• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal boxes called "cabins". Was this just an L&Y habit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S&CLER

Growing up in an ex-L&Y area, I used to hear boxes commonly referred to as cabins, e.g. by my neighbour (a retired signalman) and by someone I knew at school whose father was a signalman. To this day Parbold box bears the nameboard Parbold Cabin. Was this just an L&Y custom, or was the term used (officially or unofficially) on other companies' lines as well? At the back of my mind is a feeling that the Mersey Railway had boxes lettered Cabin A, B etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
"The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide to Design" (Signalling Study Group, 1986 Oxford Publishing Co.) says that in the early days of the railways there was a range of names given to signal boxes or cabins, but these two terms predominated from the 1870s onwards. This book gives no indication as to which term was more popular with which company.

Status
Not open for further replies.