• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

Hi Guys,

I've applied for 5 Signaller jobs through the Network Rail website, I have a few questions which I hope people can answer on here. This site seems like a great resource to share and learn about experiences of getting started within the industry.

I completed the SJT online assesment, Got a respons a day later saying they will be touch regarding the next stage, Any idea how long this can be?

I have applied for 5 roles in total, Few are in commuting distance from my home address, But 3 of them would require me to relocate. This isn't an issue for my but will it hinder my chances?

I'm only 24, I have held several different roles of great responsibility in my relatively short working life. I have a great desire to enter the rail industry as I was brought up with a railway family. Would my age hinder my progress for a role such as a Signaller?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

MattB :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm only 24, I have held several different roles of great responsibility in my relatively short working life. I have a great desire to enter the rail industry as I was brought up with a railway family. Would my age hinder my progress for a role such as a Signaller?
It didn't hinder my progress, at the grand age of 25! Experience, or more accurately how well you can demonstrate how your experience supports your application, is far more important than age. I don't think that a need to relocate will be a problem either.

Good luck, but be patient - it can take a while!

BRblue

It didn't hinder my progress, at the grand age of 25! Experience, or more accurately how well you can demonstrate how your experience supports your application, is far more important than age. I don't think that a need to relocate will be a problem either.

Good luck, but be patient - it can take a while!

Yes it can a take an age... 8 months for me. But perseverance does pay off in the end.

TomBoyd

I have applied for 5 roles in total, Few are in commuting distance from my home address, But 3 of them would require me to relocate. This isn't an issue for my but will it hinder my chances?

I have just been offered my third signalling role and each time I've applied I've had to relocate to take up the job. It will not hinder your chances.

They might ask about it, but you can just tell them the truth!

woblynne

Hi, as others have said the recruitment process can be long winded but if in any doubt contact HR for any updates.

I'm currently at signalling school and the age range in my class is 23 - 50 so no worries about that.

They look for people who can demonstrate Network Rails 8 Non Technical skills.

Good luck
Mark

Junk_girl

Hi,

I have applied for a Signaller role and have the online SJT to complete, can anyone give me any advice on it. Feel like my brain is fried lol.

Tomnick

Established Member
Hi,

I have applied for a Signaller role and have the online SJT to complete, can anyone give me any advice on it. Feel like my brain is fried lol.
Be honest, that's all really. It doesn't hurt to think about the non-technical skills whilst answering, but if you try too hard to fit your answers to what you think they want to hear (rather than what you'd honestly do in a given situation), then you'll be 'found out'.

Good luck!

BRblue

Be honest, that's all really. It doesn't hurt to think about the non-technical skills whilst answering, but if you try too hard to fit your answers to what you think they want to hear (rather than what you'd honestly do in a given situation), then you'll be 'found out'.

Good luck!

Have to agree with Tomnick here... the answers really should be about how you would deal with a specific situation, it's so they can get an idea about how you think and how you would react to any given situation.

Junk_girl

Tomnick & BRblue. Thanks for your advice. I think I am over thinking things. Iv got until Tuesday to do it, so will get it sent away this weekend. Thanks again :D

TomBoyd

Good luck!

I'm going to disagree with tomnick!

Its a scored test, directly related to the 8NTS, and its fairly easy to read through the questions. They aren't asking about the specific scenarios involved because that wouldn't be very relevant, they're looking at your character, and a broader situational judgement.

njarviss

How did you get on Junk_girl? I have interview next week for signaller job crossing everything as really want the job.

Junk_girl

How did you get on Junk_girl? I have interview next week for signaller job crossing everything as really want the job.

Njarviss,

I did my SJT yesterday so I duno yet, how long after you did urs did you hear back? Whats after this? Fingers crossed for both of us, I would love this...

njarviss

Hi
Took 3 weeks to get an email inviting me to the assessment centre and 5 days after got invite to interview. Good luck, I so totally want this job.
:D

samlf

It can be a very long process - I am still waiting for interview after completing assessments on 09/09/15.

I have now found out why though - the move to ROCs has been cancelled (in my area, at least) so they had to change roles to permanent and sort contracts with existing staff first.

njarviss

Hi sorry thought I'd replied I've applied for Crag Hall had interview today, crossing everything now

mac

Hope you get it, just got the long wait now. How do you think it went?

njarviss

Got email today to say unsuccessful, gutted but on the positive I got to the last seven. Will keep trying
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hope you get it, just got the long wait now. How do you think it went?

I was the first interview and thought it had gone well have asked for feedback but girl said they don't always give it.

MattB

Thanks for the replies guys!

Good news today I have been invited to the assessment centre end of January!

Any tips or things to look out for during th assessment centre?

kelv

What's the online test with SHL, I've been asked to do it and it says "Complete Instrument" is there a bit of all of the other tests in there or is there 1 called that because on the page for the practice tests it isnt listed ?

njarviss

Thanks for the replies guys!

Good news today I have been invited to the assessment centre end of January!

Any tips or things to look out for during th assessment centre?

I found the lift test the hardest part, have they sent you an assessment booklet? If so just read it and read it and practice.:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has anybody got in to a signalling job by starting as track maintenance? No more signalling in my area at the moment but maintance one on Indeed

woblynne

There was one guy in my Signalling School class that had started as a Crossing keeper, moved onto Track Maintenance, then a Signaller.

njarviss

There was one guy in my Signalling School class that had started as a Crossing keeper, moved onto Track Maintenance, then a Signaller.

I've applied for it so fingers crossed, I really want to work for Network Rail:roll:

t o m

Does anyone know about the "Signaller Scenario Assessment" part of the assessment day? I was sent the Signaller Recruitment Information Booklet and it says prior to the assessment day there is an e-learning programme to complete to enable you to carry out the signaller scenario assessment. I've not been sent a link or anything for this and HR just told me not to worry about it.

Lddex

Does anyone know about the "Signaller Scenario Assessment" part of the assessment day? I was sent the Signaller Recruitment Information Booklet and it says prior to the assessment day there is an e-learning programme to complete to enable you to carry out the signaller scenario assessment. I've not been sent a link or anything for this and HR just told me not to worry about it.

Doesn't exist.
Its old paper work they have not bothered to update. I had the same email and did not have those questions.

kelv

Just received an email saying that they have the results from me completing the signaller test online.
Strangely in the web address of the pdf when you open it in your browser is this .....

Test_Complete_-_Success

I'm obviously hoping it means I've been successful in the test.
Says my result and application will now be taken into consideration for the next stage in the recruitment process and they'll be in touch in due course.

Has anyone on here applied for the signaller position at Forres in Scotland? If so, have you received notification of whether you have progressed to the assessment stage yet?

Thanks very much

Status
Not open for further replies.