• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Don’t know myself about staying in hostels. Weird sleeping with others in room

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
You get used to it, although I prefer a bottom bunk as it is easier to head to the loo if required during the night.

shredder1

Established Member
Sometimes that is all I want from a hostel/hotel. Either check in during the day to return later that evening, and out early in the morning.

Yes I`m like that, if I`m tramping Europe I`ll get a private room every 3rd night or so, but hostels are fine on the whole.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Suppose it’s something that you’d not know until you try. The cost savings makes it feasible.

shredder1

Established Member
Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, Spring Steam Gala. Saturday and Sunday 10th and 11th March 2018.

I left the office in Manchester at 16.00 Friday afternoon, arriving home by 17.00, car loaded up and I was off over the hill to Haworth for the weekend. I stayed at the YHA, first time in this one; a lovely stately building not far from Haworth Railway station, but more importantly very handy for the loco sheds early morning. I could have drove over Saturday morning, I`ve done this in the past, as the Worth Valley line is just under an hours drive away from me, but sooner than drive over for both days, I decided it was better to stay over. The YHA only charged me £10 for the Friday night and £15 for Saturday night and I shared a dormer with 3 other railway enthusiasts of around my age, who were also attending the gala, so we had a good natter, and after a few well-earned Czech ales, (bought them on the way over), I was soon sleeping like a baby.

I was up for around 05.30 Saturday morning and drove down to the loco sheds, great to see so many in steam which included British Railways 7MT 4-6-2 70013 Oliver Cromwell, Somerset and Dorset 7F 2-8-0 53808, MR 4F 0-6-0 43924, BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0 75078, USATC S160 2-8-0 Big Jim 5820, Hudswell Clarke 1704 Nunlow, LNWR Coal Tank 0-6-2 1054, and Taff Vale 02 0-6-2T 85 and Black 5 44871, a fantastic line up by anyone’s standards.

After photographing the locos firing up on shed, I took breakfast in the station café, and later drove over to Ingrow West to park the car up for the day; I bought a two day rover ticket, but didn’t use it much, and spent most of my day location shooting around Keighley and on the banks. The weather was a bit wet early morning and light showers appeared throughout the day, so I did manage a trip up the line, back to Haworth to check out the book shop and later returned to Ingrow West for the obligatory chip shop visit and also to look around the second hand bookshop, amazingly I only purchased 2 books.

Returning down the line to Keighley, I spent the rest of the day on the banks before returning to Ingrow West and driving back to the YHA Haworth for a shower and change as I needed to drive back over the hill to Waterfoot, Rossendale, as my eldest grandson had his engagement party and I was the official photographer of course. It was a great evening and lovely to catch up with my daughter and 7 grandchildren. I`d left the party by 22.00 and drove back over the hill to Haworth YHA, the usual few ales and I was soon asleep, it had been a long and busy day.

Day 2 and I slept in until 07.00, late for me, I was again on shed first thing, but this time after first light and locos had just began to move off shed, a few breakfast sandwiches in Morrison`s this time. I drove over to Ingrow West again, but on the Sunday it was dry and a much brighter and clearer day. I met up with a few mates throughout the day, John from just outside my home town and later Steve from Grimsby. I spent most of the day with Steve on the Keighley banks just photographing the action and we later had a walk up to Ingrow West for the chippy run. Steve left late afternoon and I caught up with John again who had been photting higher up the line, after grabbing a bite to eat we took a ride up the line to Oxenhope and back to Ingrow West to pick up the car, I took John back in the car and dropped him at home, before returning to my own village. It had been a really great weekend and spent in some excellent company, a really big well done to the Worth Valley Railway, a fantastic event as usual.

http://kwvr.co.uk/events/month/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073743003.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Iskra

Established Member
Sounds a good trip, I like the early morning photo's of the engines lined up, very atmospheric and seeing so many makes me imagine what a real steam shed looked like (before my time), so thanks for sharing. Shame you didn't try the chippy in Haworth, always my KWVR chippy of choice and located close to the station.

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds a good trip, I like the early morning photo's of the engines lined up, very atmospheric and seeing so many makes me imagine what a real steam shed looked like (before my time), so thanks for sharing. Shame you didn't try the chippy in Haworth, always my KWVR chippy of choice and located close to the station.

Thank you very much, appreciated, I`ll try the Haworth chip shop next time, thank you.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Early morning shed photographs are fantastic. Must have been a wonderful sight.

Well done only purchase 2 books. U must have more books than WH smith. I'm going car boot sale Sunday with half my collection as trying raise funds for GBRF18 railtour

shredder1

Established Member
Early morning shed photographs are fantastic. Must have been a wonderful sight.

Well done only purchase 2 books. U must have more books than WH smith. I'm going car boot sale Sunday with half my collection as trying raise funds for GBRF18 railtour

Thank you yes amazing Anthony, the book collection is getting a little overwealming thse days, must post an updated list, so you are selling railway books to fund a tour, I guess I`m too obsessed with books, sooner sell a kidney first o_O

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
How much for one of your kidneys anyway? ;)
That looked like an excellent gala at the KWVR. What a line up!
I love the two S&DR 7Fs. I was lucky enough to have the pair of them double heading on the West Somerset a few years ago. Loads of power.
The Coal Tank and Taff Vale tank are two that I need and I keep thinking that I ought to buy a book to start keeping a proper record of what steam I’ve had over the years. (any recommendations? Do Platform 5 do anything maybe?).
There’s been a few locos that I’ve had that haven’t run for the best part of twenty years now and I keep wondering if I’ve got over 100 in the bag yet...
Note to self: Must sort this out.
Great stuff Shred.

shredder1

Established Member
Haha, not sure not sold one yet, but the way my pension fund is going I might look into it :s I bet the two S and D`s looked great I missed that one, not sure about Platform 5 and preserved stock although I`m sure I`ve seen one somewhere? Full of a cold this weekend, I was going to catch an early train to get down to the Severn Valley, but for the first time in years I`ve missed it, so just off to look for accommodation for the night, so might drive down later and stay over.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Haha, not sure not sold one yet, but the way my pension fund is going I might look into it :s I bet the two S and D`s looked great I missed that one, not sure about Platform 5 and preserved stock although I`m sure I`ve seen one somewhere? Full of a cold this weekend, I was going to catch an early train to get down to the Severn Valley, but for the first time in years I`ve missed it, so just off to look for accommodation for the night, so might drive down later and stay over.
Hoping you make SVR. Was looking forward to seeing photos of the blue king

shredder1

Established Member
Hoping you make SVR. Was looking forward to seeing photos of the blue king

Oh thanks very much Anthony, I`ve just arrived back, I picked a cold up in the week and overslept saturday morning, I mean`t to catch the 05.11 train off Piccadilly, but didnt get up until 07.00 after dosing myself night nurse, anyway to cut a long story short I drove down there saturday morning and booked a room in Coalport YHA to stay over for the sunday, Sauturday was cold and it snowed very heavily in the night, so much so that I couldnt get the car up the hill out of the YHA and had to drive the long way round at about 20 mph to get back to Bridgnorth, its been a very cold weekend, but I did take quite a few photographs, so once I`ve been through them all, I hope you will enjoy them, the Blue King was fantastic on a big line for a change.

shredder1

Established Member
Severn Valley Spring Steam Gala. Saturday and Sunday, 17th and 18th March 2018.

Locos operating were, GWR King 6023, King Edward II, LNER B12, 8572, BR Standard 4MT 80072, LNER A1 60163 Tornado, Haydock Foundry Bellerophon, GWR 1450 and Pannier Tank 1501 and S & D 7F No. 53808 which replaced the B1 Bongo No. 1264.

I`d caught a cold in the week, I`m not great at being ill, so I dosed myself up with Night Nurse on the Friday night before having an early night, I wanted to be up for the 05.11 from Manchester Piccadilly to get down to the Severn Valley Spring Steam Gala and thought I would have the Saturday down there and travel back on Saturday evening, but for whatever reason I missed the alarm and didn’t wake up until 07.00 Saturday morning. The train was out then, so I checked out booking .com, booked a room at the YHA Coalport and drove down to Bridgnorth.

I arrived at Bridgnorth just after lunch and decided to do a bit of lineside at various locations between Highley, Erdington and Bridgnorth, the sun did appear for very brief periods, but generally it was a very cold and overcast afternoon, with a snow storm materialising towards the end of the day, but it didn’t stick. After a chip shop tea in Bridgnorth I drove over to Coalport for my bed for the night. The YHA website was down so I couldn’t claim my membership discounts and special offers, but the manager very kindly gave be a single room with en-suite shower for £18, which I though was pretty good. I took another dose of Night Nurse and was soon in the land of nod.

I was up for 06.30 and all was white outside, there had been a snow storm in the night and an igloo now stood in the car park where I had parked my car, a considerable amount of snow had fallen, the Beast from the East apparently, and it was still snowing as I tried to clear the snow from the car.
I set off back towards Bridgnorth, over the River Severn towards the former Coalport Railway Station, (now camping coach accommodation for tourists), but my car couldn’t get up the hill, wheels spinning all over the place and all I could do was reverse back towards the bridge and try to find another, more flatter way into Bridgnorth, thank goodness for the satnav I found a way around, but the roads were very slippy so I was down to 20 mph.

However I arrived before most mortals and the staff certainly had their work cut out clearing the platforms and defrosting points and signalling rods, but despite a late start for the railway, they did make a lot of time up throughout the day, it was certainly a cold one. I spent a lot of the day riding behind various loco`s between Bridgnorth, Bewdley and Kidderminster, even taking a ride on the auto coaches, and generally trying to keep warm, it was a great event. Another £40 spent on railway books though and this was me being selective. My last run of the day was behind the magnificent Blue King from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth, and the light was beginning to fade as I took the last of my images for the day. A really big well done to all the staff at the Severn Valley Railway for a fantastic event.

Fortunately the roads had more of less cleared of snow by the time I drove home and the M6 was clear all the way back to the Northwest, a great weekend.

http://www.svr.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073743005.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Keith Jarrett

Shred - good to catch up on your latest jaunts. Good selection of steam in there, particularly at the SVR gala.

The Coal Tank and Taff Vale tank are two that I need and I keep thinking that I ought to buy a book to start keeping a proper record of what steam I’ve had over the years. (any recommendations? Do Platform 5 do anything maybe?).

Cowley - Yes, Platform 5 do their Preserved Locomotives of British Railways. The "blurb" from my website says

The complete guide to all former main line steam, diesel and electric locomotives and multiple units that are still in existence.

Produced in a handy A5 format this book is a useful reference guide to preserved main line locomotives, steam, diesel and electric, plus multiple unit trains which can be seen today, working on Britain's many heritage railways, hauling tours on the national network and exhibited in railway and industrial heritage museums.

Each locomotive class is briefly described with principal dimensions followed by a list of existing locomotives with British Railways and previous numbers where applicable, current owner or location.

• All steam locomotives of British Railways, the 'Big Four' and their predecessors that are still in existence.
  • Former War Department locomotives, replica and new build steam locomotives.
  • Diesel and electric locomotives, multiple units and railcars of BR and pre-nationalisation companies.
  • Currently carried number, former numbers, names, build dates, builder and home locations for every locomotive and multiple unit.
  • A comprehensive list of preservation sites and heritage railways with OS grid references.
P5 also do books covering Britain's narrow gauge and miniature railways but oddly they ignore covering the raft of former industrial tanks that are the staple power of many preserved lines (perhaps they are too scared to tread on Industrial Railway Society territory).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Shred - good to catch up on your latest jaunts. Good selection of steam in there, particularly at the SVR gala.

Cowley - Yes, Platform 5 do their Preserved Locomotives of British Railways. The "blurb" from my website says

The complete guide to all former main line steam, diesel and electric locomotives and multiple units that are still in existence.

Produced in a handy A5 format this book is a useful reference guide to preserved main line locomotives, steam, diesel and electric, plus multiple unit trains which can be seen today, working on Britain's many heritage railways, hauling tours on the national network and exhibited in railway and industrial heritage museums.

Each locomotive class is briefly described with principal dimensions followed by a list of existing locomotives with British Railways and previous numbers where applicable, current owner or location.

• All steam locomotives of British Railways, the 'Big Four' and their predecessors that are still in existence.
  • Diesel and electric locomotives, multiple units and railcars of BR and pre-nationalisation companies.
  • Currently carried number, former numbers, names, build dates, builder and home locations for every locomotive and multiple unit.
  • A comprehensive list of preservation sites and heritage railways with OS grid references.
P5 also do books covering Britain's narrow gauge and miniature railways but oddly they ignore covering the raft of former industrial tanks that are the staple power of many preserved lines (perhaps they are too scared to tread on Industrial Railway Society territory).
That’s great Keith thanks for that. I’m going to order one later.
Nick

shredder1

Established Member

Thanks very much Keith and great input, thank you.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Brilliant photos, I need to see the king, hopefully in May at Cheltenham.

Where will this weekend take you.

shredder1

Established Member
Brilliant photos, I need to see the king, hopefully in May at Cheltenham.

Where will this weekend take you.

Thank you very much Anthony. This weekend, well Sunday I fly into Prague from Liverpool and then the train to Bratislava travelling Slovakia for 8 days with my free rail pass, Kosice, Poprad Tatra, Zillina, Trencianske Teplice, Strba, Zvolen works fingers crossed, and Nove Zamky, plus a few lines I`ve not done before around the Hungarian, Polish and Ukraine borders, I`m booked in at various accommodations, apartments mainly, at different ends of the country. The following Sunday I fly back from Bratislava to Manchester, I had to use up the last of my annual leave from last year, life`s hard at times mate ;) .

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Saturday 7th April 2018.

A bit lost for somewhere to go this weekend, no events really within comfortable driving distance, although I did consider the Nene Valley Railway`s Diesel Gala, but instead just opted for a few hours around Manchester and decided to have the weekend chilling out locally.

I caught a train from Manchester Victoria to Bolton to take a look at the recent developments in the town, the new bus station has now been completed and a new walk bridge has been built across the railway to join the station with the bus interchange. Platform 5 on Bolton station has also been re-opened after many years and a new footbridge has been put in place.

I then took a train from Bolton to Manchester Piccadilly and had a run up to Glossop and Hadfield behind a 323 unit. It was raining at times and very dark and overcast for most of the day, so I hope this is reflected in my images.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...30820331097.1073743017.100001125840218&type=3

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Doesn’t seem a lot going on, but not long to wait for diesel galas to start. SVR diesel gala again for me this year.

shredder1

Established Member
Doesn’t seem a lot going on, but not long to wait for diesel galas to start. SVR diesel gala again for me this year.

Yes I must try to get to that one, Llangollen steam gala next weekend, been struggling to find decent accommodation so might take the one man tent.