• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shropshire to London link bidding war!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainFanSam

It has be drawn to my attention that a maximum of 4 rail operators are bidding for the rights to operate rail links from Shropshire to London. These companies are First Group, Virgin, Abellio and Keolis.

Has anybody heard or got anymore info on this supposed bidding war or is it just smoke in mirrors as per usual?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave_wm

These four operators are currently in the bidding to operate the InterCity West Coast franchise (Virgin Trains) from sometime later this year - it has been suggested that each of them could introduce services from Shropshire through to London (but don't hold your breath)...

There is a franchising process, which basically involves each of the companies making and submitting financial plans to the Department for Transport, and then one of them being announced as the successful bidder and running train services for the next 15-ish years (this right normally goes to the bidder who requires the least subsidy from the DfT/will pay the largest premium, which can inevitably result in some level of cost-cutting - see Cross Country).

Hope that explains it a bit more :)

TDK

Established Member
It has be drawn to my attention that a maximum of 4 rail operators are bidding for the rights to operate rail links from Shropshire to London. These companies are First Group, Virgin, Abellio and Keolis.

Has anybody heard or got anymore info on this supposed bidding war or is it just smoke in mirrors as per usual?

I would put my money on Chiltern, all depends on what happens to London Midland when the franchise is up

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

The new WC franchise is for essentially the same as the present VT service, except that Wrexham (and Carstairs) are optional.
To get new services from Shropshire to London, the winning bidder has to:
a) come up with the best price for operating the current service
and b) come up with options for new services that DfT feels it wants to buy

Bids by the four groups are in preparation, due in by May, DfT decision in August, startup in December.
As others have said, don't hold your breath that Shropshire will figure in the final shoot-out.

On top of that, Open Access operators can bid to operate services at any time (if there are paths available).
Nobody is bidding for OA services to Shropshire.
Alliance (DB/Arriva) is bidding for OA services from Euston to Blackpool/Barrow/Bradford/Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.