• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sidings north of Crossrail west portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozzy0603

Hi All,

What are the new non-electrified sidings to the north of Crossrail west portal for please?
I believe crossrail has its own electrified turn-around line between the two running lines for trains to turn at the portal.
These new sidings looked like they used to be for the old (Hanson?) concrete plant, and they run underneath the new bus depot. It does also look like the sidings crosses the CBTC crossrail zone, so if its for freight trains I can't see a clear route to get trains in and out of this line that are not equipped with CBTC?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surely they still are for the Tarmac? concrete plant? (Even if currently shown OOU in the sectional appendix.) Access from the up relief (line 6?) a few hundred yards west of the Westway bridge?

Not sure about the junction name though, is it Portobello Jn?

Last edited:

Lozzy0603

Ah thanks. Will trains not equipped with CBTC (e.g. class 66?) to cross to this sidings then when CBTC is online and in use for all of the Crossrail trains on the conflicting route? I see there are still some coloured light signals in use for now.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
To add detail to Nippy’s reply, (after struggling with the forum search for a while), I eventually found the link to a Network Rail document in an older thread which goes into great detail about the transitions between Crossrail CBTC and normal signalling:
https://www.networkrailconsulting.c...cbtc-interfaces-crossrail-signalling/download
The nitty gritty can be found on page 14; entry to Padd New Yard must be via points 8049A if I have got my bearings correctly?

dmncf

To add detail to Nippy’s reply, (after struggling with the forum search for a while), I eventually found the link to a Network Rail document in an older thread which goes into great detail about the transitions between Crossrail CBTC and normal signalling:
https://www.networkrailconsulting.c...cbtc-interfaces-crossrail-signalling/download
The nitty gritty can be found on page 14; entry to Padd New Yard must be via points 8049A if I have got my bearings correctly?

Strange that the diagram on page 13 doesn't accord with the diagram on page 14; Turnback B changes from having a bigger stop to being a through route, and Turnback A vice versa.

kevin_roche

Strange that the diagram on page 13 doesn't accord with the diagram on page 14; Turnback B changes from having a bigger stop to being a through route, and Turnback A vice versa.

That is quite old now and I believe the transitions in the area are now going to be CBTC - TPWS and vice versa. The transition to ETCS is now going to be From/To TPWS near the airport junction

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That is quite old now and I believe the transitions in the area are now going to be CBTC - TPWS and vice versa. The transition to ETCS is now going to be From/To TPWS near the airport junction
Sure, it’s all been overtaken by recent events, but the original question was only really whether or not the aforementioned sidings were within the CBTC zone, and I think it’s been shown not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.