• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
I think I was about 13 when I visited Bressingham. It was a good day out and back then had 70013 on display too, do you remember the struggle that happened trying to get them to release it? They were strange times.

Yes I think I remember reading something about that, to be honest its actually the first time I`ve visited the place, the Garratt was the highlight for me Cowley, love them, never saw them on BR unfortunately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway. Sunday 17th September 2017.

I was up early again at number one`s Son`s in Sandy heading this time to the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway. Engineering works was taking place on the ECML , so it was a 06.35 rail replacement bus from Sandy to Hitchin and then a train into Kings Cross. I walked over to St Pancras International for the South East platforms and caught a Javelin out to Sittingbourne, Kent. On arrival I couldn’t resist a large brunch breakfast in the station café, two eggs, beans, 2 sausage, chips burger, onions and 4 slices of toast, washed down by a steaming pot of fresh coffee, topped up with a midges of 18 year old single malt from the old hip flask, you really can`t beat this healthy eating lark.

I walked down the Sittingbourne Viaduct station, 5 minutes from the main line railway station, but I`d misread the timetable thinking that the first train out was at 11.00, in reality it was 13.00, but no problem, I thought I`d try to get to the other end of the line at Kemsley Down. I walked back to the main line railway station and took a cab to where they thought it was, as they couldn’t find any road access to take them in, I was only charged a fiver though.

I walked some way across the Down and eventually found the railway line and walked up the track bed, it felt like I`d walked about 2 mile from where the taxi had dropped me off and I eventually came to the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway main workshops and operating centre, but the site was behind locked gates, had I read the website properly, it clearly states that there is no road access to the site.

I was just about to turn around and walk back, when one of the girls who volunteers for the railway, and who I had met previously at the Welshpool and Llanfair steam gala weeks earlier, while visiting with one of the Sittingbourne locomotives, very kindly unlocked the gates for me and allowed me on site. I felt so privileged to be allowed on site before the railway was opened and the staff were unusually friendly, really lovely people.

I found the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway totally amazing, it has a very original feeling about it and is set in an unusual and unique industrial setting, it feels and looks like an industrial railway, quite amazing really. I was further privileged to be allowed to ride the first train back into Sittingbourne Viaduct station, were the first passengers of the day boarded, I purchased my ticket there, £8 for an all-day rover, ridiculously cheap, so I made a donation.

Another amazing thing about this railway is the elevated section leading to a long industrial like viaduct built over a number of curves, it really has to be traversed to be appreciated. Between both station sites, the railway crosses the Down, which is a haven for wildlife; indeed I saw a Little Egret take flight twice as we passed by on the train.
I took a number of rides on the railway and took lunch in the café at Kemsley Down, which also hosts a shop, museum, engine display models, a miniature railway, and very authentic looking locomotive sheds. The Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway is a must to visit for all railway enthusiasts.

I left the railway at around 15.00, walked back to the main line station and was just in time to catch a South East Javelin back into St Pancras International. I walked over to the East Midlands platforms and noticed that an HST was just pulling in, bound for Sheffield, so I caught this to travel back on the Midland Main Line for a change. I was again lucky with the trains at Sheffield as a TPX was just about to arrive for Manchester Piccadilly. This was followed by a Metrolink tram to Bowker vale when as luck has it again; I was in time for the 59 bus to take me back to my village, arriving home by around 21.00 after another fantastic weekend away.

A big thank you to the staff at the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway for a lovely and privileged visit.

http\://www.sklr.net/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...68217234026.1073742860.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Aln Valley Railway. Saturday 23rd September 2017.

Friday night again and the usual mad rush home from work, I was off up to Newcastle on Tyne on a TPX from Manchester Piccadilly. Destination the Aln Valley Railway, end of season gala an up and coming preserved railway that started from a blank canvas in 2012, well an empty field actually, but they have achieved so much in such a short time that I was interested in going along and checking them out, and what a nice surprise I had.

I`d booked in the Euro Hostel at Manors, so took a Tyne and Wear Metro from Newcastle Central low level to Monument for a change to Manors, but the Metro wasn’t running past Monument, so I had to go above ground and catch a bus. I took supper at The Four Guys take-away and later checked in at the Hostel. I shared a 6 bed dormer with a China man, an Aussie, an Iranian and a Geordie, all great lads and we had a bit of a laugh, the Aussie and Gordie invited me out on the town for the night, but I was just too knacked, a quick ale in the bar below and it wasn’t long before I`d retired to the bunks anyway.

I was up early Saturday morning, showered and out for 05.45, the hostel had booked me a taxi to Central station, a quick breakfast at Greggs set me up for the journey. On entering Newcastle Central station I was greeted by 67007 at the head of a Virgin 91 rake on a Carlisle working, a nice start to the day. Sadly though the 06.35 train I intended catching was a rail replacement bus, (engineering works), and over an hours journey to Alnmouth. The service buses however didn’t start running for an hour so once I had arrived at Alnmouth, so I walked down the road and started thumbing a lift; fortunately a young lad picked me up within 5 minutes and very kindly dropped me off at Lionheart, the site of the Aln Valley Railway.

I was very kindly allowed to wonder around site before anything started running, the staff at the Aln Valley Railway were very friendly and welcoming and the morning’s weather was turning out to be extremely sunny with blue skies. The site includes a loco sheds and workshops, station with waiting rooms, an excellent reproduction NE footbridge, toilet block, museum, shop and café, which is quite an amazing achievement for the time they have been operating.

I took breakfast in the café and once trains were operating, I had a few rides up and down the line, which presently goes to the head shunt, but the railway will shortly be travelling on a mile section recently laid on the former Alnwick to Alnmouth track bed, the eventual hope is to get back to Alnmouth. To the West of the Lionheart site, the original line into Alnwick has been severed by the A1 Great North Road. After spending the morning on the railway, I walking into Alnwick to trace the old station buildings, finding a path along the original track bed. I`d been there before, in the 1980`s when the building was in industrial use, but since then Barter Books have taken over the property, so I wanted to see how things had changed over the years and was pleasantly surprised to find that the glass had been replaced in the station roof and the building was well cared for and loved.

It was nice to see the building in better condition than it was on my last visit. Barter Books is one of the largest second hand book shops in Europe, indeed if you like your book like I do, you would find this store totally amazing, they even have model trains running across the tops of many of the book cases along with many old photographs showing how the station was in its heyday, worth a visit.

https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/

Instead of taking a bus back up to Alnmouth and waiting for the rail replacement bus to take me back to Newcastle, I decided to make my way to Alnwick bus station and catch a regular service bus from there, after waiting 30minutes for the X18 however it didn’t turn up, so I went back into the town and took some lunch, returning to the bus station for the next bus service, which duly arrived at 15.04, but it was only going to Haymarket in Newcastle, so I alighted at the Regent Central and caught the Metro directly into Newcastle Central. I was on the station platforms for 5 minutes when a local crank told me that an engineering train was due though with two 67` Heaton bound, so it was nice to be able to photograph 67023 and 67027.

I next boarded a Virgin Class 91 as far as York with a change for a TPX into Manchester Victoria, a tram to Bowker Vale and bus home for 20.00, an early night as I wanted to visit the Foxfield railway the next day, a busy weekend.

http://www.alnvalleyrailway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742866.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
Foxfield Railway. Anything Goes Gala. Sunday 24th September 2017.

I actually over slept on the Sunday morning, after my trip up to the Aln Valley Railway, so didn’t leave the house until 07.30 which was very late for me. I was driving down to the Foxfield Railway anything goes gala, always an amazing railway to visit and I usually get down there at least once every few years. I took what should have been the shortest route, M60, M6, A500 through Stoke, the M6 however was very busy for a Sunday morning and a 50 mph restriction was in force, but I still managed to get into Blythe Bridge by 09.00, in time to take a few early photographs and get one of the railways exceptional Full English and still had time for the first train out at 10.00.

The Full English was to die for and after the long drive down, much welcomed, but horror of horrors, they had ran out of the traditional Staffordshire Oat Cakes, (can you believe that), and they didn’t even have an emergency number to get some more delivered, this is the first time I have ever visited the Foxfield Railway and not eaten at least half a dozen Oat Cakes. Take note Foxfield Railway, please make sure you are amply stocked with Oat Cakes on gala days, I`m still suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

The gala was superb as always at the Foxfield, it really makes you step back in time and history, lots of steam road vehicles were also present, some truly amazing machines. Plenty of action all day, I defy anyone to get bored there, lots of stalls, the museum and shop, the first class café, the One Legged Shunter, as many train rides as you like and Foxfield colliery and its incredible and unique incline, along with the two pithead towers. A bus service provided by the railway takes customers from the colliery to Blythe Bridge. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and prices are very low for what you get. I spent time on both sites, took a number of train rides and also walked down the bank and took a bus back to Blythe Bridge, and later drove over to Foxfield from Blythe Bridge.

I stayed until the last train, an amazing day, and then drove back up to Manchester, two galas over two days for the weekend, and quite a bit of mileage in-between, it was emotional, until next time guys.

http://foxfieldrailway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742868.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Shred, I'll do these one at a time:

The Sittingbourne and Kemsley - That railway has been around for as long as I remember now (I'm 44) and I seem to recall that they were having problems about ten years ago with the viaduct that you described, it sounds like that's all sorted now though and that they've got through their difficulties? Is the whole of the viaduct and original preserved route being used again now? It looks like a very interesting little railway I must say.

The Aln Valley - I suppose it's a line that hasn't really appealed to me much because in my mind I'd always felt that Alnwick station was the gem of the line and disappointingly it wasn't possible for that to receive trains again. However, they do seem to be getting somewhere with this scheme so all credit to them I suppose.

The Foxfield Railway - Well it just looks excellent, I'll do the line at some point, it looks like it has a lot of 'the props' to give it some proper industrial atmosphere.
Can you ride a train up Foxfield Bank or is it demonstration freight only?

Thanks as usual for posting your interesting travels.

shredder1

Established Member
Shred, I'll do these one at a time:

The Sittingbourne and Kemsley - That railway has been around for as long as I remember now (I'm 44) and I seem to recall that they were having problems about ten years ago with the viaduct that you described, it sounds like that's all sorted now though and that they've got through their difficulties? Is the whole of the viaduct and original preserved route being used again now? It looks like a very interesting little railway I must say.

The Aln Valley - I suppose it's a line that hasn't really appealed to me much because in my mind I'd always felt that Alnwick station was the gem of the line and disappointingly it wasn't possible for that to receive trains again. However, they do seem to be getting somewhere with this scheme so all credit to them I suppose.

The Foxfield Railway - Well it just looks excellent, I'll do the line at some point, it looks like it has a lot of 'the props' to give it some proper industrial atmosphere.
Can you ride a train up Foxfield Bank or is it demonstration freight only?

Thanks as usual for posting your interesting travels.

Thank you very much for your comments Cowley, always appreciated, yes the Sittingbourne viaduct appears to have been solved now and you can travel the full length of it, and its magnificent.

You cant ride up Foxfield bank yet, because the points are not locked for passenger workings, but they are working on this apparently , so you may beable to do so in the future.

Yes I agree on the Aln valley, at the rate they are going though it shouldnt be too long before they are back upto Alnmouth, the old Alnwick station though is amazing, such a shame they didnt get that one.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another couple heritage lines covered, making me jealous with your various travels.

Good to know about the Euro Hostel in Newcastle, I've used the one in Glasgow a few times as it is very well located in the city centre for access to both stations.

shredder1

Established Member
Another couple heritage lines covered, making me jealous with your various travels.

Good to know about the Euro Hostel in Newcastle, I've used the one in Glasgow a few times as it is very well located in the city centre for access to both stations.

Thank you very much Kite, yes apparently Euro hostel have a Manchester one too, I`ve stayed in the Glasgow one, they are not bad, the one I use a lot in Glasgow is the St Enochs Hotel who have dorms.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thank you very much Kite, yes apparently Euro hostel have a Manchester one too, I`ve stayed in the Glasgow one, they are not bad, the one I use a lot in Glasgow is the St Enochs Hotel who have dorms.

I've used that one as well, although so far always on a solo room.

The only time I tend to go for dorms is when alternatives are out of budget, unavailable or too far from the station

Techniquest

Veteran Member
See I dislike hostels, even though I have one coming up next month in Milan. Not through choice, it was a desperate booking with little money!

You've had a very busy time this year Shred, it won't be long at this rate until you clear all the UK preserved lines! I need most of them, but should get one of them dealt with next month at long last.

shredder1

Established Member
See I dislike hostels, even though I have one coming up next month in Milan. Not through choice, it was a desperate booking with little money!

You've had a very busy time this year Shred, it won't be long at this rate until you clear all the UK preserved lines! I need most of them, but should get one of them dealt with next month at long last.

Milan, wow amazing place Tech, I was there in February, so busy, a decent sheds on the first station out too, you`ll love it mate.

I begrudge paying hotel prices when I can get a cheap hostel as long as they are clean I`m fine, I`m in York for two nights from tonight, an hostel, lol, for the North Yorks gala. Czech Republic hostel next month for a few nights. Still need to do a few preserved lines, so many of the things, lol

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Milan, wow amazing place Tech, I was there in February, so busy, a decent sheds on the first station out too, you`ll love it mate.

I begrudge paying hotel prices when I can get a cheap hostel as long as they are clean I`m fine, I`m in York for two nights from tonight, an hostel, lol, for the North Yorks gala. Czech Republic hostel next month for a few nights. Still need to do a few preserved lines, so many of the things, lol

Cheers, I may well see it on my way into Centrale from Tirano. Next month's Euro adventure sees me flying into Basel and local bus into Basel itself, SBB across to Zurich (no Advances either so that will be chingy!) and base camp there. The day after, I continue to Chur and onto the Bernina Express forward to Tirano. Zurich to Tirano is already booked, and I think after a meal break it's then a local train to Milan itself, reasonable ching on the day so happy to pay for that when I get there. The day after I fly back from Milpensa airport to Stansted for my trains home.

I'm told the hostel I have booked is one a mate of Blindtraveller's stayed at recently and he had his stuff nicked. Which does remind me to set a new code on the TSA lock on my case actually, which I need a pin for. Whether or not it'll happen to me is another thing, but as I'm sure you can imagine it's got the wind up me a bit.

I prefer hotels for the feeling of security, but I couldn't afford more than the £19 this hostel cost me. I only intend to be in the room for a few hours of kip anyway. Must look up the train from Milan to Milpensa airport actually...

shredder1

Established Member
Cheers, I may well see it on my way into Centrale from Tirano. Next month's Euro adventure sees me flying into Basel and local bus into Basel itself, SBB across to Zurich (no Advances either so that will be chingy!) and base camp there. The day after, I continue to Chur and onto the Bernina Express forward to Tirano. Zurich to Tirano is already booked, and I think after a meal break it's then a local train to Milan itself, reasonable ching on the day so happy to pay for that when I get there. The day after I fly back from Milpensa airport to Stansted for my trains home.

I'm told the hostel I have booked is one a mate of Blindtraveller's stayed at recently and he had his stuff nicked. Which does remind me to set a new code on the TSA lock on my case actually, which I need a pin for. Whether or not it'll happen to me is another thing, but as I'm sure you can imagine it's got the wind up me a bit.

I prefer hotels for the feeling of security, but I couldn't afford more than the £19 this hostel cost me. I only intend to be in the room for a few hours of kip anyway. Must look up the train from Milan to Milpensa airport actually...

Very nice, that sounds fantastic, Basel and Zurich are also great rail centres, I was at them both in February, On Hostels I take a lock and key, most have somewhere safe to store things, usually under the bed or in the same room, I had slept with my camera tied to me, I`m a light sleeper anyway and never had any probelms with theft, but you have to be street wise, well hostel wise. Have a great trip though mate, I`m over there at the end of the month, 2 day Czech railtour and then probably Gemany Poland and Slovak, plus I want to track down the big crocodiles in the power stations at Ostrava.

shredder1

Established Member
North Yorkshire Moors Railway Steam Gala. Saturday 30th September 2017, (Day 1).

It was a driving weekend for me and I certainly clocked up a few miles by my standards these days. I`d booked two nights in the Safestay Hostel on Micklegate, York, very central £42 quid for two nights and more like an hotel than an hostel.

After tea on Friday evening I had a leisurely drive over the M62 and A64 towards York after the rush hour traffic had died down. I arrived in the City for around 21.00. I had a 6 bed dorm all to myself on the first night, complete with an on suite bathroom and shower. A walk out on the town and a few ales in the City and I was soon back at the hostel knocking out the Z`s.

I was up early Saturday morning, showered and on the road for 06.30 and the 27 mile drive up to Pickering took no time at all, I parked the car in the NYMR car park, £5.00, still it’s for a good cause. I then made my way to the town looking for somewhere to take breakfast. I found a café called Russell’s, but they told me they didn’t open until 08.00 so I hung around for 20 minutes and once they were opened I went inside and took a table, 15 minutes later and I still hadn’t been served so I went to the counter to ask if anyone was serving and they simply pointed to a sign high up over the door that said order first or something like thataz, no apology for keeping me waiting and they knew I was sat there, so I walked out in disgust and found another café around the corner, and gave them my custom instead.

After a look around Pickering railway station, this was the first time I`d actually been back since the new station roof had been put on, I caught the first train out, the 09.00 to Grosmont behind the Standard 4 pocket rocket, an old friend from the East Lancs before it migrated. I spent some time around the station, workshops and Engine sheds, nice to see the workshop open to visitors now, it is an excellent layout and they also have a shop inside. In fact one very lovely elderly gent and volunteer, very kindly invited me into the top yard to take a few photographs with the sun behind me, it was a lovely day.

I next caught a train back to Goathland and ventured over the moors to various locations at Darnholme and Beck Hole, I was fortunate in that I met up with a fellow facebooker, Richard Hagues who was also into European rail travel and he very kindly offered to drive me to a few other locations, as my car was back in Pickering, thanks mate, appreciated. I had however cocked up and misinterpreted a text from my mate Steve, who had very kindly driven up to Grosmont from Grimsby to meet me; sadly I missed him, but he accepted my apology for the misunderstanding, I owe him a full English next time we meet up.

Richard and his mate very kindly dropped me off back at Pickering, where I spent some time photographing the last train out, before having a fish and chip tea in the town and driving back to my hostel in York. A few ales in another bar in the City and on returning to my 6 bed dorm, I found that I had been invaded by the Chinese, 2 guys and 3 girls, ah well, they were pleasant enough, I only hope my snoring didn’t wake them up, while I dreamt of day 2 on the Moors.

https://www.nymr.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742869.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a rather awesome day, except for the farce in the cafe. They could have at least told you how it worked there, worth bearing in mind to avoid that one should I ever make it back to that area.

I don't seem to have you on my Facebook list so expect a request later!

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds like a rather awesome day, except for the farce in the cafe. They could have at least told you how it worked there, worth bearing in mind to avoid that one should I ever make it back to that area.

I don't seem to have you on my Facebook list so expect a request later!

Thank you very much Tech, yes not great customer service , but yes please send me a Facebook request mate, I have cranks from all over the world on there :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like another nice trip Shred.

I'd have replied earlier but I was waiting for you to come up to the counter and ask me for a reply...

shredder1

Established Member
North Yorkshire Moors Railway Steam Gala, (Day 2). Sunday 1st October 2017.

I was up early in the Hostel at York again, unfortunately disturbing my Chinese friends in the surrounding bunks. I was on the road for 06.00, it was a damp morning and still dark as I drove along the A64. This time I travelled beyond Pickering and over the Moors to Grosmont, as I wanted to catch the early train, the 08.50 out to Whitby and I was treated to the BR Standard class 4, Pocket Rocket. I hadn’t found anywhere for breakfast and was feeling in need of something, I did however find a bottle of London Dark Ale at the bottom of the rucksack, left over from the night before, so decided to crack it open to help sustain me while I returned to Grosmont, now I don`t normally drink at this time in the morning, but this was an emergency.

The ride out and back to Whitby behind the Pocket Rocket was fantastic and it had been some time since I had done this run. I returned to Grosmont in time for breakfast in the station café, I ordered a full English, but they said they were only doing a few items, so I ordered what they had, when my order arrived at my table I thought they`d brought the wrong one at first, it was a black pudding, a piece of undercooked bacon, a sausage and egg I think, and they had attempted to put this lot on a small bun, not the best breakfast I`ve had and not the cheapest either, but I was stuck with it and eaten what I could, I suppose they have limited facilities and it’s for a good cause I suppose, but I`ll obviously find a proper café before I visit again.

After spending some time at Grosmont, I took a train down to the bottom of the line at Pickering behind the magnificent B1 61264, while I spent a little more time looking around the stalls, I`d missed from the day previous. I later returned up the line as far as Levisham for another photographic stop, later running back up the line to Grosmont, and then catching the last train out to Whitby, my second trip of the day to the town, but this time behind B1 61264, a classic locomotive for this part of the country.

I`d met a mate of mine John Vere who lived in my home town and had been up at the NYMR for all three days, he was staying in Goathland and I`d offered him a lift home, but I wasn’t sure how long I`d be on the railway and he was going back to his accommodation for the last night, once I`d returned to Grosmont from Whitby however, I decided to drive over to John`s hotel on the way home and he decided to come back with me, although they still charged him £65 for the last night at the hotel, despite him not staying, so they didn’t do badly out of him.my house ten minutes later, a great weekend away, lovely staff at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and it had been a great gala, dearest fridge magnets in the UK though, but still it’s for a good cause, I`ll be back.

https://www.nymr.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...71809437000.1073742870.100001125840218&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
S
Ah I see, I think :)

Sorry mate, a bit dry (like that roll you had actually)
A great couple of days there, the railway is in my top 1 to visit when I can get up there. The extra bit to Whitby has a faster line speed too I think?
Love the little Standard 4s, one of my favourite steam locos, the B1 is an absolute classic as well.

shredder1

Established Member
S

Sorry mate, a bit dry (like that roll you had actually)
A great couple of days there, the railway is in my top 1 to visit when I can get up there. The extra bit to Whitby has a faster line speed too I think?
Love the little Standard 4s, one of my favourite steam locos, the B1 is an absolute classic as well.

Haha, but oh yes you must visit Cowley, its truly an amazing railway, I`d missed the run from Whitby the Battersby, they didnt do it on the Sunday, but I`ve done it before its awesome mate.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not much luck with eating on your NYMR adventure! Cowley's referring to that first cafe you went to, if it wasn't clear. Certainly made me laugh!

Your mainline runs are ones I want to do, but I would understandably prefer something diesel on it. Maybe one day! Your beer doesn't sound like one I've had yet too.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Gosh, if I can ever have trips like that I’ll wonder what I did well in a previous life! Great reports!

shredder1

Established Member
Not much luck with eating on your NYMR adventure! Cowley's referring to that first cafe you went to, if it wasn't clear. Certainly made me laugh!

Your mainline runs are ones I want to do, but I would understandably prefer something diesel on it. Maybe one day! Your beer doesn't sound like one I've had yet too.

Ah, its me being a bit fik, lol, I`m a bit fik these days, lol many thanks for the comments though as always mate.

shredder1

Established Member
Gwili Railway Opening to Abergwili Junction Gala. Saturday 7th October 2017.

Thankfully it was not the usually mad rush after work on Friday evening, as I was taking the more leisurely 19.30 Arriva Wales Carmarthen service from Manchester Piccadilly on a £25 Club 55 ticket. I was heading down to the Gwili Railway, a favourite line of mine, with an amazing history, once part of the Manchester and Milford vision, but essentially had a life of the Aberwystwyth to Carmarthen Railway. The Gwilli Railway were hosting a gala to celebrate the new extension down to Abergwili Junction, (A serious big well done guys).

What I`d forgotten about was that the boat train to Fishguard Harbour had changed its times, because of a change in Stena Line Ferries sailing times and the rail service was no longer running through the night, a journey I used to use to save on a bed for the night while I was down in the region. I decided to alight at Swansea, and catch up with a few hours’ sleep in the waiting room, which is probably slightly better than the one at Carmarthen, (I sleep well sat up on trains and in railway waiting rooms, I`m strange like that). However to cut a much longer story short, Swansea High Street station closed at 00.30 and didn’t reopen again until 03.15, with the first train to Carmarthen being at 05.45, so I had a few hours to kill, even before I could grab a comfy steel station bench in Swansea High Street`s waiting room, (it was far more comfy in the 1980`s by the way).

I wondered into Swansea city centre, which was full of drunken student, regular drunks and the homeless contingency and I amazingly found a McDonalds that was open and complete with bouncers, welcome to the UK 2017, so that occupied some time, while I had a few coffee`s and Mc Flurries. I then went for another wonder around in the darkness, but it started to rain, so I found a bus shelter with a bench in it and attempted to sleep sort of sat up, but an homeless guy came into the shelter, and I felt like I`d taken his bedroom over, so I moved to another bench opposite the railway station outside a pub, which was also undercover.

This took me through to 03.15 when the station reopened and I made my way into the waiting room and caught up with a little more sleep before the Carmarthen train arrived for the 05.45.

Another 30 minutes sleep on the train and I was soon in Carmarthen and walked into the town to the bus station to catch the 07.15 number 460 bus up to the Bronwydd Arms, the operations centre for the Gwili Railway. The staff at the railway are always very welcoming and a lovely lady opened up the ticket office and museum for me, thank you.

Once everything was open, I had my revival coffee, with a drop of Scotland`s finest 15 years old from the old hip flask, in the station café, plus a visit to the shop for a full set of fridge magnets. I met up with a few friends including Aron Stenning, who was providing a stand from the Dean Forest Railway and I later purchased my day rover ticket. I took the first ride up the line to Danycoed, behind RSH 0-6-0 71516/7170 Welsh Guardsman and returned to Llwyfan Cerrig for a few photographs. I next caught the Class 117 DMU back to Bronwydd Arms, and returned again to Danycoed, and then directly down the new extension to Abergwili Junction, new track for me and a very impressive run and station platform. I returned on this train to Llwyfan Cerrig and finally caught another train back to Bronwydd Arms.

The event was spectacular and the staff very helpful and friendly, in fact I felt very privileged that the marketing manager even offered to take me lineside at one point and told me of the future plans, some amazing developments in the pipeline, he is an amazing guy with some great ideas, its definitely a railway that needs watching over the coming years, and certainly worth visiting for those that have not yet done so. A big thank you to everyone at the Gwili Railway for a fantastic event, and making my visit very enjoyable again, I will return.
I`d timed the 460 bus back into Carmarthen and this dropped me off at into the railway station just in time to catch a train back into Swansea.

I took tea in a restaurant in the City, followed by a few local ales, and then walked out, along the beach, to my guest house for the night in Swansea Bay, the Devon View, it was nice and it had been a great day, if not a long one, I was certainly ready for bed and slept through until 08.00 Sunday morning, which is a lie-in for me. Many thanks for reading.

Stock Operating on the day was RSH 0-6-0 71516/7170 Welsh Guardsman, RSH 0-6-0 7849 Moonbarrow, Class 117 Diesel Railcar, W51347 and W51401 and BR Class 03 diesel shunter D2178.

http\://www.gwili-railway.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742876.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When I was reading the bit about you sleeping in bus shelters and walking the streets I was starting to think of the film title 'Shredder Come Home'.
You put yourself through it for the cause there!
An interesting report Shred, the railway seems to be moving forward really well at the moment.