• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8tie

I'm sure this has been asked so many times but not much comes up when I search!

Does anyone have any tips for a signaller interview? If I prepare for questions on the 8 NTS should I be ok?

:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

contrad!ction

Does anyone have any tips for a signaller interview? If I prepare for questions on the 8 NTS should I be ok?

In short, yes.

There will be 8 questions, each focusing on 1 of the NTS as well as some more general questions about the role of a signaller, your career to date etc...

More generally it's much more about the skills that you demonstrate rather than the examples themselves. Also, make sure you use the STAR method and keep it succinct and on point!

Good luck :D

Tomnick

Established Member
I'd also suggest (at the risk of stating the obvious) thinking of plenty of scenarios that you can quickly call on if needed, rather than being put on the spot and having to think of something there and then. All the usual stuff, times that you've dealt with an emergency, worked under pressure, failed miserably at something, fallen out with a colleague, all that sort of thing. When I last went through the mill (internally), the questions seemed to vary between "tell us about a time when..." and "what would you do if..." - they seemed to have the flexibility to ask either.

Boiliee

Introduction Introduce yourself and what you currently do, and tell me:
- Why are you interested in this post?
- What qualities do you bring to the role?
Conscientiousness Tell me about a time you uncovered a mistake that you were responsible for, and tell me what you did about it.
Attention Management What processes do you use to keep focused on a jo that you find boring where there is not much happening?
Relationships with Others Give me an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with.
- How did you handle the situation, and what was the outcome?
Multi-Task Capacity How do you prioritise projects and tasks when scheduling your time? Give me some examples.
Controlled Under Pressure What has been the most stressful situation you have ever found yourself in? How did you handle it.
Planning and Decision Making Give me an example of a time you had to be quick in coming to a decision? What approach did you take?
Communications Tell me about a time you had to pass on some important information; how did you make sure it was understood?
Willingness and Ability to Learn Give me two examples of things you’ve done in previous jobs that demonstrate your willingness to learn

These are the questions that I had sent to me for a signaller interview hope it helps

TomBoyd

Introduction Introduce yourself and what you currently do, and tell me:
- Why are you interested in this post?
- What qualities do you bring to the role?
Conscientiousness Tell me about a time you uncovered a mistake that you were responsible for, and tell me what you did about it.
Attention Management What processes do you use to keep focused on a jo that you find boring where there is not much happening?
Relationships with Others Give me an example of when you had to work with someone who was difficult to get along with.
- How did you handle the situation, and what was the outcome?
Multi-Task Capacity How do you prioritise projects and tasks when scheduling your time? Give me some examples.
Controlled Under Pressure What has been the most stressful situation you have ever found yourself in? How did you handle it.
Planning and Decision Making Give me an example of a time you had to be quick in coming to a decision? What approach did you take?
Communications Tell me about a time you had to pass on some important information; how did you make sure it was understood?
Willingness and Ability to Learn Give me two examples of things you’ve done in previous jobs that demonstrate your willingness to learn

These are the questions that I had sent to me for a signaller interview hope it helps

Please bear in mind that these are NOT necessarily the questions you will be asked. You might be given a scenario (not necessarily a signalling one) and asked how you would react.

Status
Not open for further replies.