• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller Application Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParDanMe

Good Morning,

I've recently applied for a Grade 2 signaller position in Blackburn and have just completed my SJT. I've looked at the Signaller Recruitment Selection Information Booklet and seem quite confident about the content within it an what to expect from the tests. (Although not looking forward to the lift tests!). In the booklet it talks about the interview stage and again I'm confident regarding answering questions on the 8 core non-technical skills. However, I do have a few questions and if anyone could answer them I would appreciate it

1. The advert specifically states Blackburn but would this mean the box in question is Daisyfield?

2. What information should I be expected to know at the interview stage about the box and surrounding area? It will be a complete career change for me and my general railway knowledge other than the stations and operators with be quite sparse. (A beginners guide to the how the railways operate could be handy!)

3. On the advert it states the position is for 2 residential signallers and one relief 18%. Should this give me a greater chance of getting a position bearing in mind there's 3 available and what does the 18% refer to for the relief position?

4. If I manage to progress would it be advantageous looking through the 1000+ page rail rule book in advance for the residential signalling school?

5. Finally, (Sorry!) and possibly the most important question - The Daisyfield signal box is due to close in 2026 if I've looked correctly. Would this mean I would be without a job in 10 years time if I am successful or would I be transferred to Manchester ROC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyd

1) potentially... I'm not sure on this one.

2) to be honest, none. The interview is just NTS based. Being able to display a keenness and knowledge in the pre and post interview chats won't hurt though, it'll also show preparation. A box visit is always a good idea if you get an interview invite.

3) yes it does increase your chances. The 18% refers to the increase in salary for not having a set roster (it will be set a week in advance but can be changed with 48 hours notice)

4) no, its gobbledygook without a degree of training. The only thing worth learning would be the bell codes, if you get the job.

5) it would mean that in 10 years time, people in that location will have the opportunity to move, if present union agreements are in place then. I would severely recommend moving up the grades more quickly than that though.

signal

Hi

Sorry I cant answer the questions, but I have been to the assessment so might be able to comment on that should you get there. Where did you find the date of closure? I have tried to find such information. Is there a master document online?

Longforgan

Protip: Do NOT look at the Rule Book until your first day at the training school, assuming you are first successful in getting a job.

Last edited:

ParDanMe

First of all thanks for the replies.

I found the date of the closure on a website. Doesn't seem to be official in anyway but had all the signal boxes and date of closures. http://www.signalbox.org/sectionc.php?year=2026

I'll also leave the rule book alone. Hopefully should hear something over the next few days as the closing date for the positions was today.

pdbaggett

Good luck mate, but don't expect anything in a hurry!

Ha yeah I will attest to that finished signalling school today.... About 10 month after signing my contract to actually accept the job... Nothing happens in the railway fast.

Goggy02

Hi pdbaggett. Hope the signal school went well. How did you find it? Is it still in York? Do you know if any future schools will be held in the south? Thanks

ParDanMe

Thanks for the reply. Got an email saying he SJT scores will be taken into consideration for the next stage of the recruitment process.

As goggy02 said, how did you find signalling school pgbagget? Also, what did you do in the time between signing your contract and starting signalling school? Carry on with your old job I presume?

woblynne

Hi Goggy,

I am booked to start Signalling school on the 12th October and was told that it will be in York.

I continued with my old job whilst all the paperwork etc was going through and whilst waiting for a start date. My manager called me up to arrange this for induction and school so I handed my notice in as required.

I received a call from HR 3 days before my last day asking if I had any notice period to work as they wanted me to start my induction on 5th Oct.

It pays to keep in touch with both your line manager and HR!!

Good luck
Mark

TomBoyd

This is something I wrote in an older thread about signalling school, but bear in mind it has changed since! And there are pass/fail assessments again!

Well, the course is awesome. I had 6 other guys on mine, aged 19-39, all hilarious and decent people. Put up in a nice hotel with free food, it's like a bloody holiday!

The course is a mix of classroom learning, which ranges from lectures to interactive stuff. There's also some bollocks in there, in the form of team building and silly, primary-level activities, but it's all good fun if you don't take it too seriously.

On the practical side, there's a lot of simulator work. Some of us took to it like a duck to water, some struggled and had to apply themselves harder. We all found it very enjoyable, so there was never a shortage of volunteers to help on the simulator.

There's also a huge amount of comms work, mostly while in the simulator. If you have confidence issues on the phone, as one of our guys started with, rectify them. Being a signaller is about being in control.

Some of the notes from NR say you'll be expected to come in early and leave late, getting time on the simulator. While on a few occasions some of us stayed late, we never, ever came in early.

You'll also have to occasionally apply yourself in the downtime to reading and learning the rules. There's not a huge amount of pressure to do so, as there is no pass fail test anymore, but I heartily recommend doing so, as the job demands an exceptional level of knowledge. That said, I didn't apply myself that much, and I caught up easily enough while on the job.

Having said all that, the group behind us had a very different experience. Their guy pushed them harder, they came in early and left late on most days. While we played board games in the hotel restaurant, they pored over rule books. So maybe I got lucky with a good group.

The main thing is that the fear is gone. There's essentially a 0% of getting kicked out (except for the obvious drink and drugs stuff) as all the exams are pretty much out. So kick back and enjoy 3 months on full pay in a hotel!

ParDanMe

Thanks for the reply. Got an email saying he SJT scores will be taken into consideration for the next stage of the recruitment process.

How did you get on with your application ?

Got a phone call yesterday inviting me to the assessment in a couple of weeks!

It is for Daisyfield so if I get through the assessment then I best swat up on the area it controls as I currently have no idea.

In the email invite it states look at the signaller recruitment booklet online which I've seen but it states in there you will receive a e-learning link which I haven't so I best query it.

Kc75

Got a phone call yesterday inviting me to the assessment in a couple of weeks!

It is for Daisyfield so if I get through the assessment then I best swat up on the area it controls as I currently have no idea.

In the email invite it states look at the signaller recruitment booklet online which I've seen but it states in there you will receive a e-learning link which I haven't so I best query it.

Well done mate I have also applied and been successful in getting through to the assessment fingers crossed for us both as there's three available :D

ParDanMe

Well done mate I have also applied and been successful in getting through to the assessment fingers crossed for us both as there's three available :D

Brilliant. Well done mate. What's your background? Do you know anything particular about the signal box in particular?

The assessments don't bother me that much just the interview and knowing about what's entailed and the area.

Kc75

Brilliant. Well done mate. What's your background? Do you know anything particular about the signal box in particular?

The assessments don't bother me that much just the interview and knowing about what's entailed and the area.

Customer services and sales mate what about yourself ?

Kc75

Pretty much the same. Retail store manager. Looks like we're in the deep end fella ha

Ha to be fair mate a lot of our skills and experience fit in very well with network rails promises and principles.
You in on the 26th ??

ParDanMe

Ha to be fair mate a lot of our skills and experience fit in very well with network rails promises and principles.
You in on the 26th ??

Yeah. 10:30

Looking at the 8 core non-technical skills I can definitely relate to them from past work experience.

Wonder why there's 3 positions for one location. At least we have a good chance compared to normal.

Kc75

Yeah. 10:30

Looking at the 8 core non-technical skills I can definitely relate to them from past work experience.

Wonder why there's 3 positions for one location. At least we have a good chance compared to normal.

Yeah hopefully mate I'm there same time so see you there.

In terms of positions not sure maybe people have just progressed to higher grades hopefully that will be me and yourself in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.