• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller Job - the good bits and the bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8d3

Hi, I recently applied for a Signaller job. I've read quite a lot of positive opinions about the job but I've also heard that it can be a bit boring at times.

I'm very much used to working with lots of people, lots of members of the public which can always keep things interesting which seems to be quite different from a job as a Signaller.

I am starting to get a good idea as to what the job entails in regards to the every day Signalling process.

I'm just wondering what other aspects to the job are there on a daily basis. If any? Are there lots of meetings? Regular breaks? Many chances to speak with other members of staff? Additional training courses (aside from the inital training).

Any info would be really appreciated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, one other question. What are the differences between the different grades?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

contrad!ction

I'm just wondering what other aspects to the job are there on a daily basis. If any? Are there lots of meetings? Regular breaks? Many chances to speak with other members of staff? Additional training courses (aside from the inital training).

Any info would be really appreciated.

We don't have meetings as such apart from our 3/4 per yearly briefs which are basically rules refreshers/GSM-R training etc...

Breaks are really dependant on the box you work in. In a single manned location breaks will be between the passage of trains which if things get busy can be a bit of a contentious issue. In the larger PSBs/IECCs you will get 30/60 mins per 2/3 hours (again this can vary based on location).

Lots of opportunity to speak to other members of staff (certainly in the busier boxes), we deal with a multitude of different people and it's always nice to have a chat/moan with S&T/P.Way.
In multi manned boxes you have other signallers around you so you've always got someone to chat to.

Ultimately I think the job is what you make it, some days are very routine and you're just going through the motions - other days it can be very stressful. One of the things that I enjoy about my job is that I never know which!

Anything else you want to know just ask.

8d3

It's for a Signaller in Cardiff. Well I am used to working with lots of people but that doesn't mean that it's the be and and end all for me.

I'll be honest I applied on a whim because it appealed to me at the time. It still appeals but I can honestly say that it's not a job I've ever thought about doing.
I'm just sort of researching the job and finding out about the job while I prepare for my assessment.

It would be something very different, a very different environment and that also appeals to me. That's why my question is about the day to day, I am getting an idea of the processes of being a Signaller but it's good to get an idea of the working environment as well.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
In that case you will be at the South Wales Signalling Control Centre.
Basically it is a big room with several work stations, as seen here:
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...vHMAhXMIsAKHfkRAhwQMwgdKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...fkRAhwQMwggKAMwAw&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=435&w=640

Tip from a friend who worked there: drink lots of water because of the air conditioning.

I've visited the place and found it interesting but a bit impersonal, but then I worked in a single manned lever box.

t o m

A lot of people see signalling as a lone job. However, you spend a lot of time communicating with people, sometimes more than actually 'signalling'. You could be dealing with train drivers, shutters, track workers, other signallers, station staff, the public etc... So being able to work with others and communicate well is a big part of the job. In fact it's the most important part.

8d3

Thanks for your responses.

Aside from the initial training is there also a lot of job shadowing beforehand?

Last edited:

Sunset route

That's for your responses.

Aside from the initial training is there also a lot of job shadowing beforehand?

That's another thing that is dependent on what location your at, how many jobs are within the link, local agreements and what your new LOM expects from you.

A lot of conditions we work under are negotiated nationally with the exception of rosters which are a local issue, and with rosters you get vast variations of what they are and what local conditions get negotiatiated in with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.