• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunt driver for c2c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy2019

Hi i’m New here and am due to attend an assessment for the trainee shunt driver position for c2c at the East Ham depot.

Does anyone know the salary for this position. Also I am under the impression from the advert that I initially applied for that it is fairly easy to progress to mainline driver. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimfrst

Training money is around £27k once training and final assessments are passed it rises to just over £32k. Minimum 3% increase for the next 3 years. There have been a lot of driver courses run lately and a lot of shunt drivers have been progressing to mainline. Have to do a minimum of 6 months fully qualified before u can apply for any mainline course which is advertised.

Sammy2019

Thanks mate. Do you know if there are any allowances on top of this for example unsociable hours etc. I am aware that Sunday’s are part of the 35 hour week.

Thanks again.

jimfrst

Also is there any additional weighting as East Ham is a London depot?
No same salary as the Shoeburyness depot. I believe. I believe that was done away with years ago as part of a pay deal. Way before I started.

jimfrst

Thanks mate. Do you know if there are any allowances on top of this for example unsociable hours etc. I am aware that Sunday’s are part of the 35 hour week.

Thanks again.
No extra allowance. Bank holidays for shunters outside. You can put in not to work and you may not be rostered on but it goes on a count of how many you worked. When you start you are given a average count so you don’t start at 0. Although if you are on nights probably very little chance of getting it off.
If you work then you can choose to get a day in lieu and I think it’s either 20% or 25% of the daily rate. Or a payment which I think used to be around £156 not sure if that has changed. I always opted for the lieu days

Sammy2019

Thanks Jim

I will be changing careers and taking a salary drop so just want to make sure it is the right move providing I pass the assessments so apologies for all the questions.

Is overtime readily available and what are the travel concessions like? I understand that c2c travel is free but what about other rail.

I understand the role of a shunter stands you in good stead to progress to mainline driver and is quite a sought after role.

Thanks.

jimfrst

Thanks Jim

I will be changing careers and taking a salary drop so just want to make sure it is the right move providing I pass the assessments so apologies for all the questions.

Is overtime readily available and what are the travel concessions like? I understand that c2c travel is free but what about other rail.

I understand the role of a shunter stands you in good stead to progress to mainline driver and is quite a sought after role.

Thanks.
Free travel on c2c. Free travel on Greater Anglia 75% discount on other TOC’s.
Overtime has dried up a bit lately (but sometimes 1 or 2 shifts still need covering each day) as there have been a few new shunters joining. But there are plans for more drivers courses in the future so when shunt drivers move onto the courses that’s when more overtime becomes available.
(At the moment there are plans to have at least 2 mainline driver courses running next year)

Cab2cab79

Hi all
How long would the initial training be for a shunter driver with C2c
Thank you

jimfrst

I think it’s around 12 weeks. Combination of classroom and practical training driving the trains and marshalling the trains in the depot. First 8 weeks will be based at Shoebury depot and the remaining will be done at the depot you will be working at. Either East Ham or Shoeburyness.

Ghuraba

Hi all,

i have my assessment on Tuesday. Any tips for the TRP1 & 2 will be appreciated

jimfrst

Hi all,

i have my assessment on Tuesday. Any tips for the TRP1 & 2 will be appreciated
It’s been a long time since I took mine so it’s probably changed. I just used the practice materials that were sent and kept practicing.

Sammy2019

I’ve got my assessments on Tuesday aswell mate. As above I’ve just been practising like crazy. Take it yours is at Southend aswell?

Scorpio75

Free travel on c2c. Free travel on Greater Anglia 75% discount on other TOC’s.
Overtime has dried up a bit lately (but sometimes 1 or 2 shifts still need covering each day) as there have been a few new shunters joining. But there are plans for more drivers courses in the future so when shunt drivers move onto the courses that’s when more overtime becomes available.
(At the moment there are plans to have at least 2 mainline driver courses running next year)

Hi Jim,
I'm starting on Monday the training for Shunt driver and, since it will gonna take a while until I'll get the smartcard, they sent me a letter "Authority to Travel".
I'm a bit worried because is written :
"To authorize this letter, please obtain a date stamp for your local booking office for the date of travel."
Do I have to validate somehow the letter?

jimfrst

Hi Jim,
I'm starting on Monday the training for Shunt driver and, since it will gonna take a while until I'll get the smartcard, they sent me a letter "Authority to Travel".
"To authorize this letter, please obtain a date stamp for your local booking office for the date of travel."
I’ll try and find out for u. When I started we were just given a letter to show we could get free travel. Didn’t have to get it stamped. Congratulations on getting the job.

jimfrst

Hi Jim,
I would try and take it to a ticket office at the weekend and get them to stamp it with Monday date. Lately the ticket offices have been very busy with the changeover to the new ticket system.

Status
Not open for further replies.