• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilric

When overland trains are following another train further up the track can they receive two double yellows in a row?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Yes, but only because the signals are clearing to double yellow ahead of you because of the passage of trains in front. The sequence is still G YY Y R. If you match the speed of the train in front identically, there is no reason why you cant receive 100 double yellow aspects in a row.

Railsigns

Established Member
Yes, but only because the signals are clearing to double yellow ahead of you because of the passage of trains in front. The sequence is still G YY Y R.
Where signals are closely spaced, you can have consecutive double yellows in the sequence: G YY YY Y R.

GB

Established Member
Yes, but only because the signals are clearing to double yellow ahead of you because of the passage of trains in front. The sequence is still G YY Y R. If you match the speed of the train in front identically, there is no reason why you cant receive 100 double yellow aspects in a row.

I think the OP means the train is approaching a double yellow with the next signal in the sequence also a double yellow..

Train1 > YY YY Y R Train2

...and the answer is yes you can.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would have thought the same would apply to Single Yellows as well.

Surely it applies to every signal aspect (apart from Red I suppose seeing as that has to clear to another aspect before you can pass it)?

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Where signals are closely spaced, you can have consecutive double yellows in the sequence: G YY YY Y R.

You learn something new every day! I guess this is one of those theory vs practice things though, because I have never answered g YY YY Y R on a rules exam (and I have had a few!) but always been passed competent.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It is done as a speed control as the braking distance has been deemed insufficient at some point, normally years after installation.

wessex

I never knew that either, I dont think that happens on our route, if it does I wasnt told :)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
On the GEML there are a few examples of 3 x consecutive YY on the Electric lines west of Gidea Park to deal with the short sections there. Much of this is being regularised for Crossrail.

westcoaster

Established Member
I never knew that either, I dont think that happens on our route, if it does I wasnt told :)

The only odd thing we have is the double blocking of purley ( g yy y r r ) on the fasts. Hence if your on the up quarry and get stopped at stoats nest, and he let's one across in front of you, you have to wait till it clears purley before you get a proceed aspect.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Yes, it's common on the "E" lines on the GEML east of Stratford where the signal spacing is very tight. If it all comes to a halt it's not uncommon to see what looks suspiciously like a traffic jam with trains nose to tail. We also have a signal like this on the 'Up' at Broxbourne where the normal sequence will be G YY YY Y R if the platform starter is at danger, again because of signal spacing and sighting issues. However, no this is not the normal signalling sequence for 4 aspect signalling as described in the Rule Book. "Double-blocking" is another topic altogether.

There's not much point adding to what has already been said in response to the original question as posed. I think it's already been covered.

O L Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.