• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred's Europe and Asia trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds like quite the trip.

The depot in Usti nad Labem intrigues me as i'm going to the Czech Republic in June (ironically on a Sunday) and will have a few hours to kill. The route I take goes through there.

Even as a 19 year old pasty looking teenager, do you think they'd invite me in for a look around? :lol:

Yes I`m sure they will, do ask though, lovely people and an amazing depot, enjoy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Slovakia Trip, (Prague Hlavni Nadrazi, Czech Republic), (Day 1). Sunday 25th March 2018.

I was essentially concentrating on Slovakia this trip, shed bashing mainly and also travelling on a few new lines, I travelled the length and breadth of the country over an 8 day period using my free Slovakian rail pass, Although I`ve previously visited most of the locomotive depots in the past, Zvolen was new to me with its twin round houses traverse and workshops, I was given permission for all my depot visits which included Bratislava Hlavna, Zilina, Nove Zamky, Kosice, Trencianska Tepla, Zvolen, Spisska Nova Ves, Cierna nad Tisou and Leopoldov. How long this situation will last I`m not sure as I`ve noticed changes in the last few years and feel depot visits may be more restricted in the years to come.

I`d found a cheap flight from Liverpool to Prague, so flew into the Czech Republic for the first night, accommodation was the ever reliable Rosemary Hostel, idea for the main railway station and with very friendly staff. I was first on the plane at Liverpool; the pilot was the only one to beat me to a seat. On hitting the tarmac at Prague I was first on the express bus, rucksack dropped off at the Rosemary and on the platforms of Prague Hlavni Nadrazi in no time, it was good to be back.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104

shredder1

Established Member
Slovakia, (Day 2). Monday 26th March 2018.

I was essentially concentrating on Slovakia this trip, shed bashing mainly and also travelling on a few new lines, I travelled the length and breadth of the country over an 8 day period using my free Slovakian rail pass, Although I`ve previously visited most of the locomotive depots in the past, Zvolen was new to me with its twin half-round houses traverse and workshops, I was given permission for all my depot visits which included Bratislava Hlavna, Zilina, Nove Zamky, Kosice, Trencianska Tepla, Zvolen, Spisska Nova Ves, Cierna nad Tisou and Leopoldov. How long this situation will last I`m not sure as I`ve noticed changes in the last few years and feel depot visits may be more restricted in the years to come.

A bit of a lie-in at the Hostel Rosemary Prague and I was up just after day break for a change, breakfast at Hlvani Nadrazi railway station and then a train out to Brno, with a change to Breclav. I didn’t have time to go round the depot at Breclav this time, but did managed a few photographs from the platforms before catching a local 813 DMU across the Slovakian Border to Kuty, where I changed for a train into Bratislava Hlvana Stanica.

I spent most of the afternoon taking photographs around the station and later visited Hlvana locomotive depot, and then back to the railway station. The new batch of Vectron`s were in evidence in the new Slovakian Narodny Dopavca livery, they did look quite smart, but plenty of 240 Goldfish Bowls, 350 Gorilla`s and the Skoda electric 26x and 36x classes, the two Slovakian 381`s., CD 380`s and OBB 2016`s, plus plenty of freight operations. Bratislava Hlvana Stanica is always a busy railway station.

My accommodation for the night was a private room in the Hostel Bratislava, however they were advertising free Wi-Fi, but told me it wasn’t working when I arrived, which was a bit of a disappointment, but it was fine and cheap enough at £8. A few Czech Kozel`s and I was soon asleep, and ready for an early start the next day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...95294137983.1073743009.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Slovakia, (Day 3). Tuesday 27th March 2018.

I was essentially concentrating on Slovakia this trip, shed bashing mainly and also travelling on a few new lines, I travelled the length and breadth of the country over an 8 day period using my free Slovakian rail pass, Although I`ve previously visited most of the locomotive depots in the past, Zvolen was new to me with its twin half-round houses traverse and workshops, I was given permission for all my depot visits which included Bratislava Hlavna, Zilina, Nove Zamky, Kosice, Trencianska Tepla, Zvolen, Spisska Nova Ves, Cierna nad Tisou and Leopoldov. How long this situation will last I`m not sure as I`ve noticed changes in the last few years and feel depot visits may be more restricted in the years to come.

An early start to catch an early train from Bratislava Hlavna Stanica and I was treated to a Class 240 Goldfish Bowl which gave a good account for itself to Zvolen. I had previously travelled on an overnighter with my mate Rob last year from Bratislava via Zvolen to Kosice, but slept right through, so I had never seen Zvolen, which was said to be a mini Crewe, and it lived up to all expectations.

I arrived by around 10.00 am and the weather was good, bright with sunshine at times, Zvolen is host to the main workshops in Slovakia, I wasn’t sure where it actually was though. I arrived into Zvolen`s largest station Osobna Stanica and could see no sign of the works, after passing through a small park which had a military train plinthed and on display, one loco and two tanks, I climbed up the castle walls and from that advantage point, could see the location of the locomotive depot and workshops and worked out how to get round to them.

I entered the complex through some waste ground and climbed up on to a railway embankment into a line of locos, I followed these across the top sheds and traverse and walked into the shed foreman’s office, he very kindly gave me permission without question. I next spent a good hour photographing everything and going inside all the building and both roundhouses; it was an amazing place and certainly had plenty of locos on shed.
I even found an old steam loco at the back of the yard, and in the process of being renovated, a former Czechoslovakian 2-10-0, or 1'E. Number 556 039. It was built in Škoda Plzeň (in that age it was ZVIL - Závody Vladimíra Iljíče Lenina), a twin cylinder loco.

I left the depot by the front entranced, and immediately walked over a footbridge crossing all the main lines which dropped down to the platforms of Zvolen`s second largest station Nakladna Stanica. From there I walked up the road to find a local pizza house and had a large Hawaiian as I`d missed breakfast that morning. I next walked to the town centre and located Zvolen`s third railway station, a single platform on a single line, on a crossing and right in the middle of the town centre Zvolen Mesto.

After a walk through the town I returned to Zvolen Osobna Stanica and caught a train up to Banska Bystrica for a change onto a train to Zilina, a town I`ve visited a number of times. My first stop at Zilina was a visit to the locomotive depot; I was given permission and went around the depot and into the yard as a couple of 131 twins were parked up and a 2016 OBB diesel loco.

While walking up the line, this kid came running up to me, his English was poor but he seemed to want me to go with him and said no photos? I stood my ground and basically said I wasn’t going anywhere, he then strangely went to grab my arm, so I swung round and pushed him away, he stepped backwards and made a phone call, so I hung around to see what the score was. Within a few minutes another guy in a suit came along and shook my hand and said he was security and asked what I was photographing, I told him the trains and he said fine and apologised and they both walked off and I just carried on, very strange.

I was staying in Zilina for two nights and had booked a single room on the far side of town, the Hostel Mala Praha, I had a small private room with a telly and electric fire for £6 a night, a real bargain and a lovely Slovakian chap running it, in fact I had a few ales at the bar with him that night and after retiring to my I room slept well.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...18327089013.1073743016.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Slovakia, (Day 4). Wednesday 28th March 2018.

After a good night’s sleep, I was again up early at the Hostel Mala Praha and across town to the railway station just after first light. I`d booked a 07.00 am train to Strba, as I wanted to tackle the Tatra narrow gauge lines, but caught the wrong train and so alighted at Vrutky and waited for a connection, but the ticket office had given me the wrong platform and then changed it on the tannoy in Slovakian and given me the wrong information, so ultimately I missed the train to Strba and had to wait two hours for the next one. So after photographing the passing freight and having a walk around the town and grabbing a bite to eat, despite my early start I didn’t arrive at Strba until nearly 12.00 noon.

On arrival I made my way up to the Štrbské Pleso–Štrba rack railway platforms and caught the first train up the mountain to Strbske Pleso, an amazing system up the rack railway which took me above the snow line onto the Tatra Mountains. I changed trains at Strbske Pleso for the Tatra Electric Railway with a train for Poprad Tatry via the junction of Stary Smokovec and returning from Poprad Tatry to the junction for the branch down to Tatranska Lomnica for a standard gauge service down the branch to Studeny Potox for a train finally back to Poprad Tatry.

I was pleased to have completed the narrow gauge lines and branch line that I set out to do, so after spending a little time at Poprad Tatry railway station I took a later train to Zilina arriving back just as the last of the daylight was fading. Despite a later than usual start and hold up at Vrutky it had still been a very good day and I made my way back across the town for my last night at the Hostel Mala Praha, a few local ales and an early night as the following day was to be a busy shed bashing one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Štrbské_Pleso–Štrba_rack_railway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_Electric_Railway

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...98866870959.1073743022.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Slovakia, (Day 5). Thursday 29th March 2018.

An early start across town at Zilina, breakfast on the station and a train out to Spisska Nova Ves, one of my favourite Slovakian depots, and home of the mighty Class 131 twins. There was a number of locos on shed undergoing various repairs and exams, it was a great visit despite spitting rain at times. After returning to the station I caught a train into Kosice and again visited this depot, always a few surprises on Kosice depot with a good workshop and roundhouse to visit also.

Returning to Kosice railway station I next took a train out to Cierna Nad Tisou, on the Ukrain Border, a shared gauge cargo depot, and it still had a number of locos on shed, although the scrap line and Grumpy`s from my last visit had since been removed.

I walked into the railway station at Cierna Nad Tisou Tiszacsernyo, and I later strolled into the village centre for something to eat. I found the only supermarket in the very small town centre, but most of the shelves were empty, However, I did buy a few things for the train journey back into Kosice. I arrived just after dark and took a taxi out to the Hostel Barno were I had booked a single room, it was quite an impressive hostel, more like an hotel and very well priced too and only 15 minutes from the railway station on foot.

It had been a busy day shed bashing and although I`d previously visited all three depots; it was still nice to visit again and catch up on any new locos and changes that had taken place. I slept well that night at the Hostel Barno and would like to thank the wonderful shed foremen and managers who very kindly gave me permission to visit their depots, thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...36653233847.1073743031.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Slovakia, (Day 6). Friday 30th March 2018.

I was essentially concentrating on Slovakia this trip, shed bashing mainly and also travelling on a few new lines, I travelled the length and breadth of the country over an 8 day period using my free Slovakian rail pass, Although I`ve previously visited most of the locomotive depots in the past, Zvolen was new to me with its twin half-round houses traverse and workshops, I was given permission for all my depot visits which included Bratislava Hlavna, Zilina, Nove Zamky, Kosice, Trencianska Tepla, Zvolen, Spisska Nova Ves, Cierna nad Tisou and Leopoldov. How long this situation will last, I`m not sure as I`ve noticed changes in the last few years and feel depot visits may be more restricted in the years to come.

A nice leisurely day riding the trains, an early start, as I wanted a hour or so photting at Kosice, which is without doubt one of my favourite rail centres. My plan was to travel back across the country, but the long way round, via Plesivec, Lenartovce, Jesenske, Lucenec and Zvolen and I was treated to double-headed Class 757 Goggles on this non-electrified route across the Northern Hungarian Border lands.

Although I had travelled this route before with my mate Rob, when we took an overnighter one visit, from Bratislava to Kosice, but we both slept right through it, so it was nice to travel the line in daylight. At Zvolen Osobna Stanica, the Googles were taken off my train and replaced by a Class 240 Goldfish Bowl and I continued towards Surany to change for Nove Zamky as it had been a few years since I`d visited the locomotive depot. The connection however from Surany to Nove Zamky didn’t run and I had an hour and half to wait for another train to take me down the line.

I was allowed around the locomotive depot at Nove Zamky and was surprised to see 3 former Serbian locos on shed, it was an excellent visit however and the first time I`d seen the rebuilt station at Nove Zamky, it was like a building site last time we visited. I`d booked a bit of a posh hotel “the Salur”, at Nove Zamky, which was only a short taxi ride from the station, a few ales in the hotel and a nice chilled out relaxing evening before hitting the sack, it had been a good days line bashing.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...03259783853.1073743035.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Slovakia (Day 7), Saturday 31st March 2018.

I was essentially concentrating on Slovakia this trip, shed bashing mainly and also travelling on a few new lines, I travelled the length and breadth of the country over an 8 day period using my free Slovakian rail pass, Although I`ve previously visited most of the locomotive depots in the past, Zvolen was new to me with its twin half-round houses traverse and workshops, I was given permission for all my depot visits which included Bratislava Hlavna, Zilina, Nove Zamky, Kosice, Trencianska Tepla, Zvolen, Spisska Nova Ves, Cierna nad Tisou and Leopoldov. How long this situation will last, I`m not sure as I`ve noticed changes in the last few years and feel depot visits may be more restricted in the years to come.

I woke up in the hotel at Nove Zamky to a drizzly morning, so ordered a taxi to take me to the railway station, dawn had just broken as I arrived. I caught a Class 240 Goldfish Bowl down the line to Komarno on the Hungarian Border, I wanted to catch a direct service to Bratislava from Komarno but couldn’t find anything in the timetable, but fortunately a Class 928 Regiojet pulled in bound for Bratislava Hlavna Stanica, I didn’t get chance to book a free ticket, but all I was charged extra on the train was one Euro, so you don`t get better value than that and I managed to get a new line in too.
From Bratislava I caught a Kosice train on the main line as far as Trencianska Tepla and was given permission to visit the locomotive depot, my second visit over the last few years, but not much had changed since I was last there. I returned down the main line as far as Leopoldov, the depot was listed as closed but there was plenty of locos around the depot including a line up of shunters for the yards.

Returning to Bratislava Hlavna Stanica, I wanted to visit Bratislava`s southern station on the Hungarian/Austrian Border, Bratislava Petrzalka, although my map showed two lines across Bratislava from Hlavna Stanica to Petrzalka, no passenger service appeared to run between the two, so I caught a bus which took me from one station to the other. Bratislava Petrzalka catered for cross border services and I found both Hungarian and Austrian units operating from Petrzalka, plus a freight changing locos from a Slovakian Class 240 to a Musical OBB Taurus.

I later returned by bus to Bratislava Hlavna Stanica, and spent the rest of the evening on the station platforms before retiring to a private room at the Hyde Park Hotel, in the Old Town. I went out and visited a few local bars for my last night in Slovakia.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...77115983134.1073743042.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Slovakia (Day 8). Sunday 1st April 2018.

I was up and out early at the Hyde Park Hostel and made my way through the City and back to Bratislava Hlavna Stanica and spent most of my last morning on the station platforms, I attempted a the museum visit again, but it was closed for the bank holiday this time, I then had a walk around the station environs and photographed some trolley buses and trams. A final photting session on the railway station and I took a tram ride out to Bratislava Nove Mesto railway station.

It was however soon time to take a tram and a bus to the airport, it seemed like a fast 8 days, but I had covered a lot of track and I had visited all of the loco depots in Slovakia now, but still have many branch lines to complete so I will be back. The flight was direct to Manchester and I was in time to have lunch in the City before the bus ride home, it had been a fantastic week and I can`t thank the Slovakian depot foremen and managers enough for allowing me to visit their places of work, a big thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...53925885453.1073743043.100001125840218&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just had a mammoth catch up of your trip. It looked amazing Shred, love some of places you visited (and some the nicknames like Goggles and Fish Bowls).
Where next then? ;)

shredder1

Established Member
Just had a mammoth catch up of your trip. It looked amazing Shred, love some of places you visited (and some the nicknames like Goggles and Fish Bowls).
Where next then? ;)

Haha, many thanks for reading, I fly into Budapest on the 20th of this month for a week, I`ll be just concentrating in Hungary this time

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 1). Sunday 20th May 2018.

I was essentially exploring the main lines and depots in Hungary for nine days and also wanted to spend sometime in Budapest, a city I`ve visited a few times in the last few years, but only for short periods. The local transport network, Suburban Railways, Trams, Buses, Underground and a rack railway are free for EU members over 65 years of age, so that was certainly a bonus. For my trips to different parts of the country I purchased a Hungarian 4 day Interrail ticket, which worked out at about £75.

I had an 08.30 flight from Manchester Airport on Sunday morning, Ryanair and with the time difference arrived just after lunch into Budapest. The Airport bus was caught into the City with Budapest Keleti pályaudvar being my first stop, it was good to be back.

The weather was glorious for most of the week, with only one day part raining, but it soon passed. I spent this first day around the three main railway stations, Keleti, Nyugati and Deli pu and also the main freight artery at Kelenfold and after a good days snapping I eventually made my way to the accommodation for the night, (the Walking Bed), a private apartment and one of those places that you have to register in another building, I was basically nearly two hours trying to get in the place and working out where the registration building was, but I eventually got settled in and it was fine and the end of a good first day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...56915308487.1073743064.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 2). Monday 21st May 2018.

I was essentially exploring the main lines and depots in Hungary for nine days and also wanted to spend some time in Budapest, a city I`ve visited a few times in the last few years, but only for short periods. The local transport network, Suburban Railways (HEV), Trams, Buses, Underground and a Cog Railway are free for EU members over 65 years of age, so that was certainly a bonus. For my trips to different parts of the country I purchased a Hungarian 4-day Interrail ticket, which worked out at about £75.

My first full day to explore the magnificent City of Budapest, I was up early and out on the trams and underground down to Batthyany Ter for my first experience of the HEV lines, (HEV Suburban Railways). I took the train to Szentendre the end of the line which had a depot and also a small railway museum, but the museum was closed when I arrived.

Returning to Batthyany Ter, and then Deli pu my next move was to take a number of trams to get me out to the Cog Railway, (Fogaskerekű). It operates from Városmajor Park up to Széchenyi Hill and after a ride up this very steep hill, I arrived at the Children’s Railway (Gyermekvasút), at Szechenyi Hegy.

The Children’s railway was quite active and I was treated to double headed locos for the trip across the hills to Huvosvolgy, a very pleasant journey indeed, which took me to the tram head. I then returned to Deli, then Keleti and later Nyugati to complete the days photography, before taking an excellent Arabic meal in a Turkish restaurant, (don`t know what it was but it was lovely), and a few ice-cold beers and then retiring to the Walking Bed Hostel for a second night, shower and bed, it had been a great day

The HEV Railway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BHÉV

The Cog Railway,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Cog-wheel_Railway

The Children’s Railway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyermekvasút

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...65218580990.1073743065.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 3). Tuesday 22nd May 2018.

I was essentially exploring the main lines and depots in Hungary for nine days and also wanted to spend some time in Budapest, a city I`ve visited a few times in the last few years, but only for short periods. The local transport network, Suburban Railways (HEV), Trams, Buses, Underground and a Cog Railway are free for EU members over 65 years of age, so that was certainly a bonus. For my trips to different parts of the country I purchased a Hungarian 4-day Interrail ticket, which worked out at about £75.

I was up early and out of Walking Bed Hostel and caught a tram out to Kelenfold to see what was on the station, I then took two other trams journeys to get me to Ferencvaros and the locomotive depot, this was my second visit to this large depot. I walked down the steps from the footbridge and was confronted by a new security barrier with 3 armed police and a security guard inside, no chance I though. I showed them by begging letter asking to see the manager and amazingly the manager came out to see me and gave me permission to go around the depot, (thank you very much Sir).

Returning to the tram network, I next headed for the Underground to take me out to another Suburban HEV line at Ors Vezer Tere, from where I took the railway to the end of the line at Csomor, returning to the junction and main depot at Cinkota and finally taking the other line up to Godollo Vegallomas and later returning to Ors Vezer Tere.

My next move was another Surburban HEV line from Boraros Ter to Csepel and eventually returning to Budapest Keleti pályaudvar for the evening to finish off the day.

I was later off to a restaurant on the Buda side of the River and retired to the Buda Angel`s Suite guest house, a lovely accommodation with equally nice hosts, who even took the trouble to show me round the local facilities and at £19 for the night it was a winner, I slept well.

The HEV Railway

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...60131814832.1073743068.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 4). Wednesday 23rd May 2018

I was up very early on the Wednesday morning at the Buda Angel`s Suite and took trams out to Nyugati railway station to catch an 05.11 to the Ukraine border at Zahony, it was the first day of my 4-day Interrail ticket for Hungary and I aimed to set out in a number of directions to cover large chunks of the country over the next few days, mainly aiming for rail centres with locomotive depots. Three such centres where on the way to Zahony, with the latter also having its own depot. We passed through all three on the journey up to Zahony, these were Szolnok, Debrecen and Nyregyhaza.

It took over 3 hours to get up to Zahony from Budapest, the locomotive depot was only a 5-minute walk from the railway station, not a particularly large depot, but access was difficult without going through the official road, I presented my Hungarian note to the depot foreman, but he was having none of it, so I got what photographs I could from a public area, but I was essentially shooting into the sun. After a late breakfast in the station café at Zahony, I caught the next train back down the line to Nyregyhaza, which fortunately had a line of 9 locomotives parked at one end of the station and three large shunters parked at the other end. I walked down to the locomotive depot and presented my note to staff, a few of the guys phoned around and spoke to the manager, but he advised them not to let me around the depot, so I just took what photographs I could on the way in and out.

I returned to Nyregyhaza railway station and next caught a train to Debrecen. I walked out to Debrecen locomotive depot through the freight yard, presented my note to a chap in a cabin at the head of the depot and he amazingly flagged down a DMU returning to the shed to take me down. I was then taken to the manager, he was nice enough, but told me he would be unable to take me around without a permit, so I made my way back to the station and managed a few photographs of the depot from the passing train.

My next train took me down to Szolnok, I`d decided to book an hotel for the night there and attempt the depot in the morning. The station was busy though so after an hour or so photting around the station I walked out to the hotel in the town centre, the Pelikan, probably the best one I stayed in during the trip. It had been another 16-hour day and after a few beers and a shower I was soon in a very comfortable bed and out for the count.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...95535054625.1073743073.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 5). Thursday 24th May 2018.

After a restful night in the Pelikan Hotel, I was up and on shed at Szolnok for 06.00 and ghosted it without issue. Returning to the railway station I originally tried to find a train going down to Szeged, but couldn’t find one, all timetables in Hungary are now on line, I still prefer a hard copy for planning. I instead chose to take a train up to Hatvan and ghosted the depot there too. Two steam locos on shed undergoing renovation which was a bonus.

I left Hatvan catching a train back into Budapest Keleti and changing trains for a direct service west to Szombathely. I ghosted the depot at Szombathely, quite a few locos on shed and I later returned to Budapest Deli and a hostel in the West End for the night.

I stayed in the Absolut City Hostel, located very centrally, but very nosy, even for me, but it had been a good day for shed bashing.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...45868172925.1073743083.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 6). Friday 25th May 2018.

I`d stayed at the Stars and Lights, west end Budapest, who had advertised an apartment through Booking.com at the equivalent of EU31, in the small print however they had added another EU 10 for cleaning, basically a rip off, so I`d had a steaming row with them once I realised what they were pulling, needless to say my feedback will have cost them more than the EU10 they ripped me off.

However, another early start to catch a tram to Deli and then on to Kelenfold for a train west again to Gyor, as I wanted to return to visit the depot. The weather had changed dramatically and a thunder storm brought heavy rain. In fact, after having been given permission to go around the depot by the shed foreman, the heavens opened up and I had to change rapidly into by weatherproof gear. Rain is fine but its important to keep it off the lens, I always use a waterproof cover for the camera to keep any droplets off the lens.

The depot visit at Gyor was good however and I next caught a Flirt through to Sopron on the Austrian border. Sopron has a small depot and carriage sheds; the locomotive depot is located at the side of the railway station and you can see just about everything inside. A lot of action was taking place in the shed yard which offered some good photographic opportunities.

After a few hours at Sopron, I caught an Intercity express back to Kelenfold and changed for a service to Szekesfehervar to see that depot. Szekesfehervar Locomotive Depot is quite large and has very tight security, the main roundhouse can be seen from the station platforms, but I suspect many locomotives are also in the yards to the rear, a busy rail centre though and well worth a few hours visit.

I returned to Budapest Kelenfold and later took the tram back into the Bude Angel`s Suite for a second night, the manager even gave me a discount for with them booking again and it was a great place, I slept well that night with a few more depots in the bag.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...40904760088.1073743088.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 7). Saturday 26th May 2018.

An early start again from the Buda Angel`s Suite and a tram directly to Kelenfold, it was the last day of my Hungarian Interrail pass and I wanted to get down to Pecs in the south of the country. The problem was the line was closed from Kelenfold to Szazhalombatta, for upgrading and it was apparently a long job of 12 months or more, so it was a bus substitute service to the latter and then a train down to Pecs. First however I had to make a reservation on the train, as it was an intercity service, but worst of all no one wanted to tell me where or when the bus was in the information office, I had a choice of about 20 buses.

After my 3rd visit to the ticket office and speaking to 3 different people who looked at me like I was stupid, eventually I was told that the bus left at 07.30 and what colour the bus was, eventually I even found out what number it was and which actual bus stop it was going from. Twenty minutes before the bus was due to leave, the bus stop was empty, which was worrying, so I went and bought something for breakfast, on returning ten minutes later the bus was in and full up, I pushed my way to the front of the queue and got the last seat phew! And it left 5 minutes before it should have.

Everything else went to plan, the Intercity train for Pecs was waiting in the platforms at Szazhalombatta and we were soon away on a very pleasant train ride. Pecs wasn’t as big as I had imagined, or maybe the city was some way from the railway station, a nice location though. The locomotive depot had easy access and I ghosted it without issue, and later bought some lunch on the station, before catching a local service back up the line to Dombovar, the largest depot in the region. I first identified a compound full of what looked like withdrawn locos, the gates were unlocked and no one was around to ask so I ghosted it.

My next move was to walk down to the locomotive depot, a security post was at the entrance, so I took my begging Hungarian letter and presented myself. The security chap phoned the depot manager and he in turn walked up to the security office to greet me and actually gave me a full shed tour, I was amazed and what a lovely chap, he couldn’t speak a word of English, but knew our interest all too well and I`m sure he appreciated the interest I had in his depot.

Returning to the railway station, it was a blazing hot day, so a couple of ice cold local ales helped chill me out. I had around an hour to wait for an intercity train to take me back up to Szazhalombatta and a few coaches were waiting to take us back to Kelenfold once we arrived. From Kelenfold I took a tram back into the city and stayed in the Absolut Hostel, cheap yet quite nice, but located over a very noisy all-night street café/bar in the City centre, but I did manage some sleep, and it had been a very satisfying day and I`d certainly made good use of the Hungarian 4-day Interrail pass. I now had two more days just to concentrate on the City again, always so much to see in Budapest.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...17851369060.1073743092.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 8). Sunday 27th May 2018.

A slightly leisurely start from the Absolut Hostel at Deák Ferenc, a central area for the city, I was heading for Kozvagohid the last of my HEV lines, which ran down to Rackeve. It was nice to complete these lines as they will be upgraded shortly and changing over to operations by MAV. I managed a few photographs through the fencings at Rackeve car sheds and then treated myself to a pizza and a cold beer for lunch in a café opposite the station.

Returning to the city, I`d noticed some Class 86 Floyd locos parked in a yard just south of Kozvagohid, Soroksari ut, so I got off the HEV network and walked back to the yard for a visit. I later caught a bus and tram back into the City.

I next took a tram back to Keleti railway station and spent some time there, before going out to Kelenfold. It was a lovely afternoon and I bought a small cheap seat from one of the stores and just sat in the sunshine at the side of the line at Kelenfold and photted the freight passing through, I hid the chair in some bushes as I intended returning the following day.

I later went to Budapest Nyugati as I had an hostel booked, which was just around the corner, the Multi Pass, I had the entire dormer to myself, and at £7 it was great. I dropped my stuff off at the hostel, took some tea in a local café and returned to Nyugati for a few evening photographs, it had been another great day.

The HEV Suburban Railway, Budapest

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...80397939472.1073743095.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Hungary, (Day 9). Monday 28th May 2018.

The last full day and I hadn’t booked accommodation for Monday night and instead decided to sleep in the Airport as I had an early flight back to the UK. I left the Multiphases Hostel at around 07.00 and took breakfast around the corner at Nyugati railway station and also indulged in some more photography, such amazing railway stations in Budapest.

My next move was the Metro to Budapest Deli and then Kelenfold. I retrieved my chair from the bushes where I`d left it the day before and spent quite a few hours trackside just photting the passing freight, with a short break back to Budapest Keleti and then finishing the trip off at Kelenfold until the light faded by the end of the day.

I made my way to the airport taking the underground to Kobanya Kispest and then the airport bus, all free. Everything closes at Budapest Airport at 22.00, so it was a matter of buying some food to keep me going through the night, my bed was a steel bench that you could only sit up on, I did actually sleep and also slept on the plane on the way back to Manchester, arriving back in the UK for 08.00 am with the time adjustment, it had been a fantastic trip, enjoyed every minute of it and a really big thank you to all the Hungarian railwaymen who allowed me to visit their depots. The Hungarians are lovely people and Budapest has to be my favourite European City.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...39551206890.1073743100.100001125840218&type=3

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Yes I`m sure they will, do ask though, lovely people and an amazing depot, enjoy.

I'm not sure if I've been catching the wrong people but so far my general experience with Czech rail staff is that they're rather cold. Most ticket checks involve an overly long suspicious look at my Interrail followed by it silently being handed back without any eye contact.

Interesting network though.

shredder1

Established Member
I'm not sure if I've been catching the wrong people but so far my general experience with Czech rail staff is that they're rather cold. Most ticket checks involve an overly long suspicious look at my Interrail followed by it silently being handed back without any eye contact.

Interesting network though.

I`m sorry to hear that, I`ve been about 6 or 7 times now and visited every depot and covered most of the country, never had any issues.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I`m sorry to hear that, I`ve been about 6 or 7 times now and visited every depot and covered most of the country, never had any issues.

After I said that I had a flurry of friendly, younger staff later that day! And a Czech conductor on the Praha-Zilina express who shut up the Slovakian catering bloke who was intent I wasn't sitting in first. Now I also realise most of those overly long ticket checks were the conductor reading through my travel diary probably amused at seeing 'Næstved' and 'København and the like written down.

I am however yet to have a Slovakian conductor even crack a smile! I'm visiting a few small lines today so we shall see what occurs. Again though, I see why you like these countries, plenty interesting haulage and particularly in Slovakia, some nice scenery to boot.

shredder1

Established Member
After I said that I had a flurry of friendly, younger staff later that day! And a Czech conductor on the Praha-Zilina express who shut up the Slovakian catering bloke who was intent I wasn't sitting in first. Now I also realise most of those overly long ticket checks were the conductor reading through my travel diary probably amused at seeing 'Næstved' and 'København and the like written down.

I am however yet to have a Slovakian conductor even crack a smile! I'm visiting a few small lines today so we shall see what occurs. Again though, I see why you like these countries, plenty interesting haulage and particularly in Slovakia, some nice scenery to boot.

Enjoy your tour, Slovakia is also an amazing country.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another great trip there Shred.
I’m very behind on trip reports at the moment but that looked great.

shredder1

Established Member
The Baltic Countries, Latvia. (Day 1). Sunday 15th July 2018.

A week travelling around the Baltic Countries by rail, Latvia, Estonia and Finland, three countries that I hadn’t visited before.

My flight left Manchester Saturday evening 14th July 2018 and I didn’t arrive in Riga until 23.00 Latvia time. The buses to Riga Airport apparently stop operating at 22.00 so it was a taxi out to the accommodation, the Black Flamingo Hostel and it cost me £20 English pounds to get out there, so I probably got overcharged. The hostel however was very modern and cosy, with a lovely host, but a few tram stops from the railway station.

I walked into the railway station from the Black Flamingo on the first morning, I was up early and caught the first train out towards the Russian border, East, alighting at Krustpils as I thought it might have had a loco depot, I couldn’t find one though, but it did have a busy yard, so I passed an hour there, before catching another train farther East to Rezekne 2, which had a PW depot and again a busy yard, but no sign of a loco depot, but I had covered a fair bit of track mileage, so it was well worth the effort.

I returned to Riga directly on an old Russian built diesel multiple unit, and on returning into the City, I caught the number 15 trolley bus out to Skiratava and then walked along the road back to Daugmale to view the depot from the footbridge, a very useful vantage point and I was so glad I`d taken the 300 mm telephoto lens to be able to pick locos out. I walk down to the depot offices with a note I`d written in Latvian, to see if I could get permission to go around the depot, but the only person I could find was a woman, who appeared to read me the riot act out in Latvian and kept doing sweeping downward arm movements and saying ne, ne, ne, ne, ne, once she`d finished having her fit, I said “so that’s a no then !”

So, I was back on the bridge, but not a bad spot to be honest and I did intend returning at some point over the week to try again.
I next returned to Riga Central railway station by the number 15 trolley bus, took my last few photographs of the day and then retired for a meal at a local restaurant, before taking a tram back to the Black Flamingo, it had been a long first day, but a very satisfying one.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...18731285638.1073743130.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
The Baltic Countries, Latvia and Estonia. (Day 2). Monday 21st July 2018.

A week travelling around the Baltic Countries by rail, Latvia, Estonia and Finland, three countries that I hadn’t visited before.

I was up showered and out of the Black Flamingo by 07.00 and caught a tram to Riga Central station. I was heading for Estonia, but it wasn’t as easy a journey as it could have been, with no direct services between countries a change of train was required at the border station at Valga, the first train to leave Riga for Valga wasn’t until 10.40 arriving at Valga by 14.30, for whatever reason it doesn’t connect and the next train to Tallinn is a 3.5 hour wait away, arriving into Tallinn, Estonia by 21.30, so it’s a full days travel to go by train from Riga to Tallinn, two countries next door to each other and both EU members and Euro users.

My three and a half hours wait in Valga passed quickly though, with 5 former USA C36-7ai, ex Missouri Pacific, Union Pacific and Conrail machines regauged, were parked up and waiting to be photographed, a small supermarket was available 5 minutes away, a steam loco on a plinth and a café that sold horrible beer that tasted very heavily malty and I had a struggle to get a few pints down me.

The train to Tallinn eventually arrived, a modern Flirt diesel multiple unit, but the air conditioning and comfort were much welcomed after spending hours in the old Latvian DMU from Riga. I arrived into the Estonian Capital of Tallinn just before the last of the evening sun disappeared. Tallinn is now a very modern station hosted mainly by Flirts these days both EMU and DMU varieties, although I was treated to Switcher, a ChME3T EDLR, Edelaraudtee which is used for shunting Russian stock around the platforms and was parked conveniently in the sidings.

It was a 10 minutes’ walk out to my hostel for the night, which was located in the old walled city, a lovely location set in narrow streets with lots of bars and eating establishments. It had been a day of travel, but I was now in the second country of the trip, Estonia, a bite to eat in a local café, a few Estonian crafted ales and back to the hostel, I slept well that night.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...37921273719.1073743131.100001125840218&type=3

Status
Not open for further replies.