• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter driver - similar recruitment process to mainline drivers? Do you also only get two 'lives' or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elz

Apologies if this many seem like a silly question to many but I’m nee to the rail industry and simply just want to double check my information.
Are shunter drivers go through a similar process as train drivers in terms of job application process. I’m aware that train driver applicants has two attempts at applying for the role across all companies but is that the same case for shunter drivers ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rhys37429

To my knowledge yes. Shunter drivers or depot drivers take the same psychometric test as mainline drivers so therefore you would only have two lives. This isn't two lives per job (depot and mainline) its two lives overall.

Elz

To my knowledge yes. Shunter drivers or depot drivers take the same psychometric test as mainline drivers so therefore you would only have two lives. This isn't two lives per job (depot and mainline) its two lives overall.
Hello, thank you for replying! I’m getting so much mixed replies from people thats why I’m asking. I applied for the shunter driver and now I’m being asked to do a MiniSCAAT test but I’m aware for the train driver it’s the full SCAAT Test

Elz

I applied for a shunter driver role and I have been asked to complete a MiniSCAAT Test online. Can I ask if anyone knows if I fail, how many more attempts do I have at applying for this role. Is it the same as a train driver where you can only take the test 2 times in a life time or is it the case where you can apply as many times but you have say 6months until you can apply again? I was given e stream la little noticed to practice the MiniSCAAT Test and I don’t want to waste valuable chances at applying for a position

Bucephalus

I applied for a shunter driver role and I have been asked to complete a MiniSCAAT Test online. Can I ask if anyone knows if I fail, how many more attempts do I have at applying for this role. Is it the same as a train driver where you can only take the test 2 times in a life time or is it the case where you can apply as many times but you have say 6months until you can apply again? I was given e stream la little noticed to practice the MiniSCAAT Test and I don’t want to waste valuable chances at applying for a position
As far as I know, the online tests won't count as 1 of your 2 lives. When you are invited to the assessment centre to the group bourdon etc that day will indeed count as 1 life.

Elz

As far as I know, the online tests won't count as 1 of your 2 lives. When you are invited to the assessment centre to the group bourdon etc that day will indeed count as 1 life.
Thank you for your time in replying to my question. Much appreciated

Class2ldn

The miniscaat isn't the same as the normal one, you'll still need to do the assessments and yes any lives you lose going for a shunter drivers job will count towards a drivers one aswell.

Elz

The miniscaat isn't the same as the normal one, you'll still need to do the assessments and yes any lives you lose going for a shunter drivers job will count towards a drivers one aswell.
Much appreciated.

387star

On Moderation
Perversely C2C declined my WAFV (grey flashing box test ) score as it was not high enough for their standards when applying for a Shunter role. I pressed a few times in error thinking the box had gone darker. At the time I thought I was stupid but it seems several have been under the same illusion.

However it was good enough for Thameslink despite their enhanced scoring. Safe to drive at 100mph up the ECML/MML but not to drive at 5mph in the confines of a depot.

Only The Railways...

Elz

Perversely C2C declined my WAFV (grey flashing box test ) score as it was not high enough for their standards when applying for a Shunter role. I pressed a few times in error thinking the box had gone darker. At the time I thought I was stupid but it seems several have been under the same illusion.

However it was good enough for Thameslink despite their enhanced scoring. Safe to drive at 100mph up the ECML/MML but not to drive at 5mph in the confines of a depot.

Only The Railways...
Interesting

TeaTrain

@387star I wrote about that exact thing in my dear diary thread!! When it was showing the example I could of swore it was a darker shade. Pressed it 3 times in a row before realising lol. Still passed but I’m sure it was pretty damn close!

Status
Not open for further replies.