• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shout out to ticket staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been from Sheffield to Nuneaton today mainly for the XC diversion.

I got a return Barnsley to Sheffield and a Derbyshire Wayfarer as far as Burton on trent.

Then asked the ticket office for returns from Burton to Nuneaton. Now the thing that was strange: I got 2 separate returns without asking, a Burton to Tamworth and a Tamworth to Nuneaton.

Didn't think anything of it, then checked NRE return BUT-NUN £20+

Split ticketing £14.75 without asking.

Big shout out to the EM staff at burton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Not a wise idea to shout them out - clear breach of impartial retailing under the TSA and by extension a franchise breach.

I expect they also failed to advise you of the greatly reduced passenger flexibility of the combination they sold you too, as you may only take trains which call at Tamworth.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Not a wise idea to shout them out - clear breach of impartial retailing under the TSA and by extension a franchise breach.

I expect they also failed to advise you of the greatly reduced passenger flexibility of the combination they sold you too, as you may only take trains which call at Tamworth.
If you're going to Nuneaton then going via Tamworth is very probably worth it - although looking at it, there are two non-overtaken itineraries per hour (during the main Monday-Friday periods), one of which goes non-stop from Burton to New Street then back out.

If ever there were a breach of impartial retailing, I'd hope the regulator is slow at enforcing this one, and faster at enforcing more egregious ones.

BluePenguin

On Moderation

Well if the rules say to swindle the customer out of extra money then they did as you say.

However the OP is happy to have saved money with the split they were given without having asked for them. Good on the member of staff I say.

Clip

Established Member
Well if the rules say to swindle the customer out of extra money then they did as you say.

Could you please point me to the rules which state this that you claim? Since Ive left the railway im a little rusty on them but this major change wouldve stood out so im happy to become more informed

Veteran Member
Given

Assuming the OP hadn't just missed the hourly connection by the shorter and cheaper NOT BIRMINGHAM route, then there is no loss of flexibility, as changing at Tamworth is the only option (except at 0818 via Water Orton).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Given

Assuming the OP hadn't just missed the hourly connection by the shorter and cheaper NOT BIRMINGHAM route, then there is no loss of flexibility, as changing at Tamworth is the only option (except at 0818 via Water Orton).

The OP was making a return journey and we don’t know how they planned to return (was it even asked by the clerk?). There’s a significant loss of flexibility in selling the combination here.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

However the OP is happy to have saved money with the split they were given without having asked for them. Good on the member of staff I say.

The member of staff broke the TSA - and by extension breached the TOC franchise - and we don’t even know if they were advised of the loss of flexibility by the clerk. The loss of flexibility here is akin to selling a cheaper TOC only ticket as opposed to the any permitted simply because it was cheaper. That’s not a good thing.

A good clerk needs to ascertain the customer’s needs. It doesn’t matter whether in this instance the customer was happy, if clerks are selling tickets without advising passengers of the restrictions, posters should “play the game fairly” and just admit it’s exactly as poor practice as selling TOC only tickets without being asked and without advising the restriction.

The forum would be up in arms at that example.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

The rules are to offer the lowest priced through fare that is appropriate for the journey being made.

They are not supposed to offer a combination of fares where a through fare exists.

They can offer a combination when the customer's needs are not met by a through fare.

I hope they do not get into trouble for saving people money, but it is a possibility.

Note that websites are allowed to offer combinations of tickets. As far as I know, all train companies have not chosen to do this, even though they could do.

Some third party sites will offer cheaper combinations e.g. Trainsplit.

Veteran Member
The OP was making a return journey and we don’t know how they planned to return (was it even asked by the clerk?). There’s a significant loss of flexibility in selling the combination here.
True, but in the particular context the lower priced fare (NOT VIA BHM) is the one I would expect to be offered unless I specifically asked for via BHM. The only loss of flexibility is to excess the return half.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Agreed; the not via Birmingham fare should be sold regardless of how the OP wished to return.

If the OP was certain they wished to return via Birmingham then they should additionally be issued with a change of route excess for the return portion only.

Going out of the way though isn't it via Birmingham?.
I did the journey because of diversion via toton while derby is shut (how long are they going that way).
Also 125 both ways to burton on trent :D:D:D:D.
Then 170 to tamworth and 350 to Nuneaton.
Normally the way I go is south pennine day ranger to stockport then return to Nuneaton via crewe and Stafford

Veteran Member
Going out of the way though isn't it via Birmingham?
Yes, but the ANY PERMITTED is valid that way. It's not so long ago that Tamworth-Nuneaton had a very limited direct service, so it was a useful option even if you didn't want to break your journey or enjoy a Cross Country Mk1...(OK, I'm showing my age now....)

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yes, but the ANY PERMITTED is valid that way. It's not so long ago that Tamworth-Nuneaton had a very limited direct service, so it was a useful option even if you didn't want to break your journey or enjoy a Cross Country Mk1...(OK, I'm showing my age now....)
It's valid that way and certainly priced that way (well, at least in the case of the WMT priced flows).

Status
Not open for further replies.