• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should we introduce a 3rd class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Masboroughlad

Established Member
To be honest, I think there are that many different comforts /standards /rides /qualities /speeds etc, we already have a multi-class rail system. You can hardly compare a bus seated Pacer's standard class with that on a Pendolino or a 125 for example.

I'd hardly call an overcrowded 185 on a Friday evening, hot, busy, stood up like sardines in a can - standard class. I've seen sheep transported better!!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
We used to have third class many years ago, why did they remove it?

Third became second at a guess in the 60s, then standard in the 90s. Probably doesn't go well with politcal correctness, hence the change.

Last edited:

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Standard replaced second in the late eighties/early nineties on BR. Deemed more PC I think.

ie. Standard sort of infers the norm - 2nd class could be seen to have neagtive undertones (not to me I have to say!). Didn't Virgin go Club Class rather than first but soon saw the error of their ways!

WestCoast

Established Member
I presume the term "standard class" as opposed to "second class" (which many European operators still use) is deemed more politically correct?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Didn't Virgin go Club Class rather than first but soon saw the error of their ways!

They did, but on the voyagers only. I believe this was to reflect the differing levels of service between the pendolinos and voyagers.

WestCoast

Established Member
I have sat in a luggage rack before and also on a table - I wonder what class that would be? ;)

Yew

Established Member
we already have third class, its called a peak time train, where it is absolutely packed, However you have to pay more for it....

HST Power

Established Member
I think when you buy a First Class ticket, you should be guaranteed a seat. I've purchased First Class tickets on a number of occasions for my short trip from Letchworth to London Kings Cross, yet the carriages are reguarly full and thus I'm stuck standing in standard class, as the train is always (and I mean always) packed to the top. If you're taking a relatively short trip (less than an hour) the whole point of going First is that you get a seat. There's nothing else to offer on First Capital Connect trains, so a seat should be guaranteed, otherwise the extra expenditure is completely pointless.

Personally, I doubt they'd make a third class, as it would probably breach 'health and safety' regulations. Whilst I'd happily sit on my briefcase if it meant I could save a few pennies, there's no way a train operator would be allowed to let that happen, as the UK has gone totally mad as far as safety is concerned. You can't even kick a football without having to write a twenty page report on the hazards.

WestCoast

Established Member
Once sat on a luggage rack on a 158 (I think) from Shrewsbury-Cardiff (via Hereford) once, quite nice!

I have sat on a rack on a pacer (Blackpool Pleasure Beach closing time, I had no choice) and a packed voyager during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, both were not great experiences. Having said that, the 'luggage rack' on the pacer is more like a shelf, high up to!

I wouldn't do it on a commuter run though!

GodAtum

On Moderation
I think when you buy a First Class ticket, you should be guaranteed a seat. I've purchased First Class tickets on a number of occasions for my short trip from Letchworth to London Kings Cross, yet the carriages are reguarly full and thus I'm stuck standing in standard class, as the train is always (and I mean always) packed to the top. If you're taking a relatively short trip (less than an hour) the whole point of going First is that you get a seat. There's nothing else to offer on First Capital Connect trains, so a seat should be guaranteed, otherwise the extra expenditure is completely pointless.

Thats a good idea, if I'm unlucky there are sometimes no seats in first so i have to stand in the compartment!

All Line Rover

Established Member
DON'T mention "Standard Premier"!

I would be furious if Virgin Trains introduced such a terrible "class".

I personally don't mind sitting among business travellers. At least most of them are quiet!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There used to be a 'Silver Standard' on some Liverpool/Manchester-London trains in BR days. For full-fare Standard passengers only, think there was a separate carriage and a free trolley...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think when you buy a First Class ticket, you should be guaranteed a seat.

A nice idea but it would require compulsory reservations in order to work, is that the direction we want rail travel to go towards (even further than it already has on some routes)?

pemma

Veteran Member
DON'T mention "Standard Premier"!

I would be furious if Virgin Trains introduced such a terrible "class".

I personally don't mind sitting among business travellers. At least most of them are quiet!

They effectively have 3 classes on board but advertise 2. On both Pendolinos and Voyagers there's a FC carriage with 2+2 seating which automatically becomes standard class on a Birmingham-Scotland service or on a London service in the school summer holidays.

WestCoast

Established Member
They effectively have 3 classes on board but advertise 2. On both Pendolinos and Voyagers there's a FC carriage with 2+2 seating which automatically becomes standard class on a Birmingham-Scotland service or on a London service in the school summer holidays.

Yes, the interchangeable coach D is very popular when it's standard class on Birmingham - Scotland runs for the comfy seats, tables and free first-class Wi-Fi! :D

GarethW

I think standing inside is still standard class - third class should be outside - hanging off the sides and premuim third class should be sat on the roof, just like in India.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Yes, the interchangeable coach D is very popular when it's standard class on Birmingham - Scotland runs for the comfy seats, tables and free first-class Wi-Fi! :D

I don't consider coach D to be a First Class coach myself. Whenever I travel on a Super Voyager to London, I always make sure that my reservation is for coach E!

WestCoast

Established Member
I don't consider coach D to be a First Class coach myself. Whenever I travel on a Super Voyager to London, I always make sure that my reservation is for coach E!

No, it's Premium Standard!!!!! :lol::o

All Line Rover

Established Member
No, it's Premium Standard!!!!! :lol::o

It's not Premium Standard on the trains to London! :)

Personally I'd be very annoyed if I've paid extra for First Class (mainly for the extra legroom and wider seat) only to get a Standard Class seat with a "table" and being forced to sit next to a stranger. <(

WestCoast

Established Member
It's not Premium Standard on the trains to London! :)

Personally I'd be very annoyed if I've paid extra for First Class (mainly for the extra legroom and wider seat) only to get a Standard Class seat with a "table" and being forced to sit next to a stranger. <(

It's Economy First or to borrow Eurostar's terminology, "Leisure First". :lol: I agree it's an unacceptable situation and Virgin themselves have accepted this.

HST Power

Established Member
A nice idea but it would require compulsory reservations in order to work, is that the direction we want rail travel to go towards (even further than it already has on some routes)?

Well as far as journies on FCC trains go, which barely last more than an hour, you only buy First Class for a seat. There's nothing else in it, no meals, no charging points, no drinks. If you've put money onto a First Class ticket, you should be guaranteed a seat as the journies are only short and First Class gives you nothing else whatsover.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you've put money onto a First Class ticket, you should be guaranteed a seat as the journies are only short and First Class gives you nothing else whatsover.

Yes but in order to guarantee that you get a seat you're going to need to manage the demand somehow and the simplest way of doing that is making first class reservations compulsory. Otherwise how do you guarantee a seat for first class passengers? Add more first class seating? Turf standard class ticket holders out of standard class seats to accommodate first class tickets? The only way I can see to guarantee a seat for first class is to make them have a reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.