• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shreds European Trips, Volume 2.

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 1. Sunday 1st May 2022.

My first trip out of the country since 2020 and a return to Central and Eastern Europe, mainly visited Czech Republic and Slovakia, but also calling in at Poland and Hungary. I was also trialling my first Interrail mobile ticket which worked very well. I was also booked on a two-day Grumpy Rail tour, hitting a few new branch-lines for me. I flew into and out of Prague, it was nice to be back.

A decent timed flight by Ryanair from Manchester saw me landing in Prague just after lunch and I caught the AE bus right into the city centre and after a quick look around the platforms, I was soon on a train through the tunnels and into Prague Vrsovice railway station, from where I walked out to the sheds.

Plenty of locomotives on Prague sheds, and like all depots in the Czech Republic, the “Strojmistrie”, (Running shed foreman), let me wonder around, it’s basically like being back in the UK in the 1970`s and 1980`s before the health and safety band wagon came in.

My next move was a train from Prague Vrsovice to Prague Holesovice, my room for the night was about a 20-minute walk from the station, I slept well that night, despite it only being a small room.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, (Day 2). Monday 2nd May 2022.

My first trip out of the country since 2020 and a return to Central and Eastern Europe, mainly visiting Czech Republic and Slovakia, but also calling in at Poland and Hungary. I was also trialling my first Interrail mobile ticket which worked very well. I was also distributing my late mate Rob Levers ashes in various locations as I travelled around, in addition I had booked on a two-day Grumpy Rail tour, hitting a few new branch-lines for me. I flew into and out of Prague, it was nice to be back in Europe.

I was on an early start from my accommodation and after a few minutes’ walk in the dark, managed to catch an early tram to get me to one of the metro stations which took me directly into Prague`s main railway station. After a quick visit to the station supermarket for some supplies for the day, I was out on the 06.12 train heading for Breclav, arriving at 09.52 and catching up with a little sleep on the train. Breclav yard was as busy as ever, and I was soon over the tracks and into the Strojmistries office for permission to visit.

It was bright sunshine and lots of different liveried locos on shed including Polish, Slovakian and Austrian examples, so a great visit was had. I returned to the station and then boarded the 10.35 to Prerov arriving at 12.16. I noticed two of the class 12 ex Belgium locos still parked behind the depot, so went to photograph these again, as I was last there 2 years ago. I then made my way to the shed foreman’s office. I had the privilege of being taken around the works and depot complex by the Technical Manager, a really lovely chap who spoke reasonably good English, I had an excellent visit.

Returning to the platforms my next move was a train at 13.13 to Bohumin, getting in for 14.16, with a quick change for a train into Poland at 14.46 arriving into Rybnik, a depot I visit regularly for 15.25. I walked over to the depot and had an excellent visit, I’ve never been able to find a shed foreman at Rybnik to ask, but if I see anyone, I usually just point to my camera and put my thumbs up and they seem alright with it.
Most of the withdrawn PKP ET 41`s have now been removed, but it’s still a busy depot. I returned to the railway station and next train I caught was the 16.59 back into the Czech Republic, arriving into Ostrava Hln for 18.07, and my accommodation for the night. I stayed at the Hostel Moravia, a private room with shared bathroom, £15 a night, Id booked two nights as I was meeting up with a Facebook friend and Ostrava locomotive driver the following day, I slept very well that night.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 3. Tuesday 3rd May 2022.

My first trip out of the country since 2020 and a return to Central and Eastern Europe, mainly visiting Czech Republic and Slovakia, but also calling in at Poland and Hungary. I was also trialling my first Interrail mobile ticket which worked very well. I was also distributing my late mate Rob Levers ashes in various locations as I travelled around, in addition I had booked on a two-day Grumpy Rail tour, hitting a few new branch-lines for me. I flew into and out of Prague, it was nice to be back in Europe.

A nice laying for a change, not leaving my accommodation until 07.00. I walked down to the main train station and caught a train up to Bohumin and did a shed visit, there’s always a good selection of locos on the depot, including Polish locos, this being a border station between the Czech Republic and Poland.

I returned to Ostrava and also visited the depot, a large depot for CD Cargo, always a lot on shed and I’ve always been allowed around, such lovely people the Czechs and Slovaks who readily allow you permission to visit their place of work, what a privilege it is and I do hope its sometime yet before it follows the UK`s health and safety paranoia.

I was meeting a Facebook friend “Vita”, one of CD Cargos locomotive drivers. I met Vita at 10.30, in front of Ostrava`s loco sheds, although my Czech isn’t great and Vita`s English isn’t perfect, we did manage to communicate reasonably well. At first Vita took me in his car, and across the Polish border to visit the yard at Chalupki, always a few locos stabled there. We returned to one of Ostrava`s large hump yards and I was treated to a cab ride in one of the large shunters, while we assembled a train. I was invited to a cab ride with Vita, but his train was cancelled, so he later took me to have a look at the steel works which has been turned into a museum, it’s quite an amazing layout, well done to the fathers of Ostrava for preserving such an important part of the town’s industrial history.

Vita dropped me off at Ostrava Hl n railway station as he had to be somewhere else, and I caught a train up to Ceska Tesin, with the intension of crossing the Polish border again and heading for the depot at Czchowice Driedzice but the border train wasn’t operating and I didn’t fancy walking across into Poland, although I have done it in the past.

Instead, I returned to Ostrava Stred, the town centre and took a meal in one of the towns restaurants. The restaurant was an experience by itself, I placed my order and was given a flashing disc to take to my table, some ten minutes later, this robot thing was making its way over to my table, it had a computer screen as a facing and it was smiling, weirdly, it arrived at my take, gave me my meal and then held its over arm out, at first I thought it wanted a tip, but then realised it was asking for the disc back, (it only spoke in Czech), so I gave it the disc and it rolled off into the kitchen, gone.

I returned to Ostrava Hl n and walked back to my accommodation, George the manager was around and made me a lovely ginger tea, I later showered and jump in to bed, what a fantastic day Id had and how lovely to meet Vita at last.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a great trip so far.

I've just returned from a week in Central Europe and thoroughly enjoyed it- again my first time since 2020. In the Czech Republic I spent a day doing a few of the branches out west- Including Domažlice to Plana- 2h30 on an 810 railbus!

I've all the time in the world for Czechs and their railway network. Always a pleasure to use.

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds like a great trip so far.

I've just returned from a week in Central Europe and thoroughly enjoyed it- again my first time since 2020. In the Czech Republic I spent a day doing a few of the branches out west- Including Domažlice to Plana- 2h30 on an 810 railbus!

I've all the time in the world for Czechs and their railway network. Always a pleasure to use.

Thank you, yes indeed a truly amazing network, I always feel at home over there.

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 4. Wednesday 4th May 2022.

After two great nights in Ostrava and meeting up with Vita, my Facebook friend and driver for CD Cargo, I was on another early start, catching a train at 06.27 to Zilina, with a quick change for a train to Spisska Nova Ves, a depot I visit regularly and home to Slovakians twin bodied class 131`s which operate the large coal trains. It was excellent weather again, and very hot.

After my depot visit at Spisska Nova Ves, I caught the 13.09 to Kosice. I do like Kosice and have visited many times, I made my way out to the loco sheds and had an excellent visit, I didn’t bother going out to the broad-gauge depot this time, which is out towards the US Steel Works. Platform remodelling is taking place at Kosice and Zilina, modernising both stations and bringing platform heights to European standards, both stations resemble building sites at the moment. instead of going out to Kosice broad gauge depot, instead I opted to move towards the Ukraine border at Cierna nad Tisou, another favourite depot which has standard gauge and half broad gauge, I was granted permission by the lovely shed master and again the depot was well stocked.

Safter my depot visit, I walked down the yard to Cierna nad Tisou railway station and had just under an hour to wait for what was the last train back to Kosice. The 19.54 got me into Kosice for 21.49 with minutes to spare for the overnight 21.57 direct to Prague Hl n a 10-hour journey on the cushions, (sleepers need to be booked well in advance), with grippers waking me up around every 3 hours to see my mobile ticket, despite this however, I did manage to obtain some sleep.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 5. Thursday 5th May 2022.

The 10-hour overnighter on the cushions from Kosice to Prague Hl n, which wasn’t too bad apart from being work up by grippers every few hours. The train was half an hour down by the time we arrived into Prague, so Id missed my planned connection through to Ceske Budejovice, my next port of call. This however gave me chance for a quick wash and bush up and a visit to the supermarket for supplies and a breakfast, and I was intime for the 09.15 to Ceske Budejovice. Engineering work was again taking place on the line so this required a change to a rail replacement bus en route, but didn’t hold me up too much.

On arrival at Ceske Budejovice, the station was still being upgraded, they seem to have been doing this for years now, the main issue for me though was they had removed the luggage lockers and didn’t have a left luggage office, so I had to walk out to the depot with my 10 KG rucksack on my back and it was turning into a very hot day.

I had a great depot visit with lots of locos on shed as usual. I then returned to Ceske Budejovice railway station and made the journey back into Prague Hl n with the bus replacement service mid-way up the line. I caught the 13.57 to Prague, and met up with a few of the guys who were on the Grumpy tour for the next few days. I later took a train to Pardubice where the rail tour picked up from on the Friday morning.
Id booked accommodation in the town in one of the Penzions, it was about a 25-minute walk from the station, but I went via Pardubice locomotive depot which had 3 Grumpy diesels on shed, albeit one in shell mode.

I eventually arrived at Penzion TCV Pardubice Brožíkova 550, Pardubice, but the girl on the desk couldn’t understand English and was trying to charge me twice as much as Id booked in for, I had a feeling that they had messed up with the booking in some way, so after showing her by booking reference and getting no sense from her, I walked out and caught a bus back to the railway station. Once back at the railway station I tried to find alternative accommodation in Pardubice on Booking.com, but there was nothing showing, I did however find accommodation for the night in Kolin, so I booked the room and they accepted it and I gave them an estimate of what time I thought I’d be there. It was a train ride away, I arrived into Kolin just after 21.00 and took a taxi out to the accommodation which was the Pension Inspirace a Wellness, Prazka 167, Kolin, the taxi dropped me off, but it was locked up for the night, apparently no one had waited for me and when I phoned them, they said they had cancelled it, even though they knew I was on my way, I didn’t even get an apology, in fact they listed me on Booking.com as a no show, cheeky sods.

I couldn’t find anywhere else to stay, so made my way back to Kolin railway station and caught a train back to Pardubice and spent the night on the station. My second night without a proper bed, but it was fine, a busy station with the gypsies camping out in the main hall for the night, and plenty of freight to keep me busy on the platforms, I tried to get what sleep I could in-between. Generally it had been a good day.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 6. Friday 6th May 2022.

After a restless night on the platforms of Pardubice, the lads were beginning to arrive for the North East Bohemian Summer Grumpy tour, and then our train arrived with two Grumpy`s top and tail, 749 247-3 and 751-232-0.

The route for day 1 of the tour was:

Pardublice hln – Moravany – Borohrádek – Týništĕ nad Orlicí (reverse) – Doudleby nad Orlicí – Rokytnice v Orlických horách (reverse) – Doudleby nad Orlicí – Týništĕ nad Orlicí – Václavice – Starkoč (reverse)– Václavice (reverse) – Teplice nad Metují – Mezimĕstí (reverse) – Broumov (reverse) – Mezimĕstí (reverse) – Teplice nad Metují (reverse) – Adršpach – Trutnov hln – Pilníkov (reverse) – Trutnov hln (reverse) – Svoboda nad Úpou (Reverse) – Trutnov hln.

The tour was largely on time with a 4 hour break at Trutnov followed by a late trip up the branch to Svoboda nad Upou, I skipped on this however as I wanted an early night to catch up on my much needed sleep. I was booked into a lovely hotel, some 10 minutes walk from the railway station, the Hotel Patria, after a pizza tea in a local restaurant, I was back in the hotel and slept like a baby that night, it had been a great first tour day and great to catch up with the lads again.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 7. Saturday 7th May 2022.

The final day of the for the North East Bohemian Summer Grumpy tour, and then our train arrived with two Grumpy`s top and tail, 749 247-3 and 751-232-0.

The route for day 2 of the tour was:

Trutnov hln – Trutnov Poříčí (reverse) – Královec (reverse) – Trutnov Poříčí – (reverse) – Trutnov hln [pick up] – Kunčice nad Labem – Stará Paka – Ostroměř (reverse) – Hradec Králové (reverse) – Týništĕ nad Orlicí – Choceň (reverse) – Litomyšl (reverse) – Choceň (reverse) – Moravany – Přelouc (reverse) – Prachovice (reverse) – Přelouc (reverse) – Pardubice.

Another great day with a lot of new lines under my belt, we arrived back into Pardubice on time and day 2 went very smoothly also, so a big well done to Russell of NFP Grumpy Railtours, another fantastic rail tour and one organised under very difficult conditions, this was the first one back after the Covid cancellations.

After saying my goodbyes to everyone, (lots of tears and stuff), I was on the next train back into Prague Hl n, and then on the Germany to Budapest sleeper, from Prague to Budapest. The sleeper was delayed by 15 minutes, and I was unable to book a sleeping compartment, so it was another night on the cushions, but even that didn’t go to plan, as Ill explain in the next exciting installment, stay tuned.

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 8. Sunday 8th May 2022.

I settled in on the Berlin to Budapest service for the night, and was dosing off on the cushions when a gripper woke me up and he told me I’d have to get off the train and wait on the station for 3 hours, this was the middle of the night. What they do is take the Budapest sleeping coaches off the train and push them into an empty platform for a few hours with everyone on it being left to sleep through, but the day coaches were uncoupled and taken into a siding. The station buildings didn’t even open for another hour, so I couldn’t even use the coffee machine. So, I just roamed around the platforms taking night photographs. You get some very dodgy people hanging around railway stations in the middle of the night, I’m probably one of them.

Eventually a rake of coached appeared in the platform and attached themselves to the two sleep coaches, so I crawled into one of the compartments, drew all the curtains and slept through to Budapest Nyugati, arriving in bright sunshine and fully awake, a few hours later.

After roaming around Nyugati railway station and the stabling point, I headed for Budapest Keleti, via a tram and the Metro. After a walk around Keleti station, I walked out to the locomotive depot, which although I wasn’t allowed to visit, you could see quite a lot by looking down on the yard from the road, visible were a class 52 Belgium diesel, a Nohab and two ex-British class 86`s along with two ex-British class 56 locos in Floyd livery.

I took breakfast in the Lakomativ Restaurant, an amazing place for enthusiasts, all tables have model railway sidings on them and drinks are brought round a large railway circuit by model locomotives, directly to your table.

Returning to Keleti station, I headed back on the Metro heading for Budapest Deli station. Just before the last stop however, I was pulled by grippers who told me free travel for the over 65`s from the UK is no longer valid after Brexit, no warnings, just an instant fine of “Huf 8,000”, which was about £18, so not a lot of money and it is a cheap network, but they are targeting British pensioners, which doesn’t seem ethical.

I arrived at Deli and took a selection of photographs before returning to Budapest Nyugati and spending some more time around the station. My next move was a train across to Nove Zamky, Slovakia with a visit to the locomotive depot. I was given permission to visit the depot, but half way around I fell over a flag, didn’t hurt myself so much as my camera hit the floor hard. I immediately got up and checked the camera out and the auto focusing wasn’t working, so the rest of my shed visit was on manual focus.

From Nove Zamky I boarded a train to Bratislava, as I had an hotel booked for the night in the city, I checked my camera on the train and found out that all that had happened was the auto focus button had knocked itself off, so I simply switched it on again and it’s been fine since, so very lucky, although the Nikon D810 which is what has been my stable workhorse for the last few years, has taken a few bad knocks, but is obviously a very well-made tool.

I arrived into Bratislava for 18.06, took tea in the city and then made my way to the Hotel Galeria, the most colourful hotel in Bratislava, a multi coloured building that sits proud on the hills, above Bratislava Hl n railway station and run by an aging hippy. For the sum of £15 I got a large room, 3 beds and with private bathroom, and since I hadn’t had a bath for some time, I usually shower, I decided to take a bath. Old age and tiredness however took its toll and on trying to leave the bath, my hand slipped off the side of the bath and I went crashing down back into the water, ribs bashed on the side of the bath and head smashed against the toilet’s cistern, I also sent a huge tidal wave up and over the sides of the bath, leaving the bathroom like the ballroom of the Titanic, despite having had two falls in the day, I still slept very well that night, so no harm done.

Veteran Member
I settled in on the Berlin to Budapest service for the night, and was dosing off on the cushions when a gripper woke me up and he told me I’d have to get off the train and wait on the station for 3 hours, this was the middle of the night. What they do is take the Budapest sleeping coaches off the train and push them into an empty platform for a few hours with everyone on it being left to sleep through, but the day coaches were uncoupled and taken into a siding.

Eventually a rake of coaches appeared in the platform and attached themselves to the two sleep coaches, so I crawled into one of the compartments, drew all the curtains and slept through to Budapest Nyugati, arriving in bright sunshine and fully awake, a few hours later.

Great to hear from you in familiar territory, looking forward to the rest.

The rake of coaches was the Berlin to Budapest sleeper which runs through Poland now. The Prague portion, as you discovered the hard way, is tacked on to a late-night IC to Breclav.
Planning to use it later this summer, but I'll make sure I book ahead!

shredder1

Established Member
Great to hear from you in familiar territory, looking forward to the rest.

The rake of coaches was the Berlin to Budapest sleeper which runs through Poland now. The Prague portion, as you discovered the hard way, is tacked on to a late-night IC to Breclav.
Planning to use it later this summer, but I'll make sure I book ahead!

Thank you very much, yes I didnt expect that, but still worst places to be stranded than Breclav, lol Enjoy your trip friend

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 9. Monday 9th May 2022.

I had an early start from the Hippy Hotel in Bratislava and it wasn’t that far to walk out to the depot at Bratislava Hlavna the Intercity sheds, I was given permission to visit by the lovely Strojmistrie and it was another bright and beautiful morning. After a great visit, I made my way back to Bratislava Hl n and went for a ride behind an OBB Austrian railways class 2016 diesel out to Bratislava Nove Mestro to a café I know for a traditional Slovakian breakfast.

Returning from Bratislava Nove Mestro to Bratislava Hl n, I next boarded the 09.13 to Zilina, arriving at 11.38 and walking out to the depot for another excellent visit, with plenty on shed. I walked back into the city and took an early lunch in the town, I couldn’t resist a Slovakian Goulash, although it wasn’t as good as the Czech ones, it filled me up.

I wanted to chip away at a few more Slovakian branch lines, so caught the 12.52 from Zilina to Trencin, and then the 15.40 from Trencin to Chynorany arriving at 17. 07, next the 17.20 Chynorany to Luzianky, and then the 18.16 to Leopoldov, followed by the 19.04 back to Bratislava Hl n.

I then wanted to catch a night train to get me back into Prague for the following morning, it was another night on the cushions and the only way I could do it was to catch the 22.57 back up to Zilina and then catch the 02.18 across the border and back into the Czech Republic via the Ostrava route.

I had an interesting journey back from Zilina to Prague and shared a compartment coach with a beautiful Ukraine Girl and her two Basset hounds. I like dogs and both Basset hounds were all over me for most of the night, unfortunately the beautiful Ukraine girl wasn’t. Stay tuned for another exciting installment.

shredder1

Established Member
Central and Eastern Europe, Day 10. Tuesday 10th May 2022.

I arrived into Prague and connected with a train to Usti nad Labem and walked out to the depot, FSU SOKV Cargo depot, fortunately they had a left luggage office at Usti, I was given permission to go around the depot and had an excellent visit with plenty to see on shed, although the locomotives that where in the scrap yard have now sadly been broken up.

After my depot visit I caught a trolley bus back into the main railway station, and took breakfast in a café nearby, it was again a beautiful sunny day and I decided to hit a few more Czech branch lines on the way back to Prague. Catch a train down to Roudnice nad Labem, a good station for freight, I then caught a train to Brisa Obec and back to Stravskov the junction station, with a change for a train to Varnany and then a service back into Prague Masarykovo and checked into my hotel for a night.

My last night in the country and I lashed out and paid £37 for a decent hotel, a very classy one actually, the Gold Bank Hotel between the two main railway stations. It was funny really because when I walked down to the main lounge area, everyone had white tuxedos on, while I had my Alcatraz Psycho Ward T shirt on, complete with a pair of hiking boots.

I walked over to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi for my last session on the station, taking tea in the city before going back to my hotel, as I had a morning flight the following day back to the UK. It had been a good trip back into Europe and Im due back out there in June, many thanks for reading.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 1. Saturday 11th June 2022.

The purpose of this trip was mainly to concentrate on traversing a few of the narrow-gauge lines which were still on my bucket list, plus a few more branch lines and the obligatory shed bashing. I was essentially playing it by ear and did spend a lot of time traveling around Slovakia and spreading a few more of my mate Rob`s ashes around on my travels.

On Friday 10th June I was working from home in the morning, but come the afternoon I was on my way to Manchester Airport as I was flying into Prague again for another trip. The flight however from Manchester was delayed, and it was gone 11.30 Czech time, when we landed in Prague. I caught an all-night bus into Prague, which took an hour and dropped me off at Wenceslas Square, and lucky enough the McDonalds was still open, but not for sitting in, so I purchased a big mac meal and a coffee and walked around the corner to the gardens in front of the railway station and settled down on a bench to eat.

Id just got stuck into my burger when two ladies of the night approached me saying something in Czech, I fired them off and finished my meal before heading for the station. I watched them walk through the gardens and they were met by a guy who they followed, so I guess he was their pimp or something. I hadn’t bothered booking an hotel for the night as I wanted to catch an early train out to make my way over to the eastern side of the country to visit a narrow-gauge railway which had been in my sights for a few years.

Strangely Prague station was locked, but I noticed through the glass doors people had arrived on a late train and appeared to be struggling to get out of the building, then I noticed one of them had opened a fire door, so as everyone piled out, and I sneaked in, as I didn’t fancy a night in the gardens with all the drunks, pimps and ladies of the night.
The station was empty, a few locos parked in the platforms, but no one was around, no security or anything, so I spent the next few hours just chilling on a station bench, it was a very warm night so I only had a T-shirt on.

My train arrived into Prague on time, the 0502 to Zabreh Na Morave, and arrived at 07.21, at 07.31 I caught a second train to Jesenik arriving at 08.50, an interesting route which takes you into Glucholazy, Poland and out again, (Id done this line on a Grumpy rail-tour a few years ago). I left Jesenik at 09.30 for the last train to take me to Tremesna ve Slezsku, where I was just in time to join the Tremesna to Osoblaha narrow gauge railway and I was behind steam for a change. The steam loco was Skoda built, U46.002 in a dark blue livery tendered. It runs on a 20-kilometre line of 760 mm gauge which goes up to up to the Polish border.

The journey up to Osoblaha was very enjoyable and they even had a bar on the train, so I couldn’t resist a pint, it was certainly well subscribed and I had the option to stand between the coaches for some better photographs. The line is also the last narrow-gauge line operated by Ceske Drahy, CD who operate class 705 diesels.

The train spends a few hours at the terminus at Osoblaha, so I took a walk over the Polish border as its only a matter of yards away. There is nothing in Osoblaha, no shops or anything and the station building is presently being rebuilt, as are a number of stations along the line, thanks to EU money.

A diesel service followed us up the line and left before the steam loco, so I decided to take the diesel service back down to Tremesna ve Slezsku. I was in time for a connecting service to take me too Krnov and then Ostrava Svinov via Opava, and from Ostrava a direct service into Zilina, Slovakia, where Id found a lovely old Soviet styled “Hotel Slovakia” for 21 euros a night. lt was a 12 minutes’ walk from the railway station and my first bed since in Thursday night England, so I slept very well that night.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 2. Sunday 12th June 2022.

The purpose of this trip was mainly to concentrate on traversing a few of the narrow-gauge lines which were still on my bucket list, plus a few more branch lines and the obligatory shed bashing. I was essentially playing it by ear and did spend a lot of time traveling around Slovakia and spreading a few more of my mate Rob`s ashes around on my travels.

An early start at Zilina after a good night’s sleep at the Soviet Hotel and I was down on the loco’s sheds for a quick look around before making my way to the railway station for a train out to Kosice. I was heading for the Kosice Children`s Railway, which is another line that has been on my hit list for some time.

I had a Gorilla from Zilina to Kosice and on arrival late morning, I caught the number 2 tram to its terminus and then took a 5 minutes bus ride up the hill to the Kosice Children`s Railway, and I was on steam again. Steam tank loco 036.003 “Katka” in a green livery, the railway also has two operating diesel locos of the class TU29`s, the line runs from Cermel to Alpinka a distance of 4.4 km, on a 1,000mm narrow gauge line.

The run up the line was good, although in a largely forested valley, so views were limited. At Alpinka however a few non-operating locos were on display along with a novelty cycling truck railway and a few cabs from mainline locos converted for other use.

After my visit to the Kosice Children’s Railway, I walked back down the hill to the tram terminus and caught another tram back to the railway station, with only a short connection for a diesel locomotive service on the southern line to Zvolen, so another long train ride.

Id managed to book a room in a hostel, which was located some 10 minutes’ walk from the main railway station, although it had a shared bathroom, I didn’t see anyone else and this was a hostel bordering on an hotel, very smart, clean and modern, with a large room with 3 beds in it, for not bad for 27 Euros.
Once Id settled down in the hostel, I walked out to a local restaurant for some tea, and treated myself to a steak. It came on a piece of wood, steak in the middle, gravy in a bowl and potatoes also in a bowl with salad and a runny egg, on the piece of wood, how the hell did they expect me to eat that, do they not have plates in Slovakia. They might as well have put everything on the table, which is what it looked like once Id finished anyway, who comes up with these ideas.

Despite a day of mainly rail traveling, I still slept very well in the hostel.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 3. Monday 13th June 2022.

Another early start from the hostel at Zvolen and the first job was to visit the works and depot, so I made my way to the main station Osobna and caught a train to the next station Nakladna for the depot, this was only my second visited, so I walked over the footbridge, through the main gates and into the Strojmistrie office and was granted permission to visit. Plenty of locos on shed to phot, and the weather was still hot and glorious, so I had an excellent visit. I returned across the town to the main station by local train again and then decided that I wanted to get to the preserved narrow-gauge lines of the Cierny Hron Forest Railway, (Cierny Balog Railway).

From Zvolen Osobna I caught a train to Banska Bystrica, with a change for a Brezno train as far as Chvatimech, a location on the map with shown as the main line connection for the Cierny Hron Forest Railway. I found the railway station, although it wasn’t at first obvious, but the tracked had been lifted with new concrete sleepers stacked on the platform, waiting to replace them and apparently the work had been going on for some years, so I returned to the main line station at Chvatimech, but on talking to one of the locals, I was told I could catch a train into Brezno and then get a bus out to Cierny Balog, which was the Cierny Hron Forest Railway base, I decided to follow this option.

I didn’t wait long for the Brezno train and a bus was already in the bus station opposite the railway station as I arrived. The bus journey only took about 20 minutes and dropped me off more or less right outside the Cierny Hron Forest Railway at Cierny Balog centre. What an excellent arrangement, with access to walk around all the site and photograph the stock. It’s a 760mm narrow-gauge system, some 17 kilometres in length, The line is believed to be the only railway in the world to pass through the middle of a soccer stadium, the tracks running along the front of a grandstand at the stadium belonging to the TJ Tatran Čierny Balog club.

Sadly, I was a month too early and the only line that was open was the green line to Vydrovo Konecna and it was diesel operated, but at least it was new track for me and gives me a reason to return to do the other two lines to Dobroc, the blue line and Sanske the red line, which once opened fully will run back to Chvatimech. I had a great visit and later caught the bus back to Brezno.

I next wanted to traverse the cross-country line from Brezno to Jesenske via Tisovec, it was an interesting line and trains changed at Tisovec. On arrival at Jesenske, I had around an hour to wait, there is nothing in the town, no shops or anything, I caught a train from Jesenske to Kosice and then caught the 23.45 from Kosice to Bratislava arriving at 05.25, so I managed to get a few hours sleep on the cushions. It had been an interesting and varied day though.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 4. Tuesday 14th June 2022.

I didn’t do too badly for sleep on the cushions of the Kosice-Bratislava night train and managed about 5 hours sleep, arriving in Bratislava for around 06.00. A wash and brush up on the station followed by breakfast in a station café and I was on my way out to the Cargo depot Bratislava Vychod (BLV), but I couldn’t remember the tram routes, I thought I had it, but finished up in the wrong place, so gave it up for the day. Id visited the depot twice before, once with Rob on the trams when we took one from the station and changed onto another one, and another time with Rob in his car when he drove over there, I don’t find the tram map easy to follow at the best of times, but left it on this day and decided to visit again later in the week.

After returning to Bratislava main railway station, I caught at 08.33 train up to Prievidza which got me in for 11.28 and covered a lot of new tracks for me, I then took a local service through a very picturesque line up to Horna Stubna, with another change for a train down to Zvolen Osobna which helped me cover a lot more new track.

From Zvolen I went a more direct route back to Zilina, changing at Banska Bystrica and Vrutky. Id booked another night in my Soviet Hotel in the town and after a night on the cushions was ready for a decent bed for the night again and I slept well.

Veteran Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 4. Tuesday 14th June 2022.

After returning to Bratislava main railway station, I caught at 08.33 train up to Prievidza which got me in for 11.28 and covered a lot of new tracks for me, I then took a local service through a very picturesque line up to Horna Stubna, with another change for a train down to Zvolen Osobna which helped me cover a lot more new track.
Good choices there - lovely lines.
0833 diesel throughout? Then unit and railbus?

Does Cierny Balog look worth the visit BTW? - hoping to go in August.

Jesenske - did you actually get to the town, it looked a long way from the junction when I did the same route some years ago, and Googlemaps says there's a Coop...

shredder1

Established Member
Thank you yes diesel and railbus from Previdza to Horna Stubna. Yes Cierny Balog is worth a visit, all three lines will be operating after July 1st apart from the main line line, I need to go back for the rest of the lines. At Jesenske I only saw a cross roads near the station, so yes I guess the town must have been some distance away. Enjoy your trip.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 5. Wednesday 15th June 2022.

Up again early, as always and I was soon down on the railway station at Zilina and boarding train to Kralovany for the branch line up to Trstena, what I didn’t realise at the time though was a rail replacement bus was operating on part of the line between Oravsky Podzamok and Dlha Nad Oravou, so I missed a few small stations on the line, but still covered most of it. The line once continued through to Poland and is now apparently a cycle track beyond Trstena. Oravsky Podzamok is distinctive for its castle on the rock, sadly I couldn’t get any clear photographs of it, but it was an enjoyable trip up to Trstena.

I returned to Kralovany and then caught the next train directly to Bratislava, arriving by 15.47, I next caught a train up to Bratislava Raca as Id booked a private room in a hostel which was located right between the Cargo locomotive depot and the museum, it was perfect with both within walking distance. The hostel was very modern with nice bright open rooms, a lift and a shared bathroom, but I had it to myself.

Although the hostel was only a 10-minute walk from Bratislava Raca railway station, it was quite an isolated location with only a small supermarket opposite and the issue I had was the hostel only took cash and I didn’t have any, so I went to the cash machine outside the supermarket, but it wouldn’t accept my card, fortunately they allowed me to stay the night without payment, but I later went out and found another card machine and managed to pay. I also took advantage of my close proximity to the cargo depot and paid a visit, with plenty of locos on shed and no one around, I had an excellent bunk.

I returned to the hostel a few hours later, took a warm shower in the wet room and had an early night, and again slept very well.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 6. Thursday 16th June 2022.

After a great night in the Uninova hostel in Eastern Bratislava, I had a slight lay in, the railway museum was about a five minutes’ walk away but didn’t open until 10.00am and I left the hostel at 08.00, so I bunked the museum by accessing it from the railway yard opposite and no one bothered me. It was a good visit with plenty of old steam locos in various states of renovation, the last time I visited the museum was on an open day a few years ago.

I returned to Bratislava Raca and caught a train to Bratislava N Mesto, I was making my way to Nove Zamky to access the junction for the southeast line into Prievidza, track I needed. In retrospect, I would have been better going back to Bratislava`s HL main station really, as many of the Nove Zamky trains don’t stop at the intermediate stations. What I ended up doing was taking a train from N Mesto to Senec and then another train to Sladkovicovo Dioszeg and then Nove Zamky, with a quick change for the train up to Prievidza, thus giving me the southern line into the town.

I was pleasantly surprised to find no less than four Slovakian Grumpy`s parked up on the depot at Prievidza, and I just had time between connections to obtain a few photographs of the line-up.

My next move was a loco hauled Goggle from Prievidza to Virutky via Horna Stubna, which helped me to complete the section of track north of the latter. I changed at Virutky for a train back into Zilina and my third night in the Hotel Slovakia, my Soviet gulag.

A nice surprise awaited me at Zilina as they had set up two large stages at each end of the town with rock bands on and some traditional dancers, there were stalls of all types all over the main streets and it was a very pleasant family event. After checking in the hotel, I went back into the town to enjoy the bands and laser shows, I also tried some of the street food which was amazing, shame we don’t do free events like that in the UK. I got back into the hotel after midnight and slept like a baby.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 7. Friday 17th June 2022.

A day traveling and getting some more new lines under my belt, I was up for 06.00 and down at Zilina railway station for the 07.24 to Trnava, so that I could take the direct line to Kuty, but a rail replacement bus was operating as far as Smolenice, the bus ride was pleasant enough, but it’s a line Ill have to revisit to complete the track of course. The train arrived into Kuty for 10.59 and I left from Bratislava at 11.12, with a change for the 12.09 to Galanta. I wanted to travel the line from Sered to Leopoldov direct, but I couldn’t find a train or indeed work out if the line was still operating, as I couldn’t find anyone who could speak English, so I took the next train up to Trnava which was more new track for me.

From Trnava I caught a train directly back to Zilina, but in a different hotel, as the Hotel Slovakia had doubled their prices with it being Friday night, I did however find another hotel, the Garni G Hotel which wasn’t too far from the locomotive depot, it was 27 Euro for the night and a lot moderner compared to my Soviet hotel. After checking in I went back to the town for a meal out, it had been a relaxed and interesting day.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think it's fair to say you've had a beast of a time! Definitely plenty to go back for, which is always a bonus. Slovakia is somewhere I've always fancied visiting, hopefully next year. This year I have too many grand plans to fit in an adventure in Europe. Trust me, when the trip report is ready after the event, you'll see why!

shredder1

Established Member
I think it's fair to say you've had a beast of a time! Definitely plenty to go back for, which is always a bonus. Slovakia is somewhere I've always fancied visiting, hopefully next year. This year I have too many grand plans to fit in an adventure in Europe. Trust me, when the trip report is ready after the event, you'll see why!

Thanks Tech, Ill look forward to that, yes Slovakia is a great country, I still have lots to go back for , and its free for me all rail travel all over the country for anyone over the age of 65.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and Slovakia, Day 8. Saturday 18th June 2022.

It was to be another day on branch lines, so another early start to get into Zilina station in time for the 06.46 to Cadca and then catch a local unit up the branch to Makov. The line to Makov has been proposed for closure beyond its half way point at Turzoka, so I was pleased to be able to travel the full length of the line. It was a strange platform arrangement from the main station at Cadca, you have to leave the main building on walk over the road to a platform E, it certainly wasn’t obvious. It was a please ride up the branch though, but I was the only passenger on the train after Turzoka, but some housing does exist at Makov along with a supermarket and a few shops.

I returned down the branch and caught the next service into Zilina arriving at 11.13 and leaving at 11.23 for Trencianska Tepla, as the preserved tram was running the TREZ. I arrived at 12.16, but the tram wasn’t due out until 14.00, so I had time to visit Trencianska Tepla locomotive depot. This was my third visit to the depot and I was surprised to find it quieter than normal.

I boarded the 14.00 tram down to Trencianska Teplice, the other end of the line, a lovely little health resort town which had a bike race on at the time of my visit. The TREZ runs for 5.4 kilometres over a 760 mm gauge track to the health resort of Trencianska Teplice, a unique tramway indeed.

I returned to Zilina for my final night, after dropping my rucksack off at the hotel, I decided to visit Zilina locomotive depot again, before making my way into the town to find a restaurant for tea. I later returned to the hotel for an early night as I was leaving Slovakia the next day and heading back into the Czech Republic with a heavy days shed bashing on the books and the following night on the cushions again as I headed back towards Prague.

Veteran Member
Day 7 - Sered-Leopoldov has no passenger trains per the pdf timetable (133).

Day 6 - Which hauled workings did you find Prievidza-HS-Vrutky?

shredder1

Established Member
Day 7 - Sered-Leopoldov has no passenger trains per the pdf timetable (133).

Day 6 - Which hauled workings did you find Prievidza-HS-Vrutky?

Thank you very much, yes I suspected as much. I had a Goggle for haulage, it was great over that route.