• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Carlisle looks good for trains. Hoping you stop on route to Scotland next year.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester, York and the NRM. Saturday 30th November 2019.

I thought I`d have a run up to York and visit the National Railway Museum, as it had been a few years since I was over there, and I also thought I`d catch up with the Transpennine Cats.

I drove down to Crumpsall tram stop and took the first tram out to Manchester Victoria, it was a very cold and frosty morning. I went to the ticket office to buy a day return to York as the train was already in the platforms, but the ticket office was closed, so I went to the machine, but all it would sell me was a Northern ticket and I wanted an any train ticket, the only other ticket machine was out of order. So I raced to the platform and told the dispatcher what had happened and that I couldn’t buy a ticket, he said that’s all right, you can have a word with the guard to see if he will let you buy one on the train, but you can`t get on this train now as I`m dispatching it now, and he did, so I missed the train. Well done Manchester Victoria for your total incompetence.

The ticket office eventually opened at 06.30 and I bought a ticket and caught a later train, arriving in York just after 08.30. Took a few pictures of what was parked up, with included 3 class 68`s and a class 37, plus a class 155 working on the Hull services.
It was a very cold morning though, so I decided to walk into the City and get some breakfast, and despite being on a diet, I had a Wetherspoon`s full English in the Punchbowl.

Returning to the platforms, I noticed a few NOVA 1`s operating both branded and unbranded examples, and I didnt manage to get a picture of any of them My next move was a visit to the Railway Museum. We are so lucky having a museum of this standard in the UK, and a free facility also of course, which makes it a great family day out. I was more of less first in the queue and made a mad dash to the Great Hall to get some early morning pictures before Mr and Mrs Zombie and the kids got in there, a quick look around all the exhibitions and model railway and then I returned to the railway station for the first charter of the day, double headed class 50`s, working an Ealing Broadway to Newcastle special.

We were all lined up ready for her arrival, when at the last minute a platform change occurred, so we had to rush round to the underpass to another platform, but the lighting wasn’t very good, with the sun more or less facing us head on, so it was just a case of getting what pictures we could.
I returned to the Railway Museum to see what I`d missed the first time round and later returned to the Railway Station for the next charter, which should have been A4 Union of South Africa, but she had apparently failed, so a West Coast class 47 pulled the train in. the Duchess of Sutherland however was taking the charter back, later in the evening and she later passed through the station making her way to the turntable at Holgate ready for the return trip.

I met up with quite a few friends, two mates from the Czech Grumpy trip`s, including Gary Smith, who I bump into all over the World. A few friends from the RRPG were also out in force. I later returned on a TPE Class 185, direct to Manchester Victoria, sleeping most of the return journey, it was a great day out through with plenty of variety.

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2588734617840708&type=3

Last edited:

AnthonyRail

Established Member
50s were on Bristol temple meads to Newcastle tour. Brilliant pictures.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway and Waterfoot Tunnels. Sunday 1st December 2019.

Sunday morning and I`m in the gym for 08.00 for an hour and a half`s workout and then had the rest of the day spare, so decided to have a run up to the East Lancs Railway to see how the Santa`s were getting along. Bury town centre`s not bad on a Saturday with parking only being £1.00 all day, although I`ve yet to see a traffic warden working in the town on a Sunday.

I started off at Bolton Street Station, two Santa`s were running from Bolton Street to Rawtenstall, top and tailed steam and diesel, the recently refurbished Standard 4, 80097 with Class 33109 operating on one train and City of Wells with Peak Class 45108 and a DMU rake working the Heywood line.

I drove up to Ramsbottom to photograph them both working and later Rawtenstall. At this point I decided to have a walk through the recently reopened Newchurch number 1 tunnel, which is located on the former track bed of the line as it once continued from Rawtenstall up the valley into Bacup. It’s now part of a cycle track and bridleway across East Lancashire.

I later returned to Heywood to photograph the DMU working before driving home.

“Four years after the East Lancashire Railway had first pulled into Waterfoot, an extension was opened eastwards through the Thrutch Gorge, hauling Bacup into the railway age. It was the autumn of 1852. The single line crossed the River Irwell before entering Newchurch No.1 Tunnel, the shorter of two at 162 yards. After emerging onto a ledge cut beneath into a cliff-face, trains buried their way underground again for 290 yards, through No.2. As traffic pressures increased, another line was added in 1880. This necessitated the boring of a third tunnel to accommodate the westbound Up line. Work on it began early in 1878. Unlike its straight neighbours, this one headed deeper into the rock, curving south and then north. Thrutch Tunnel runs for 592 yards with its portals sitting alongside the outermost entrances of the Newchurch pair. As part of this exercise, an adit was cut at right angles into Thrutch’s middle, providing access from the ledge between the two older tunnels. The service from Bacup to Bury was frequent. From 1956, DMUs shuttled back and forth every half hour. Despite this, Dr Beeching deemed the line surplus to requirements and the trains ground to a halt on 5th December 1966” (Source, Forgotten Relics website).

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17900076.waterfoot-tunnel-reopening-creates-new-route-east-lancashire-cyclists/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester, Liverpool and Birkenhead. Monday 2nd December 2019.

Barry the Bass phoned me last night as he couldn’t make band practice, so I had another free day. I thought I`d continue my quest into the world of Nova`s, 195`s and 133`s and what better place to go than Liverpool, although they probably all pass-through Manchester, I wanted a change of scenery.

I`m usually in the gym, (Gladiator Training School), for 06.00 on Monday mornings, catching up with the band at 10.00, but this time I was on the platforms of Manchester Piccadilly for 06.00 and waiting for a train to take me to Liverpool Lime Street and I was treated to a new class 195 and not a bad ride either.

I arrived in to Liverpool just after 08.10 and took a full English in the North Western, Wetherspoons, that’s attached to the railway station, so not only did I miss the gym, I also had an unhealthy breakfast, but it did taste good and it was cold. I was back on the platforms in time for the arrival of the first NOVA` 1 on an Edinburgh working, unbranded too. I also caught up with a number of the new class 331`s, I`ve yet to ride one of those, they appeared to be working on the Blackpool services.

After a few phots around Lime Street I purchased a Day Tripper ticket and headed underground to Birkenhead Hamilton Square and Central and then Green Lane, stations that have always interested me. I returned to Moorfields and took a train out to Kirkdale. The new Stadler depot, (built on the site of Bank Hall locomotive depot), is now up and presumably awaiting the new stock as the Mersey Rail classes 507`s and 508`s are withdrawn.

I later returned to Liverpool Central Low level, built in the shell of Liverpool Central High Level station, and from there I walked around the corner back into Lime Street Station in time to see the arrival of another NOVA 1`, which was quickly followed by a NOVA `3 with 68030 “Black Douglas” providing the motive power and my chance to catch this train back into Manchester Victoria as it was working the Scarborough service.

My first Transpennine Cat and it was a lovely ride too, the future looks good with these things roaring across the Pennines, a nice return to loco hauled stock again. I next caught a Bury bound Metrolink tram back to where I`d left the car at Crumpsall and from there I drove straight to the gym, as I was feeling a bit guilty, a good session though, before returning home after another busy day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2593180240729479&type=3

Last edited:

talerddig

Aberystwyth. Saturday 2nd November 2019.

No events on this weekend, but I noticed Transport for Wales had a Club 50 ticket on offer, I`d never used one of those before, but used to use the Arrive Club 55`s a few years ago. The rules on the new Club 50 however have changed in that you have to use the return portion of you ticket on the same day as you start the journey, and you can no longer use other rail company trains that travel on the same lines, plus it’s a lot more expensive now at £29. Not bad value though if you are travelling a distance.

I checked TfW route maps and first decided on a run up to Holyhead, but noticed bus replacement services were operating, because of planned engineering works, so my second choice was Aberystwyth because it has a funicular and one I`d never visited before. I also noticed on the Vale of Rheidol website the following information, “Sorry there are no trains running today, Aberystwyth, Booking Office and shop open. Workshop Tours please enquire at booking office”. So great I thought, I can do the funicular and also have a workshop tour on the VoR.

I was up at 03.30 and drove down to Manchester Piccadilly to catch the 05.11 Cross Country Voyage to Southampton alighting at Crewe, this was the first train I could catch to get me down to Aberystwyth for 09.30. I booked my £29 TfW Club 50 ticket, (to Pwllheli, as I wanted a run up the Cambrian Coast line after my Aberystwyth trip, time permitting), plus another £9 to get me down to Crewe on the Cross Country voyager now the rules have changed, I also booked an addition ticket from Machynlleth to Aberystwyth return, £4.80, so it was becoming more expensive, but a good day out was planned.

The day started going wrong early when I realised I`d knocked the autofocus button off on my camera, and didn’t find out until I was at Shrewsbury, by which time I`d lost a few pictures, including a Class 56 at Shrewsbury on engineering work. I changed trains at Crewe and Shrewsbury, where I had a horrible sausage muffin for breakfast from Starbucks with a latte which cost over £7 quid., (I`ll starve next time). I then caught a direct TfW service into Aberystwyth.

On arrival, I made my way out to the Funicular Railway and I was very impressed, it climbs Constitution Hill, quite high above the town and offers some excellent photographic opportunities from the top, its actually the longest electric powered rope hauled funicular in Britain and only £3.50 for a senior return journey. I took a latte at the café at the top and waited for the gift shop on the top of the hill to open at 11.00pm. It was quite nice inside and it had a children’s model railway, with the addition of a model of the funicular. They didn’t sell fridge magnet totems, but they did sell the keyring ticket magnets, so that’s another one for the fridge.

I returned to the town and went out to visit the Vale of Rheidol Railway for the workshop tour, but was told they didn’t run workshop tours when the railway wasn’t running, so I explained the wording on the website, and the chap in the shop was very apologetic and said he would have a word with those in charge of the website. So, I didn’t see any locos, but did buy a Devils Bridge fridge magnet which I didn’t get on my last visit.

I returned to the town to see if they had a guitar shop, surprisingly they did, although it is a university town. I needed a strap for my new Gibson Explorer, but they didn’t have any decent ones and only as few guitars in stock, they did however have a second-hand PRS Santana SE in Tobacco Sunburst, a Korean model, (the Korean`s have never been noted for building great guitars, but they have been improving in recent years), going for £375, it was in excellent condition and I plugged it in and ran it through its spaces, quite an impressive guitar for the price and for saying its Korean built under license, it played well, but these things are only £480 new, so no great deal really.

I had lunch at the large chip shop facing the station, Express Fish and Chips and later arrived on the platforms in time for the 12.30 back to Machynlleth. After waiting 5 minutes or so, the board came up saying it was cancelled and the next train would be 13.30, great. I went to the bus station next door and was just in time for a bus to Machynlleth, they didn’t except cancelled train tickets, (so much for integrated transport), and it cost me another £4.80 on the bus, more that a return ticket on the train in fact.

I eventually arrived at Machynlleth railway station and found out that trains were only going as far as Barmouth and then a replacement bus service was operating up to Pwllheli, so I aborted my trip, another washed out weekend, still not a bad day. I caught a TfW back to Shrewsbury and then a TfW Class 175, still in old Arrival colours, back directly to Manchester Piccadilly, arriving at 17.15 and after running down to Piccadilly Garden`s and into Dawson’s Guitar shop, just before it closed at 17.30, I picked up a Gibson guitar strap, phew! After the drive back home, I was in the house for 18.40, so despite being my second wash out in two weeks, it wasn’t a bad trip really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberystwyth_Cliff_Railway

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2525723404141830&type=3

VOR shed tours. We try and provide them whenever the shed is open, but it does depend on staff availability, not everyone being genned up on the railway history - past, present and future. In the summer, set times are given for this 10.45 and 14.15, to allow the staff a 15 minute window following departure to sort out anything. Outside of that time, they don't normally run, because it's not a dedicated resource for this.

It's not ideal, but neither at present are we set up with a museum and dedicated staff. That is coming, but there's a lot going on to facilitate that first. A phone call on the day isn't a bad thing, as you can check availability and we know you're coming.

shredder1

Established Member
Thats great, many thanks for the feedback, you do what you can of course, I`ll be back in the summer anyway, its been a while since I last travelled the line.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
South Pennine Day Rover and Ghost Train to Goole. Saturday 7th December 2019.

Another early start, up at 05.00 for the first tram out, the ticket office at Manchester Victoria was open this time, so I bought a South Pennine day rover ticket, plus a return ticket from Castleford to Goole, as I wanted to travel on the ghost train that evening.

I boarded a Sprinter directly into Leeds, which went via Hebden Bridge and Dewsbury. After a few early morning photographs, I next caught a Pacer out to Huddersfield via Bradford and Halifax. I`d woken up in the morning with a bit of a cough so headed into Huddersfield town centre to buy a box of Contact from Boots chemist, they usually work for me, but I also noticed a Wimpy restaurant, I don’t see many of those around these days, we used to have lots in the UK, but McDonalds sort of saw then off in the 1970`s, so I thought I`d try the Wimpy`s for breakfast. The diet was out of the window for the second time this week, but I couldn’t resist an International Brunch, which more or less set me up for the day.

Returning to Huddersfield railway station I was just in time for an unbranded Nova 1 on its way to Edinburgh, I caught it as far as Leeds, and it was actually my first ride on a NOVA 1, impressive. Next was a ride down to Sheffield via the Dearne Valley line for an hour or so, and then returning to Leeds on an express service via Barnsley and Wakefield Kirkgate.

Time to tea in Leeds while I waited for the Goole ghost train. I walked out to a Pizza house, which wasn’t too bad, the girl behind the counter asked me did I want my pizza cut in half or in 4 pieces, I said in half please as I couldn’t eat 4 pieces, she said they are both the same, so I had to explain it was a joke.
Leeds station was very busy on Saturday night, I suppose they are sorry Leeds Central station was closed now, it would have been ideal for the extra capacity. Platform 17B came up on the boards for the Goole train at 17.58 and the platform was packed as 2 other trains were also using it within minutes of each other. So, I caught the first train out, which was a Sheffield service via Castleford and a Pacer, I alighted at Castleford and waited for the Goole Ghost Train which came behind it.

The train followed the route to Knottingley, Pontefract Monkhill, Whitley Bridge, Hensall, Snaith, Rawcliffe and into Goole, arriving at 19.08 and leaving again for the return journey at 19.44, which got me back into Leeds for 20.52. I was intime for the delayed TPE 21.05 (21.15) direct to Manchester Victoria and with a short tram journey to the car at Crumpsall, I was back in the house for 22.30, a long day, but a satisfying one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_train

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2607357422645094&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
South Pennine Day Rover 2. Saturday 14th December 2019.

My second weekend on a South Pennine Rover, lots of things to photograph in the region as change takes place. Coming in are the Nova`s and Azuma`s, CAF 331`s and 195`s and going out are the HST`s, Pacers and class 91`s, so plenty to go at.

I was up at 05.00 and driving towards Crumpsall Metrolink station for the first tram out at 06.07. Arriving at Manchester Victoria just after 06.15 and in time for the 06.22 Northern class 195 service to Leeds via Bradford Interchange. The guard sold me the South Pennine Rover ticket on the train because the ticket office at Manchester Victoria doesn’t open until 06.30 and the ticket machines don`t appear to issue rover tickets. The new class 195 DMU was however cold, in fact freezing and I needed a hot drink by the time I arrived into Leeds.

I took a number of photographs around Leeds station, noting a class 321 EMU in the station, nice to see these still working at the moment, now the new class 331`s have taken over most of the Leeds-Doncaster workings. I was also interested in photographing any Class 333 EMU`s still carrying the old Metro Red-Blue livery, now that some are having full Northern colours.

My next move was to catch a TPE Class 185 to Huddersfield, I always find Huddersfield a very photogenic railway station and I wanted to travel the Huddersfield to Sheffield line via Penistone, as I have a soft spot for this route and it had been a few years since I had been on the line. I was treated to a Pacer 142 two car DMU on the 11.10. However, before leaving Huddersfield, I walked into the town and took breakfast again at Whimpy`s, another International Brunch, they must think I`m becoming a regular. Not the healthiest of meals, but it was soon burned off on such a cold day.

One of the villages en route between Huddersfield and Sheffield is Honley, which had its Girls’ choir singing carols on Huddersfield station platforms, and they joined me for the ride down the line to Sheffield, they were quite good really and also treated us all to a rendition of carols on the train, which helped keep me awake on the journey. The two car Pacer however was full and standing by the time it reached Chapeltown, South Yorkshire, dangerously over crowded and sadly many potential rail users couldn’t even squeeze on and the line is on an hourly timetable.

I returned from Sheffield on a Pacer Class 144 DMU which used the Dearne Valley line to take me to Wakefield Westgate station, from where I caught a class 150 Sprinter in LMR livery down to Wakefield`s second railway station, Kirkgate, before changing on to another Pacer Class 142 DMU back to Leeds via Castleford and as the train was pulling out of Normanton I notice a class 37 in the sidings in Rail Operators Group livery, a shame because it would have made a great picture.

After returning to Leeds again and a few more phots around the station I caught a TPE class 185 Manchester Airport service, I travelled through Manchester Victoria over the Ordsall Chord and alighted at Manchester Piccadilly, before catching a Metrolink tram back to my car. Another enjoyable day around Yorkshire and the start of Christmas next weekend when I`ll be heading down south for a week.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pra5d5c70a040002003ffec51cbc6f81.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2622357254478444&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
East Anglian 3-Day rover, (Day 1). Saturday 21st December 2019.

I spent just over a week for the Christmas period away, first traveling down to London and up to Cambridge where I bought a 3-day rover ticket covering East Anglia, and a trip over to the Marston Vale line before spending Christmas with my son. I then travelled over to Bristol to stay with a friend for a few days before returning to Manchester.

Saturday morning and I was up at 05.00 to catch an early bus into Manchester for the 06.35 Pendolino from Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston and on arrival in the Capital caught up with the Caledonian Sleeper and two class 92s.

I next walked across to Kings Cross, which is much quicker than catching the underground, still a few class 91`s operating, but their days are now numbered as the Azuma`s take over. I caught a direct service to Cambridge and checked in at the YHA hostel for the next two nights and on returning to the railway station I purchased an Anglian Plus 3-day rover ticket, which at £31 with a rail card is great value.

I then caught a Sprinter 156 to Ipswich, always a good loco destination with the stabling point being at the side of the station platforms. On the point were two class 86`s a number of class 66`s and a class 70. I later caught the 13.44 from Ipswich to Norwich but alighted at Stowmarket as I noted a class 66 and 37 in the sidings and wanted to try to get some photographs, returning to the station I caught the 14.47 into Norwich.

Norwich was productive apart from the regular class 90 workings on the Liverpool Street services, in the sidings were 3 class 37`s and a good selection of the new class 755`s which appear to have taken over most of the Anglian services now.

As the light left the sky, the cold began to bite, so I treated myself to a hot Cornish Pasty on the station. I left Norwich on the 16.27 Stanstead service operated by a CAF class 755 and my first ride on them, alighting at Cambridge for my bed for the night, it had been a long day, but a very satisfying one and I slept well that night.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2656852674362235&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
East Anglian 3-Day Rover, (Day 2). Sunday 22nd December 2019.

I spent just over a week for the Christmas period away, first traveling down to London and up to Cambridge where I bought a 3-day rover ticket covering East Anglia, and a trip over to the Marston Vale line before spending Christmas with my son. I then travelled over to Bristol to stay with a friend for a few days before returning to Manchester.

A slightly later start with breakfast taken on the railway station at Cambridge and the first train towards Ipswich was not until 09.10 this being a Sunday. I was heading for the East Anglian Railway Museum at Chappel and Wakes Colne and by catching the 09.10 I still had to change at Ipswich,
Colchester, and Marks Tey with some tight timings, however, I made every one of them though and arrived at Chappel and Wakes Colne for 11.22, but hadn’t read the website properly and only realised as I alighted at my destination that the Railway was running a Thomas Event.

The event was however quite good with 3 different trains operating up and down the yard, it was very busy, but I did manage to get a few photographs away from the crowds and the Railway does have an excellent collection of locomotives, DMU`s, artefacts and there was also a model railway exhibition taking place with some really good layouts operating, so plenty to see and do.

I spent a few hours on the site and had a few rides on the trains operating before making my way back to Marks Tey and then Ipswich, which had a larger selection of locomotives on the point than the day before, these included 9 class 66`s, 4 class 86`s and 2 class 70`s.

I had a bite to eat at Ipswich, in the station which has one of the most expensive Greggs I have ever been in, coffee at £3.50, a few shops away inside the station buildings though was a Smiths selling coffee and a bun for 99 pence.

It had been a few years since I`d travelled up the line from Ipswich to Lowestoft and I noted that a train was due, so decided to catch it. I was hoping for one of the new CAF Class 755`s that I`d seen operating on the line, but a class 170 turned up instead. It was however a pleasant ride and we arrived into Lowestoft just as it was going dark. A CAF class 755 did however arrive from Norwich, which I thought I would have to change too, but instead, the Class 170 continued onto Norwich.

I again caught a CAF class 755 from Norwich back to Cambridge after another good day around East Anglian and returned for the second night to the YHA and a few ales in the bar before retiring to my bed.

https://www.earm.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2657697094277793&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
East Anglian 3-Day Rover, (Day 3). Monday 23rd December 2019.

My final day on the Anglian Plus 3-day pass and another earlier start with breakfast on Cambridge station again, I caught the 08.19 CAF Class 755 directly to Norwich for my final day chasing the Greater Anglian Class 90`s before they finish. I left my large rucksack at the YHA Cambridge in one of the lockers, to save me humping it around all day.

I chose to have a ride out to Great Yarmouth from Norwich, again now operated by the CAF Class 755`s, I originally planned to catch the 10.36, but this was cancelled so I had to catch the later 11.36. After taking a few photographs of Great Yarmouth`s Semaphores and signal box, I returned to Norwich on the same train.

I later took a Class 90 down to Ipswich to see what had changed on the stabling point, it wasn’t as busy for a week day, but the 4 class 86`s were still around along with another class 70 and a few class 66`s, not much freight through the station though.

I returned from Ipswich to Cambridge and collected my rucksack from the YHA hostel and then took a train down to Hitchin and a change up to Sandy to my son`s, as I was spending Christmas with my southern part of the family. It had been an enjoyable 3 days on the Anglian Plus pass and I`d done everything I intended doing. It was nice to catch up with my son again.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2658010550913114&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Marston Vale Line, (Day 4). Tuesday 24th December 2019.

I had a spare day while at my son`s in Sandy, as they didn’t have any plans to go anywhere, so I hopped on the local bus to Bedford to sample the Marston Vale Class 230 Vivarail converted from London Underground D78 stock, 3 units were converted, but one has since been used for spares. I`d planned for some time to travel on these units and this day being Christmas Eve gave me the ideal opportunity.

I walked down the river to Bedford St Johns, which is where the line ended on my last trip, which must have been in the late 1970`s as I didn’t realise, they had now extended the line into Bedford Midland station. I had an enjoyable ride through the Vale to Bletchley and back. The old depot at Bletchley still stands but appeared to be empty these days, surprisingly the old steam depot at Bedford is also still standing also.

It was a short day by my standards, but I didn’t want to miss the last bus from Sandy to Bedford as I believed with it being Christmas Eve, they might finish by 16.00 and I didn’t want to phone my son to come out and pick me up. It was however nice to do the line again and sample the converted former London Underground stock, which provided a good ride.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_230

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2658304020883767&type=3

Sandy to Bristol Parkway, (Day 5). Saturday 28th December 2019.

The end of my visit to my son`s and I was heading from Sandy to Bristol to catch up with a friend. I caught a Thameslink Class 700 to St Pancras International underground station and walked over the Kings Cross. I next took the underground directly to Paddington and boarded one of the new TFL class 345`s to Reading, another first on these trains and not a bad ride, but with facing seats like standard underground stock.

I then boarded a Great Western IET class 800 to Didcot, where I was lucky to catch up with a Class 60092 on tanks in DB livery, an unusual working on a Saturday apparently and parked in the yard was Maritime Class 66162 Intermodal 5 DB.

I caught another Great Western IET via Bath to Bristol Temple Meads and later a Cross Country Voyager to Bristol Parkway and a bus to my friends for a few nights.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2659646647416171&type=3

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Bristol Parkway to Manchester, (Day 6). Monday 30th December 2019.

Homeward bound, I left my friend in Downend Bristol and took a bus to Bristol Parkway. A number of Freightliner class 66`s were parked up on the stabling point, but you couldn’t get any photographs of them as waggons were parked across the point.

I caught a Great Western IET to Didcot Parkway with a quick change for a Turbo to Oxford. I was rewarded at Oxford with another Maritime Class 66090 “Intermodal Six DB” southbound. My next train was a Cross Country voyager direct to Manchester Piccadilly via Birmingham and the bus home, it had been a great Christmas break, and I always feel sad leaving my son, it’s difficult once the kids have grown up and left home, especially when you have been very close to them, but always good to get back to your own bed. Many thanks for reading and Happy New Year to everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2659807484066754&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Doncaster and South Pennine Day Rover. Saturday 4th January 2020.

After a short week back at work, it was weekend again and the first trip of 2020. With no events happening I decided to have a run over to Doncaster and give my mate Grimsby Steve a ring to see if he fancied meeting up. I set the alarm for 05.00 and was on the 07.18 from Manchester Piccadilly direct to Doncaster on a class 185 TPE Cleethorpes service. I`d slept for most of the journey.

On alighting at Doncaster I went into Starbucks on the platform for an expensive coffee to revive myself, I sat down organised myself and asked the lad behind the counter if he could put the coffee in a take-out cup as I was going out on the platform, he said it would be an extra 5 pence for a take away cup, which I thought was a bit cheeky as I`d already been charged over £3 for the coffee, so I walked out with the pot cup in my hand and sat outside the café. Strangely, this kid followed me out and said I couldn’t take the cup outside, I said I`d return it once I`d finished, but he said if I didn’t take it back right away, he`d call one of the station staff, so I told him to call one them. He just went inside the cafe and another lad came out and just stood there while I drank my coffee, once I`d finished I handed him the cup back and said thanks.

I met Steve on the platform and I had also phoned my mate Rob, who was now living in Yorkshire, Rob caught up with us later. Not much freight moving really, in fact it was the slowest I`d seen it, I think we had 3 Class 66`s through and that was it, the 67 Thunderbird was parked up under the footbridge and an unnumbered class 47 ex RES livery in part undercoat was in the works yard and a couple of Colas class 56`s parked up down near the road bridge. Still a few Class 91`s operating, but mainly Azuma`s now through Doncaster.

Rob arrived just after 11.00 and at lunchtime the 3 of us went for lunch in the Turkish, Frenchgate Café, we must be regulars there now, great food though and plenty of it. We left Steve just after 14.00 as he was driving back to Grimsby, Rob and I boarded the 14.27 Northern Class 331, a first for me, these units have now taken over from the 321`s that operated the Doncaster Leeds stoppers. Quite impressive and good acceleration, the usual hard seats though with new trains.

I left Rob at Leeds and I took a unbranded TPX Nova 1 to Huddersfield, my intention was to have another run down to Sheffield via Penistone, I like that line, sadly though a bus replacement was operating, so instead I noticed a Northern Dogbox class 153 in the platforms heading for Castleford, and as luck has it, a light engine Class 70 went through the platforms just before I got on board.

On arrival at Castleford I boarded a 158 Sprinter down the Dearne Valley line to Sheffield where I changed for a TPE Class 185 back into Manchester Piccadilly and home, not a bad first day for 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2667604403287062&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly, Victoria and Airport. Sunday 5th January 2020.

A few hours around Manchester on a Sunday. Id set the alarm for 07.00 as I intended getting to the gym for 08.00, but I rolled over in bed and had an extra hour, I must have needed it. It was nearly midday by the time I left the gym, so I drove home grabbed the camera and nipped into Manchester on the tram to see if I could find any Pacers still working, but none appeared to be out.

I took the tram to Piccadilly first and found my first 331 at Piccadilly in the bay platforms, it was working an Airport service. I next took the tram to Victoria, but again this was very quiet with the Stalybridge service being on a rail replacement bus.

I waited for the next Scarborough train to arrive, hoping for a Nova 3 with a nice class 68 in tow, but only a class 185 turned up. I was just about to give up when I noticed an Airport TPE was due, so I waited for it and was pleasantly surprised to see the arrival of a Nova 1 in TPE livery, so I boarded it for a run to the Airport and back.

On passingly Longsight depot 2 class 66`s were on shed and 3 TPE class 68`s, plus a number of Nova`s parked alongside the depot, its nice to see locos on Longsight once more. A lot of changes taking place in Manchester at the moment, out with the old and in with the new. An enjoyable few hours.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2669261769787992&type=3

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Doncaster and South Pennine Day Rover. Saturday 4th January 2020.

After a short week back at work, it was weekend again and the first trip of 2020. With no events happening I decided to have a run over to Doncaster and give my mate Grimsby Steve a ring to see if he fancied meeting up. I set the alarm for 05.00 and was on the 07.18 from Manchester Piccadilly direct to Doncaster on a class 185 TPE Cleethorpes service. I`d slept for most of the journey.

On alighting at Doncaster I went into Starbucks on the platform for an expensive coffee to revive myself, I sat down organised myself and asked the lad behind the counter if he could put the coffee in a take-out cup as I was going out on the platform, he said it would be an extra 5 pence for a take away cup, which I thought was a bit cheeky as I`d already been charged over £3 for the coffee, so I walked out with the pot cup in my hand and sat outside the café. Strangely, this kid followed me out and said I couldn’t take the cup outside, I said I`d return it once I`d finished, but he said if I didn’t take it back right away, he`d call one of the station staff, so I told him to call one them. He just went inside the cafe and another lad came out and just stood there while I drank my coffee, once I`d finished I handed him the cup back and said thanks.

I met Steve on the platform and I had also phoned my mate Rob, who was now living in Yorkshire, Rob caught up with us later. Not much freight moving really, in fact it was the slowest I`d seen it, I think we had 3 Class 66`s through and that was it, the 67 Thunderbird was parked up under the footbridge and an unnumbered class 47 ex RES livery in part undercoat was in the works yard and a couple of Colas class 56`s parked up down near the road bridge. Still a few Class 91`s operating, but mainly Azuma`s now through Doncaster.

Rob arrived just after 11.00 and at lunchtime the 3 of us went for lunch in the Turkish, Frenchgate Café, we must be regulars there now, great food though and plenty of it. We left Steve just after 14.00 as he was driving back to Grimsby, Rob and I boarded the 14.27 Northern Class 331, a first for me, these units have now taken over from the 321`s that operated the Doncaster Leeds stoppers. Quite impressive and good acceleration, the usual hard seats though with new trains.

I left Rob at Leeds and I took a unbranded TPX Nova 1 to Huddersfield, my intention was to have another run down to Sheffield via Penistone, I like that line, sadly though a bus replacement was operating, so instead I noticed a Northern Dogbox class 153 in the platforms heading for Castleford, and as luck has it, a light engine Class 70 went through the platforms just before I got on board.

On arrival at Castleford I boarded a 158 Sprinter down the Dearne Valley line to Sheffield where I changed for a TPE Class 185 back into Manchester Piccadilly and home, not a bad first day for 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2667604403287062&type=3

Out of interest were the two Sheffield TPE you took 6-car or didn't you notice?

shredder1

Established Member
Worksop and South Pennine Day Rover. Saturday 11th January 2020.

Another early start, clock set at 05.00, well phone actually and it was the usual drive to Crumpsall tram stop for the first tram to Manchester Piccadilly. I was heading for Worksop and meeting up with my mate Grimsby Steve. On arrival at Manchester Piccadilly I found Transpennine Cat 68027 Splendid on a Manchester Piccadilly to Scarborough service, I didn’t realise they ran them from there.

I caught a stopper over to Sheffield, a Northern Sprinter class 150/2 which have recently replaced the Pacer class 142`s on the route, the slower train also gave me some time to catch up on my sleep.

Steve rang me as my train was arriving into Sheffield and I arranged to meet him at Worksop for 09.00, my change of train got me in at 08.58. It was my first visit to Worksop since the depot held class 58`s and the coal trains were prevalent in the area, nowadays Harry Needles has the depot.
Steve met me off the train and we walked around to B and Q and the rear of the stores to gain access to the yard. The usual high security fencing prevented any decent photographs though, although I did get one of a Pacer through the gate. A large overgrown mound sits at the site of the depot, I attempted to climb it, but it was a bit steep and overgrown with vines, but worth the effort for any mountaineering types with Amazonian jungle experience.

Steve had done a reconnaissance and took me round to the opposite side of the tracks behind Tesco where you could also view the yard from a slightly higher elevation, so we managed to get a few photographers of more Pacer class 142`s, EWS liveried Class 08 904 shunter, GBRf liveried Class 20 901, the main stock was the new class 345`s for the Elizabeth Line and also a few Class 710 for the London Overground. Noted inside the depot was a class 33 and a class 47 and also GNER class 82 DVT.

We took breakfast at Tesco`s and I tried a Vegan Brekkie, which was probably a little too healthy for me. I left Steve at the railway station, as he was driving back home and I boarded a Sprinter to Leeds via Sheffield. After spending some time at Leeds, a Nova 3 came in on the Scarborough Liverpool`s behind Transpennine Cat 68019 Brutus, so I caught this as far as Huddersfield. I stayed on Huddersfield station for a while and waited for the next Scarborough-Liverpool which came in behind Transpennine Cat 68023 Achilles.

My next move was the Castleford to Bradford Interchange Dogbox class 153 to Bradford Interchange before catching a Northern 195 back into Leeds. My Leeds back to Manchester was a Transpennine 185 into Manchester Victoria, another good day though.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2683614468352722&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester and Stalybridge. Sunday 12th January 2020.

A short Sunday afternoon chasing cats again. I caught a Nova 3 behind class 68 022 Resolution from Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge on a Liverpool-Scarborough. I spend a few hours at Stalybridge photographing the stopping services which are now in the hands of TPE class 185`s working between Manchester Piccadilly and Huddersfield, whilst also photographing the TPE Nova 1`s in both liveried and unliveried variety`s. I also had a beer in the station pub, well worth a visit and they had all three rooms open with lots of od railway photographs on the walls. I returned to Manchester on a TPE class 185 into Manchester Piccadilly, before photographing Scarborough-Liverpool TPE Cat 68 019 Brutus. Its great to have loco hauled again back on the Transpennine routes and long may they continue.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2685956131451889&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh yes, I did love my brief foray on the TPX 68s a while back, I really need to go do some more of them. I have a week off in March, and the temptation to head north is quite significant!

As always, some good reads there. I rarely comment, admittedly, but I always read your reports. The vegan breakfast in Spoons isn't much cop either, had that the other day and Quorn's sausages are terrible. Linda McCartney's vegan sausages are far superior!

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Called in to Spoons yesterday to see a fella order a build your own breakfast that was a plate full of sausages

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks very much Tech, Happy New Year too by the way, I must try the McCartney sausage, sounds interesting.

Happy New Year to you too!

I got the Linda McCartney sausages from Sainsburys recently, only £1 for 6. They're usually in the frozen vegetarian foods section of supermarkets, but they are vegan according to the logo on the box.

I can't wait to get back to the UK and have some proper food, at sensible prices, that's at least reasonably healthy. I never thought I'd say it, but I've missed the likes of Asda and Tesco! Been too much pizza and too many burgers and so on for the last several days, eating sensibly in the USA is far harder to do than it is in the UK!

87electric

WholeFoods Markets in the USA makes it easy to eat sensibly and healthy. You have to pay for it though.