• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should the names of our train drivers be known to the public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

Another forum I follow as a regular traveler by air is Pprune. Professional Pilots Rumour Network. Recently there has been a thread https://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/619772-why-we-told-pilots-names.html asking why when we fly are we told the names of the pilots? And it's true, the pilots names are given out on all airlines before takeoff, even if, like all the other safety announcements, it passes from one ear and out the other without any retention of the information, lets be honest.

There is one post that claims: "Maybe because it takes more training and skill to "pilot" a plane or ship than to "drive" a bus or train?". I can hear the sharp intakes of breath already.

But, thinking about it, why shouldn't we know the names of our drivers. To me the overwhelming majority of them do an amazing job, with route knowledge etc. They do their best to get us from A to be in spite of many obstacles put in their way, and there are more than a handful who have, in my experience, been able to make up a few minutes on a journey when the service has been delayed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

38Cto15E

I think it was in the 1950's, some GWR locos had the drivers name on the side of the cab, presumably only on express trains. I understand they were able to accept 'tips' from their passengers as well if the service arrived on time.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Another forum I follow as a regular traveler by air is Pprune. Professional Pilots Rumour Network. Recently there has been a thread https://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/619772-why-we-told-pilots-names.html asking why when we fly are we told the names of the pilots? And it's true, the pilots names are given out on all airlines before takeoff, even if, like all the other safety announcements, it passes from one ear and out the other without any retention of the information, lets be honest.

There is one post that claims: "Maybe because it takes more training and skill to "pilot" a plane or ship than to "drive" a bus or train?". I can hear the sharp intakes of breath already.

But, thinking about it, why shouldn't we know the names of our drivers. To me the overwhelming majority of them do an amazing job, with route knowledge etc. They do their best to get us from A to be in spite of many obstacles put in their way, and there are more than a handful who have, in my experience, been able to make up a few minutes on a journey when the service has been delayed.

What benefit does it add to me as a passenger if i know the train drivers name? It seems a complete waste of time to me. That doesn't for one moment mean that I don't respect their job or them as people. I just don't think it adds anything to my journey. The only contact i could possibly have with them is via a wave or a quick cheers mate if it is terminal.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
What benefit does it add to me as a passenger if i know the train drivers name? It seems a complete waste of time to me. That doesn't for one moment mean that I don't respect their job or them as people. I just don't think it adds anything to my journey. The only contact i could possibly have with them is via a wave or a quick cheers mate if it is terminal.

Agreed, plus what happens when the driver changes, such as on long routes?

Established Member
I think it was Nick Hewer on the TV programme Room 101 that wanted to consign these sorts of ideas to the vaults. Knowing that Sally was the guard or Simon was the buffet steward wasn’t much use to him if the train was on fire ;)

Reminds me of a story of an irate passenger arriving at Liverpool St confronting the driver over something. He couldn’t placate her, but noticing a badge he was wearing said “I’ve got your name and number”. History doesn’t relate how her complaint against 70003 John Bunyan turned out :D

d9009alycidon

Just as an aside - on an Edinburgh to London BA flight some years ago the pilot was Captain Kirk, that raised a ripple of laughter when it was announced

Mintona

Established Member
I don’t think it really matters. I don’t particularly mind the passengers knowing my name but it also doesn’t add anything to their journey to do so. Probably just a few annoyed tweets when held at a red signal.

Established Member
Just as an aside - on an Edinburgh to London BA flight some years ago the pilot was Captain Kirk, that raised a ripple of laughter when it was announced

No doubt there is a driver Driver somewhere. Was told of a conductor Currant, but that may have been a wind up.

Last edited:

kristiang85

Established Member
It doesn't matter really, but when someone goes beyond and above their duty, its always nice to have a name to hand to tweet customer service to compliment them.

Then again, given the state of the railways in places, the opposite is true as well I guess!

03_179

Established Member
Can you picture some of the posts on here ...

I've just got 181 mile behind Bert Smith .... LOL

Darandio

Established Member
Surely it would add a new dimension to those interested in recording literally everything railway related. Imagine the platform end discussion about their next trip to try and score a driver they are missing.

03_179

Established Member
Surely it would add a new dimension to those interested in recording literally everything railway related. Imagine the platform end discussion about their next trip to try and score a driver they are missing.
#
Yep ...

"I 'copped' Bert Smith yesterday"
"Yeah I had him overnight last Thursday"

sw1ller

Established Member
I don’t know how true this story is, but many people have told it me. One of the drivers had a particularly nasty day in court after a fatality, the victims family were threatening him and hurling abuse, even threatened to come to his house. Was only after the coroner gave his statement that there was absolutely nothing the driver could do that the family stopped. There really are people out there that think trains can stop on a dime and can swerve out the way. I’ll happily give my name out to irate customers, but I’d like to stay anonymous for times like that. Had this family known who the driver was in the 8 months (guessed the time frame but it’s about normal) it took to go to court, then it could have been a very different story. Like has been said, it adds nothing to anyone’s journey.

Last time I gave it out was to 3 middle aged women that missed their stop and it was somehow my fault. I’m always polite when I’m getting screamed at.

westv

Established Member
The TM almost always announces the names of all the train crew on the Hull Trains services I use.

Unless the public start wearing name badges and providing their names to train crew I certainly won't be providing my name to them on any trains I drive. I don't wish people to know my name without good reason so don't wear a name badge for that reason. Most of my colleagues are the same. In this day and age of social media, the public can do a lot of damage knowing your name when things go wrong.

bionic

Its not on to be naming people as a matter of course. It's bad enough with all the Twitter trolls moaning and sniping and grassing as it is without them being told drivers names. That's just what everyone needs, some nutcase finding drivers on Facebook, directory enquiries or the electoral roll. This idea is a non starter. In the past when drivers have been given name badges 90% have refused to wear them... and for good reason.

Edit: just seen 380101s post above. My thoughts exactly!

WideRanger

On flights, the names of the flight crew are not always given out. Famously, King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, when working as a First Officer for KLM airlines would always give the announcements from the flight deck. This was so that he could introduce himself as 'your First Officer' and say 'Captain X and I', without giving his own name.

Incidentally, on many trains in Japan both the Driver and Guard put a sign saying their name in a specified part of the cab window. As part of the (common) 30-second crew changes, one of the first things you see is the name badge being whipped out and replaced by that of the new crew.

MrPIC

I see no problem with the public knowing my first name, only if they ask of course (or read my name badge). If they want to make a complaint or whatever they can have my headcode or diagram number only.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
It doesn't matter really, but when someone goes beyond and above their duty, its always nice to have a name to hand to tweet customer service to compliment them.
I’m unsure how a train driver can go beyond the call of duty in normal circumstances or why you would want to Tweet about them. Their duty is to get the train to its destination safely and on time, track adhesion and signalling permitting, and if the train is DOO inform passengers of the reason for delays. How can he/she go beyond that when they are sat in a cab?

One huge difference between plane and train is planes don’t make 30 stops en-route. Another pointless announcement after every station is the last thing that’s needed.

I doubt pilots state their name to be boastful. It’s far more likely to be related to some people being extremely nervous about flying and a friendly announcement from the person who is in charge of the plane not plummeting into the sea could relax them a bit. You don’t get that nervousness with train passengers.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I know someone who works as a driver and I would actually like to travel on a train they are driving. Recently I bumped into them, for the first time, whilst they were working. They were about to check a train they were taking out had been split correctly.

I'd just alighted off said unsplit train!

Incidentally does anyone know why pilots give out there name? How many pilots are there on a long haul flight? Do they all state their names at the start or just when they take over?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Unless the public start wearing name badges and providing their names to train crew I certainly won't be providing my name to them on any trains I drive. I don't wish people to know my name without good reason so don't wear a name badge for that reason. Most of my colleagues are the same. In this day and age of social media, the public can do a lot of damage knowing your name when things go wrong.

Its not on to be naming people as a matter of course. It's bad enough with all the Twitter trolls moaning and sniping and grassing as it is without them being told drivers names. That's just what everyone needs, some nutcase finding drivers on Facebook, directory enquiries or the electoral roll. This idea is a non starter. In the past when drivers have been given name badges 90% have refused to wear them... and for good reason.

Edit: just seen 380101s post above. My thoughts exactly!

I wonder if airline pilots get abuse online?

I’m unsure how a train driver can go beyond the call of duty in normal circumstances or why you would want to Tweet about them. Their duty is to get the train to its destination safely and on time, track adhesion and signalling permitting, and if the train is DOO inform passengers of the reason for delays. How can he/she go beyond that when they are sat in a cab?

One huge difference between plane and train is planes don’t make 30 stops en-route. Another pointless announcement after every station is the last thing that’s needed.

I doubt pilots state their name to be boastful. It’s far more likely to be related to some people being extremely nervous about flying and a friendly announcement from the person who is in charge of the plane not plummeting into the sea could relax them a bit. You don’t get that nervousness with train passengers.

Someone who suffers with anxiety might get nervous on a train.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Someone who suffers with anxiety might get nervous on a train.
Someone who suffers with anxiety might get nervous in all sorts of situations. That's the definition of anxiety. In relation to this topic the only response I can think of is so what?

Bantamzen

Established Member

Quite a lot of the public already unwittingly do, wearing work related lanyards when commuting!! :D

ijmad

Established Member

The reason it's done on airlines is that it's been shown that pilots personally introducing themselves and speaking authoritatively makes it far more likely that passengers will follow their instructions in a critical emergency.

The sorts of emergencies that happen on trains are different. Receiving instructions over the PA from the driver may not be as critical as on an airliner with an engine fire.

I see no problem with the public knowing my first name, only if they ask of course (or read my name badge). If they want to make a complaint or whatever they can have my headcode or diagram number only.

I once got told I was being obstructive by a customer because after giving them my first name, I said they didn't need any more because I'm the only one in the organisation with that first name so it would still identify me. (I'm not a driver by the way)

At one TOC in the past, all staff wore badges with their full name, but staff at one station were receiving targeted abuse. The solution was to issue them with new badges that had their real first name but a fake surname which could only be traced through internal records. Wouldn't like to get into a situation where that becomes standard.

DelW

Established Member
I don't think it's at all to do with levels of skill or training. On most flights the crew introduce the cabin crew by name as well, though often only first names.
Incidentally does anyone know why pilots give out there name? How many pilots are there on a long haul flight? Do they all state their names at the start or just when they take over?
In my experience it's usually when about to push back or taxiing to the runway, so if the flight crew have changed during a stopover, the new crew would announce themselves then. I've never consciously heard a change of flight crew in the air, so either I was asleep, or I haven't been on a such a flight, or they don't announce it. I have done single sectors up to around 13 hours without hearing of a crew change.

In steam days there were drivers whose names were well-known even to the general public, often in connection with record runs. I think that was the case as late as the 1960s.

alxndr

Established Member
I fail to see what positive benefit it would bring. If I wanted to specifically thank a member of staff I could do so with the information that I would have anyway (driver/guard/etc of x service). All giving names would do would add an extra announcement and possibly make a target for any disgruntled passengers—who may not understand that the driver can only do what the signals and rulebook tell them to do—to find.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
When first introduced drivers were given the option of their real name or a nom de plume. Many weird and wonderful names appeared (from David Haselhof to Spiro Agnew) until they settled on first name only. If you need to identify a particular driver then the old fashioned method of stating what train you travelled on works fine. Would many of the increasing ranks of female drivers like to let Joe Public the stalker know who they are? With flying the majority travelling are doing an occasional or one off trip - with a train journey you may be seeing the same people daily (at least for a week) giving some the opportunity to build up a dislike or attraction to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.