• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adadam

Evening folks - first time poster here!

I've passed the application stage for Shunter-Driver for Southeastern based at Grove Park - I'm now in a talant pool waiting for the next stage.
The job was advertised as being "for future opportunities"... so was just wondering if anyone could tell me...

a) any idea how long i can expect to wait?
b) is there a quick turnover of staff in shunter driving? The impression i get is that shunting is a bit of a springboard for being a mainline driver...
c) what sort of shift-work does the job entail? i understand it involves working through the night, which doesnt bother me to be honest - i've worked shifts for nearly 10yrs... my current job though i work 4 nights in a row and 2 are 12hrs - i'm hoping train work will be a bit less brutal...

would really appreciate any info or feedback anyone can provide - thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GMT

Same as you but for Gillingham. I applied at the beginning of June. I think it's going to be a long wait.

dapc

B) from what I've heard from a TOC I worked for.... shunter drivers usually don't move. No one really takes on the job and not the really expect to be upgraded any time soon to a mainline driver. If anything get the shunter driver job and use the experience to step stone to a different company as shunter driver places are hard to fill as most people try to jump into trainee driver roles. I hope that makes sense.
shunter driver drives in yards and depots. There might be a little mainline dependant on depot location. It's a 24/7 job I would say most likely working 11hour max days with 12 hours rest periods.

As above expect to wait a while. In mean time apply for other jobs!

GuideRail

I got through initial application as well. I would say that it is a spring board to mainline driving as southeastern never advertise for trainee drivers. My bruv is a driver for FGW started on LTV and is now full HSS. He tells me all the depot boys always get the trainee driver roles now and in particular when old oak closes in 2 years. So as southeastern operate HS1 then I would say they would have the same process :D

Class2ldn

People do go from shunting to mainline at southeastern but it's not a done deal.

GMT

@Adadam,

Since your first post, have you heard anything from SE or are you still waiting? Are there others on this forum in Adadam's situation?

Adadam

@gmt.
Yeah invited to assesment 14th of this month!
Unfortunately not sure if illlvbe able to make it

GMT

Thank you Adadam.

Give it your best shot. Still waiting for the Gillingham depot.

All the best and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.