• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
A good couple days in Glasgow. Agreed a bit cheeky (and probably against the law) to want to charge card fees for paying by debit card in that hotel.

Thank you very much Mr Kite, yes its a bit naughty charging for cards, especially debit cards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Merith House Hotel in Edinburgh did it to me too Kite, it's not unusual sadly.

Shred, that fudge stuff sounds rather nice, I had to stop myself ordering myself some as I looked at the size of my gut!

Its more addictive than crack mate, lol I usually stay in "The Hostel" facing Haymarket station, £10 a night last timer and finished up drinking vodka with this lovely Russian lad :D

shredder1

Established Member
Chasing Cumbrian Coast Tractors. Saturday 2nd December 2017.

It’s always a bit slow at this time of year with mainly Santa trains running on the preserved railways, so I decided to have a run around the Cumbrian Coast and catch up with the class 37`s which are still operating in that region.

I drove up to Crumpsall Metrolink station and caught the first tram out at 06.13, and next a train from Manchester Victoria to Preston, changing for a Virgin Pendolino to Lancaster, but by the time the next train would have got me up to Barrow in Furness, I would have missed the first loco hauled 37 out which was leaving at 08.45, so I boarded the next TPX which took me into Carlisle and then a class 156 Sprinter down to Workington, to meet the class 37 coming up the coast, I only wanted to phot it at this point, and not board it, it was hauled by 37403 Isle of Mull.

I took a later than usual breakfast in the Henry Bessemer, yes a JD Weatherspoon’s in the town, (the hash brown version), returning to Workington railway station to catch another Sprinter going south along the coast. For anyone like me who collects the totem station sign metal fridge magnets, the little shop on Workington station presently has 6 different ones, so I bought the full set, these were Workington, Workington North, Keswick, Maryport, Whitehaven and Cockermouth, nice to see some of the old stations remembered.

I next boarded a Sprinter down to Sellafield, only the last time I was there 4 class 37`s were parked up next to the station and two more in the power station, I soon jumped back on the train though as I saw that the sidings were empty, however as I passed the power station 4 class 68`s were parked inside the complex.

I alighted at Seascale to catch up with the next class 37 going towards Carlisle, this was 37558 Avro Vulcan XH 558 and I managed a few good shots in the sun as she crossed the embankment leading into the station. After a walk up the beach and a coffee in a local café, I returned to the station and caught up with 37403 Isle of Mull, now returning and running through to Lancaster, with a number of bashers riding in front of the loco, the DVT leading. I even managed to leap out at Barrow for a few quick shots as the driver and guard were changed.

It was dark by the time we arrived into Lancaster at 16.08, an enjoyable trip though. I took a TPX 185 down to Preston which terminated there and waited for another ex-Glasgow TPX 350 which took me back into Manchester Piccadilly. The weather had been good with some sunshine at times, not a bad day.

Working timetable for Saturday 2nd November 2017.

Diagram 1
5C33 05:34 ECS Barrow Carriage sidings -Barrow 05:37
2C33 05:46 Barrow-Carlisle 08:33
2C40 08:42 Carlisle-Barrow 11:30
2C45 11:38 Barrow-Carlisle 14:24
2C34 14:33 Carlisle-Barrow 17:23
2C47 17:32 Barrow-Carlisle 20:29
5C47 20:40 ECS Carlisle- Kingmoor Siding 20:51

Diagram 2
5C32 05:03 ECS Kingmoor Siding-Carlisle 05:12
2C32 05:15 Carlisle-Barrow 08:04
2C41 08:45 Barrow-Carlisle 11:35
2C48 11:56 Carlisle-Lancaster via Barrow 16:08
2C31 17:31 Lancaster-Barrow 18:40
5C31 18:48 ECS Barrow-Barrow Carriage sidings 18:51

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742930.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I managed a one way trip on a 37 earlier in the year on the Cumbrian Coast.
Hoping to have another go at some point but how long do people think we’ve got left?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I'd love to get up there for the 37s but unlikely to be able to do it in a day from down here in south west.

Great photos as always.

shredder1

Established Member
I managed a one way trip on a 37 earlier in the year on the Cumbrian Coast.
Hoping to have another go at some point but how long do people think we’ve got left?

Not sure of the time factors, the next timetable starts next week I believe, hopefully they will use them as a tourist attraction for a little longer, they do a similar thing on the Norwich to Yarmouth`s of course, interchanging with class 68`s sometimes.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
@shredder1 your photos of GCR last hurrah gala has made me want to visit the line for the first time. Is it easy to get to from Leicester railway station?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That sounds like some really good trips, I’ve never been on a 37 or Mark 2 Carriage :'( but now I want to!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
When the weather improves have a little weekday trip to Norwich ;)

The 37s out there seem to be more reliable than the ones on the coast

Ooh that’s a good idea because I like the 90s as well. The IC75s are worlds away from the wonderful Mallard seats but are much nicer than my local GWR Grammar seats so that would be a good day.

shredder1

Established Member
North Tyneside Railway and Stephenson`s Museum, Tyne and Wear, (Day 1). Friday, Saturday 8th and 9th December 2017.

I was struggling for somewhere to go over the weekend, so opted for the Northeast, a region steeped in railway history and an area I like to visit periodically. Although I`d visited the North Tyneside Railway previously I`d not travelled the waggon way down to Percy Main before, the full extent of the railway, and being the time of the year, I was only able to travel on the line by booking on one of the Santa Specials.

I booked a ticket on line on a Santa Special and managed to get on the first train out on the Saturday morning, the website wouldn’t let me passed the booking stage without writing the child`s age down, since It would have probably been a bit dodgy if I`d have borrowed a local kid for the trip, I decided to enter child aged 66 and the ticket booking actually went through.

I left work at the usual time on Friday evening and managed to get down to Manchester Victoria for a direct TPX service to Newcastle on Tyne, I must have left Manchester for around 17.30, but the service was running late and we arrived into Newcastle over 30 minutes down, so I was able to put a claim in.

I`d booked in the Albatross Hostel on Grainger Street, a 5 minute walk from Newcastle Central station, £20 for the night, alright though quite modern and clean and I slept well. I was however up early, showered and out for 07.00, the local Weatherspoon`s however did`nt open for breakfast until 08.00 hours in Newcastle so I had to go elsewhere.

Buying a Day Rover on the Metro I caught a train out to Percy Main, a name that appeared in the old Ian Allen combines under Gateshead MPD`s, but one I sadly never managed to visit before it closed.

On alighting at Percy Main, I walked up the waggon way to Middle Engine Lane, the base for the North Tyneside Railway and Stephenson`s Museum. The staff were wonderful and when I explained I was an enthusiast and at 66 the oldest child they had probably ever had on a Santa Special. I paid a visit around the excellent railway museum, and later took my seat about the first service out. They had a couple of musician`s on board, a violinist and a concertinerist, and they were very impressive and encouraged everyone to have a sing song, which some good old Christmas carol`s which included Jungle Bells.

Once the train arrived at Percy Main not only was I allowed out on the platform to take a few photographs, but the staff also very kindly found an empty coach for the return journey for me, I could live without seeing Santa and I doubt he had a bottle of rare single malt in his sack anyway.

After my trip down the line, I returned to take a few photographs of the next train down the and also revisited Percy Main and the site of the former locomotive depot, which is now sadly a local authority housing estate. I did however find the Railway Inn, now sadly closed and boarded up though.

I returned to the Metro Percy Main Station and caught a train to Tynemouth and spent some timer looking around the excellent market held on the station. My next move was a Metro train round to South Shields and the ferry over to North Shields, taking an excellent tea of gammon, egg, chips and garden peas, washed down with a few local ales, before returning to Newcastle Central and later taking a Metro train out to Felling and Pelaw for a bit of night photography.

I next returned again to Newcastle Central and walking out to the Euro Hostel for the night, one I have stayed in before, £18 for the night and with a very pleasant Lithuanian girl on reception who I spent some time chatting too. I shared a dormer with a young Spaniard and again slept well. Despite the cold conditions if had been an interesting day.

http://www.ntsra.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742931.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Bowes Railway and Tyne and Wear, (Day 2). Sunday 10th December 2017.

I was up showered and out at the Euro Hostel, could only find Greggs for a breakfast roll and a coffee that was open and I had to eat by roll on a Metro from Monument around the Coast to Cullercoats, because I wanted to take some photographs of the station and I do like my little Metro-cars. Returning to Newcastle I caught a number 56 bus out to Springwell, to visit the Bowes Railway, one I hadn’t visited before.

I`ve sent an email to the Bowes Railway earlier in the week to see if they were operating, but I still haven’t had a reply at the time of writing this up, I expect they are away from the site, it was closed when I arrived, but worth the trip out there and I`ll certain revisit once they are open, it looks like an amazing railway and I look forward to travelling up the incline from Springwell to Blackham`s. It is a unique railway and the only one of its kind.

I walked around the main site at Springwell and managed to take a few a photographs through the fencing. It was a cold frosty day and Springwell is quite high up in the fell. I followed the lines up to Blackham`s Hill to the second site, Blackham`s winding house and down the other site towards the crossing and Black Fell.

Returning to Blackham`s, I next followed the other line around Pelham Curve and down the hill to Wrekenton, both the Wrekenton and Black Fell sections and out of use, but the tracks are still in situ, albeit heavily overgrown and with sections missing on the Black Fell incline.

Returning to Springwell village and finding the community café for a hot soup and a cake to help revive me, a caught another 56 bus back into Gateshead Interchange and went down the escalator to the Metro, taking a train down to St Peters Sunderland and taking advantage of the afternoon`s winter sun.

I walked into Sunderland`s main station, now completely underground and a former shadow of itself. I photographed the local workings including the Grand Central HST which had passed though St Peters heading north and returned for the London train. I then took a Metro out to Stadium of Light and caught up with one of the advertising livery Metro units. From there I returned to Newcastle Central before taking a few photographs around the station and returning to Manchester Victoria on a direct TPX 185 and arriving home by around 20.00, it had been another good weekend`s break.

http://bowesrailway.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...31399627707.1073742933.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester and the Ordsall Chord. Saturday 16th December 2017.

Well I picked up a bit of a chill wondering around the Northeast Fells last weekend, so this weekend I just opted for a few hours around Manchester and aimed for the new Ordsall loop. I was however lucky in that at Manchester Victoria I was in the right spot to phot EWS Class 66 161. I was also fortunate in Pathfinder tours were running the Jolly Grid behind Colas Rail 56094 from Toton to Trafford Park, being joined by light engine, Schenker 60 017, which took the tour back from Trafford Park to Longsight, before returning via Deansgate.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742935.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
London and its Suburbs (Day 1). Saturday 23rd December 2017.

It was Christmas at last and I was heading south for the period, staying at number one son`s in Sandy for a week and then travelling over to meet up with a few mates in Bristol for a few days before travelling back New Year`s Eve.

I got away from work at 14.30 on Friday 22nd December; my case was already packed and once home I made my way back into Manchester for a Virgin Pendolino from Piccadilly station into London Euston. The underground took me to Kings Cross were I caught a Great Northern emu up to Sandy to spend the first evening with the family.

I was up early on the Saturday morning and had booked a Southern Daysave ticket, which after catching the 05.50 train from Sandy to Kings Cross, underground to London Victoria, I collected my Daysave from the ticket office.

My intention was to complete the few Southern region lines I`d not done before. I left London Victoria on a train bound for Sutton in Surrey and from Sutton onto new track down to Dorking via Epsom and Leatherhead, with a change of train from Dorking to Horsham to complete those tracks.

From Horsham I caught a train round to Gatwick via Three Bridges, I was heading to Redhill for another track section to complete, but Redhill was closed for a rebuild of the platforms, so all I could do was to catch a train to Horley and then a rail replacement bus into Redhill, hoping I could get the line in from Redhill to Tonbridge, but nothing was leaving Redhill by rail, so it was a case of catching another rail replacement bus up to Purley, boarding a train back to Horsham and up to Leatherhead for the line into Guildford.

From Guildford I caught a train to Wimbledon via Surbiton for new track and then a train to via Raynes Park to Epsom for the other line, returning to Waterloo from Epsom and the underground across London to Kings Cross and back up to Sandy. The lines I completed were Sutton to Horsham via Leatherhead and Dorking, Leatherhead to Guildford, Effingham Junction to Surbiton and Raynes Park to Epsom, which left me with only four lines to complete before I had travelled on every passenger line in Britain. Some more new track in the bag and not a bad day out and I was now due to spend the next 3 days with the family for Christmas and Boxing Day, but was already making plans to get out again on Wednesday to try to complete my tracks.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742937.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have just caught up on your last few trips Shred. It’s been a great year on the rails for you. Happy New Year mister 8-)

shredder1

Established Member
Have just caught up on your last few trips Shred. It’s been a great year on the rails for you. Happy New Year mister 8-)

Thank you very much, yes I don`t do badly, out most weekends and Eastern Europe again at the end of the month, have a great new year mate.

shredder1

Established Member
London and its Suburbs (Day 2). Wednesday 27th December 2017.

It was Christmas at last and I was heading south for the week, staying at number one son`s in Sandy for a week and then travelling over to meet up with a few mates in Bristol for a few days before the New Year.

After an enjoyable three days with my son and his partner over Christmas, I was off again on the rails, although this was Wednesday and the rip off railways don`t allow grace over the Christmas period, still offering a Saturday service, but charging full prices at peak periods, so after a big breakfast at Chunky`s, my favourite artery clogging establishment in the Village. It was however snowing and I`d been missing it all year, but it had gone by the time I arrived into London.

I caught the 09.16 from Sandy down to London Kings Cross, across London to Waterloo and back track bashing on Southern metals. This time it was a train to Weybridge for the cross service to Virginian Water, a shuttle service operates between both locations, I next caught a train out to Ascot for another new line, Ascot to Aldershot with a reversal for Guildford, thus hitting two new lines on one train.

I next needed the line from Guildford to Redhill, but as explained in Day 1, Redhill was undergoing remodelling, but the Great Western service that runs into the southern grounds at Redhill was stopping at the station before Redhill at Reigate, so I caught a train to Reigate, leaving me a small section of line, the next station in fact, to Redhill, once they decide to reopen it again and then just one more line in Britain to complete, Redhill to Tonbridge.

It was dark by the time I`d arrived at Reigate and after calling in a café for something to eat, the only way out was by either returning to Dorking or Guildford or a bus, so I caught a bus into Redhill and then another bus upto West Croydon, from there I took a train into London Bridge, which gave me change to look at the new bay platform developments. It was then the underground back to Kings Cross and back up to Sandy for the night.

Another great day with most of my new track now in the bag, essentially I only need Reigate to Tonbridge via Redhill now for completion of all Britain’s passenger railways, including many that have long closed, I`ve been at it since 1959. I slept well that night.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742938.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

AnthonyRail

Established Member
@shredder1 your photos of GCR last hurrah gala has made me want to visit the line for the first time. Is it easy to get to from Leicester railway station?
Planned to head up to GCR Jan 26th for winter gala. Finally see an 8F and 9F would be fantastic and I need to see blossom in green as it was in my favourite TV program oh doctor beeching