• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller assessment query

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Hello

I am soon to be attending the assessment in London.

Please could somebody confirm it is pen and paper or computer based. I am thinking of doing some practices on the map search and want to make it as realistic as possible.

I intend to be fully suited and booted, unless somebody would suggest otherwise?

Also, any other pointers that I might find helpful would be great.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mresh91

Pencil and paper mate. I haven't attended signaller assessment centre but I know of a few who have and passed as well. The hardest by far would be the lift counting/tones test.

Can't comment on dress code, but I'd personally wear formal trousers and a shirt, possibly a tie as well.

Best of luck.

woblynne

Hi, I wore a suit and tie to mine, as did others but some were in open collar shirt with trousers and no jacket.
All the assessments are paper based, some accompanied with audio. The practice booklet should outline all the exercises for you.
Good luck
Mark

Lddex

Paper and pen, which they supply.

Easy day. The people in charge make it as relaxing and stress free as they can and put you at ease. They will spend time to make sure you have understood what is needed for each section and they let you practice the examples as many time as is needed (or is fair o make sure you know what is required) I had one in mine that asked for the examples and instructions to be repeated overfill times. Think in the end the assessor asked us if we would mind leaving for a tea break so she could go over what was required in private... Most of us stayed as it was beneficial to keep hearing what was required to make sure we had understood.

Looking back I would say its quite hard to practice for tests, which is why they don't really send out any practice material. Like Signal said and many more... the lift test is the worse, but seriously as long as you concentrate and go through the examples before hand you'll be fine.

In terms of clothes. I wore a suit and tie, others didn't... But I was thinking first impressions but the people who interview you aren't there and the only thing that is mentioned is your results... So I would go in what you feel comfortable in, its a long day and if like me wearing a suit and tie makes you uncomfortable, maybe a smart/cas is the better option.

Good Luck.

samlf

As all others say - pen and paper based, you are provided with all materials.

All they do is pass top 5 to interviewing manager, so no mention of dress but up to you if you go smart or smart/casual.

Good luck, I had mine last week and found out if pass/fail within 24hrs!

signal

Thanks everybody

Good point about the comfort. I think that it will be more important to be relaxed as you say, I might consider smart casual.

If the assessment centres run fairly often, as seems to be the case, I am surprised there are not more theads on here with people asking questions.

One last question, is there a scheduled break? 4 hours seems quite a long time.

Last edited:

TomBoyd

Definitely go more casual than smart, for comfort. The assessment is run, IIRC, by an outside contractor, not NR HR.

There was a break on mine, but it never feels that intense.

BRblue

Having passed the assessment a few months back I can confirm that all tests are pen and paper which they supply. I dressed smartly for mine but I felt overdressed to be honest... casual is probably the way to go
One last thing take a drink in with you... although you get a break half way through you will find having a drink between tests helps.

Johncleesefan

In terms of clothing, I would always recommend you go in your finest Sunday attire, no doubt about it. Whoever is conducting the interview/assessment. You need to use all the tools available to make yourself stand out from the crowd and this includes what you wear. Hindsight is a hell of a thing looking back and I felt overdressed in all my assessments but would do exacly the same over as I got the job. Don't do anything by halves and best of luck ??????

signal

Ordinarily I would wear a suit. Though in this instance it might be best to just go for comfort (but still smart of course), given the length of time the assessment could last. If all that candidates are judged on is performance, I think anything that could potentially improve performance should be given priority.

Plus my suit isnt the best fitting, to an extent that people would be forgiven for thinking I was on my way to a 1970s convention due to the flared trousers, so it might not be the best look anyhow. I will certainly be investing in a new one should I progress to the interview stage.

Last edited:

carriageline

Established Member
Definitely go more casual than smart, for comfort. The assessment is run, IIRC, by an outside contractor, not NR HR.

There was a break on mine, but it never feels that intense.

It is run by HR, at least the ones I have done are!

Shirt and trousers would be fine. Whilst it is only a HR bod that is there, I'm sure if you turned up scruffy your application would be scuppered. There's always a possibility of that HR bod would be at the interview too.

As others have said, it's pen and paper. Just glide through the practice book so you have an understanding of the tests and are more ready on the day. Don't worry too much about practice as most of the tests are simple enough. If you don't understand, keep asking until you do. That's the most important thing.

TomBoyd

It is run by HR, at least the ones I have done are!

Shirt and trousers would be fine. Whilst it is only a HR bod that is there, I'm sure if you turned up scruffy your application would be scuppered. There's always a possibility of that HR bod would be at the interview too.

Fair enough!

Mine might have been different. Two of the people at mine were not dressed up at all (jeans, t-shirt, one even kept a hat on the entire time) and everyone at the session made it to interview.

I would however agree with everyone else, that smart casual is the right balance to strike.

samlf

Mine was also run by HR - they said they have nothing to do with the recruitment process after the assessments are completed, they pass top 5 onto managers and then it is up to them so I would presume it doesn't matter what you wear really.
You do get offered a break after the TEA.

Stigy

Established Member
Pencil and paper mate. I haven't attended signaller assessment centre but I know of a few who have and passed as well. The hardest by far would be the lift counting/tones test.

Can't comment on dress code, but I'd personally wear formal trousers and a shirt, possibly a tie as well.

Best of luck.

A bit off-topic so apologies, but that aspect is the same as a driver assessment which got me thinking, are the tests similar in all areas? If so, are you limited to the number of attempts you can have at it?

signal

One final question.

Is it acceptable to make notes when doing the fault finding question? or are you expected to remember the expected changes to all 4 shutters in you head as you work through the buttons?

carriageline

Established Member
You have the 'key' as to what button does what in front of you. You can make notes and paper and pen is provided. I seem to remember making notes when I did mine

Last edited:

woblynne

Hi, paper for taking notes was provided by the tester and could be used in most of the tests (except the one where you have to read a passage then answer questions on it to test your memory).

Most of the time all the info you need is there in front of you.

samlf

You are given scrap but I don't think there's much time for notes really, other than the speed and time element when it's just a scribble for a sum.

Status
Not open for further replies.