• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An unbelievable amount of trips since I last looked in!
The Tanfield looks like a really interesting line, must have a look one day.
Great to read about it all. What a life...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
An unbelievable amount of trips since I last looked in!
The Tanfield looks like a really interesting line, must have a look one day.
Great to read about it all. What a life...

Thank you very much Cowley, yes Tanfield is certainly worth a visit.

shredder1

Established Member
Threlkeld Quarry Railway and Mining Museum. Saturday 28th July 2018.

It was my first trip to the railway and probably the best one to choose too, the annual steam gala. It was a 220-mile round trip driving, so I opted for public transport, free train Manchester to Wigan, (National bus pass), £23 Wigan to Penrith return on the train and again free bus pass Penrith, outside the station, to Threlkeld village, then a 30 minutes’ walk.

An early start and a drive into Manchester, my usually car park at the back of Piccadilly Station had a broken ticket machine, and since the parking attendants are unable to read simple notes left in a windscreen, I parked on the street for free and saved myself £3.50. I caught a 05.45 Blackpool North train from Manchester Piccadilly to Wigan North-western and then a Virgin Pendolino direct to Penrith. From Penrith the 08.20 Stagecoach X4 bus took me to the village of Threlkeld and dropped me off at the old Post Office and from there I had a half hour walk up to the quarry.

It was not too bad a walk only for the heavy rain that decided to fall just after I had started walking and by the time I`d arrived at the quarry I was literally like a drowned rat. The staff very kindly allowed me to leave my top coat and rucksack behind the counter in the museum to dry off, and also made me a much-welcomed cup of coffee. Shortly after my arrival the rain stopped and the sun came out, incredible, so I was out trackside taking a few photographs and also took a few rides up and down the railway. Essentially the railway operates for around half a mile inside the quarry, climbing up some very steep gradients until it arrives at the highest point of the quarry.

A number of different locos were operating on the day including some visitors from Statfold Barn and the Leighton Buzzard Railway, in fact I recognised a few of the lads who had travelled with various locos, including Ray who use to fire at the East Lancs Railway.

Other facilities at the quarry include an excellent mining museum, one of the best I`ve seen actually and certainly the largest collection of digging machines, excavators and drag lines I`ve also ever seen. The rain was on and off throughout the day, which was a shame because this was the quarry`s main annual event, the weather didn’t put many off though as it was well attended.

The price was a mere £8, £20 would have been more realistic, and it really is a must to visit with plenty to do and see. A big thank you to the owner and all involved for a great day out.

My walk back into the Village of Threlkeld was a dry one, and I`d missed the Stagecoach X4 back into Penrith, but since I had my free bus pass, I decided to take a bus in the opposite direction to Keswick and after a walk around the town took tea in one of the restaurants, before catching another Stagecoach X4 bus back to Penrith railway station and then a TPX back into Manchester Piccadilly to collect the car, a very enjoyable, if not long day out.

https://www.threlkeldquarryandminingmuseum.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...51883585656.1073743145.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Heaton Park Tram Museum, Manchester. Sunday 29th July 2018.

I only live about 15 minutes away from the Heaton Park Tram Museum so drop in on occasion to see what progress they are making, they have done an incredible job over the years and I`ve watched each extension completed and a new one started. The museum has great potential and is already in the planning stages of the next extension towards Heaton Park Metrolink, when it will have officially crossed the park, other plans include a branch up to the Hall and a triangular junction between lines, with the addition of an Edwardian frontage and clock tower to the recently build tram shed.

I had an enjoyable visit today and was very kindly taken inside the depot thanks to long standing volunteer and driver Tony. Blackpool Brush built Car 623 was operating and I took a number of trips between the Lakeside café and Manchester Road Gates. Many thanks for an enjoyable afternoon guys.

http://www.heatonparktramway.btck.co.uk/AboutUs

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...51670182344.1073743146.100001125840218&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’d never heard of Heaton Park Tramway museum but it looks really interesting. I just had a look through their website.

shredder1

Established Member
Isle of Wight, Steam Gala, (Day 1). Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th August 2018.

A lovely weekend on the Isle of Wight steam railway. Leaving Manchester Piccadilly on Friday evening, I was aware that a rail strike by RMT on Southwest Trains was taking place on the Saturday, so wanted to make my way as far down South as I could.

I caught a Virgin Pendolino from Manchester to London Euston, caught up with 87002 Royal Sovereign which had just pulled the Caledonian Sleeper ECS into the platforms and then took to the underground, Northern Line to take me to Waterloo. I wasn’t waiting long before I managed to catch the last train to Portsmouth Harbour which got me in just after midnight.

I needed to catch the next ferry, but it wasn’t until 05.20 so after a walk around Gunwharf Quay. I spent 5 hours on two deck chairs pulled together on a balcony in the shopping centre and managed to avoid the patrolling security as they walked behind my little hideout with their little torches flashing away, bless. The morning light eventually broke and the IOW ferry was on time and it wasn’t long before I was stepping off the ferry in Ryde Isle of Wight just before 06.00.

I was surprised that I didn’t have long to wait for one of the Island trains, former London Underground 1938 stock, the ticket price was an amazing £16 rover that covered me for the Island Railway and Steam Railway, fantastic value, but only certain timed trains stop at Smallbrook Junction, the steam railway connection when its running, so while waiting for the stopper, I had a few rides up and down the line, visiting all the stations and Ryde Esplanade plus the train crew depot at Ryde St Johns.

I arrived on the first stopper from the south into Smallbrook Junction in time for the first train up the line from Havenstreet. From Smallbrook Junction I rode to the end of the line at Wotton and later returned to Havenstreet were all the activity takes place. The railway here offers views of the locomotive depot and yard, a large museum and main workshops, gift and model shop and smaller museum, second-hand bookshop and an excellent café serving hot and cold food.

I spent some time at Havenstreet before retuning up the line to Ashley, an excellent photographic location around a level crossing with the former station building, now in private hands, still visible.

I`d planned catching the last train back to Smallbrook Junction which was double-headed Terrier Tanks and after taking a few photographs I found out that I`d missed the last stopping train back into Ryde and Smallbrook Junction station was landlocked, you can only leave by rail, so I was stranded and not alone, 2 other lads were also in the same boat. It might have been helpful if people were warned about the last train from Smallbrook Junction, even a sign on the station would be better than nothing and it is something that apparently happens a lot.

However we returned to Havenstreet and with the other two lads, we shared a taxi together, as Havenstreet doesn’t even have a bus connection. We eventually arrived at Ryde and gave the taxi driver a fiver each. I was meeting up with some of the mods and admins from RailUK, who had very kindly invited me for a meal in a Turkish Restaurant, we had a table booked for 8 of us and what a great pleasure it was to meet these guys, who are a reflection on the high and professional standard the website RailUK is ran.

My accommodation was at the opposite end of the Island at Shanklin, so after the meal and a few excellent Turkish ales, I said my goodbyes and made my way back to the Island line on the Esplanade, the last of the light had left the skies by the time I had arrived, but I was curious to why lots of crowds were gathers at each side of the road.

I made my way to my hotel for the night, which was some 20 minutes along the same route as the crowds had gathered and they were even blocking the pavement in places and after cracking a few trying to squeeze through with my rucksack, plus the fact that I`d gone 36 hours without a bed, I did get into a bit of aggro, but gave as much back. The event that everyone was waiting for was the Shanklin Light Parade and it was lovely to see as I caught up with it just prior to arriving at my hotel, but I was so knackered that all I wanted to do was get a shower and jump in bed, which I did, needless to say I slept like a log, it had been a long but very satisfying day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...96115594566.1073743148.100001125840218&type=3

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...74495556728.1073743152.100001125840218&type=3

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Love it. Great little railway, bit unfortunate with the last train though.
Lucky you weren’t asleep when those security guards walked past with your snoring. :lol:

shredder1

Established Member
Isle of Wight, Steam Gala, (Day 2). Sunday 5th August 2018.

After a great night’s sleep at the Braemar Hotel Shanklin and a breakfast to die for, I ate everything, I was soon back on the streets and heading for the railway station. Another ride on the Island line from Shanklin to Ryde Esplanade in a second day of glorious sunshine. I then boarded the next train down to join the steam railway at Smallbrook Junction for the first train up.

I took a ride out to Havenstreet and returned again to Smallbrook Junction, before returning to Havenstreet and having another wonder around the yards and shop, and later taking a train up to Wootton and the crossing outside the station. I later returned to Havenstreet, another ride out to Wootton and then back to Havenstreet and finally back to Smallbrook Junction by 15.00.

After catching a service train on the Island line back to Ryde Pierhead, I managed to catch a ferry by around 16.00 and connected with Southwest Trains directly into London Waterloo. I then took the Northern underground line to London Euston and only had a short time to wait before catching a Virgin Pendolino directly into Manchester Piccadilly and a bus home for 22.30, not a bad run and a fantastic weekend, great weather, met some new and old friends, it really had been a great one. A really big thank you to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, I`ll certainly be back again.

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...71502063694.1073743155.100001125840218&type=3

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I never realised the line continued onwards over the road at Shanklin in steam days. The entrance road to holiday park in the old alignment. Great pictures, I’m heading over for the diesel gala as misssed the class 33 over there last year, hopefully a good visiting loco announcement soon

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm surprised you managed to stay overnight at gunwharf quays, bit of a risky move instead the security guard called the police.

Btw it's south western railway now, SWT ceased to exist last year

shredder1

Established Member
I'm surprised you managed to stay overnight at gunwharf quays, bit of a risky move instead the security guard called the police.

Btw it's south western railway now, SWT ceased to exist last year

All the police could do is move me on to be honest, Had security found me, I would have moved on of course, but yes thanks South Western Railways now of course, in fact I saw my first one in the new livery, but coudnt get a picture of it.

shredder1

Established Member
I never realised the line continued onwards over the road at Shanklin in steam days. The entrance road to holiday park in the old alignment. Great pictures, I’m heading over for the diesel gala as misssed the class 33 over there last year, hopefully a good visiting loco announcement soon

Thanks Anthony, yes the line went to Ventnor, in fact Ventnor had a second station, Ventnor West which went on to Newport. Enjoy the gala mate.

shredder1

Established Member
Great Central Railway. End of BR Steam Gala Saturday 11th August 2018.

A weekend in the car visiting the Great Central Railway on the Saturday and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway on Sunday.

I left home at 18.00 Friday evening and somehow avoided the rush hour traffic as I drove around Manchester`s outer ring road the M60 towards the A6 southbound and as I always do when I`m driving in that direction, I called in at Peak Forest to see what was on the points. I was rewarded with DRS Class 37 37716, GBRf 66788 and Colas class 56 56105, with EWS 60059, 66039 and 66049 parked in the sidings.

After taking a chip shop tea in a Buxton chippery, I drove the final few miles to the YHA Hartington Hall at £10 for the night in a lovely Derbyshire stately home, not bad value and it saved me a long drive down to Loughborough the following day.

I was up showered and out of Hartington Hall by 06.00 and arrived at Loughborough Central just over an hour later. The obligatory shed visit was the first stop, followed by a few shots with the ladders over the bridges. Friday evening was glorious on the way down and Saturday turned out to be the same. I headed out to Woodthorpe bridge, the field location has now been lost to housing, but after spending some time there, I drove out to Kinchley Lane in the afternoon as the sun had moved around by then. I later dropped back to Quorn and Woodhouse and finally returned to Loughborough Central and took the last few trips up the line, one behind the Riddles 2MT and the last trip of the day was behind the double-header Stanier Class 8f 48624 in the guise of 48476 and Standard class 5, 73156 in the guise of 73069 and we were met for the return journey at Leicester North by Britannia pacific 70013 Oliver Cromwell. It had been a great day, a big well done to the Great Central Railway.

After the customary few local ales I drove out to the Guest House Rempstone, an accommodation that I`ve stayed at before and great value at £30 for the night, I slept well.

Locomotives operating were,
Stanier Class 8f 48624 in the guise of 48476
Standard class 5, 73156 in the guise of 73069
Britannia pacific 70013 Oliver Cromwell.
BR Riddles Class 2MT 78018
Class 25 D5185
Class 47 1705
and Metropolitan Cammell dmu.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/end-of-br-steam-gala-2018/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...42967893214.1073743157.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Ecclesbourne Valley Diesel Gala. Sunday 12th August 2018.

A weekend in the car visiting the Great Central Railway on the Saturday and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway on Sunday.

After a great night’s sleep at the Rempstone Guest House, Loughborough, I was up showered and out my 07.30, a slightly later start for me, but it didn’t take me long to drive up to Wirksworth for a day on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, who were holding a diesel gala.

I`ve visited the Ecclebourne Valley Railway many times and each time I visit, some more progress is being made. The present move is towards building a new station building to the original plans, the base is down already and the artists impressions look fantastic, it will be a big boost for the railway instead of having numerous buildings.

The diesel gala hosted British Railways Class 08 08605 "Wigan 2" One of the class of popular diesel shunting locomotives that has rarely been seen on passenger workings. Courtesy of Riviera Trains. British Railways Class 08 08704. Courtesy of Riviera Trains. British Railways Class 31 31206 This popular Class 31 British Railways Class 31 31601 "Devon Diesel Society" Recently withdrawn from the mainline, hauling passenger trains for the first time in preservation. British Railways Class 33 33103 "Swordfish" Freshly repainted during the winter period, British Railways Class 73 73210 "Selhurst" This versatile locomotive stretched its legs for the first time in Derbyshire.

I caught the first train down the line from Wirksworth to Duffield which was hauled by double headed Class 08 shunters 06605 and 08704 and then returned to Wirksworth for a run up the quarry line to Ravenstor behind the Class 73, 73210. I took a number of trips both to Duffield and Ravenstor behind various haulages. The weather had changed with light rain at times, but it was still a very good day. I met up with a few Facebook friends, including Neil Ferguson-Lee one of the Directors of the railway.

The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway goes from strength to strength on each visit and I thank all the staff for another excellent visit and fantastic event.

https://www.e-v-r.com/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...69381133906.1073743158.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Glasgow and Perth. (Day 1). Friday 17th August 2018.

I was heading for Scotland to visit the Keith and Dufftown Railway and the Strathspey Railway, with accommodation booked in Inverness and Glasgow.

I was away early from the office on Friday afternoon and soon back into Manchester to catch a train from Manchester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate with a walk across the road to Wigan North-western station and then a Virgin Pendolino directly into Glasgow Central arriving in the City just a little after 21.00.

I caught up with the Lowland Caledonian sleeper which had two class 92 in the platforms, 92033 and 92038. I later walked over to Queen Street station to catch the last train of the day to Perth arriving into the City at 00.45. The plan was to stay in the station waiting room until the Inverness train at 05.07, which started at Perth, but I was thrown out of the station as it closed after the last train, so I spent the next 4 hours wondering around Perth with not much to see at that time in the morning, but the hours passed quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...dxRYuu3JnGza5RiyRd-_xmtgk1s25L12Oj_AjFlJ5i-zA

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would imagine Perth overnight is a bit like Stirling at half five in the morning (or whatever time the Inverness sleeper arrives), in being quiet.

shredder1

Established Member
Perth, Inverness and Keith and Dufftown Railway. (Day 2). Saturday 18th August 2018.

I was heading for Scotland to visit the Keith and Dufftown Railway and the Strathspey Railway, with accommodation booked in Inverness and Glasgow.

After tramping the streets of Perth for 4 hours, it was great to see the station reopen again and board the early train to Inverness. No sooner had I sat down than I was out to the world in a well-deserved sleep, I slept right through until Inverness.

It was nice to be back in this beautiful city again and on arrival I was in time to phot the Highland Chieftain just about to depart for London. Breakfast in a local café and an hour to wait for the Keith train.

I boarded a class 170 to Keith which was once named Keith Junction and took a line down to Dufftown and beyond, but these days, it’s a preservation line and starts at Keith Town station and terminates at Dufftown. I had just under a mile to walk to the station at Keith Town and join the Keith and Dufftown Railway for my first trip down the line, and what pleasant country it traverses, I even saw a deer crossing the line in front of the train on the journey.

Plans are apparently a foot to reconnect Keith Town with the main line at Keith Junction, indeed the original platform and a good shed are still in situ at the latter. On reaching Keith Town I walked along the track bed back towards Keith Junction to see how far it went, the track continues from Keith Town over the river and ends behind Strathisla Distillery, (yes I called in for a wee dram), and then becomes very overgrown until it reaches the yard at Keith Junction. It didn’t look like a lot of work to get the line back into the junction.

I boarded a twin car former B.R. Derby Class 108 DMU “Spirit of Speyside” for the 11-mile journey down the line to Dufftown. The first station down the line is Auchindachy very well preserved but in private hands now, next is Towiemore Halt, then Drummuir and eventually the train takes you onto Dufftown which holds the claim of the Whisky capital of the World, which it probably is, due to its glut of distilleries.

At Dufftown were 2 more class 108 DMU`s, the prototype BREL/Leyland Class 140 DMU, 140001, along with industrial diesel shunters, “SPIRIT O’ FIFE” English Electric 0-6-0 DM, and Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 Diesel Hydraulic, with at least two more locked in the new shed.

I spent some time in Dufftown to visit the Glenfiddich Distillery, open 7 days a week, but not on my visit as it was a worker`s only family visit, the same at the Belvenie Distillery, so I had a walk into Dufftown town centre and visited the Whisky Museum and later the Whisky shop for half a dozen miniatures to console myself.

I took a light lunch in the railways excellent restaurant car on site and returned to Keith on the last train, walking back through the town to Keith Junction station, with just over an hours wait for a train back into Inverness. Class 170`s presently operate the service between Inverness and Aberdeen and services are sparse, the line however is currently being upgraded and redundant HST`s from First Great Western are being modified to operate between Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh, so services should be more frequent and faster, but much of it is still single tracked.

The Chieftain HST had returned by the time I returned to Inverness and after visiting the depot, was returned to the station ready for the 09.40 service south on Sunday morning. I had a wonder around Inverness and took a meal in a local café before locating the City Hostel for the night, which was very central and on the high street at only £17 for the night. I`d essentially been up since 06.30 Friday morning, so slept very well that night, it had been a great day.

http://keith-dufftown-railway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1838369152877262&type=3&fb_dtsg_ag=AdzHJ6-MBL9C-V5aPl_m5tKYFTgeGYVuiYGexDCTv9Jf4g:AdznFkme4eYLaNhRVn7fJNCBsNEQHP5h_o8M0z5iHrdvDA

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Invernes - Aberdeen also sees a fair number of 158 workings on the roughly 2-hourly service. Sounded like a good trip to Dufftown, hopefully one day it will be reconnected to the network, but will be easier to visit once the I-A services become hourly

I shall keep that hostel in mind, was it quiet(ish)?

shredder1

Established Member
Invernes - Aberdeen also sees a fair number of 158 workings on the roughly 2-hourly service. Sounded like a good trip to Dufftown, hopefully one day it will be reconnected to the network, but will be easier to visit once the I-A services become hourly

I shall keep that hostel in mind, was it quiet(ish)?

Cheers mate, yes fairly quiet apart from my snoring, lol, very central though, but Inverness does have a few hostels, not a bad city to stay.

shredder1

Established Member
Inverness, Strathspey Railway and Glasgow. (Day 3). Sunday 19th August 2018.

I was up early, showered and out at the Central Hostel after a good night’s sleep, but Inverness however sleeps in on a Sunday and nothing was open including the railway station and the first train south, my train, was the Chieftain HST at 09.40.

However, I took breakfast in the Royal Highland Hotel, next to the railway station, after which the station opened at 08.00 and the Chieftain departed on time, arriving at Aviemore at 10.20 and in time for the first train out on the Strathspey railway at 10.30.

I was treated to an Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0, 46512 for the first run up the line and I alighted at Boat of Garten, a beautiful station which was once the junction for the Craigellachie/Elgin and Dufftown/Keith lines. This gave me time to have a look around the yard, as I hadn’t alighted there on previous visits.

I returned to Aviemore on the same train behind Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0, 46512, as it returned from Broomhill, the last station on the line, I caught this train back into Aviemore, returning to Broomhill this time for the full journey. Returning to Aviemore for the second time, I visited the depot and was very kindly shown around and had chance to see the Caley No. 828, in Caledonian Railway blue livery at close quarters as I had been unlucky as it wasn’t running on the day of my visit, such a magnificent locomotive though now it’s been fully restored and also on shed undergoing restoration was the oldest Black 5 in preservation Stanier LMS Class 5 number 5025, awaiting for Mr Riley to finish off the boiler.

By the time I returned to Aviemore railway station, the last train of the day was just about to depart, so I took a third trip up to the line to Broomhill and managed to catch up with the Diner at Boat of Garten, behind resident class 31 diesel locomotive D5862 (31327), on her way back down the line.

Returning from Broomhill into Aviemore again, I had twenty minutes to spare before the next train back down to Glasgow Queen Street, courtesy of a Scotrail Class 170 DMU. I walked across the city to Glasgow Central station and was pleasantly surprised to find plenty of locomotive activity which included the Royal Scotsman being top and tailed by class 66`s, 66743, 66746 and no less than two Caledonia Sleepers on the platforms, Class 73 73971, and Class 92`s, 92023, 92038, 92043, an amazing line up.

I later took tea in the Crystal Palace along with a few local ales, before retiring to the Euro Hostel just around the corner from Central station, a great hostel that I`ve stayed in many times. I again slept very well.

https://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1840805719300272&type=3&fb_dtsg_ag=AdzbFHaAc67QaTtD8jyDwDA-b4RADs8iAcwAF2VWtlFHQw:Adw-CRmEoKfPxFbntt8tlS8-mDqCWEcZd5ehaq5yddzcGg

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Glasgow, Kilmarnock, Carlisle and Preston. (Day 4). Monday 20th August 2018.

My last day in Scotland and I was up showered and out of the Euro Hostel for 06.30 and walked over to Glasgow Queen Street for the rush hour as I was hoping to catch up with one of the new Class 385 electric EMU`s. Sets numbers 003 and 104 were being run in on passenger duties, the only two sets operating at the time of my visit. It also seemed strange to see Class 350 electrics running into Queen Street, the dawn of a new era.

I took breakfast in the Counting House and then walked back through the city to Glasgow Central for a bit more photting. Freightliner Class 90 arrived with the Caledonian Sleeper, 90045 with Class 92033 pulling the ECS back into Polmadie. In fact, my mate Alfie Ellis had arrived overnight on the sleeper from London, so we caught up and had a brew together, before going our separate ways.

I decided to return to Manchester on the Glasgow and Southwestern route via Kilmarnock and stopped over at Kilmarnock for an hour or so. Kilmarnock is a well preserve railway station with a visitor’s hub, a large library with books for sale and an excellent café, and with one of the oldest whisky shops opposite. I had to try one or two more samples for the train journey home, so treated myself to a few rare malts.

I also got talking to the station master, who very kindly gave me a large bag full of rail related magazines, plus a few freebies from the Hub, my rucksack was quite heavy as I left the station.

The journey to Carlisle was again a pleasant one, traversing Scotland’s lowlands, On arrival into Carlisle I was treated to a Class 57 Thunderbird parked up against the wall and a Class 68 passing through with a southbound freight.

At Carlisle I boarded a Virgin Pendolino as far as Preston, and at Preston a Northern Class 319 directly into Manchester Piccadilly, it had been a great trip, but like all good things it had come to an end for another weekend. Many thanks for reading.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1841883352525842&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester, Crewe and the Foxfield Railway. Saturday 25th August 2018.

A more leisurely trip this Saturday, driving down to Manchester Piccadilly and catching a 07.30 Virgin Pendolino as far as Stoke, with a change for an EMT Dogbox to Blythe Bridge and a short walk up the hill to the Foxfield Railway. A traditional Oat Cake breakfast with locally source Staffordshire cheese made to perfection, you really can`t visit the Potteries without eating Oat Cakes, always try the local dishes first.

It was a normal running day with Bagnall Wolstanton number 3 operating and I didn’t realise at the time, but I`d gate-crashed a driver experience trip, with a chap celebrating his 60th which his family had treated him to, and they had all come along to ride behind the train, he did a good job too. So, I took a few photographed of him beside the loco and emailed them to his daughter for memories of the day.

The Foxfield is a lovely, formerly industrial railway with an excellent museum and layout, loco sheds, a 1 in 19 bank which is the steepest standard gauge adhesion incline in the country and it runs for 3.5 miles between Blythe Bridge Cavendish Road and Foxfield Colliery in the village of Dilhorne. Its always a joy to visit, especially on steam galas when you can pho freight trains clagging up the bank. I took one return trip down the line before returning to Blythe Bridge and catching another EMT Dogbox to Crewe.

Crewe produced the goods for me, one of the new Transpennine liveried Stadler UKlites number 68032 was sat in platform 10 on driver training, running light engine up to Wavertree Junction and back and running alternatively with sister locomotive in DRS plain blue livery was number 68031.

Other locomotives were on the station were Thunderbird Class 57 57302, “Pride of Cheshire”, and 67010 in red Schenker livery on an Arriva Holyhead working. So, it was a productive visit. I returned back into Manchester Piccadilly on a Virgin Pendolino arriving by 17.00 having had a short day by my standards, but a good one all the same.

http://foxfieldrailway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...dyebjvf2yO-V-JmlANA3nKPbr_-PUvgv071OV8eAQClVg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Lots of great trips there. Would love to go on the preserved lines in Scotland some day.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Just had a catch up on this thread.

The usual entertaining read, and a reminder that the Foxfield and Dufftown Railways still require a visit from me (to say nothing of the museum at Threlkeld, which I'd not heard of previously).