• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred's Europe and Asia trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds like a great trip so far.

Indeed the snow was quite something when I paid a brief visit in January from Nürnberg to Linz via Cheb and Plzeň.

It's a country I've grown to really love. Will be having my first dedicated visit next month.

Very nice and thank you very much, sadly the depot at Cheb only has a couple of shunters on these days, Plzens still busy though and Linz is amazing for freight, have a great trip mate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 2). Monday 4th February 2019.

The first European trip of 2019. I had a two-day NFP Rail tour starting from Prague mainly around the south west of the country and crossing the German border at Železná Ruda Alžbĕtín. I then decided to do a trip around most of the major Austrian rail centres crossing the full length of the country crossing the Italian border at the top of the Brenner Pass, and returning to the Czech Republic and Prague for my flight back to the UK.

Rail Tour Route: Day 1, Sunday 03.02.19: Praha hln – Praha Smíchov (pick up) – Rudná u Prahy – Beroun – Ejpovice – Stupno (reverse) – Radnice (reverse) – Stupno (reverse) – Ejpovice (reverse) – Plzeň hln –Staňkov – Pobĕžovice (reverse) – Domažlice – Janovice nad Úhlavou – Klatovy. (296kms).

Rail Tour Route: Day 2, Monday 04.02.19: Klatovy – Železná Ruda Alžbĕtín (reverse) – Klatovy (pick up) – Horažďovice předmĕstí – Strakonice – Ražice – Písek – Milevsko – Tábor – Horní Cerekev – Jihlava – Havlíčkův Brod – Kolín – Praha hln (terminate). (521 kms).

An early rise from the hotel Wellness Central, I didn’t get chance to use the gym, sauna or Jacuzzi and they were all included in the price too, it’s a hard life. I decided to walk back to the railway station in the thick icy snow, which was a big mistake because I got lost and finished up walking twice as far, the satnav on my phone is clueless, but I made it eventually, grabbed a few sandwiches from the station café and we were all on the train and away on time.

The first stop was at Spicak which had some huge snow drifts, we were then upto the German border at Zelez Ruda Alzbetin, the old border post with half the station in Czech and the other half in Germany, the snow drifts there were as high as me.

We next passed through Horazdovice Predmesti where I was lucky to get a few photographs of the lovely quarter roundhouse from the train, complete with another Grumpy near the turntable.

The next photostop was Pisek meto and then another one at Horni Cerekev, the last one of the day, before returning to Prague via Jihiavy, so a few more new lines for me.

On retuning to Prague and saying goodbyes to everyone, it had been a great tour. I headed for the underground to start chipping away at that network and completed the Red Line before returning to my accommodation for the night, the Safestay. I was now going it alone for the next week and heading for Austria the next morning, Grüss dich.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2078015975579244&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like quite an interesting adventure so far fair game, I've not yet looked at the photos though as I've not been on Facebook for days. Apart from quickly popping in to check on the Memories thing, I'm normally found on Twitter although even that I was off for almost the entire day yesterday!

Got to say I felt sorry for that poor reception lass there, a 'what the ****?!' kind of moment I'd imagine with so many arriving at once!

The Safestay brand is not one I've come across yet, but on your recommendation I'm going to have a look ready for some more Euro adventures of my own soon. I do recommend, if you've ever a need to go to Copenhagen, Urban House Copenhagen. Really nice and modern hostel, I paid than £20 for my night there and that was fairly late notice too.

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds like quite an interesting adventure so far fair game, I've not yet looked at the photos though as I've not been on Facebook for days. Apart from quickly popping in to check on the Memories thing, I'm normally found on Twitter although even that I was off for almost the entire day yesterday!

Got to say I felt sorry for that poor reception lass there, a 'what the ****?!' kind of moment I'd imagine with so many arriving at once!

The Safestay brand is not one I've come across yet, but on your recommendation I'm going to have a look ready for some more Euro adventures of my own soon. I do recommend, if you've ever a need to go to Copenhagen, Urban House Copenhagen. Really nice and modern hostel, I paid than £20 for my night there and that was fairly late notice too.

Thanks very much Tech, yes that's not a bad price for Copenhagen, we stayed at one next to the station for about that price. I`ve just booked Prague Staysafe again for 5 nights in July then I`m off to Poland for the week.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 3). Tuesday 5th February 2019.

The first European trip of 2019. I had a two-day NFP Rail tour starting from Prague mainly around the south west of the country and crossing the German border at Železná Ruda Alžbĕtín. I then decided to do a trip around most of the major Austrian rail centres crossing the full length of the country crossing the Italian border at the top of the Brenner Pass, and returning to the Czech Republic and Prague for my flight back to the UK.
Rail tour Route: Day 1, Sunday 03.02.19: Praha hln – Praha Smíchov (pick up) – Rudná u Prahy – Beroun – Ejpovice – Stupno (reverse) – Radnice (reverse) – Stupno (reverse) – Ejpovice (reverse) – Plzeň hln –Staňkov – Pobĕžovice (reverse) – Domažlice – Janovice nad Úhlavou – Klatovy. (296kms).

Rail tour Route: Day 2, Monday 04.02.19: Klatovy – Železná Ruda Alžbĕtín (reverse) – Klatovy (pick up) – Horažďovice předmĕstí – Strakonice – Ražice – Písek – Milevsko – Tábor – Horní Cerekev – Jihlava – Havlíčkův Brod – Kolín – Praha hln (terminate). (521 kms).

I was actually up at 03.30 at the Safestay in Prague and caught an all-night tram into the Prague Hl n railway station as I wanted to catch an early train into Breclav, I really can`t pass through Breclav without a visit to the depot, plus it was cheaper to book to Breclav and rebook into Austria Vienna, than booking direct from Prague. I had a great visit to the depot, the Czechs must be amongst the nicest people on the planet, they always give you permission to visit depots and are so friendly with it.

I returned to Breclav station and booked a train across the border into Vienna, boarding a Polish service, which got me into the City just before lunch time. I love Vienna, always so much to see and do and it had been a few years since I last visited this historic city. After an hour or so on Hauptbahnhof I took a number 18 tram to Westbahnhof and then took a train out to Wien Hutteldorf before finding my hostel for the night, which was the Wombat just around the corner from Westbahnhof railway station, so very handy.

After checking in I followed the streets and over bridge around West Depot, before returning on the number 18 tram to Hauptbahnhof railway station and taking a train out to Baden, returning to Wien Meilding and back to Wien Hauptbahnhof for some evening photographs and I was rewarded with a cavalcade of 6 assorted locomotive that stopped briefly for photographs.

I later returned to Westbahnhof and then back to the Wombat for an excellent night’s sleep, it had been a very long day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2080875861959922&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 4). Wednesday 6th February 2019.

Rail tour Route: Day 1, Sunday 03.02.19: Praha hln – Praha Smíchov (pick up) – Rudná u Prahy – Beroun – Ejpovice – Stupno (reverse) – Radnice (reverse) – Stupno (reverse) – Ejpovice (reverse) – Plzeň hln –Staňkov – Pobĕžovice (reverse) – Domažlice – Janovice nad Úhlavou – Klatovy. (296kms).

Rail tour Route: Day 2, Monday 04.02.19: Klatovy – Železná Ruda Alžbĕtín (reverse) – Klatovy (pick up) – Horažďovice předmĕstí – Strakonice – Ražice – Písek – Milevsko – Tábor – Horní Cerekev – Jihlava – Havlíčkův Brod – Kolín – Praha hln (terminate). (521 kms).

I was a less rushed day, leaving the Wombat at around 06.00 and catching the number 18 tram into Wien Hauptbahnhof and boarding a German ICE to St Poltens. It was a bit of a murky morning when I arrived and you could see the depot in the distance which didn’t look particular busy. The station was quite busy though with a number of freight passing through.

I spent about an hour at St Poltens before catching a train to my final destination of the day, Linz. Linz Hbf is a very busy railway station with freight constantly passing through, visible from the station platforms are the works and depot, with plenty of locos around the traverse and lots of movements. You could spend a good few days on the station alone and since I had 24 hours in Linz, I spent a few of them on the platforms.
Linz also has 4 tram lines, new trams mainly but some interesting subterranean lines beneath some of the streets. I travelled on all 4 tram routes. One route took me to Linz Urfahr, the suburban railway, (Mühlkreis railway line).

http://www.fcp.at/en/projects/suburban-railway-line-linz-main-railway-station-urfahr

I returned to Linz Hbf for a few late afternoon photographs before retiring to my accommodation for the evening, the hotel was great and only a tram ride out from the main station. I chilled out with a few beers in the bar before retiring to my room for an early night.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2083385295042312&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite some intensively long days there, with a lot of variety.

I never did get around to trying an ICE before I binned the rail hobby, but that's not to say I won't eventually do one. More likely I'll find myself on a Polish Pendolino first though, and yes that is a HUGE hint as to one of my plans for Q2 2019...

shredder1

Established Member
Quite some intensively long days there, with a lot of variety.

I never did get around to trying an ICE before I binned the rail hobby, but that's not to say I won't eventually do one. More likely I'll find myself on a Polish Pendolino first though, and yes that is a HUGE hint as to one of my plans for Q2 2019...

I`m in Poland for a week in july after a Czech Railtour, Ukraine in May first though. I do like the ICE units been all over Germany in them, very effiecient really

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 5). Thursday 7th February 2019.

Another early start from my Hotel Garni Wilder Mann at Linz, a tram took me into the main railway station and I caught the first train out to Salzburg. Salzburg locomotive depot is at the side of the railway station and you can see most of locos on the way in from the east, it’s a fairly busy station with some freight passing on the through lines. My day was largely spent rail travelling however and after an hour or so at Salzburg, I caught a train through to the Liechtenstein border at Bregenz, one of the most westerly outposts of Austria. I would have liked to cross the border and visit the capital at Vaduz, but time didn’t allow on this visit.

I later returned to Innsbruck for the night and had booked the Jugendherberge Youth hostel, which was out of town, but the tram route dropped me at the door and they also ran all night. The hostel was quite modern although the rooms small, but well priced for Innsbruck and I slept well.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2084208228293352&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I`m in Poland for a week in july after a Czech Railtour, Ukraine in May first though. I do like the ICE units been all over Germany in them, very effiecient really

Ukraine's not a country I know much about whatsoever, but it will be visited one day. Apparently the airport is a fair way out from the city centre, according to a trip report video I just watched from Inflight Video.

Google Maps tells me Berlin to Warsaw is served by EC trains, which I really am not familiar with. Lodz looks good, and I've heard good things of Poznan too. Trying to choose where to visit in Poland is proving a bit challenging, I think I'll leave the choice to whichever destination has the cheapest flight prices at the time of booking!

Lichtenstein, which you mention in your trip report, is one place I'd like to try and get to eventually as well.

shredder1

Established Member
Ukraine's not a country I know much about whatsoever, but it will be visited one day. Apparently the airport is a fair way out from the city centre, according to a trip report video I just watched from Inflight Video.

Google Maps tells me Berlin to Warsaw is served by EC trains, which I really am not familiar with. Lodz looks good, and I've heard good things of Poznan too. Trying to choose where to visit in Poland is proving a bit challenging, I think I'll leave the choice to whichever destination has the cheapest flight prices at the time of booking!

Lichtenstein, which you mention in your trip report, is one place I'd like to try and get to eventually as well.

I`ve only crossed into the Ukraine once into Chop from Slovakia, it has a decent sized depot at Chop and you can view a lot of it from a bridge that runs over the yard, the Ukraine is a big country with slow trains, while in Kiev I`d like to try to get to Odesa, but it might be an overnight job there and back, I`m still working on my itinarary. I`ve done most of Poland, Poznan is amazing and of course you have the steam running again the TY02 etc from Wolsztyn and Lesno, both amazing places to visit. I`ve visited most of the major cities, Warsaw, Krakow, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Malbork, Elk, Balistok, Osten, Rybnik, Kattowice, Reszepin, and some I cant pronounce, I`ve also done most of the major depots, many which have had some huge scrap lines, all amazing places.

On an Interrail, you will be able to do a few night services across the country to get you into different areas, the trains are slow and will allow you a good nights sleep/

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
My only words of advice for Poland are that the local Polregio trains often attract some odd folk.

The train from Szcezcin to Kosztryn saw me presented with four drunkards, one of whom proceeded to yank my headphones from my neck and threatened to knife me if he couldn't keep them. At 9 in the morning. Another one had his eye on my phone but that was kept firmly out of reach.

I promptly crossed the border back to Germany and haven't felt compelled to return since :lol:

That said, I'm sure in busier, bigger cities things are a lot less dodgy as that train was empty and lacked a staff presence for much of its journey. One day I would like to see the likes of Wroclaw and Warsaw.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
My only words of advice for Poland are that the local Polregio trains often attract some odd folk.

The train from Szcezcin to Kosztryn saw me presented with four drunkards, one of whom proceeded to yank my headphones from my neck and threatened to knife me if he couldn't keep them. At 9 in the morning. Another one had his eye on my phone but that was kept firmly out of reach.

I promptly crossed the border back to Germany and haven't felt compelled to return since :lol:

That said, I'm sure in busier, bigger cities things are a lot less dodgy as that train was empty and lacked a staff presence for much of its journey. One day I would like to see the likes of Wroclaw and Warsaw.

THanks for the advice, I`m widely travelled in Poland and fortunately had no issues, sorry to hear about your problems though, that sounds aweful. I`ll be doing Szcezcin on my visit.

cactustwirly

Established Member

EC stands for EuroCity, which is an intercity train that crosses an international border.
The Berlin - Warsaw express is jointly operated by DB and PKP and uses similar coaches to the domestic DB intercity services.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
EC stands for EuroCity, which is an intercity train that crosses an international border.
The Berlin - Warsaw express is jointly operated by DB and PKP and uses similar coaches to the domestic DB intercity services.

Oh of course, I'd forgotten EuroCity. The amount of times I used to see it listed in a Thomas Cook timetable years back, while planning a major rail adventure around Europe, you'd think I'd have remembered!

rg177, ouch! That sounds well nasty!

Shred, thanks for the advice. I keep planning these adventures, but at the moment a lot of them are back on hold while I finish weighing up pros and cons for some much more important big changes later this year!

shredder1

Established Member
Oh of course, I'd forgotten EuroCity. The amount of times I used to see it listed in a Thomas Cook timetable years back, while planning a major rail adventure around Europe, you'd think I'd have remembered!

rg177, ouch! That sounds well nasty!

Shred, thanks for the advice. I keep planning these adventures, but at the moment a lot of them are back on hold while I finish weighing up pros and cons for some much more important big changes later this year!

Good luck with the changes mate. I started chipping away at the tram routes in Prague the other week, I remember you saying you did a lot of them, did you do them all Tech?

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 6). Friday 8th February 2019.

I caught the 05.30 tram from the Jugendherberge hostel, only one other lad in the dorm, I slept well but I`m not sure he did with my snoring. I boarded an early morning train out of Innsbruck to take me up the Brenner Pass and arrived just as dawn was breaking. This part of the world had been hit badly with the snow even by their standards, fortunately it was the week before I got down there, so I had no problems getting through with the snow. Brenner is an amazing place from freight crossing the alps from Austria to Italy, it was so busy in the few hours I spent there, I must return for a full day at some point.

I returned to Innsbruck and walked out of the station and across the large road bridge trying to take a few photographs of the depot, access to depots in Austria appears to be a little difficult, but I did manage to take a few photographs from public areas using a 300 mm zoom lens. Returning to Innsbruck Hbf railway station, I caught a train down to the junction station at Bischofshofen for the Graz train from Zurich, which was double headed behind two OBB Taurus locomotives. The line to Graz however is not direct and the train runs into Selthal and changes locos to leave by the same way it arrives, although a passing loop is apparently being built. The small roundhouse is at the side of Selthal station and it help around half a dozen locos, plus a plinthed steam loco on the platform.

I arrived into Graz Hbf just after dark, quite an amazing new age designed station, a bit like an alien set in the after darkness. The locomotive depot is just off the ends of the platforms and very active with locos coming and going regularly, after an hour or so on the station I retired to my hostel for the night, which was the A&O just on the other side of the railway lines, a five minute walk, not a bad hostel and I had a few beers with a Croatian and an Austria lad who were sharing the dorm, great company.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2085645218149653&type=3

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good luck with the changes mate. I started chipping away at the tram routes in Prague the other week, I remember you saying you did a lot of them, did you do them all Tech?

Thanks. I didn't get even close to doing them all. Bits of most routes definitely, and a few lines got cleared fully. Funnily enough I've been going through my trip report from Prague, as part of an on-going mission, this week and I'm surprised just how much I actually did on both Metro and trams!

shredder1

Established Member
Thanks. I didn't get even close to doing them all. Bits of most routes definitely, and a few lines got cleared fully. Funnily enough I've been going through my trip report from Prague, as part of an on-going mission, this week and I'm surprised just how much I actually did on both Metro and trams!

I`ve done all three underground lines, but only 3 tram lines, I usually concentraite on the railways, but I`ll spend some time trying to do all the tram lines, 22 route lines.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I`ve done all three underground lines, but only 3 tram lines, I usually concentraite on the railways, but I`ll spend some time trying to do all the tram lines, 22 route lines.

Yeah I did all the Metro lines too, not terribly difficult after all! One day the extension to the airport may be done, I believe it was still under consultation in 2017.

Doing all the tram lines in their entirety would take quite some time!

shredder1

Established Member
Yeah I did all the Metro lines too, not terribly difficult after all! One day the extension to the airport may be done, I believe it was still under consultation in 2017.

Doing all the tram lines in their entirety would take quite some time!

Yes the airport lines an interesting one and much needed, especially since the AE Bus stops running at 22.00.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 7). Saturday 9th February 2019.

I woke up at the a&o hostel in Graz at 06.30, something was wrong, my alarm was set for 05.30, but the alarm didn’t go off, why, because the phone was missing, it had been stolen in the night and I think I probably saw the thief, who would have had to lean over my bed to reach my phone. He must have disturbed me in the early hours, but I only saw him going away. The thief had also taken a few other items from people in the hostel and on reporting him to reception, they told me someone had left our dormer at 03.30 in the morning, so his details were given to the police and I left my details with reception, but haven’t heard anything back so far.

I was however determined not to let the incident spoil my holiday, I had hard copies of my boarding pass and details of my next two nights accommodation, it could have been a lot worst, but fortunately I lock everything away when staying in hostels, apart from the phone which I use as an alarm, strangely I usually keep it under my pillow, but failed to do so on this occasion, lesson learned.

I was however back onto Graz Hbf as dawn was breaking and had a few hours photographing the depot and station movements and also went outside to photograph the trams in the undercroft. I caught a Zurich train back as far as Selthal and changed here for a direct service to Linz, arriving back into Linz late afternoon and again taking the opportunity to photograph some more passing freight.

My next train was a CD Czech class 380 which took me back into the Czech Republic, I was going as far as Ceske Budejovice, a town I`d visited before, and one which had a large locomotive depot. I was staying in the town with a lovely private room above a pub booked at the Cuba Bar and Hostel, just a short walk from the station. I arrived in the town just after dark. It had been a day of rail travelling again and I had covered quite a few miles around Austria, I now felt like I was back on home ground in the good old Czech Republic. I slept very well in the Cuba especially after a few local Czech ales in the bar, it turned out to be a good day, even without the phone.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2088484364532405&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 8). Sunday 10th February 2019.

Another early start and it was still dark when I left the hostel Cuba at Ceske Budejovice and made my way to the railway station for a few early photographs before dawn broke, I then took breakfast in the town and walked out to the depot. The lovely shed foreman allowed me around the depot.

It had been a few years since I had visited the Ceske Budejovice depot and sadly a lot of the old Grumpy diesels had now been removed or broken up, in fact only 4 were on shed on this visit and only two that looked like they were operational. Plenty more locos on shed though and it was a very enjoyable visit. After a number of years travelling around Czech Railways, I still think it lovely to meet Czech railwaymen, they really are so friendly once they know you have an interest, and indeed they are a very helpful peoples generally and nothing seems too much trouble for them to help you.

I returned to the railway station and caught a train back up to Prague Hl n, however I noticed a Grumpy parked up in the platforms behind a rake of ecs ay Cercany, so alighted for a few photographs before catching another train into Prague Hl n and then later caught a train over the river to Prague Smichov, where I boarded a train down to Beroun. I later took another service out to Brenice and then a branch train down to Rozmital Pod Tresimon and back to Brenice, before catching a direct service back up to Prague Hl n.

My next move was some tea in the station before completing the yellow underground line between Cerny Most and Zilcin and then returning to my Safestay Hostel for my final night of the trip. I slept well again.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2090055547708620&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Prague. Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 9). Monday 11th February 2019.

The last day of my trip, always a bit of an anti-climax. I was up early at the Safestay and on the platforms of Prague Hl n before sunrise. I then dropped down to the underground to finish the last of my lines off, the Green line from Merocice to Depo Hostiva which is actually the depot and the only part of the line that appears above ground.

From Depo Hostiva I decided to start chipping away at Prague’s extensive tram network and did end to end journeys on routes 5, 26 and route 4 as far as Vozna Strasnice, later returning to Prague Masarykovo nádraží and then Prague hlavní nádraží.

All too soon it was time to get to the airport on CD`s AE bus for a later afternoon flight back to Liverpool, we arrived back in the UK on time at 19.00, a bus took me to Liverpool South Parkway and a well timed train back into Manchester Piccadilly, tram to Bowker Vale and a bus back to my village in North Manchester arriving home for 22.00 on the Monday night with work the next morning, it had been a great trip though.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2092464900801018&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite an intense break by the looks of it, and nice work on clearing the Metro! I think lines 5 and 26 are cleared here too, or if not I came close. I genuinely can't remember!

I know the anti-climax thing, always disappointing to have to head home after an awesome trip. I'll no doubt be the same in a few weeks' time after my Australia and Lithuania trip, especially having just changed departments at work and it already being awful. Out of the frying pan and into the fire kind of thing, but that's an entirely off-topic thing...

Where's next for you, I cannot remember?

shredder1

Established Member
Quite an intense break by the looks of it, and nice work on clearing the Metro! I think lines 5 and 26 are cleared here too, or if not I came close. I genuinely can't remember!

I know the anti-climax thing, always disappointing to have to head home after an awesome trip. I'll no doubt be the same in a few weeks' time after my Australia and Lithuania trip, especially having just changed departments at work and it already being awful. Out of the frying pan and into the fire kind of thing, but that's an entirely off-topic thing...

Where's next for you, I cannot remember?

Thanks very much Tech, Austrailia`s a bit too far for me, but I`ve done Lithuania, a great railway centre Vilnius, enjoy. I`m in the Ukraine next in May and then a Czech Railtour and Poland mainly in July, love Poland

shredder1

Established Member
Kiev, Ukraine, (Day 1). Friday 3rd May 2019.

My second visit to the Ukraine and first visit to the Capital at Kiev. I flew in on the Friday Morning, and leaving the following Friday. I was staying at a guest house some 10 minutes’ walk away from the main railway stations, Central and Southern. My intention was essentially to travel the suburban lines, freights and main lines, Metro underground network and tram routes, with a day`s visit to Chernobyl and Pripyat.

I took an early flight from Manchester Airport by Ryanair and actually slept at the airport, or catnapped, I can sleep anywhere and often do. The flight out was on time, 06.05 and took around three and a half hours, arriving at Kiev Boryspil Airport before midday. A new airport rail link and station which opened in November 2018 now runs from the airport into Kiev central railway station and costs 80 hryvnia about £2.35 and takes 35 minutes. It is an incredibly cheap country for we Brits at the moment.

After checking into my guest house for the week, (£100 for 7 nights and it was decent), I was soon back on the platforms at the Central station and the adjoining Southern station, plenty to see and do including a railway museum adjoining to Central station. The locomotive depot is just off the ends of the platforms, with a quarter roundhouse and large complex to the rear, which quite a number of passenger locos stabled in the back yard, but impossible to access, I did ask at the main entrance, but was politely told this was not possible, so fair enough.

I was pulled by one of the security on the Southern station for taking photographs, but I just walked away and carried on, this was really the only problem I had with photography the whole eight days although a few drivers also objected, but most were very friendly and gave me a thumbs up when I photographed the engines. Most security were fine and so where the police although I did stand out as a tourist as a lot of the locals still wear military attire.

Lots of loco movements take place at Kiev Central railway station, Kiev-Pasazhyrskyi, as most trains are still loco hauled. I had a full afternoon and evening in the city, mainly trying to get my bearings and work out the language differences, the Cyrillic alphabet dominates with few Western translations.

It was a hot sunny afternoon when I landed, but a heavy electric storm later moved in just after I got back to my guest house for the night, it had been a very good start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev-Pasazhyrskyi_railway_station

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2203014593079381&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like an interesting place, I'm not sure if I fancy visiting myself though. Interesting that the locals were military clothing, I'm assuming there's a good reason for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.