Shred`s UK trips.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by shredder1, 28 Mar 2017.

1. shredder1

shredder1 Established Member

Ooops, sorry the the ends of the month, not tomorrow

2. AnthonyRail

AnthonyRail Member

One of these?
    47 375
    ~ BR: Monastral Blue (Standard)
    ~ BR: Trainload (Distribution)
    ~ Post-BR: RfD (revised)
    ~ Post-BR: Fragonset
    ~ Post-BR: FMR (black)
    ~ Post-BR: Advenza Freight
    ~ Post-BR: Continental Railway Solution Kft. (Maroon)

3. AnthonyRail

AnthonyRail Member

Is it not 2moro?
    Weardale Railway, Diesel Gala April 12-14

Friday April 12 to Sunday April 14 will see the Weardale Railway hold its annual diesel gala, featuring five members of the BARS fleet and maybe a couple of surprises as well!
    31190 will be making its first gala appearance in its new Golden Ochre livery and will be supported by Network Rail yellow 31465 and blue-liveried pair 31106 and 31459. Also appearing for the final time at Weardale will be 31285.

4. shredder1

I seem to have got mixed up somewhere, ah never mind, busy this weekend so needed to stay local anyway

5. shredder1

North West. Saturday 13th April 2019.

I decided to stay relatively local this Saturday, The Great Central railway were holding a diesel gala, which I did consider attending, but changed my mind. My original intention was to see what was happening in Carlisle, so I booked a ticket and went via Wigan on a Virgin Pendolino. We only got as far as Lancaster however and were stopped for a good half hour, before being aborted and returned to Preston, apparently the train in front of us had shed its fuel over both tracks, the West Coast Main Line was closed at that point and the fire brigade called out.

I didn’t have a particularly early start on Saturday morning, so on returning to Preston I too aborted my trip to Carlisle and instead decided to chase a special to Blackpool, this was the Railway Touring Company operating a West Coast Railways rake hauled by Jubilee class 5690 (BR No. 45690) Leander and Les Ross/Peter Pan Class-86 25kV/AC Electric Locomotive 86259.

On returning to Preston, the special was about to leave for Blackpool, with the class 86 leading and Leander facing backwards on the rear. I followed the special into Blackpool and found it parked up for a few hours in one of the platforms while the passengers visited the town, the class 86 was detached from the train at Blackpool.

This was my first visit to Blackpool since electrifications had taken place, the station seems a lot more clinical now the semaphores and signal box has been removed. Surprisingly I didn’t get hassled for taking photographs this time either, Blackpool has been notorious for its anti-photographer staff over the years, on my last visit I`d simply taken a photograph of the train I`d arrived on when some small Scottish balding twit started reading me the riot act, I simply said interesting sub culture and walked on past him, I don`t think the inhabitant had grasped what I was actually saying, bless.

The special was due to return at 14.05 so I caught a train to Poulton Le Fylde in front of it, and waited for it to pass though. I managed a few good photographs in the sun, as it was a nice day, some time later the Class 86 passed through light engine and I later saw her parked up at Preston.

I met up with a few friends at Preston and had a walk out to HW Guitar shop which is sadly due to move back to the Bolton shop to consolidate business, I took an early tea in Preston before returning to Manchester. It hadn’t been a bad day despite the aborted Carlisle trip.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2160039954043512&type=3

6. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

So that makes two of us in Blackpool yesterday.

The car park of Mecca Bingo was a good spot for photographing Leander - as long as you could see over the wall.

There were a lot of people stood around waiting to photograph the ecs back to Preston that didn't run. They had a long wait for the return tour!

7. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

That's the one! It's been 11 years since I did the relevant gala, far too long to remember such detail :lol:

Shred, sounds like you still had fun despite the issues with trying to get to Carlisle. Mention of Blackpool has reminded me I *still* haven't been to Pleasure Beach!

8. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Or Norbreck North ;)

9. Techniquest

So my memory wasn't wrong, there is a new tram shack to get! I must remember to add 017 and 018 to the list of trams up there I haven't had.

10. shredder1

Yes I went round to the Mecca car park and one chap very kindly let me use his steps.

11. shredder1

Blackpool Pleasure Beach, not been there for years, the Ghost Train was nearly as scarey as going round the Oldham loop on a Pacer, o_O

12. Techniquest

I can't remember what the Oldham Loop was like too clearly on a 142, as I did it in early 2004. 15 years ago now :shock:

13. Andy Pacer

Andy Pacer Member

I was also in Blackpool on Saturday having gone up on the 0721 Pendolino service from Birmingham New Street. The went from Blackpool South to Preston and passed the 86 and its following kettle on the mainline before, as you did, saw the 86 parked up in Preston later that afternoon. There was a good deal of distruption in Preston which must have been due to the fuel issue, I caught a one hour late running Northern 158 up to Lancaster on its way to Windermere.

14. shredder1

Its Metrolink now, but back to double track

15. shredder1

Yes my visit was more by chance, but I met a lot of friends there, some on the trip

16. shredder1

Didcot Railway Centre, the Impossible Dream. Good Friday 19th April 2019.

Saint Class No. 2999 'Lady of Legend'

The Great Western Railway 'Saint' class locomotives, introduced by G J Churchward in 1902, represented one of the most important steps forward in railway traction of the 20th century. The class incorporated many revolutionary advances in design and the 'Saints' are now acknowledged to have had a profound influence on almost every aspect of subsequent steam locomotive development,

Unfortunately, no example was saved for preservation, the final engine, No. 2920 Saint David, being withdrawn from service and scrapped in 1953, ending a distinguished half century of work by the class.

Since 2004 the Great Western Society has been working to re-create an example of this iconic class using the opportunities provided by GWR standardisation and 'Hall' class 4-6-0 No. 4942 Maindy Hall purchased from Barry Scrapyard by the GWS in 1974 with the specific intention of using it as the basis for a new 'Saint'. The Saint returned to steam in 2019. (Source, http://www.thesaintproject.co.uk/)

I`d never seen a Great Western Saint before, the last one was scrapped from BR circa 1953, I was 2 at the time, so far too young to go toddling down to the Western Region.

Good Friday, It was an early start and after a drive down into Manchester, I was on the 05.11 Cross Country Voyager service down as far as Oxford with a quick change for Didcot. I was in luck with my 5-minute Oxford change and the Easter Highlander came in heading north behind DRS Cat 68033.

The morning was glorious and for a bank holiday, Good Friday it was also quite busy with 3 class 70`s going through Didcot on the avoiding line and one of the newly named Class 66`s 66005, Maritime “Intermodal One”, parking up outside the station.

The GWR Museum however didn’t open until 10.00am and I was second in the queue and a lot faster than the guy in front of me, so I managed to get quite a few veg free shots before the crowds arrived.

In steam we had, Saint Class No. 2999 'Lady of Legend', Great Western Railway (GWR) 6000 Class 6023 King Edward II and Steam Railmotor vehicle No. 93 of the 1930s, together with Auto Trailer No. 92.

I took a few rides behind all three exhibits and had a fantastic visit, always lots to see at Didcot and I returned to Oxford after 16.00 with a direct Cross Country Voyager back into Manchester Piccadilly, arriving home for around 19.00. A big well done to all involved at the GWR Museum Didcot.

http://www.thesaintproject.co.uk/

https://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2172819339432240&type=3

17. AnthonyRail

AnthonyRail Member

Isn’t The sighting of a Saint and a King on Good Friday in the bible?

Great pictures, I enjoyed 6023 on the Dartmouth railway last year. The blue is a stunning livery.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2019 at 18:12
  18. shredder1

Thanks very much Anthony, yes I believe you are right, lol