Shunt Driver

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by joshking5, 9 Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshking5

joshking5 Member

Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster ;). My question is about being a Shunt Driver. I am currently half way through an application for a vacancy that has come up, and part of the description states that the training offered with this job will teach me everything about operating a train.

Obviously it isn't actually being a trainee train driver as a Shunt driver is different but if I managed to get this job would that mean I would be fully qualified to the point that I could apply for better jobs? or will it at least put me in good stead to get a train company to take me on as a trainee in the future? Thank you for your information I'm glad I found this site you guys are very helpful.

2. Tibbins

Tibbins Member

I read somewhere on here it's a good way to get your foot in the door if a trainee job did come up in the depot you was gonna be working out of I think they might come to you first hand seeing as your half way to already being a train driver.

3. 387star

387star Established Member

Shunt driving can be more hands on more night work and driving trains at such slow speeds must be frustrating for a while?

You also have to retake assessments

4. Stigy

Stigy Member

Assuming a shunt driver is a depot driver, the assessments are the same for mainline driver do should a mainline position come up you won't have to retake the entry assessments. Instead you'll go straight to driver manager interview stage or be put on a course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.