• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter MB2 job??

Status
Not open for further replies.

redandblue

Hi all, I'm due to become a 'Shunter/Pointsman MB2' at Clapham Depot and was wondering what exactly I'm letting myself in for?! What does the 'MB2' part of the job title mean? Is it a class of maintenance? I'd be interested to hear anyone's views or experiences in this type of role. I'm really looking forward to the job and just hope I can tolerate the night-shifts!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
I have no idea what MB2, but without being rude, wouldn't it have been worth asking that at the interview stage? Its should be important to know what your role involves before taking it on?

redandblue

They told me that I would be coupling/uncoupling carriages, organising and preparing the trains ready for the drivers and doing some minor maintenance. But what I was really asking was specifics about the job as I haven't worked on the railways before!

9K43

Sounds to me like a shunters job, doing train prep and making up of trains.
Hooking on and off, brake testing, knocking out cripples in a train formation.
Examining a train formation before it goes on the mainline.
I did this type of work for 27.5 years, as a guard, trainman team member ' B'
Tip never hook on or off without wearing leather gloves, and when a train is leaving the depot always do a Roll by to ensure there are no brakes pined down , as this will come back to haunt you as your name will be on the tops sheet. (Sacking offence.)

U51

9K43, excuse my ignorance, but what is 'Roll by' & what are 'Pinned Down' brakes (can only assume stuck on)? Not an issue, just curious.
Many Thanks,
Regards,
u51

AlexS

Established Member
Watching as a train departs to make sure that no handbrakes have been left on and the brakes aren't dragging on the train, in a nutshell!

I would assume MB2 is a payband - probably Maintenance Band 2 or similar.

U51

That's pretty much what I thought, thanks AlexS.
Regards,
u51

Status
Not open for further replies.