• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should We Leave the EU?

Do you believe the UK should stay in or leave the EU?

• Stay in the EU

Votes: 229 61.4%
  • Leave the EU

Votes: 120 32.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 24 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

miami

Established Member
So apparently MI5 has employed thousands of midgets to hide in ballot boxes, waiting for leave votes to come in, then carefully rubbing out the X, not leaving a mark, and replacing the X in the "remain box" before the boxes are sealed and taken to the central counting.

Its absolutely true because I read it in the daily mail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gutfright

The bit where you said the evidence doesn't stack up to the theory.

Go back and read what I actually wrote. Did you see the word "if there? That word makes a lot of difference.

If reciprocity theory predicted that nobody can ever gain an advantage from being selfish, if it predicted that such a thing would never, ever happen in real life then of course RT should be thrown in the bin.

Of course reciprocity theory suggests no such thing, that's just your demented misunderstanding of it.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Go back and read what I actually wrote. Did you see the word "if there? That word makes a lot of difference.

If reciprocity theory predicted that nobody can ever gain an advantage from being selfish, if it predicted that such a thing would never, ever happen in real life then of course RT should be thrown in the bin.

Of course reciprocity theory suggests no such thing, that's just your demented misunderstanding of it.

Except it doesn't predict that. It's pretty ridiculous when you're telling me my own interpretation of the theory that I introduced you to.

This is getting absurd, and you've still yet to explain how the Strasbourg shuffle is relevant if you're willing to admit it doesn't mean that people will always cooperate all the time. Again, this is just more sophistry and confirmation bias, and you're running round in circles constantly contradicting yourself.

First the PD proves you right, then I explained reciprocity and suddenly you have counterexamples here and there etc. It's not consistent, and I'm struggling to ascertain much coherence in what you're actually trying to say.

Last edited:

Gutfright

Except it doesn't predict that.

I've been consistently saying that it's possible to act in a selfish manner and still come out on top for what feels like the past one trillion posts.

It's such a relief that, in a grudging and roundabout sort of way, you've finally admitted the starkly bleedin' obvious fact that I'm right.

This is getting absurd, and you've still yet to explain how the Strasbourg shuffle is relevant if you're willing to admit it doesn't mean that people will always cooperate all the time.

Jesus effing Christ. How many times?

The Strasbourg shuffle is a real-world example of the French acting in a selfish manner, getting the best outcome for themselves and the worst for everybody else.

It demonstrates that people sometimes do act in a selfish manner and that sometimes selfish countries come out on top.

Seeing as you have finally capitulated to logic and reason, and you now agree with me, I see little benefit to either of us in continuing this conversation.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I've been consistently saying that it's possible to act in a selfish manner and still come out on top for what feels like the past one trillion posts.

It's such a relief that, in a grudging and roundabout sort of way, you've finally admitted the starkly bleedin' obvious fact that I'm right.

No-one denies that it sometimes works - thanks for pointing out that it occasionally happens. The entire point is that it doesn't pay off in the long run, especially if people follow the strategy that both a) makes it not pay off, and b) ensures the best situation for everyone involved. That strategy being reciprocity. How difficult is it to understand that a single counterexample is not relevant, especially when it's not even a counterexample because you haven't shown that the rest of the EEA capitulated with no concessions.

Jesus effing Christ. How many times?

The Strasbourg shuffle is a real-world example of the French acting in a selfish manner, getting the best outcome for themselves and the worst for everybody else.

It demonstrates that people sometimes do act in a selfish manner and that sometimes selfish countries come out on top.

Seeing as you have finally capitulated to logic and reason, and you now agree with me, I see little benefit to either of us in continuing this conversation.

See above.

What you're saying is not "logic and reason" - it's sophistry, and you're refusing to admit that it's neither usual nor relevant. The fact that you think it supports you at all is, yet again, confirmation bias.

If you can produce evidence that it tends to lead to someone being better off then you might have a point. But you haven't. Indeed - you've repeatedly danced around and ignored that point again and again and again because it doesn't support your preconceived opinion.

When I make a point about reciprocity theory tending to cooperation, turning around with a single counterexample does not show it's wrong. Especially when you project your own black-and-white misunderstanding of "always leads to cooperation" or "never leads to cooperation" onto matters, which I never claimed. When the empirical evidence shows a trend, we should acknowledge that trend - your single example against is simply irrelevant, when you're advocating we follow a less than optimal strategy in our future dealings with Europe.

Last edited:

Railops

What's all this rubbish above, is it just an excuse for someone to demonstrate how many big and clever words he knows, it's certainly nothing to do with this thread.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
So apparently MI5 has employed thousands of midgets to hide in ballot boxes, waiting for leave votes to come in, then carefully rubbing out the X, not leaving a mark, and replacing the X in the "remain box" before the boxes are sealed and taken to the central counting.

Its absolumtely true because I read it in the daily mail.
A point to make here. 1. The Daily Mail is the second-most biased leave newspaper. Of course they would say that. May I ask, are/have you voting/voted leave in the referendum? (Please cross out as necessary)

TheKnightWho

Established Member
What's all this rubbish above, is it just an excuse for someone to demonstrate how many big and clever words he knows, it's certainly nothing to do with this thread.

Clearly you have as much disdain for education as you do for anything else which proves you wrong. :)

Not everyone is as arrogant as you, assuming something must be rubbish because you can't understand it.

Harbornite

Established Member

Those words aren't that big. You sound as if you're annoyed because you can't understand them!

miami

Established Member
A point to make here. 1. The Daily Mail is the second-most biased leave newspaper. Of course they would say that. May I ask, are/have you voting/voted leave in the referendum? (Please cross out as necessary)

The daily mail reference was tongue in cheek, it's social media that the paranoia has exploded over.

And yes, I intend to vote leave, it's the only sane choice. I'm not sure if they'll let me back in to the polling station though.

Antman

Established Member
Clearly you have as much disdain for education as you do for anything else which proves you wrong. :)

Not everyone is as arrogant as you, assuming something must be rubbish because you can't understand it.

OMG don't you ever give up? Haven't you got a job or anything else to do but spend all day on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.