• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred's Europe and Asia trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds like an interesting place, I'm not sure if I fancy visiting myself though. Interesting that the locals were military clothing, I'm assuming there's a good reason for that!

Yes fascinating Tech, the country still has a National Subscription to the Army, plus they are still fighting over the Crimea of course, but its safe enough.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Kiev, Ukraine, (Day 2). Saturday 4th May 2019.

My second visit to the Ukraine and first visit to the Capital ay Kiev. I was flying in on the Friday and leaving the following Friday. I was staying at a guest house some 10 minutes’ walk away from the main railway stations, Central and Southern. My intention was essentially to travel the suburban lines, photograph freight and main lines passenger workings, Metro underground network and tram routes, with a day`s visit to Chernobyl and Pripyat.

My first full day in the City and I was up and out of my accommodation for 06.00 and down on the platforms of Kiev Pasazhyrskyi, (Central Station), and the Southern station which is adjoined to it and provides the Suburban services within a large regional area of Kiev, part of which have low level platforms for trains operating on a circuitous route around the City to and from Darnytsia. Darnytsia has a large freight yard and is a very active area for enthusiasts with an electric EMU depot located to the East of the main railway station.

After spending some time around the Central area I caught a suburban service around the inner loop to Darnytsia, and stayed for a few hours, on returning however the regional service dropped everyone off and then took me into the depot, no one told me about this and I suddenly found myself alone on the train and I didn’t know where I was, apparently the suburban services that operate around the inner loop only work in peak hours and stop around 11.00am. Being dropped in a depot however was a god send for an enthusiast of course, so I climbed down from the train and had a wonder around the yard, taking a few photographs as I went, before walking down the main line and finding a local tram to take me back into Kiev central area.

I arrived by tram back into the central area and eventually found the Metro, which wasn’t easy to find and not very well marked. I did however go underground and travelled the entirety of the Red Line M1, a beautiful spacious Metro network of three lines under the City, although the Red Line does come above ground as it crosses the river.

I finally returned to Kiev Pasazhyrskyi, (Central Station) and later took tea in the City before retiring back to my guest house and having had a very satisfying and full day in Kiev.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev-Pasazhyrskyi_railway_station

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2204113056302868&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes fascinating Tech, the country still has a National Subscription to the Army, plus they are still fighting over the Crimea of course, but its safe enough.

I must confess to not knowing either of those facts. Is Kiev worth visiting purely from a tourist point of view? I'm not overly fussed about their trains, I suspect a single day in Kiev would be plenty.

shredder1

Established Member
I must confess to not knowing either of those facts. Is Kiev worth visiting purely from a tourist point of view? I'm not overly fussed about their trains, I suspect a single day in Kiev would be plenty.

Yes well worth a visit Tech, its an amazing city, Lviv however is Ukraine`s jewel in the crow for tourism.

shredder1

Established Member
Kiev, Ukraine, Chernobyl. (Day 3). Full Album, Sunday 5th May 2019.

My second visit to the Ukraine and first visit to the Capital ay Kiev. I was flying in on the Friday and leaving the following Friday. I was staying at a guest house some 10 minutes’ walk away from the main railway stations, Central and Southern. My intention was essentially to travel the suburban lines, freights and main lines, Metro underground network and tram routes, with a day`s visit to Chernobyl and Pripyat.

Another early station and I was back on Kiev Central Railway Station as the sun was rising and again back on the station at the end of the day for a few evening photographs. The main part of my day was spent on the Chernobyl Tour, a mini bus tour that picked us up in the City centre. For more information please follow the links.

https://www.chernobylwel.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwiN_mBRBBEiwA9N-e_nqY21fcIynQVHIQh38jkslrgMmSYnbYfCjn0oImHT4EH8PXzE8xlRoCIx0QAvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziOusobGDVQ

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2205202482860592&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes well worth a visit Tech, its an amazing city, Lviv however is Ukraine`s jewel in the crow for tourism.

Good to know, one day I'll end up over there then :)

Not looked at your photos yet, as I'm replying while I get ready for work, but Chernobyl sounds like both a fascinating and a scary place. I don't think I could do that tour!

shredder1

Established Member
Good to know, one day I'll end up over there then :)

Not looked at your photos yet, as I'm replying while I get ready for work, but Chernobyl sounds like both a fascinating and a scary place. I don't think I could do that tour!

Yes Chernobyl was a bit scary and sad really Tech, its been on my bucket list for a while now,

shredder1

Established Member
Kiev, Ukraine, (Day 4). Monday 6th May 2019.

My second visit to the Ukraine and first visit to the Capital ay Kiev. I was flying in on the Friday and leaving the following Friday. I was staying at a guest house some 10 minutes’ walk away from the main railway stations, Central and Southern. My intention was essentially to travel the suburban lines, freights and main lines, Metro underground network and tram routes, with a day`s visit to Chernobyl and Pripyat.

Monday and I was again up early and out on the suburban platforms of the southern station, my first run out was on the circle suburban line to Darnytsia and back to Central Kiev. Next, by writing the Cyrillic letters to a destination, I was able to purchase a ticket out to a town call Fastiv, just over an hour`s run out of Kiev. Fastiv has a small marshalling yard and hump, a preserved steam loco on the platforms and an EMU depot at the end of the station, so plenty to see.

Both freight and main line locos passed through the station while I was there and also plenty of activity in the yard, so it was worth the trip out. I returned to Kiev and next started chipping away at the tram routes. The first tram I took was route number 1, part of the new LRT network to the end of the line and back. It was a dull and wet day, so after spending some time on Kiev Central, I went down on the underground again and this time completed Line 3 the Green Line.

Back above ground to complete the day on Kiev Central railway station to photograph the sleeper trains setting up for the night. I was now getting a little more used to the 33 letter Cyrillic language and lack of sign posts or English interpretations, no timetables apparently were available nor maps apart from the ones on trains, so it was a case of photographing these maps and writing out the station place names I wanted to visit. Another strange thing is there are no rover tickets or return tickets and sometimes buying a return tickets cost more than you paid to get out there, but travel is extremely cheap. Yes, it had been a good day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2206520119395495&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Certainly sounds like a nicely varied day. Your report, in conjunction with a video I watched yesterday on Belarus, has convinced me it will be a long time until I mark those countries off my map!

shredder1

Established Member
Certainly sounds like a nicely varied day. Your report, in conjunction with a video I watched yesterday on Belarus, has convinced me it will be a long time until I mark those countries off my map!

Belarus still requires visa`s unless you fly in, you can have two weeks stay visa free, I would like to visit and have seen Belarusian locos in Latvia and Lithuania.

shredder1

Established Member
Kiev, Ukraine, (Day 5). Tuesday 7th May 2019.

Another early start from the guest house and I was heading for the tram terminus for the route 18 tram to complete another line, and then returning to the Central area for the last of my Metro lines, number 3, the Blue Line. Id treated myself to a bottle of something called Highland Fox Black the night before, and although it did have a slight whisky taste about it, I feel it was something much more sinister and I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache. I still had a headache next morning, but persevered with the Highland Fox until by headache got better.

Returning to the Suburban lines, I`d book a slightly longer distance out to Repeihkaa, (if I`ve translated it properly) some two and a half hours out of Kiev. I caught up with a pair of DMU`s of the same design as I`d seen in Latvia, while a few locos where shunting in the yards, which were quite sizable and also some freight passing through the station. I returned mid afternoon and had another few hours on Kiev Central station, before taking tea in the city and later retiring to my guest house, another great day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2207372569310250&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Belarus still requires visa`s unless you fly in, you can have two weeks stay visa free, I would like to visit and have seen Belarusian locos in Latvia and Lithuania.

That's good to know I'll need a visa if I arrive by road, interesting I don't if I arrive by air.

Belarusian locos in Lithuania does not surprise me, given they're neighbours. I'm no big fan of Vilnius Central station, and the trains they use on the short run to the airport aren't much of interest either. Which I did discuss to some reasonable length in my trip report (can't remember if I posted it on the forum or not, it's certainly on my Wordpress blog - techsworldfrenzy.wordpress.com) if you're interested. However Belarusian locos in Latvia is slightly more surprising.

That whiskey-like bottle you got sounds like one to avoid, that's for sure!

shredder1

Established Member
That's good to know I'll need a visa if I arrive by road, interesting I don't if I arrive by air.

Belarusian locos in Lithuania does not surprise me, given they're neighbours. I'm no big fan of Vilnius Central station, and the trains they use on the short run to the airport aren't much of interest either. Which I did discuss to some reasonable length in my trip report (can't remember if I posted it on the forum or not, it's certainly on my Wordpress blog - techsworldfrenzy.wordpress.com) if you're interested. However Belarusian locos in Latvia is slightly more surprising.

That whiskey-like bottle you got sounds like one to avoid, that's for sure!

Yes I remember your Vilnius trip, we arrived from Poland on the new line to Kranus so cme in that way, I didnt mind Vilnius station really, especially with the shed and museum. It is a country I need to visit again.

shredder1

Established Member
Kiev, Ukraine, (Day 6). Wednesday 8th May 2019.

Up and out of the guest house for 05,00 and I took a long run out to Koziatyn, Vinnytsia Oblast (province) of western Ukraine, some 2.5 hours out of Kiev. Koziatyn is a major railway junction station with large yards, loco shed and works, located in a triangle of lines south of the station. The station building itself is magnificent and really has to be seen, while freight locos, heavy twin section VL80 (ru: ВЛ80) where all over the yards and station areas and also constantly passing through.

I tried to gain access to the depot but wasn’t allowed, the area was so busy though that I saw so many locos anyway. I spent most of the day at Koziatyn before returning to Kiev for an hour on the station and then taking tea in the town in a traditional Ukraine restaurant and later retiring to the guest house for the night, after another great day out.

https://ua.igotoworld.com/en/poi_object/75488_kazatinskiy-zheleznodorozhnyy-vokzal.htm

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2208449259202581&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Kiev, Ukraine, (Day 7). Thursday 9th May 2019.

Another overcast day with rain in the afternoon, my last full day in Kiev and my plan was to travel a few tram routes and then spend the afternoon around Kiev Darnytsia. I was again out for 06.00 and made my way down to the Central tram terminus to catch the route 18 tram to its terminus with the route 12, the longest of the tram routes. On reaching the destination of route 12. I next boarded a tram for route 17 and also completed that one, before returning to the southern station low level lines for a train out to Darnytsia.

Darnytsia station and her surrounding yards are amazing locations for freight workings, just to the south of the station is a rail crossing which lends itself to lineside photography and a constant flow of friend traffic. Indeed I was equally lucky on this visit in that a oil fired steam loco, Soviet locomotive class L Decapod running on a special, it passed through Darnytsia station and by the time I had walked over to the freight yard it came back again and as luck has it stopped in front of my for a while before passing again south, so I had the opportunity to get a few good photographs of her.

I also met up with 3 lovely young Ukraine enthusiasts who took me to the bottom of the year to see a rebuilt 2M62, on half only, but warned me to be quiet, nasty guards with guns they told me. Lots of freight constantly moving in the through the yards, this is a very busy location and no one appears to bother you wondering around the tracks.

The rain became heavier though and I returned to the station and caught a service train back into Kiev Central for my final photographs of the day, before taking tea in the City and then retiring for my last night in the guest house. It had been a great last full day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2210029925711181&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Certainly looks like you had a couple of good days there, I must confess you've not convinced me to do Ukraine though! To be fair that's also down to a major re-think of my travelling plans, instead of doing every country in Europe I've revised it to do the last couple which appeal the most and focus on the long-haul stuff I want to do. I'm not far from achieving my wishlist after all!

shredder1

Established Member
Certainly looks like you had a couple of good days there, I must confess you've not convinced me to do Ukraine though! To be fair that's also down to a major re-think of my travelling plans, instead of doing every country in Europe I've revised it to do the last couple which appeal the most and focus on the long-haul stuff I want to do. I'm not far from achieving my wishlist after all!

I`ll certainly be back to the Ukraine, an amazing country, but you sound like your doing alright, I tend to be concentrating on individual countries at the moment instead of flitting around, I`m next out to Czech and Poland in July, a 5 day interrail in Poland only and Milan in early October with a 5 day Interrail around Italy

shredder1

Established Member
Kiev, Ukraine, (Day 8). Friday 10th May 2019.

My final day in this beautiful city and I flew back to the UK at midday, so I was up early and down to the railway station to take my final photographs of the trip, before catching my train back to Borispil airport. It was a very bright and sunny morning.

At the allotted time I went to the ticket machine to buy a ticket for the airport, but it wouldn’t accept my card and I`d used most of my Ukraine cash, I tried another ticket machine, but this wasn’t working either, I then had to go to the far end of the station and wait at a ticket window, but when I got to the end of the queue I was told this machine wasn’t working either, I counted out my Ukraine UAH and had 70, the fare was 80, (about £2.00), so I was told a working ATM was available at the other end of the station, I raced back through the tunnels, rucksack and camera on my back and by this time sweating profusely, cashed another 50 UAH and raced back to the window, I pushed to the front of the queue this time I`m afraid and purchased my ticket, I arrived up on the platform as the guard was waving the train out, I made it within seconds, had I missed this train, I believe, I would have had a week to wait for another flight, if presumably it wasn’t booked up. It had taken me 45 minutes to buy a ticket.

The flight back to Manchester was uneventful and I arrived back into Manchester to be greeted by rain, it had been an absolutely fantastic trip though, and I`ll more definitely be back.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2210139175700256&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What a fascinating trip.
I’d love to have a look around that part of the world.
I’ve never been to anywhere in Eastern Europe.
Nasty guards with guns..? o_O

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looks like it was quite an unfun last part of Ukraine there, very fortunate you made that train!

Your upcoming trips sound interesting too!

shredder1

Established Member
What a fascinating trip.
I’d love to have a look around that part of the world.
I’ve never been to anywhere in Eastern Europe.
Nasty guards with guns..? o_O

Hi mate, hope your well, yes it was great the Ukraine, must get back again, lots of old Russian stuff and so cheap

shredder1

Established Member
Looks like it was quite an unfun last part of Ukraine there, very fortunate you made that train!

Your upcoming trips sound interesting too!

Yes a bit touch and go there for a moment, its all a learning curve though, I could have got a taxi to the airport I guess for about a tenner, lol

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 1), Thursday 4th July 2019.

I had two weeks booked for roaming around the Czech Republic and Poland, an NFP Grumpy Rail tour on the first Sunday out and then up to Poland for a 5-day Interrail.

I flew into Prague from Liverpool, late on Wednesday evening and took accommodation at the Safe stay for the first 5 nights at Narodni Trida. Day 1 and I was off down to Jindrichuv Railway, (Jindřichohradecké místní dráhy), as I wanted to complete the line up to Obratan. I caught an early train from Prague Hlavni nadrazi to Veseli nad Luznici and then a local service out to Jindrichuv Hradec. I completed the line up to Obratan, but sadly in one of the single railcars, which are horrible things, real bone shakers for a narrow gauge railway and with port holes for windows, I don`t know whose idea it was to buy these for the railway, but it was one big mistake. I returned to Veseli nad Luznici and then back up to Prague Hlavni nadrazi.

Every time I go to Prague I always try to complete a few tram routes end to end and on this evening I took tram 22, which also diverts to the depot at, but essentially and eventually took me to Nadrazi Hostivar from Narodni Trida, so I only completed half of tram route 22 on this day and then retired to the Safestay for the night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jindřichohradecké_místní_dráhy

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2315980701782769&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 2), Friday 5th July 2019.

I had two weeks booked for roaming around the Czech Republic and Poland, an NFP Grumpy Rail tour on the first Sunday out and then up to Poland for a 5-day Interrail.

Day two and I was again heading south from Prague Hlavni nadrazi, the same 07.30 train actually back to Veseli nad Luznici as I`d ran out of time the day before to complete what I wanted to do, and that was the lines from Veseli nad Luznici to Ceske Velenice, on the Austrian border, which was being operated by a Goggle, and then the line up to Ceske Budejovice with a visit to the depot. The lovely shed foreman allowed me around the depot, my 5th visit here and always something new to see.

I returned to Prague Hlavni nadrazi, and took the tram back to my accommodation at Narodni Trida and then completed tram route 22 out to the other end at Bila Hora where I found a nice traditional Czech pub service an excellent Guláš (goulash), before returning on the tram back to Narodni Trida and the Safestay hostel for the night, it had been a good day with a few new lines in the bag.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2318752161505623&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 3). Saturday 6th July 2019.

I was again up and out early from the Safestay, lots happening in Prague on the railway with a few unusual workings, I arrived on the platforms at Hlavni Nadrazi to find top and tail Grumpys on local workings and with vintage coaching stock, I also bumped into a few of the lads who were on Sundays railtour. I had no specific plans for the day so boarded the Grumpys which went out as far as Vsetaty and split there, with one half going out to Jicin and the other section going to Melnik. I chose the Melnik half.

From Melnic I left the Grumpy and took a local service back to Vsetaty and then picked up a service to Usti nad Labem Zapad, but on reaching Libechov the train came to a halt, someone had been hit on a level crossing and the line was closed until the emergency services arrived, we were stopped there for an hour and a half. Once the train got moving again, we passed the scene of the accident, with the body covered by a black sheet and the poor soul’s rucksack further up the track.

We eventually arrived Zapad and since I`d not been on this route before, it was also new track for me. I walked out to the locomotive depot and was very kindly allowed around and managed to get around the scrap lines without setting the motion alarms off too, unless they turn them off through the day. These have been put in place to help stop the gypsies pinching metal parts from the locomotives. A large encampment of gypsies live not far away from the depot and the railway have had issues of this kind before.

After an excellent shed visit, I took a bus from the depot to the main railway station HL n and caught a train back on the direct route to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi, I then took tram route 18 from the city to Spojovaci and then to Sidiste Repy before retiring to the Safestay Hostel, it had been another great day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2320746061306233&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 4), Sunday 7th July 2019.

The day of the rail tour and I was down on Prague hln early and caught up with loads of the lads, our train came in behind Grumpy IDS Cargo 749 162-4. The usually crew were not on this trip apart from Scouse Graham and Salisbury Mark and I couldn’t find them as the train arrived, so I went in a compartment and dropped my bag on an empty seat and then went out on the platform to take a few shots of the loco. I was however approached by some moaning old fart crying about I had just dumped my bag on a seat in a compartment that was already taken, the majority of guys on these tours are great but you do get the odd ones, anyway I didn’t like his attitude and blasted him before he slithered away and then took my bag off of what I though was a free seat, (how are you suppose to know unless you can read minds). I caught up with Salisbury Mark and we shared a compartment with two other guys.

The trip was fantastic and Russell had pulled all the stops out as usual, many amongst issues in the planning and last-minute changes. The first major line for me was the Morina Lomy quarry, this was a great piece of new track and quite lengthy too. Sadly, this was only a one-day tour, but it certainly made up for it, the free ale flowed all day long and everyone was happy, I managed a few sections of new track, so it was worth the effort and it great to catch up with the guys again. Well done Russell on another fantastic rail tour.

The itinerary was, Praha hln – Praha Smícho– Rudná u Prahy – Nučice – Mořina Lomy (quarry) – Nučice – Rudná u Prahy – Hostivice – Praha Zličín – Praha Smíchov (severní nástupištĕ) – Praha hln – the trip then continued to Kolín – Bečváry – Zásmuky – Bošice – Kouřim – Pečky – Praha hln – Dobříš – Praha hln. 350kms (10 reversals). I however had an early start to get into Poland, plus I`d travelled down to Dobris before so left the train at Prague hln which was around teatime and gave me chance of an earlyish night.

Before I retired however I did the number 18 tram route from Národní třída, my hostel location, to Nadrazi Podbaba and to the other end at Vozovna Pankrac, where another large tram depot is located. I had tea in a local restaurant and retired to the Safestay for an early night.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2325954927452013&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 5). Monday 8th July 2019.

With 4 days behind me in Czech Republic, I was heading towards Poland, but wanted to spend a few hours at Ostrava on the way through, so I left the Safestay early and caught an express out to Hranice Na Morave for a change to Ostrava hl n.

Ostrava is an amazing junction and one I`ve visited many times, always something interesting passing through or indeed on shed. I made my way over the footbridge to the depot and was very kindly given permission to go around, I really don`t have enough praise for the Czech Railway men, these people allow us around their place of work without concern and we equally give that respect back and always thank them on the way out, absolutely lovely people who appreciate our interest.

to be more Grumpy`s lined up in the scrap yard since my last visit. I made my way back to the railway station and booked tickets for a train into Poland Krakow where I was staying for the night, I`d booked a train that wasn’t due until 14.09 in the afternoon, so that gave me a few hours on Ostrava railway station photting the passing freights.

My train arrived, it was a Hungary to Krakow with one half going to Warsaw via Katowice, so I boarded the train at Ostrava and it split at Bohumin on the Czech Polish border, unfortunately, although I was in the right seat in the right coach, they split the coaches leaving my coach on the Warsaw bit, I`m not sure how the shunters got this wrong but they did, so I missed on some new track from Bohumin to Krakow, and instead diverted via Katowice and then had to catch a stopper from Katowice to Krakow and I arrived two and a half hours later than I intended to do, but no bit issue really.

I walked across the town and into the old town to my accommodation for the night, but after walking across the city, I was told that my apartment block was actually located in another location, so one of the girls took me to it, it was again a fair old walk but back in the direction I`d just walked, but closer to the railway station. I`d booked a hostel and got a private room, it was great and only cost around a tenner for the night, so no complaints there. I took a cool shower, dropped off my gear and went out in the old city for a pint before having an early night, I slept well that night and was about to start the rest of my holiday in Poland with 7 wonderful days in front of me.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2327591333955039&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 6). Tuesday 9th July 2019.

The first day of my 5-day Polish Interrail and I was up and out of the apartment and on an early local train down to Zakopane in the shadow of the Tatra Mountains, the first time I`d seen them from the Polish side and it was a great journey down there. I had a few hours wait in Zakopane before a train was going back north again but for a local service was due to leave for Nowy Targ, so I caught this, before catching an Intercity service back down to Zakopane, having a quick look around the town and then taking an Intercity service back up to Krakow.

We passed by the excellent preserved line and museum at Skawa Srodkowa, (Skansen Taboru Kolejowgo w Chadowce), which runs from Skawa to Mszana Dolna, a line I must visit at some point. On arrival back into Krakow I caught a direct service to the Ukraine border at Przemysl Glowny, arriving after dark.

I`d arrived at Przemsyl just before 22.00 and was tempted to cross the border and travel into the Ukraine to Lviv, as a train was leaving around midnight, but I didn’t have the days left for what I wanted to do in Poland so instead I waited for the next train west to take me up to Warsaw which left around 04.00, so after a stroll around Przemsyl after dark, not very exciting, and also a wonder around the platforms and getting pulled my security, I returned to the station to grab a few hours’ sleep on a station bench inside the waiting room. I`d mainly been travelling, but had a bigger day of travelling the next day.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2327833163930856&type=3

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Poland, (Day 7). Wednesday 10th July 2019.

I nodded off in the night on the benches inside Przemysl Glowny station waiting room and also had the company of around 10 other fellow travellers waiting for the 04.00 train west, as the dawn broke, I was back out on the platforms and photographing the early morning workings, I boarded my early train to Warsaw and probably slept for a good bit of the journey.

I left the train at Warsaw Centralna and took a local service back to Warsaw Wschodia (East station) and my favourite out of the three main railway stations for photography. After an hour or so on the platforms I caught an express Intercity service up to Gdynia and the sun was setting in the sky by the time I had arrived, so it had essentially taken me a full day to travel from Przemysl to Gdynia. However, I needed a second night without a bed as I was heading for Szczecin and later Swinoujscie on the German border the next day, so again I had to run on trains through the night and I was now waiting for a late night train to take to down to Poznan with a change for Szczecin.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melling.104/media_set?set=a.2329452003768972&type=3

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks amazing. So different over there.
When you said that there were top and tail Grumpy’s on local workings with vintage stock at Hlavni Nadrazi, was that normal or had it been laid on for you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.