• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photohunter71

It occurred to me whilst looking at classes 08/09 shunters that they will eventually need replaced,so what with? I had looked on the Vossloh site and had seen their G6 shunter locomotive,if some of these can be built to fit UK loading guage,then maybe we could replace the 08/09's with them? Or are our Marshalling yards operating with another idea?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
A lot of it is done with the mainline locos. Bear in mind that there's a heck of a lot less marshalling done these days.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I think Hunslet have recently launched a new design with just this in mind, although of course there's much less need for shunting in goods yards, and something like the Vossloh G1206 would probably be most useful as it could be used for line work as well, perhaps as a class 20/37 replacement.

Photohunter71

Shame that this is the state of it all now,if we'd had large marshalling yards I'm sure the G6 would be an ace replacement.The G1206 would be good as a type 2 replacement,but I don't think freight companies are looking at type 2's anymore

12CSVT

Established Member
At many locations the role of shunter is carried out by a former main line loco which has been confined to working within a depot or yard.

For example Freightliner have often used a class 47 as a yard shunter at Basford Hall (not sure if this is still the case), and earlier this month a class 60 was deputising for an unavailabe class 08 at Scunthorpe steelworks.

Pen Mill

There are around 40 yard shunters (made up of sorting sidings and intermodal terminals) plus about 80 depot shunters (mainly TOC & Depot owned) still working.
There are a further number eg Foster Yeoman , working at rail-connected industries.

If you consider that the likes of Freightliner / EMT/ Alsthom / First Group / GBRF etc. most probably picked these machines up for peanuts, it's highly unlikely that they'll be looking at investing large sums of capital expenditure on a shunter replacement policy.

In the case of the TOCs who own these machines, their franchise terms could not possibly justify a 15/20 year leasing position.

As I think there are a fair number of 08s available from leasing companies (BARS,HNRC ?) at a fraction of new cost , the replacement policy will probably be one of Mend,Beg, steal,borrow and Main line including dare I say 60s !.

DXMachina

I wonder if given the huge extra cost of designing to the UK loading gauges, the next generation of shunters might be continental designs and their immediate usage areas cleared for the larger loading gauge.

Clearing a yard and a stabling point (where the two coincide geographically) for a krauss-maffei (or similar) off-the-shelf product might be comparatively cheaper than speccing a new design.

Status
Not open for further replies.