• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shreds European Trips, Volume 2.

shredder1

Established Member
Nordic Regions. (Day 5). Sunday 1st October 2023.

I was back in the Nordic Regions again, continuing were I left last year. I was however determined to get up to Narvik in Norway, across the Artic Circle. Narvik is the furthers Northerly standard gauge railway line in the world. The other part of my trip was to concentrate on the lines of Denmark.

I was back in Copenhagen Denmark at 11.30pm on a Sunday night, Copenhagen certainly has its share of drunks, like any other city. Checking the timetables, I found a night train leaving at 00.50 and bound for Aalborg, so that gave me a few hours’ sleep on the cushions, but also got me towards the top of Jutland and positioned me nicely to head for the top of the large peninsula which separates the North and Baltic Seas.
It was still dark, but slowly breaking dawn as my train arrived into Aalborg and it wasn’t long before I boarded a train bound for Skagen on the very northeast top corner of Jutland, a two-car modern DMU which has to reverse at Frederikshavn to continue its route up to Skagen.

Catching the same train back down the line from Skagen, I alighted at Hjorring for a connect to Hirshals, the other branch line heading north. Returning from Hirshals and alighting again at Hjorring, I picked up a returning Skagen train back down the line to Aalborg. An added bonus at Aalborg was the arrival and quick departure of the steam train from Limfjorden. I managed to get a few photographs from the platform it arrived into, and went to the other platform to obtain a few more photographs, but the train left just as I got to the top of the stairs, so a line for another day.

From Aalborg I caught a train going south, my plan was to alight at the junction station of Langa, to take the line across to Struer, but my train didn’t stop at Langa and went through to Arhus H, which cost me some time. I did however get the next train back up to Langa, but had missed the connection I wanted to Struer by that time, and had to catch a later train. My plan from Struer was to take the branch up to Thisted in the northwest of Jutland, unfortunately I was too late to do the branch without getting stuck up there and I couldn’t find accommodation.

Struer was Arriva country and I travelled cross country from Langa on an Arrival DMU, but they accept Interrail in Denmark. The light was going by the time my train arrived into Struer and a direct Oresund service was going back to Copenhagen, so I decided to use it as my bed for the night and then return to Struer the following morning on another overnight train from Copenhagen to do the Thisted line. I’ve found I can sleep quite well on trains, even on 4- or 5-hour journeys, and of course it saves me an hotel bill and I get the added bonus of wondering around foreign railway stations in the darker hours, I’m a bit weird like that. It had however been a great hit with quite a few new lines in the bag.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Clearly a productive track scoring day! I'll confess I have no idea where most of those places are, but I was still pretty impressed :)

I agree that it would be good to go back to Copenhagen, after all I wasn't into cycling at the time (that was around 13 months later) and I absolutely wasn't into running. That's a pretty recent addition to my lifestyle and I'm slowly getting better at it. Power-walking was not quite my cup of tea at the time either.

You know, I may have to find my wings again soon and go exploring. Already there's a plan forming, as I've also been inspired to revisit Stockholm which I've been saying I'm going to do for just short of 9 years. I'm going to find my trip report for that trip, but I'm absolutely inspired to use some Avios for a free flight to Copenhagen, do my exploring there over a couple of days then take a train to Stockholm via Malmo and Gothenburg, to revisit there.

Quite, I've not yet visited Gothenburg or Malmo, so there's a good chance I'll do those along the way!

shredder1

Established Member
Clearly a productive track scoring day! I'll confess I have no idea where most of those places are, but I was still pretty impressed :)

I agree that it would be good to go back to Copenhagen, after all I wasn't into cycling at the time (that was around 13 months later) and I absolutely wasn't into running. That's a pretty recent addition to my lifestyle and I'm slowly getting better at it. Power-walking was not quite my cup of tea at the time either.

You know, I may have to find my wings again soon and go exploring. Already there's a plan forming, as I've also been inspired to revisit Stockholm which I've been saying I'm going to do for just short of 9 years. I'm going to find my trip report for that trip, but I'm absolutely inspired to use some Avios for a free flight to Copenhagen, do my exploring there over a couple of days then take a train to Stockholm via Malmo and Gothenburg, to revisit there.

Quite, I've not yet visited Gothenburg or Malmo, so there's a good chance I'll do those along the way!

Copenhagen is bike city of course, even the suburban trains have a middle coach just for bikes. Malmo has a depot and yard, an unusual split station with some of the platforms being underground, the upper station has a magnificent roof. Goteburg is another major rail centre, Norwegian trains run into it and it has a very old station building, but open platforms and a large stabling yard at the side of it.

shredder1

Established Member
Nordic Regions. (Day 6). Monday 2nd October 2023.

I was back in the Nordic Regions again, continuing were I left last year. I was however determined to get up to Narvik in Norway, across the Artic Circle. Narvik is the furthers Northerly standard gauge railway line in the world. The other part of my trip was to concentrate on the lines of Denmark.

Catching the 00.50 again and I was on a train to Vejle with a change back to Struer arriving at 06.47 so I was getting my sleep in between changes. I was back to do the line up to Thisted, but couldn’t find the train, to my disappointment it was a rail replacement bus until 11.00am and I didn’t really have time to wait, so the line to Thisted will have to be left for another trip.

I caught the next train south to Holstebro with a change for a train to Vemb. Private operators have these lines and they were not covered by my interrail pass, the operator is called, “Midttrafik”, who run modern two car diesel multiple units, but I only paid £12 to cover the next few lines. The line I next travelled on was from Vemb to Lemvig and Thyboron Havn and was operated by a company called Lemvigbanen.

“Lemvigbanen” is a Danish railway line in Northwest Jutland. Established in 1879, the line extends from Vemb via Lemvig to Thyborøn. The single-track line is mostly level, and is operated with a fleet of five double-unit Y-train railcars. VLTJ has its own workshop and servicing facilities on the line.

Until 1 January 2008, the line was operated by the company Vemb-Lemvig-Thyborøn Jernbane A/S, which has been merged with Odderbanen's operating company to form Midtjyske Jernbaner”, Source; Wikipedia.

It was a fascinating line to travel and I was allowed around the small maintenance depot at Lemvig, they even had a Nohab in the back of the sheds. A different service takes you from Lemvig to Thyboron Havn, and its lovely to ride on the Y-train railcars.

I returned to Vemb and next caught a train to Skjern on another “Midttrafik” modern railcar. At Skjern, I was back on an Arriva train into Esbjerg. At Esbjerg it was nice to catch up with two of the old ME class locos, now in freight usage. The class ME`s ruled the roost at Copenhagen when I first visited, prior to Vectrons taking over.

My final train of the day was a DSB Class ER EMU 4 direct to Copenhagen Central arriving at 21.31. I had now done the vast majority of lines in Denmark, it had been another great day.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Copenhagen is bike city of course, even the suburban trains have a middle coach just for bikes. Malmo has a depot and yard, an unusual split station with some of the platforms being underground, the upper station has a magnificent roof. Goteburg is another major rail centre, Norwegian trains run into it and it has a very old station building, but open platforms and a large stabling yard at the side of it.

I didn't know that about the suburban trains in Copenhagen, that's pretty cool :) Malmo definitely sounds awesome, and Gothenburg does too.

I think I might be off to visit these places really soon, a flight over from the mighty Heathrow or indeed a revisit to London City could be on the cards! Cycling in Copenhagen would be fun, although I'd have to hire a cycle. Definitely something to research :)

As for your latest instalment, another good day for track there. The ME locos I think I've seen videos of, and if so they are mighty noisy beasts!

Zerothebrake!

Wow Shred, six consecutive nights on the rails without seeing a bed? ..and you're eight years older than me!?!

I'm currently following in your foot steps after flying to Arlanda with BA and taking Train 94 overnight train from Stockholm on Tuesday (Rc6 1326 to Boden for 1329 forward).

Hope you manage to do the wonderful Trondheim to Bodo line with loco + stock before the Stadlers arrive.

Cheers for now, ZTB.

shredder1

Established Member
Wow Shred, six consecutive nights on the rails without seeing a bed? ..and you're eight years older than me!?!

I'm currently following in your foot steps after flying to Arlanda with BA and taking Train 94 overnight train from Stockholm on Tuesday (Rc6 1326 to Boden for 1329 forward).

Hope you manage to do the wonderful Trondheim to Bodo line with loco + stock before the Stadlers arrive.

Cheers for now, ZTB.
Oh I always though you was much younger than 64 Tech. Yes Im hoping to do Trondheim to Bodo line, be next year now though. I did all 7 nights sleeping on the trains, who needs hotels ;)

shredder1

Established Member
Nordic Regions. (Day 7). Tuesday 3rd October 2023.

After a few hours on Copenhagen Central railway station again, for the third night running I was on another train at 00.50, this time up to Arhus H, which got me in at 04.35, with the 05.15 back to Copenhagen, arriving back at 08.03, I slept both ways and was refreshed and ready for a day exploring the lines north of Copenhagen on the suburban networks.

The first line I took was a DOT suburban service up to Frederikssund, returning to Copenhagen Central. I walked out to the Hard Rock Café for breakfast, and later returned to Copenhagen Central and caught a DOT service to Hellerup, with a change for Hillerod to access the S-Bahn, a hybrid urban-suburban rail system, again under the DOT network, but these appear to have been built on former railway lines. It is known as the North Line.

The first section I travelled on was the Hillerod to Tisvideleje line, later returning to Kagerup for a train around the loop via Gilleleje to Helsinger. A change of train here from the main platforms takes you back to Hillerod via Fredensborg. Another change of train at Hillerod for the train out to Hundested, my final S-Bahn line, which apart from the small spare up to Naerum, I had completed all the lines north of Copenhagen, which I was quite pleased about.

I made my way back to Copenhagen Central, took some tea in the city and then boarded my final train of the week to Copenhagen Airport, as I had a late flight back into Manchester that evening. The flight was delayed though, which resulted in me arriving back into Manchester Airport by around 01.30.
I waited for the all-night bus into Manchester Piccadilly, forgetting it was midweek, so my free bus pass didn’t work at that time of the day, I had a £20 note, but the driver wouldn’t take it, so he suggested that I pay by card, I took my card out, but he only had facilities for contactless and I’m still using chip and pin, eventually he just told me to just get on. I had the same issue on my next bus and my final bus back to my village, and all the drivers allowed me to travel for free and didn’t leave me stranded. Ill make sure I carry some change next time I arrive back late into Manchester. My final stats on my Interrail mobile app were for 7,000 kilometres travelled for 35 trains and I only used up 6 days of travel on a 7-day ticket for around £250.00, so that’s good value. Thanks for reading.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
£250 for all that travel on trains is pretty good :) A shame about the delayed flight though, not ideal at the end of a long day!

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and German Borders, (Day 1). Thursday 8th February 2024.

The first European trip of 2024 and I was flying into Prague, Czech Republic. I was booked in on a Grumpy Railtour, taking place over the weekend, in addition, I was also over for new track and the obligatory shed bashing.

I had a late flight from Manchester into Prague, arriving into the city for around 22.00. I hadn’t bothered booking an hotel for the first night, instead I opted for a train just after midnight into Brno, with a change for a train to Breclav, which afforded me a few hours’ sleep, arriving into Breclav for around 05.00. After an hour or so in the waiting room and a coffee to revive me from the machine, I was soon out on the platforms, watching the morning break and in readiness for my shed visit. I always ask out of courtesy and these shed foremen (Stroymistre`s), are truly very friendly and I have yet to have a shed visit turned down.

Breclav locomotive depot is always a very active depot with many locos coming and going, on this visit, on shed, apart from the Czech stud, were locomotives from Slovakia, Austria, and Poland, along with some private operators and an amazing variety of liveries.

After an excellent shed visit at Breclav, I next caught a train up to Prerov with a change for a Leo Express to Ostrava Hln, where I had another excellent shed visit. Ostrava is another area noted for its freight traffic, I could happily spend a full day on the platforms alone, and have stayed in the town on numerous occasions.

The final depot of the day was Bohumin, up on the southern Polish border, which always hosts one or two Polish locomotives and like the other two depots, located at the side of the railway station, a great finish to an excellent day.
From Bohumin I later caught a direct service back into Prague, arriving at my hotel, the Golden Garni, just before 22.00. It had been a long first day, but a very rewarding one.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and German Borders, (Day 2). Friday 9th February 2024.

The first European trip of 2024 and I was flying into Prague, Czech Republic. I was booked in on a Grumpy Railtour, taking place over the weekend, in addition, I was also over for new track and the obligatory shed bashing.

After a good night’s sleep at the Golden Garni Hotel, I was up 06.00 to catch an early train. I was bound for Marianske Lazne as I was line bashing and wanted to travel on the lines north to Becov nad Taplou, a small junction station between Karlovy Vary and the lines to Rakovnik. A GW Train class 810 operates between Marianske Lazne and Karlovy Vary, I alighted at Becov nad Taplou for my next train, travelling east, a CD class 810 which took me as far as Zlutice.

At Zlutice the CD class 810 waited for over an hour before continuing to Rakovnik, it travelled via Blatno u Jesenice, another small branch station between Plzen Hlavni and Zatec Zapad.
My train arrived into Rakovnik after dark and Id completed the lines I needed. At Rakovnik I made a connection down to Beroun and then another connection back into Prague Smichov. I then took the metro to Prague Hlvani Nadrazi, arriving back at my hotel for 22.00, with a few more branch lines in the bag and another excellent day out.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and German Borders, (Day 3). Saturday 10th February 2024.

It was the first day of the Grumpy Railtour. I was up early at the hotel and made my way via tram and train to Prague Vrsovice railway station, where the tour was starting from.

Day 1 of the tour took the following route, Praha Vršovice – Praha Smíchov severní nástupištĕ – Praha Zličín – Hostivice – Podlešín – Zlonice – Louny – Postoloprty (station avoider/east curve) – Obrnice – Most – Chomutov (reverse) – Vejprty – Cranzahl* (reverse) – Vejprty – Chomutov – Žatec – Krupá – Lužná u Rakovníka – Kladno – Hostivice – Praha Zličín – Praha Smíchov severní nástupištĕ – Praha Vršovice.

The Grumpy loco which hauled us was Class 749.240 in CD Red and Cream livery. It was great to catch up with both old and new friends, a very successful first day with quite a few new lines in the bag, especially crossing the mountains into Germany to Cranzahl. Not much snow up there though and the weather was largely dull and overcast.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and German Borders, (Day 4). Sunday 11th February 2024.

It was day 2 of the Grumpy Railtour. The route as follows, with a few more new lines for me. Praha Vršovice – Praha hl.n. – Praha Holešovice – Kralupy nad Vltavou – Vraňany – Lužec nad Vltavou (reverse) – Vraňany – Kralupy nad Vltavou – Neratovice – Všetaty – Mladá Boleslav (rvse) – Mšeno – Mĕlník ((reverse) – Všetaty – Neratovice – Čelákovice (reverse) – Praha Vysočany – Praha Libeň – Praha Malešice – Strančice (reverse) – Velké Popovice* (reverse) – Strančice – Čerčany – Vrane nad Vltavou – Praha Krč – Zahradní Mĕsto – Praha Malešice – Praha Libeň – Praha hl.n – Praha Vršovice.

The day hadn’t improved from saturday really, dull and overcast with light rain at times, but it didn’t spoil the enjoyment of the trip. Im not really a drinker as such, but do like to indulge on these trips as they always have a local brewery travelling with us, offering free beer each day. I love the Czech black beers and could resist a pint or two each day. An enjoyable line from Melnik to Mlada Boleslav, with a reversal down the branch line to Velke Popovice, the Kozel brewery line from Strancice.

We returned to Prague Vrsovice for around 19.30, and I soon made a connection through the tunnels to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi, a few supplies from the supermarket, and then two stops on the number 5 tram back to the Golden Garni Hotel, the railtour had been a good one again and I look forward to the next one.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and German Borders, (Day 5). Monday 12th February 2024.

The railtour had been great and I was back exploring alone. I did intend travelling over to Sokolov to further explore the Lignite Mines and the crocodile locomotives that operate the lines, but the weather forecast rain and it would have involved a lot of walking to get out to the depot and the old locomotive dump and I only had Google Earth to help me find them, so instead I opted for some more line bashing.

I was up early again at the hotel for 04.00 to catch the 05.20 train west to Karlovy Vary, a journey that allowed me to catch up with some sleep, and arriving after 08.00, and in time for some breakfast on the station. I was crossing the German border again, this time on the line from Karlovy Vary to Johanngeogenstadt, crossing the German Border at Potucy. The CD train connects with two German services over an hour period before it returns to Karlovy Vary Doini, the station for the Becon nad Teplou lines.

I alighted however at Karlovy Vary and caught the next train into Cheb. There is not much on the depot these days, just the odd visiting locos, plus two locos parked in the yard. German dmus operate into Cheb, with it being close to the borders. The next branch I wanted to explore was the line up to Luby u Chebu, a rural branch that stops just short of the German Border, and my final branch of the day.

After a spot of tea on returning to Cheb, I caught a late train back, directly to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi, arriving at the Golden Garni Hotel for 22.00, another long day, but a great run out.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and German Borders, (Day 6). Tuesday 13th February 2024.

A much later start with breakfast at the hotel for a change and travelling to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi for 08.00. This was my last full day and I decided on a bit more shed bashing. For the first time in the week, and a much-welcomed sun graced the day.

I caught a fast train up to Usti nad Labem mesto, with a change for a train to Usti nad Labem Zapad, and then I walked out to the depot. I had an excellent depot visit, with a good selection of locomotives on shed. I returned to Mesto by trolly bus, but they didn’t take cash and my card wouldn’t work on the machine, but I was allowed to travel anyway, such is the friendliness of the Czech people.

I caught a City Elefant from Usti nad Labem mesto to Prague Masarykovo Nadrazi. I walked over to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi and caught another train through the tunnels to Prague Vrsovice and walked out to the depot. Another excellent shed visit, with two Grumpys inside the sheds.

I returned to Prague Hlavni Nadrazi. The sun was going down by this time, so before returning to my hotel, I did another tram route, number 15 from end to end, which conveniently passed my hotel, arriving at 20.00, so a nice relatively chilled out day for a change.

shredder1

Established Member
Czech Republic and German Borders, (Day 7). Wednesday 14th February 2024.

My last morning in the beautiful Czech Republic, and the amazing city of Prague. I could quite honestly live here. I was catching a late afternoon flight from Prague Vaclav Havel airport back into Manchester, so spent the morning on Prague Hlanvi Nadrazi to record the last workings of my trip, and it never lets you down with an incredible variety of workings including a freight through the station.

At around 12 noon, I made my way down to the metro and caught the Green A line to Nadrazi Velestavin, the nearest metro station to the airport, (the railway link is 13 years overdue at the time of writing), and then the 119 bus to the airport. The flight back to Manchester went well, apart from one of the roughest landings I have never experienced when flying, without seat belts on, they would have been injuries, my camera under the seat, went flying down the aisle, along with everyone else’s under seat items, fortunately my camera was fine, lesson learned, hold onto your camera on landing. The end of another great trip though, time to get ready for Norway in March.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 1). Friday 22nd March 2024.

Another return to the Nordic and Scandinavian countries, specifically Norway and Sweden this time. Since I had completed the line from Stockholm to Narvik last year, this year I decided to travel over the Arctic Circle again, but this time from the Norwegian side, from Oslo to Bodo, and this time of the year I was rewarded with snow and frozen Fjords. I also managed to complete all the main lines and cross-country passenger lines in Norway, apart from the tourist line from Myrdal to Flaam, also the preserved tourist railways, and one or two freight only lines and some seasonal branch lines. In addition to this I also completed the border lines between Norway and Sweden, so I was quite pleased with what I managed to do, despite the reservation system and some trains being fully booked, days before I planned to travel.

I had a late afternoon flight booked from Manchester to Oslo`s second airport, Torp, a good hour, and a halves train ride from the city. I arrived into Torp airport for around 18.00 Norwegian time, (an hour in front of the UK). After taking lunch on the station at Oslo, I spent the rest of the evening on night photographing, capturing any action around the station and then later retiring to an all-night McDonalds restaurant around the corner, which I’ve used before in Oslo. Oslo Central station closes at 01.30 and reopens around 03.30, so people who wish to spend the night on the station, and many do, tend to move between McDonalds and the station at night, this also happened at Stockholm and Gothenburg and accommodation prices can be a bit stiff in these cities, unless you can pick up a bargain. Fortunately, the seats are quite comfortable on these stations, and basically, I can sleep sat up at times, I’m a great cat napper. I was looking forward to my trip up to Bodo and was hoping to do it on Saturday, the following day, but was struggling trying to make a reservation on the phone, so decided to book it at the ticket office next day.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 2). Saturday 23rd March 2024.

Another return to the Nordic and Scandinavian countries, specifically Norway and Sweden this time. Since I had completed the line from Stockholm to Narvik last year, this year I decided to travel over the Arctic Circle again, but this time from the Norwegian side, from Oslo to Bodo, and this time of the year I was rewarded with snow and frozen Fjords. I also managed to complete all the main lines and cross-country passenger lines in Norway, apart from the tourist line from Myrdal to Flaam, also the preserved tourist railways, and one or two freight only lines and some seasonal branch lines. In addition to this I also completed the border lines between Norway and Sweden, so I was quite pleased with what I managed to do, despite the reservation system and some trains being fully booked, days before I planned to travel.

I was hoping to catch the 14.27 to Bodo with a change at Trondheim, so I waited for the ticket office to open at Oslo Central, (not being able to book it on the app), but was told the train was fully booked, they did however identified a train running on Sunday afternoon at 14.27, so I booked that one and had to turn to plan B, my trip to the Artic Circle would have to wait another day.
So, plan B was to catch a train up to Hamar and visit Norway’s National Railway Museum. Catching a regional train to its last stop, Lillehammer, this allowed me a few hours’ sleep, and I called in at a local café for some breakfast and then caught the next train back down the line to Hamar.

I walked out to the depot at Hamar, which was only a few minutes south of the station, a half roundhouse, with at least one Nohab inside, but I couldn’t gain access, not a lot on the depot, but outside in the sunshine was a NSB Nohab Di3 in poor condition and a NSB Nohab class MZ used on rail infrastructure work, no one was around the depot so I couldn’t have a look inside the roundhouse and all the door were locked.

From the depot, I continued to walk around the far side of the yards on the bank of the large frozen Fjord. Amazingly some people had walked a good mile of so across the ice and were ice fishing, cutting holes in the ice with a large drill bit they were carrying around with them, it was not for me.

I returned to Hamar railway station and caught a bus outside, which took me out to the National Railway Museum. It was not easy to find, and very poorly signed, despite the bus dropping me off quite close, and it would have been nearly an hours walk from the railway station.
Norway’s National Railway Museum is certainly not the largest railway museum I have visited, but apparently, in season they do have a section of track outside which they run a few locomotives and coaches up and down for visitors’ rides. Despite the size of the museum, I did have an excellent visit, and since the museum’s ticketing machine wasn’t working, I also had a free visit.

Returning to the bus stop, up the road, a bus arrived some 30 minutes later and took me back to Hamar Railway Station, to which I returned to Oslo by train and spent some time on the platforms. I had managed to find an affordable guest house, some 5 minutes’ walk from the railway station at Oslo, the cheapest one at £44, all the others were in the £80 to £100 mark.

The guest House was basically part of an appointment block with a shared bathroom and television room in what looked like a rough area, but it was acceptable once inside and clean. I did however have an issue on arrival. I walked in the main room which has a shared bathroom and television, the TV was balancing on a small table near the door, as soon as myself and two other guests walked into the room our host shouted for us to take our shoes off, never had this before in a so called guest house, anyway I turned around, not seeing the TV in such a precarious position, and my rucksack caught it bringing it crashing down onto the floor, it wasn't even fixed to the wall. The screen smashed and the host did a faulty towers bit and said I would have to pay for it, I’d only been there 5 minutes I totally lost it with him and told him it should have been fixed to the wall, it could have fallen on someone and he could claim it off his insurance, the cheeky sod and for £44 quid for the night, it is very basic. I couldn’t even watch the TV now it had a big crack across the screen. I slept well though.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 3). Sunday 24th March 2024.

After a restful night at the guest house, I walked over to Oslo Central station to photograph the mornings movements and I had a reservation for the trains to Bodo, but was aware that on this Sunday engineering work was taking place north of Favang, with rail replacement coaches taking passengers on the 5 hour drive up to Trondheim, fortunately by the time I would be returning from Bodo, only a small section of track would be closed between two stations, so at least I would get top complete the line.

The earlier train to Trondheim at 10.00 was however on the platforms and I asked the guard if they had any empty seats and they did, so I boarded the earlier train to give me more time in Trondheim, arriving in the city just after 14.30, and in time to see a few freight locos moving around the yard and departing. I spent a pleasant afternoon on the platforms and was booked on the night train to take me over the Arctic circle and on to Bodo, the 23.09. I was also eagerly awaiting the sighting of my first Class Di4. Only 5 of these Locomotives were built for the line from Trondheim to Bodo, locomotive number 4 655 arrived on its train from Bodo and locomotive number 4 652 arrived from the carriage sidings shortly afterwards and she was to take me on the 10-hour run to Bodo through the night.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 4). Monday 25th March 2024.

Another return to the Nordic and Scandinavian countries, specifically Norway and Sweden this time. Since I had completed the line from Stockholm to Narvik last year, this year I decided to travel over the Arctic Circle again, but this time from the Norwegian side, from Oslo to Bodo, and this time of the year I was rewarded with snow and frozen Fjords. I also managed to complete all the main lines and cross-country passenger lines in Norway, apart from the tourist line from Myrdal to Flam, also the preserved tourist railways, and one or two freight only lines and some seasonal branch lines. In addition to this I also completed the border lines between Norway and Sweden, so I was quite pleased with what I managed to do, despite the reservation system and some trains being fully booked, days before I planned to travel.
I didn’t bother booking a bed for the night train, but instead chose to sleep on the cushions, I think you can miss a few things in a sleeping car at times, and the seats on the train were recliners, so I got all the sleep I needed and was awake by first light as the train glided through some desolate and isolated snowscapes, heavy mists and frozen fjords, it was truly amazing.

We arrived into Bodo, just after 09.00 on Monday morning and the Di4 locomotive was on time. It was a beautiful bright and sunny morning, yet with plenty of snow on the ground, ideal for photography. The NSB class Di4 diesel electric Co-Co, number 4 652 had made a good account of herself on the Nordland Line, which is what these locomotives were built for, each locomotive has a trailing Romerike Modellservice heating generator vehicle behind the locomotive. A couple of freight locos were in the yard as I arrived, and a DMU service which operates to different local stations along the Bodo section of the Nordlands Line, I took a few rides to Fauske, which has an excellent station café. Although a small shed is available at Bodo, it only held one locomotive on my visit, a Eurodual, there was no shunting locomotives at Bodo and the class Di4s do all their own shunting, and I photographed the various operations of attaching generator vehicles behind the locomotive after running around the stock and the removal of the sleeper cars from the day time train back to Trondheim.

Around teatime I had a meal in the café above the station, basically a burger and chips with a coffee, which cost me £19, so you must be carful with your money there. I was booked onto the night train back to Trondheim, another 10-hours ride, it was snowing very heavily as the 21.09 departed from the platforms of Bodo, south down the Nordlands Line and on through the night.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 5). Tuesday 26th March 2024.

Another return to the Nordic and Scandinavian countries, specifically Norway and Sweden this time. Since I had completed the line from Stockholm to Narvik last year, this year I decided to travel over the Arctic Circle again, but this time from the Norwegian side, from Oslo to Bodo, and this time of the year I was rewarded with snow and frozen Fjords. I also managed to complete all the main lines and cross-country passenger lines in Norway, apart from the tourist line from Myrdal to Flam, also the preserved tourist railways, and one or two freight only lines and some seasonal branch lines. In addition to this I also completed the border lines between Norway and Sweden, so I was quite pleased with what I managed to do, despite the reservation system and some trains being fully booked, days before I planned to travel.

Another night train and another night on the cushions, and I was back down the Nordlands Line behind Di4 number 4 655, departing at 21.09 from Bodo. I had another good night’s sleep on the way back to Trondheim, arriving at 07.15 into bright sunshine, and in time for breakfast. Shortly after we arrived, Di4 4 652, came into the platforms ready to depart back up the Nordlands Line to Bodo, there appeared to be only the two Di4s operating, I know one was under repair inside the sheds at Trondheim, but not sure where the other two were.

From Trondheim I was catching a train up the branch line to Andalsnes, which required a change at Dombaas. I departed at 09.53 for the 12.30 to Dombaas, then the 12.40 to Andalsnes, arriving for 14.10. This must be the most scenic line in Norway along the Romsdalen valley, the line moves from one side of the valley to the other, across some stunning viaducts and through some part spiralling tunnels to access the valley floor.

Andalsnes is a lovely isolated town with a tourist feel to it, I had two hours to walk around the town before my train returned to Dombaas at 16.17. I then caught the 10.45 behind an EL18 down to Ringebu, as the line was blocked with engineering workings from there to Favang, the next station, so only a 15-minute rail replacement bus ride, we arrived back into Oslo for 22.02.

I spent another night on the Oslo Central station until 01.30 and then to the McDonalds until 04.00, before returning to the station. It had been another great day.

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 6). Wednesday 27th March 2024.

I was back in Oslo and contemplating another trip North to Trondheim again, but this time I wanted to travel on the secondary line from Hamar to Trondheim via Elverum, Koppang, Tynset and Haltdalen, a journey of 6 hours and 48 minutes in an old two car DMU. The interesting thing about this was it needed a reservation and only operated 2 trains a day. I wanted a seat on the 11.56 arriving at Trondheim for 18.44, an ideal time to see the line, but it was fully booked and my only option was to book on a later train just before 17.00, which wasn’t ideal and would get me into Trondheim quite late and in the dark of course.

I caught an early train to Lillehammer, mainly to catch up on my sleep, I then returned to Hamar and caught up with some freight movements in the yard. The train to Trondheim arrived into the platforms at Hamar and I decided to act thick and jump on this earlier train, the guard came around as we had began to move, and of course told me I was on the wrong train and my reservation was for a later train, I apologised and offered to leave the train at the next station, however he said I didn’t have to do that, but may have to give my seat up and stand for some of the journey, I said that was fine, I was lucky in that I was moved 3 times, but each time other seats were available.

The train arrived on time, and I was back in Trondheim again, but this time I managed to find an hotel right next to the railway station for £55 and it was a decent hotel, it was great to get a shower after roughing in on stations and overnight trains for the last few days, my room was actually at the end of the station platforms, not that I saw anything in the night, for as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out for the count, I had covered all of the major lines in Norway by this time and decided to cross the border the next day and across the mountains into Sweden.

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 7). Thursday 28th March 2024.

After a sleepful night in the hotel, P-Hotels Brattora. I walked next door to Trondheim Central railway station, I was leaving Norway and heading for Sweden across the mountains. First though it was breakfast in the station and it wasn’t really that expensive, but mainly meats, cheese, and croissants. The northbound Di4, number 4.655 brought her rake of coaches into the platforms ready for another trip up the Nordlands Line to Bodo. That morning however I was on another DMU bound for the Swedish border.

The 07.31 DMU arrived into the platforms at Trondheim, and took me across the Swedish border to Storlien, with a change for a Swedish DMU to take me to Duved, and from there I had a reservation on a train direct to Stockholm and a late-night connection to Gothenburg for the night. Sadly, I missed all the connections, thanks to a broken rail on the outskirts of Duved, and after waiting for some time, the railway decided to take the train back to the last station we passed, called “Ann,” where rail replacement coaches took passengers to the next station beyond “Duved,” a station called “Are,” where I boarded another train which took us to Sundsvall C and waited for the next high-speed train direct to Stockholm. On the train between Ostersund and Sundsvall is a junction station called “Ange,” had my schedule not been so tight, I would have alighted there, for it had the largest roundhouse I had seen in Sweden, with plenty of freight locos in the yard, so a place to revisit.

Once things go wrong on Swedish Railways you are pretty much by yourself and it took me a while to work out how to get to my high-speed train and where to change once we were dropped off at “Are,” by the rail replacement coach. I had to explain that I didn’t have a reservation on the train from Sundsvall C, and I had to explain the journey I had made after the cracked rail incident, apparently a few more passengers had boarded the same train, so it was later announced that anyone involved in the delay didn’t need a reservation.

After all the messing around changing trains, and on a rail replacement coach, by the time I arrived into Stockholm Central, my planned itinerary was only 40 minutes down, but 10 minutes too late to catch my booked Gothenburg train, which was the last one of the night, so the next few hours would be spend around Stockholm Central until the first train in the morning at 06.34, fortunately a few all-night cafés are in the vicinity of the railway station, and with the help of a few coffees, the night soon passed. It had been an interesting journey though.

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 8). Friday 29th March 2024.

As the morning broke over Stockholm Central station, my train to Gothenburg pulled into the platforms and left on time, which was just before 06.30. I managed to book the last reservation on that service, which was first class for £11, a bit of a rip off when you consider I was using an Interrail Global, but it did come with a breakfast delivered to your seat and it was quite filing. It was a 6-hour journey across to Gothenburg, so after breakfast I reclined the seat and slept through to Gothenburg arrive at around 12.30.

Gothenburg is another city I have visited before and one I am quite fond of, after photographing what was in the platforms and yard, I walked out to the Hard Rock Café for lunch, and sat under Joe Walsh`s old Gretch guitar which he used with the Eagles and enjoyed a Spicy diablo burger with a char-grilled quesadilla for starters.

I was catching a series of trains to get me back into Norway, and ultimately Oslo for the night. This was mainly due to engineering works and it being the bank holiday, but I avoided any rail replacement buses. I was leaving Gothenburg at 17.25. The first part of the journey involved a tram outside the station to the first stop, (which more or less followed the main line), to Gamlestaden, which was an interchange with the main line, from there I caught a regional service to Trollhattan, a service train from there took me directly into Oslo, arriving just before 22.00. It had been a good day, crossing Sweden and having a few hours in Gothenburg, I was now onto the routine of the station and McDonalds through the night, until the trains started running again next morning.

shredder1

Established Member
Norway and Sweden, (Day 10). Sunday 31st March 2024.

The morning had arrived and saw me on my final required passenger line in Norway, departing from Oslo Central at 08.00 to Rakkestad arriving at 09.11, the line continues beyond here, but for freight only to Sarpsborg, (a bus services presently operates between these two stations), although it has been mooted that it could return to passenger use at some time in the future. I left Rakkestad on the 09.47 to take me back to Oslo Central, arriving at 10.56. I had bought another 24 hour all zones ticket for Oslo, so decided to catch a few rides on the older EMUs which are still around, but probably on borrowed time, the BM69s. I first boarded one out to Starbeck, dropping back to the busier stations at Skoyen, and later Lysaker. I was then on a suburban train heading for Lillestrom, when the train passed through Alna and I noticed a line up of freight locos along side the railway station, so I alighted there, it was the yard at Altabru, typically I found this on my last day in the country, but at least I managed to obtain some photographs from the platforms and footbridge, I was pleased at seeing my first class EL16s, numbers 16.2203 and 16.2211, with at least two more EL16s behind the front lines, but the yard was fenced off so you couldn’t really get around properly to see the locomotives.

After spending some time on Alta railway station, I caught the next BM69 EMU to Lillestrom. I later needed to start making my way to Torp airport. I caught a train directly from Lillestrom to Drammen with the rail replacement coach to Stokke for the train, just one stop to Sandefjord Torp and then the free bus to the terminals. I had a late flight, which was further delayed by a fire at the airport and part of the electrical systems going down, but all worked out fine and I arrived home early Monday morning. It had been a fantastic trip away, and I felt like I had achieved a lot. Thanks for reading.