• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sign at Stoke-on-Trent station

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolf

Evenin' all,

Above platform 3 (hanging down) at Stoke-on-Trent station there's a sign that has been bugging me for a while. Tried taking a photo on my phone but you can't see it at all because of the light, but I made a note of what it says.

It's a smallish (maybe 2 foot wide, max) black sign with white lettering on it that says:

'Crewe 14 14x to 16
13 22 23 24 25 25x 26 26x 27
28 30 33 34 47 48 70 71 71t''

As I say, I've just been curious as to what its about (I'm assuming some sort of relic from days gone by?) and wondered if anyone on here could enlighten me at all?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saltleyman

Evenin' all,

Above platform 3 (hanging down) at Stoke-on-Trent station there's a sign that has been bugging me for a while. Tried taking a photo on my phone but you can't see it at all because of the light, but I made a note of what it says.

It's a smallish (maybe 2 foot wide, max) black sign with white lettering on it that says:

'Crewe 14 14x to 16
13 22 23 24 25 25x 26 26x 27
28 30 33 34 47 48 70 71 71t''

As I say, I've just been curious as to what its about (I'm assuming some sort of relic from days gone by?) and wondered if anyone on here could enlighten me at all?

Cheers.

If I recall you saw signs similar to this on most mainline stations the numbers refer to loading details for mail trains,numbers corresponded to destinations and were shewn on loaded "brutes" so the loading staff knew which part of the train to load the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.