• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller - Fiddlers Ferry and Monks Siding boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Hi guys :)

Does anyone know anything about these 2 boxes? There's roles finally come up within commutable distance to me :D

I realise the odds are against me, but as I keep saying you have to be in it to win it, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on these 2...?

Thank you!

Martin

EDIT: Forgot to ask... can you apply for 2 places at once with NR...? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
There's no problem applying for more than one vacancy at once with NR, unless the policy has changed recently (unlikely). It's been a while now, but the approach that worked for me was to apply for as many jobs within a sensible distance as possible.

Both nice quiet (very quiet) boxes by the looks of it, some recent resignalling to put a bit more onto Monks Siding box (which has gained a small panel?) - which might point to it being reasonably secure for now.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thank you, that's very helpful :) I'll go for both - can't hurt, and I'm going in with suitably low expectations :))

kelv

I completed the 70 question thing the other day & the application timed out, took a while because I was having to put details in the boxes after answering yes to questions.
ANNOYING.
I guess I'll have to create a word doc at the same time & paste the answers on it because apparently you have to complete it separately for each application.
I have valid test results in their system but although they've told me that I scored high on the tests they've never been in 'the top 10' to get me to the next stage.

Been trying to locate the boxes to no avail.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I found both boxes after a quick Google search! Yes the application is annoying, deffo do the Word method as you say :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
I've been invited to an assessment centre on September 5th! To say I'm surprised is an understatement!!!!

Anyone else joining me...???

martin2345uk

Established Member
I'm bloody terrified! Congrats though!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No one else on here I take it then? Shame, I was hoping for some familiar names to make it all a bit less scary.

Been looking at the tests we're gonna have to take, some of them seem very daunting indeed!!

LimeStSte

I'm bloody terrified! Congrats though!
No one else on here I take it then? Shame, I was hoping for some familiar names to make it all a bit less scary.

Been looking at the tests we're gonna have to take, some of them seem very daunting indeed!!

Yeah got a couple of people in our place who have recently sat the assessment days and had signaller interviews so I will be getting a few tips off them!

It says 8 make it through to the assessment day, with it being 2 positions do you think it will be 16 or still just 8?

best of luck

LimeStSte

"our place" I assume you work at Lime Street in some capacity...?

Yeah, CSA for Network Rail.

Out of interest, is your assessment day for both positions?
Mine has only updated to assessment for the Monks Siding box and Fiddlers Ferry is still down as test complete

martin2345uk

Established Member
Yeah, CSA for Network Rail.

Out of interest, is your assessment day for both positions?

Mine has only updated to assessment for the Monks Siding box and Fiddlers Ferry is still down as test complete

Oh that's a good question, I'm not sure, do you see that by logging into the application site thingy?

So you're an internal applicant, I thought they only went external if there weren't any internals..? :)
Ah I found where you were looking :)

Mine is the same as yours - Fiddlers Ferry still says Test Complete...

Martin

LimeStSte

Oh that's a good question, I'm not sure, do you see that by logging into the application site thingy?

So you're an internal applicant, I thought they only went external if there weren't any internals..? :)
Ah I found where you were looking :)

Mine is the same as yours - Fiddlers Ferry still says Test Complete...

Martin

Think they open it up for external if there is not many internal applicants but I'm not entirely sure!

Haven't been able to find much info on the box online other than a bit of history and pictures.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Same here, looks quite tucked out the way, also presumably operates the adjacent level crossing. Also looks to me like a freight only line.

I'm still waiting for them to email me to say 'sorry we made a mistake you didn't pass the online test'.

Reading other threads on here it looks like there will be 16 of us as 2 positions for this box. So exciting :)

LimeStSte

Has your application for Fiddlers Ferry changed yet? Mines still on test completed but got the assessment for Monks Sidings and Ditton SB which closed at a later date.

LimeStSte

Congratulations!

Thanks mate!
Got a rejection email last Friday which I expected, followed by a phone call off the LOM on Monday to tell me that it was sent in error and he wants to give me the job. Really looking forward to getting to signalling school now at the age of 22!

MylesHSG

Thanks mate!
Got a rejection email last Friday which I expected, followed by a phone call off the LOM on Monday to tell me that it was sent in error and he wants to give me the job. Really looking forward to getting to signalling school now at the age of 22!

Congratulations. I'll be at York Signalling school starting the 14th November if my current employer plays ball with my notice period :)

LimeStSte

Congratulations. I'll be at York Signalling school starting the 14th November if my current employer plays ball with my notice period :)

14th of November would be ideal for me but I imagine my current manager will have other ideas!
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.