those nearest to me on the carriage. But as I said, these are exceptional events. :lol:

Oswyntail

Established Member
In London, talking to other people on any form of public transport is strictly forbidden. .....
Yes, another feature of the capital we could spread round to the less civilised areas. Why have any seats together - I am sure an arrangement could be found of single seats looking in different directions such that no one is facing anyone else or next to them. Or take a leaf out of the CIA/Tony Blair book and make everyone travel with a hood over their head. Truly extraordinary rendition of travel then.
Or we could stop thinking that everyone else is a pain, and let people chat.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, another feature of the capital we could spread round to the less civilised areas. Why have any seats together - I am sure an arrangement could be found of single seats looking in different directions such that no one is facing anyone else or next to them. Or take a leaf out of the CIA/Tony Blair book and make everyone travel with a hood over their head. Truly extraordinary rendition of travel then.
Or we could stop thinking that everyone else is a pain, and let people chat.

Chatting is fine. I even manage a bit of chatting myself. But I don;t particularly want to hear a loud discussion on the medical details of two pregnancies for an hour and a half like I did last night, thank you very much!

I mean, why do people have to talk so loudly that everyone in the carriage can hear them?

stut

Established Member
In London, talking to other people on any form of public transport is strictly forbidden. In exceptional circumstances (delays of more than 1 hour), I feel comfortable enough with sharing any updates from my phone with those nearest to me on the carriage. But as I said, these are exceptional events. :lol:

I know, it's official, too:

NoTalking-746332.jpg

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Don't even propose removing tables, please! I find the FGW high density seating to be the least comfortable HST fit out. Right now I'm in a quiet coach at a table and appreciating it very much. (in fact the adjacent 6 tables, which are all vacant too)

Status
Not open for further replies.