• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter Driver, Battersea (Southern)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MayMay

Is this a trainee position? It says training salary and then in the job spec says you need to be competent to drive rail vehicle and be pts trained. Seems a very low salary for someome that is qualified??

Turner22

Trying to work out if this is a stepping stone to mainline?
With the new pay deal a certain number of shunters will be promoted to main line each year. Be prepared to be there for a few years before progressing.

Turner22

Is this a trainee position? It says training salary and then in the job spec says you need to be competent to drive rail vehicle and be pts trained. Seems a very low salary for someome that is qualified??
You train then become a qualified. Training is between 3-6 months

1812_s

does anyone know if this is the same assessment you would undergo for trainee driver?

Also easy to progress to train driver from here

Brody

Any idea what this would roughly be after training?, Would be taking quite a pay cut but greater good etc

Firestarter

With the new pay deal a certain number of shunters will be promoted to main line each year. Be prepared to be there for a few years before progressing.

Is that the same for shunter drivers at Hornsey? That they will be promoted?

LuckyJackal

Does anyone know the shift patterns and hours etc? And if it pays more then the post,
then How much more?

1812_s

Applied last night.

Got a invite to assessment today for mid April.

There was no SJE

Would there be MMI/DMI with this role?

Firestarter

I applied and got shortlisted in 2016 before having to pull out for personal reasons, there was no mention of travel time when I applied before, this time I see there asking about 1 hours travel time, any reason why that’s the case?

Stigy

Established Member
Anybody known how long driver psychometric assessments are valid for as far as southern is concerned?

Stigy

Established Member
They're valid for 5 years but many TOCs (Including Southern I think) prefer two years.
Yeah I understand this (I’ve become somewhat intimate with the whole process overbthe past year haha). It’s the individual TOC but I was wondering about specifically with Southern. Thanks for the advice.

MayMay

So its a good position to apply for if you’re looking to become a train driver in the future? Wondering whether to try for this or wait it out for a trainee train driver post in London...any advice?

1812_s

So its a good position to apply for if you’re looking to become a train driver in the future? Wondering whether to try for this or wait it out for a trainee train driver post in London...any advice?
I'm applied for this with the same thought. You have to be a shunter for 2 years first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.