• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred's Europe and Asia trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
The Baltic Countries, Helsinki, Finland (Day 3). Tuesday 17th July 2018.

A week travelling around the Baltic Countries by rail, Latvia, Estonia and Finland, three countries that I hadn’t visited previously.

I walked into Tallinn Port from the hostel as I was sailing on the 08.00 Viking Line ferry, at £47 return it was the best deal I could find and those ferries are huge and also come with entertainment, a pop group and also an entertainer for children and families. The voyage takes two and a half hours each way, so I arrived into Helsinki for 10.30 and walked from the ferry port to the railway station.

A new country and different trains to phot, it was great to walk into Helsinki Central Railway station for the first time and see what they had on offer. I spent most of the morning and afternoon until the start of the rush hour, on Helsinki Central station and later took a train out to the first station at Pasila Bole, everything that leaves Helsinki Central has to pass through there.

I spent over an hour at Pasila Bole before walking around the corner to Ilmala, Helsinki Locomotive Depot, it’s a sizable installation with the locomotive depot at the back of the complex, it also contains extensive carriage sidings and facilities for Pendolinos and EMU`s. I was glad I had a 300 mm lens in tow as you can get some reasonable photographs from the surround high ground and bridges.

I eventually returned to Pasila Bole and took a service train back into Helsinki Central to finish the day off and take tea at one of the station cafes. I later took a tram out to my hostel for the night, the Cheapstay, a great, large and modern hostel with excellent facilities at £15 for the night. I`d had a fantastic day in Helsinki, and with the high temperatures, it was nothing like I had imagined it to be, I had another excellent night’s sleep.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...06011126910.1073743135.100001125840218&type=3

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
The Baltic Countries, Finland to Estonia, (Day 4). Wednesday 18th July 2018.

A week travelling around the Baltic Countries by rail, Latvia, Estonia and Finland, three countries that I hadn’t visited previously.

I was up and showered for 07.00, out of the Cheapstay Hostel and caught a tram to Helsinki Central station for breakfast and a few more phots before the ferry. I sailed at 11.30, again by Viking Lines and watched a very good band on the upper deck while sipping ice cold beers on the voyage. Two and a half hours later I was docking back in Tallinn Port, I had returned to Estonia for my second night, but first thing was to get a bit more track mileage in.

I checked the timetable and noticed I could catch a train to Narva on the Russian border and get back to my hostel for 21.30, it was a good two hours trip each way, but I was rewarded by a couple of Russian diesel locos and one of the heavy former Estonia US locos in the yard and on my return journey back to Tallinn I passed through Tapa and got my first distant sighting of the depot, sadly no time to attempt a visit though.

Returning to the old town in Tallinn, I`d booked another hostel nearer the station this time and after a late tea and the usual local ales, I retired for my last night in Estonia with an early start the following morning.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...50190972492.1073743136.100001125840218&type=3

Iskra

Established Member
Sounds like an interesting trip, apart from the flailing Latvian woman! Yes those are huge ferries. I like the photo's of the Russian loco's, but the units all look a bit boring to be honest.

I fancy a trip to Finland but you aren't exactly selling the Baltic States' network to me!

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds like an interesting trip, apart from the flailing Latvian woman! Yes those are huge ferries. I like the photo's of the Russian loco's, but the units all look a bit boring to be honest.

I fancy a trip to Finland but you aren't exactly selling the Baltic States' network to me!

Many thanks for your comments, yes amazing countries, I just write as I find them, well worth a visit though, you wont be disappointed Iskra.

shredder1

Established Member
The Baltic Countries, Estonia to Latvia, (Day 5). Thursday 19th July 2018.

I had one train to catch to get me from Estonia to Latvia in the same day, so I was up early at the hostel to catch the 08.00 to Valga, and then the three and a half hours wait for the first train to Riga. This time I took a walk around the village and had a few beers in a local bar, plus photographed the line of former five US GE C36-7i and C30-7i locomotives again.

The train back into Riga arrived on time and after another long journey I was back in the Latvian capital for 17.00 another full day travelling. However, I had time to get some more track mileage in though, so took a train down to Jalgava, a major rail junction with a depot, but sadly I didn’t have time to try to get out to the depot but did find some activity in the large yard in front of the station, before returning to Riga for the night.

I`d found a hostel just across the road from Central station, named Mr Hostel, it was perfect and only charged me £31 for my last two nights, giving me two full days to make the most of it before flying back to the UK late on Saturday night. My plan was to cross the country to the Belarus border at Daugavpils, Latvia`s second city, but with only 3 trains a day and I needed to be on the first one out.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...33730954138.1073743138.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
The Baltic Countries, Latvia, (Day 6). Friday 20th July 2018.

Two full days left to explore Latvia, so I had it all planned. I took the first train over to Daugavpils, which left Riga Central at 07.40 and didn’t arrive in Daugavpils until 11.10 so it was good two and a half hours journey and considering it was Latvia`s second city, only 3 trains a day ran, and I had until 17.30 to catch the next viable one back, although there was an earlier train at 13.00, but I wanted to spend more time out there.

The locomotive depot and workshops where located opposite the yard in front of the station and I initially walked south to the main road bridge to photograph some freight locos with full trains, waiting to depart, I next walked across the hills at the back of the yard above one of the freight avoiding lines and then down to the crossing box at the mouth of the main freight yard.

I was lucky there because a few more freight movements were taking place including 2M62s and a Soviet built mighty 2TE10M taking a train out on the Northern goods avoiding line. I made by way down to the locomotive depot, not thinking for one minute I`d get around, I wondered along what looked like a little used line and suddenly came out at the side of the depot, after a few nervous snaps towards the depot, I found a rail worker in the yard and showed him my begging letter in Latvian asking if I could see the boss and visit the depot, he took me across the entrance lines and into the depot and inner sanctum, the shed foreman’s office,

The foreman didn’t seem too happy at first that I`d managed to access his office and by-passed security, and told me I should have written in for permission before I arrived, but he was a lovely chap and realised my passion for the railways, and very kindly got one of his staff members to take me around the yard and various shops, to say I was ecstatic would have been an understatement, I was literally over the moon and obtained a wonderful collection of photographs from my visit, thank you so much gentlemen.

After leaving the depot I walked back to the railway station in the opposite direction from which I`d come and managed to snap a few more freight trains on the walk back. I`d missed the 13.00 train back to Riga but was content to go into the City and do a bit more exploring until the 17.30 train was due.

Daugavpils, has a lovely little tram network and I sampled one of them from just outside the railway station into the city. I spent some time looking round the various shopping centres and later took a meal in a city restaurant and had a few ice-cold local ales, (as you do). Surprisingly this was the first day of my trip when it actually rained, and it really came down, it was bouncing off the roads and forming huge streams as it fell. It seemed to catch the locals by surprise. I was fortunately inside while the main storm was over head and it didn’t take long for it to ease off. However, something had happened to the tram network and it had all suddenly stopped, I don`t know why, but I walked back up to the railway station and it wasn’t long before the Riga train pulled into the platform.

I arrived back into Riga Central by around 20.00, had a few more local ales and then retired to Mr Hostel for my last night in the country, but my last full day was already planned and crammed.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...03867453791.1073743140.100001125840218&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
The Baltic Countries, Latvia, (Day 7). Saturday 21st July 2018.

The last day, I was flying back to the UK at 22.00, so still had lots to get in. I essentially wanted to do two lines, one was out to Tukums 2, the line continues from there to the coast at Ventspils, but only a bus service was operating at the time of my visit. I also wanted to travel on the line to Skulte, which continued on to Estonia, but trains were only going to Skulte at the time of my visit.

I was up very early on my last day, in time to catch the 05.46 to Tukums 2 and arrived in thick mist, it looked like the line was being upgraded towards Ventspils. I returned to Riga and then took a train up to Skulte on the alternative line towards Estonia which indeed I`m told will be part of the new Baltica Rail link.

The Skulte line was an interesting one and I came face to face with a very aggressive looking Elk while attending the call of nature, it’s the first one I`d seen and they are big and I startled it and it certainly staled me.

I returned to Riga and took a train out to Dougmale again to view the locomotive depot from the bridge once more, I spent the rest of the afternoon there and was well rewarded with lots of locomotive movements in and out of the fuelling depot, I asked again to go around the depot, but basically got the same response I`d been given the previous Sunday, they threw a wobbler and gave me the old ne, ne, ne, ne, ne routine, maybe they thought I was James Bond or something.

I then went on to visit Vagonu Parks Multiple-unit and carriage sheds, you could view this location again from an over bridge and it had quite some sizable yards.

I later returned to Riga and had a look around the vast market they have there, before finally taking a bus to the airport, it was all over, but I felt I`d covered a lot and would definitely revisit, still a few lines to do and a few areas to visit, what amazing countries though, Latvia, Estonia and Finland, until next time.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...45143906330.1073743141.100001125840218&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You should rename this thread ‘Shredder1 charms his way around every engine shed in the world’.
As always very interesting mate. Just since I’ve been following your exploits you’ve seen so much stuff.

shredder1

Established Member
You should rename this thread ‘Shredder1 charms his way around every engine shed in the world’.
As always very interesting mate. Just since I’ve been following your exploits you’ve seen so much stuff.

Hahaha, thanks, it keeps me going Cowley.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Prague. Czech Republic, (Day 1). Sunday 9th September 2018.

Travelled out for 9 days this time, essentially chasing the Mining Crocodiles 1500 DC overhead Skoda built Bo-Bo-Bo`s, around the Sokolov Lignite Mines, Sokolovska Uhelna (SU) and also those at the Most Coal Services,Trebusice for the class 27E`s, I combined this trip with a Grumpy rail tour around the Liberec Region.

I took a late flight out from Liverpool Airport on Sunday afternoon and arrived into the beautiful city of Prague just after 19.00. I`d not been in the Czech Republic since February and it was nice to be back, I took the AE bus directly from the airport to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi for some photting, before retiring to the Hostel Rosemary for the night.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1871078789606298&type=3

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 2). Monday 10th September 2018.

Travelled out for 9 days this time, essentially chasing the Mining Crocodiles class 27E`s, 1500 DC overhead Skoda built Bo-Bo-Bo`s, around the Sokolov Lignite Mines, Sokolovska Uhelna (SU) and also those operating at the Most Coal Services, Trebusice, I combined this trip with a Grumpy rail tour around the Liberec Region.

My first full day back in the Czech Republic and after some early morning phots around Prague`s main station Hl n, I was off on the train to the other side of the country, the 07.33 to Cheb, the long way round. I`d arranged to meet a Czech friend Petr, who lives in Usti nad Labem and was travelling to Chomutov for some business, so we caught up and shared the journey together. I was having a chilled out day really, when I arrived at Cheb, I made my way out to the depot and was given permission to visit, not much on there these days, but still worth the effort.

Returning to Cheb station I decided to spend a few hours looking around the city as the station is presently being modernised making it difficult for photography. I had a meal and a few ales in the town and later returned to the station and caught a train back up the line to Karlovy Vary, and after an hour or so, back to Sokolov where I`d arranged to meet Rob. Rob had flown out a few days earlier and was making his way to Sokolov from Germany.
I`d booked a room at the Ubytovna Hostel, it was very cheap, but essentially a run down truck stop and 3 km from the main railway station, the bathroom was like the ballroom of the Titanic, no shower curtains, but the bedbugs were free. It got us by for a couple of nights while we explored the large Lignite Mines chasing Crocodiles. It had been a nice easy day for me and I slept well as it was only Rob who got bitten.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1871173959596781&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 3). Tuesday 11th September 2018.

Travelled out for 9 days this time, essentially chasing the Mining Crocodiles 1500 DC overhead Skoda built Bo-Bo-Bo`s, around the Sokolov Lignite Mines, Sokolovska Uhelna (SU) and also those at the Most Coal Services, Trebusice for the class 27E`s, I combined this trip with a Grumpy rail tour around the Liberec Region.

Our first day Croc hunting, but first we had to find the lignite mines and only really had Google Earth to rely on and our friend Robert Prichard and his excellent book Czech and Slovak Railways, European Handbook no 8, Platform 5 publishing Limited 2016.

We were up and out of the hostel for 09.00 to catch one of the few stopping trains from Kralovske Porici railway station, which was the closest to the hostel. We alighted at Nove Sedlo u Lokte. We knew roughly the direction we wanted to be in and followed a branch from the station downhill in the general direction of the mine.

After walking a mile or so we came across a rake of waggons being loaded up with sand, so thought we had come to a dead end, but then we noticed a line of overhead wires, the DC system just beyond the line we had walked down. We crossed some waste ground to access this area and came across a rail crossing leading to the mine and also noticed the first of the crocs parked up beyond the crossing.

Unfortunately, security pulled us and prevented us going any farther, so we retreated to a point where we could see the three crocs on the track below and managed to take a few photographs from there, but security caught up with us again and pointed to the way out. We then proceeded to walk westwards around the mine until we eventually found the two public viewing areas, but we could only see the crocs working a few miles across the mine towards Vintorov and the power station.

After a few more miles walking we got back to a main road and found a bus that took us out to Vintorov and after walking around the town we located an access point through a gypsy camp and across some marsh land before finding two more crocs parked up. They are strange looking locomotives close up, you can`t actually see a driver, then all of the sudden they`ll fire up and move. We located a large exchange sidings and locos were accessing the yard between the power station and mine, quite a busy operation, but after a few photographs we were again ousted by a pair of security chaps in a car.

We made our way back to the main road and managed a few more photographs from an over bridge and then located the depot on Google Earth and saw another croc in the depot from the distance, we walked towards the location hoping to take a few photographs through the security gate, but also noticed another security car with two chaps watching us and as soon as we walked off the main road, they drove in front of us and told us no photos, so that was it for Sokolov really, we`d done alright and achieved what we set out too do, although a return visit is on the cards at some point in the future.

We caught a bus from Vintorov to Chodov and Karlovy Vary and then a train back to the local station at Kralovske Porici for the short walk back to the hostel. It had been a productive day, but a tiring one and we had walked around 15 miles in total.

https://euracoal.eu/info/country-profiles/czech-republic/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1872110022836508&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 4). Wednesday 12th September 2018.

Travelled out for 9 days this time, essentially chasing the Mining Crocodiles 1500 DC overhead Skoda built Bo-Bo-Bo`s, around the Sokolov Lignite Mines, Sokolovska Uhelna (SU) and also those at the Most Coal Services, Trebusice for the class 27E`s, I combined this trip with a Grumpy rail tour around the Liberec Region.

I was up and out of the hostel before Rob and walked down to Sokolov station because I wanted to check out the locomotive depot, or at least what was left of it, as it closed many years ago. I was however under the impression that Rob was meeting me there, but we`d had a mix up and Rob caught the 09.33 again, same as the day before, so we missed each other for a while, Rob however got off at Karlovy Vary and I caught the next express, which wasn’t until 11.00, Rob boarded my train at Karlovy Vary and we then both continued to Kadan Prunerov and took a local service down to Kadan Mesto.

We were essentially trying to catch up with another series of Bo-Bo-Bo locomotives, which we at first thought were other crocodiles, but it turned out that they were very heavy-duty locos designed specifically for the power station at Tusimice, a class of just 4, Class184 ex Skoda 93 EO 12. We caught up with just one of them, 184 504-9, but just missed another one going into the power station. The get out there was a 3 mile walk in very hot weather with our heavy rucksacks on. The bus service out from Kadan to Tusimice was very sparse, fortunately we managed to catch a bus going in the opposite direct, which took us to Chomutov and enabled us to get back on the main line to Most, where we had booked to stay for the next two nights.

The accommodation in Most was great, but the address was wrong and we spent a good hour trying to find it. However, we finished up with a 10th floor modern apartment which was handy for the centre and the shops, we went for a meal in the town before retiring. Most has an amazing history, a town that has been moved because of mining activities in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tušimice_Power_Station

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_(Most_District)

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1873262026054641&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve heard some of this via the horses mouth as it were. I’m going to have a proper look through the pictures in the next couple of days. Excellent travels though Shred.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 5). Thursday 13th September 2018.

Our first full day in Most and we were chasing the Komorary Crocodiles, around Trebusice, we struggled getting out to Trebusice and initially caught the wrong bus, which took us in the opposite direction, not many trains go out to Trebusice either and we eventually caught one around lunch time after a ride around on the Most trams. The weather had taken a turn for the worst with fine rain for most of the day, the Komorary crocodiles were not as easy to access as the Sokolov mining locomotives to access and there are not as many of them, in fact we only saw 3, although some have been transferred to the Sokolov network.

We initially found two parked up on the exchange sidings which passes under the main line between Most and Sokolov, this is the only time casual travellers are likely to get a glance of these beast. The third one we found shunting empties from an over bridge at the side of the complex. We spent most of the day at Trebusice before returning to Most for our last night in the apartment. We did have a slightly less hectic day and still accomplished what we set out to do, find the Most Crocodiles.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1873424029371774&type=3

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 6). Friday 14th September 2018.

After a good night’s sleep in the apartment at Most, both Rob and I made our way down to the railway station to catch a train to take us into Usti nad Labem Zapad, but via Bilina and Uporiny as we both needed the line, I`d arranged to meet Petr there and he was waiting for us byside the platforms as we arrived. The three of us then went on to the depot and with Petr being Czech, it was easier for him to ask permission to visit.

We had a fantastic depot visit and then Petr took us back to his local pub and treated us to a traditional Czech lunch, it was lovely. Sadly, Petr had to rush off afterwards as he was driving a train up to Hamburg, so Rob and I made our way down the river to take a few photographs from around Masaryk river locks at Střekov.

We later returned to Zapad and caught a train up to Decin hl n, not much on the locomotive depot, but a transferred Belgium SNCB Class 21 was parked up near the station. We later boarded a train back to Prague for the night and found a very handy hostel just across from the main railway station, the Hostel Ibex, the rail tour started the following day, so we had an earlyish night for a 06.30 start.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1878668652180645&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 7). Saturday 15th September 2018.

First day of the rail tour, we were up early at the Ibex and out on the platforms as dawn was breaking, it was great to see double-headed Grumpy`s on the front of our train and nice to catch up with all our Euro trotting mates. This trip was a bit different in that it had a buffet car in tow as well as a free bar, so we had breakfast on the train and all our meals throughout the both days. We were treated to locos 751-004 and 749-107 and both locos performed very well.

The Route on Saturday: Praha hln – Bakov nad Jizerou – Dolní Bousov – Libuň (rvse & run 751004/749107 round) – Střeleč quarry (rvse) – Libuň – Ploužnice (rvse & set down) – Libuň (rvse) – Ploužnice (pick up) – Stará Paka – Dvůr Králové nad Labem – Jaroměř – Smiřice – Hněvčeves (rvse) – Ostroměř (rvse) – Stará Paka (if on time split train/photo-stop/parallel running) – Lomnice nad Popelkou – Libuň – Turnov – Liberec (rvse & set down) – Liberec ‘south’ (rvse) – Liberec tram depot (rvse) – Liberec ‘south’ (rvse) – Liberec-Rochlice (rvse) – Liberec. (356kms).

Had a great laugh with the guys and good selection of photostops and plenty of warm sunshine, one of the highlights of the day was managing to get the train down the branch and into Liberec tram depot of all places and we were all very quick to run round the depot snapping away, before our train headed back up the branch and took us back to Liberec railway station. A few of the beer monsters went out on the town after we arrived, but Rob and I had drank enough. Rob had found a nice Penzion pub close to the station, separate rooms too and very cheap, ideal with en suite bathrooms, telly, the works, so we both slept well that night.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1879376862109824&type=3

87electric

Bizarrely I just spent 7th to 11th Sept in Usti Nad Labem. Not all for trains though.
Great Czech reports there.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 8). Sunday 16th September 2018.

Day two of the rail tour and it was another early start from Liberec. Breakfast again on the train, with snacks, dinner and tea and it wasn’t long before the beer was flowing again. I`m not really a drinker, but managed about 9 pints on the second day, those Czech micro-breweries really do produce the goods and new barrels of different brews were coming on tap throughout the tour.

We did a few more new lines including the one the trees fell across the line in the storm last year, had another great laugh and spent a day in some fantastic company. Sadly, it seemed all too soon that we were pulling back into Prague. We said our goodbyes to everyone, lots of tears, it had been a fantastic tour, a big well done to Russell our fearless organiser for doing another outstanding job, catch you guys again in February 2019, already booked my flights.

Rob and I made our way to the Prague Moon Hotel and Hostel, which was alright, but not as grand as it sounded, we did however sleep well again.

The route on Sunday 16.09.18: Liberec – Frýdlant v Čechách – Černousy – Zawidów (PKP) (rvse) – Černousy – Frýdlant v Čechách (rvse) – Jindřichovice pod Smrkem (rvse) – Frýdlant v Čechách – Liberec (pick up) – Tanvald (rvse) – Železný Brod (rvse) – Stará Paka (rvse) – Martinice v Krkonoších (rvse) – Jilemnice (if we are on time) (rvse) – Martinice v Krkonoších – Kunčice nad Labem (rvse) – Vrchlabi (rvse) – Kunčice nad Labem (rvse) – Martinice v Krkonoších – Stará Paka (rvse & run 751001 round) – Libuň – Dolní Bousov (rvse & run 751001 round) – Kopidlno (rvse) – Nymburk mĕsto – Poříčany – Praha Bĕchovice – Praha Malešice – Praha Vršovice – Praha hln (set down) – Praha Libeň – Praha Malešice – Praha Vršovice – Praha hln (terminate). (422 kms).

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1879822235398620&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic, (Day 9). Monday 17th September 2018

I was up early at the Prague Moon, and said my goodbyes to Rob who was still in a bunk with flickering eyelids and I made my way back to Prague Hlvani Nadrazi, it was my last day in this beautiful country and I was flying back to the UK later that afternoon. I first made my way down to Prague Masarykovo as a Grumpy had been set up with the president’s train as an exhibition, but was it was closed all day, museums appear to close on Mondays in both Czech and Slovakia, so I had to make do with a few photographs with the closed gates in front.

I next went back to Hlvani Nadrazi and took a train to one of Prague’s other stations, Vršovice to walk out to Vršovice locomotive depot. I was given permission to wonder around, this was probably my forth visit now, and I was surprised to find a steam loco in the depot, a nice find, I expect its been working a rail tour.
I later returned to Hlvani Nadrazi for the last hour or so before I had to catch the AE bus, Airport Express to Václav Havel. My flight back to Liverpool was a sombre one, I feel so attached to the Czech Republic, its railways and its people, such lovely people who will go out of their way to help anyone. The week had gone so quickly, but I soon booked again for the next rail tour in February 2019, roll on.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.1880568921990618&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Austria, (Day 1). Sunday 3rd February 2019.

The first European trip of 2019. I had a two-day NFP Rail tour starting from Prague, mainly around the south west of the country and crossing the German border at Železná Ruda Alžbĕtín. I then decided to do a trip around most of the major Austrian rail centres, travelling from Prague to Vienna via Breclav and travelling the full length of the country and crossing the Italian border to the top of the Brenner Pass, and returning to the Czech Republic, via Ceske Budejovice and Prague for my flight back to the UK.

Rail tour Route: Day 1, Sunday 03.02.19: Praha hln – Praha Smíchov (pick up) – Rudná u Prahy – Beroun – Ejpovice – Stupno (reverse) – Radnice (reverse) – Stupno (reverse) – Ejpovice (reverse) – Plzeň hln –Staňkov – Pobĕžovice (reverse) – Domažlice – Janovice nad Úhlavou – Klatovy. (296kms).

Rail tour Route: Day 2, Monday 04.02.19: Klatovy – Železná Ruda Alžbĕtín (reverse) – Klatovy (pick up) – Horažďovice předmĕstí – Strakonice – Ražice – Písek – Milevsko – Tábor – Horní Cerekev – Jihlava – Havlíčkův Brod – Kolín – Praha hln (terminate). (521 kms).

I had a late flight out of Liverpool airport Saturday evening on a Ryanair, £18 each way to Prague. Landing in the Czech Republic capital just after 22.00 with a taxi waiting for me at the airport which took me to the Safestay Hostel, Prague. I had three free rooms booked courtesy of the company for a minor issue I had while staying in one of the company’s outlet, the York hostel. The Safestays are really a step up from your normal hostels and really want checking out, very clean professionally run establishments and located in some lovely and interesting building.

I was up and out of the Safestay for 06.00, with the short underground trip to get me into Prague hlavní nádraží. The stock was already waiting in the platform behind Grumpy diesel loco 749 121-0. Nice to catch up with a few of the guys and we settled in for the two-day rail tour. The free beer was flowing early doors and we had snow falling for most of the day, it was a great tour, covering a few new lines for me and finishing for the first night in the town of Klatovy.

Quite a few of us had booked in at the Wellness hotel Central, which was a little overpriced for what you got, but because they had booked most of the tour it took me an hour to check in with only one overworked girl on the reception desk, it was turned 22.00 when I finally got into my room, it had been a good first day of the tour though.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2076248445755997&type=3

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a great trip so far.

Indeed the snow was quite something when I paid a brief visit in January from Nürnberg to Linz via Cheb and Plzeň.

It's a country I've grown to really love. Will be having my first dedicated visit next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.